Prologue
1.8k 7 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was an odd normality to the situation as I sat before a wide and featureless desk in a large and featureless room. I had the impression there was a low humming sound yet the light fixture if it could be called that was a stark and unnervingly constant pale glow in a roughly oblong shape. 

 

I glanced about, doing what little I could to delay my inevitable acknowledgement of the figurative elephant in the room. It was quite remarkable how little was required to give the small space I had found myself that oppressive office... vibe, for lack of a better word. Then, I hesitate to call it a man, settled at the desk before me gave a polite cough into his hand and I held back an uncomfortable sigh as I met his gaze.

 

He was a pale figure, and little else, hunched over the desk with a single sheet of paper and a rather ornate looking pen between us. There was little doubt in my mind that nothing he had to say was going to be particularly welcome. I knew full well why I was here even if I had personally expected a bit more nothingness, absence of anything, a bit of void and finality to it all after what had happened.

 

It was untimely and unfortunate and not at all rather obvious in hindsight and embarrassing. 

 

Shut up!

 

He smirked at me, electing a rush of indignation and not a small amount of fear that he might have some degree of knowledge as to what I was thinking.

 

“I understand that you must be feeling quite unsettled to be here sir.” the pale man said with a sympathetic tone that was rather incongruent with the smile that graced his lips.

 

“Can’t do much about that now.” I rasped, glancing about to see if the metaphysical chamber I had found myself in had miraculously materialised an office cooler, it seemed quite fitting giving the atmosphere but alas, not.

 

“Ah well, that is not quite true. You see there is an opportunity for the rare fortunate souls that arrive at my desk.” He tapped the paper before him. “A choice, one that can be freely refused should you wish and you will be shuffled along to the usual process.”

 

“Can I get a hint about the usual process?” 

 

“No.” His smile widened. “But I can provide you with details about my offer.” 

 

“Please do.” I encouraged the pale man despite a conspiratorial part of me cautioning against the idea of doing anything approaching a ‘deal’ with what could more accurately be described as an entity then a man.

 

“I can offer you a rather all encompassing package at this time including a return to the mortal coil with your memories and personality mostly intact.”

 

“Mostly?”

“Well what living being can ever argue they are not in a constant process of change.” He smiled again, despite already smiling, somehow. 

 

Creepy.

 

“So any changes to my memories and personality are a result of the rather unfortunate and tragic.” He had the gall to snicker. “Events I recently experienced?”

“I would imagine that the majority of any such changes you experience would be related to that whole unfortunate affair, yes.” Just the majority huh? “The offer also includes an accelerated system for the accumulation of power that you will no doubt find invaluable as well as a guarantee of future offers for power, influence and various other boons from various interested parties.” 

 

“In short, I get to be alive again and I will have this system to ‘accumulate power’ as well as various contacts that can offer even more of this nebulous ‘power’?” 

 

“Succinctly put, sir.” The Pale man smiled and shuffled the paper towards me with the pen.

 

“And my alternative to this offer.” I mused as I began to read the actual contract sitting before me. “Is the ‘usual process’ something that you cannot or will not provide any details about?”

 

“Quite right sir, but I am sure there are some clear inferences you could make.” I clicked my tongue again cursing the lack of consideration from the Pale man. He could have at least offered me a drink while I considered all of this. It was quite distressing to be dead and still suffering from something as mortal as thirst after all. 

 

I signed the contract.

 

“Very good sir, I will get you sorted right away. Please be aware that I have to nudge a few things into place to ensure that everything settles nicely. I am sure you understand that your re-entry into the realm of the living must be just so in order not to upset any petty considerations other parties might have about silly things such as balance and the like.”

 

“I don’t understand in the slightest.” I deadpanned.

 

“Ah well hardly my problem now sir, just consider it part of the package, you need to fit in after all, can’t be sticking out like a sore thumb until you have gathered some considerable power.” I opened my mouth for a witty and brilliant response to his rubbish but at that moment he clapped his hands together and I suddenly felt rather sick.

44