Chapter 67 – An idea perhaps
28 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leading Cristy back through town towards the Inn, Dave began to talk.

"Okay. The market value of Mithril fluctuates, but if you consider some of the average prices and the fact that you don't have auction house access to sell ore or bars to other Legionnaires, then getting the town to do the work and taking a cut from the top is a great idea. I know the latest sales prices, considering that my data may be a little outdated as they change regularly: 1kg of raw Mithril ore sells for 3.1, and 1kg refined is about 11.3.

Eight tonnes of raw ore would be refined to about four tonnes of pure Mithril, depending on the smithy's and miners' skills. I have picked lower-end values to make my assumptions. Eight tonnes of raw ore at 3.1 equals 24800, so 1% is 248. Four tonnes at 11.3 equates to 45200, and 1.5% is 678. This all depends on market prices and also demand.

The vein size will determine actual potential, but the profits could be much higher, considering that eight tonnes is the minimum expected haul. The income from that mine would boost the town's value and potential by a considerable degree. The larger cities fight over Mithril mine rights; several skirmishes and battles have been fought."

"Silver?" SJ said.

"Pardon?" Cristy asked, looking up at SJ.

"Oh, sorry. I was just thinking aloud again," she replied, smiling. Looking at Cristy, she noticed how dishevelled she looked in the clothes she had worn on her adventure. "We need to get you some new clothes," she said.

"No. Not silver. Gold," Dave replied.

SJ gasped.

"Are you okay?" Cristy asked.

"Yes. Sorry, I just remembered something, that was all. Let's go to the tailors," SJ said.

Distracted from SJ's reaction, Cristy's face showed a broad grin, and SJ redirected them to Fizzlewick's.

The shop was open, thankfully, and the Quarterling fussed around the small Gnoll as he measured and confirmed sizes before bringing some lovely-looking clothes out for her to try on. SJ smiled at the God disguised as a Quarterling as he fussed over Cristy, making her feel she was royalty in his broken speech. By the time she left with Cristy, she had filled her tailoring inventory with three new outfits and boots or shoes to match each. It only came to 65 coppers, which SJ was sure was different from what it should have cost. Thanking Fizzlewick, the pair continued their journey to the Inn. Cristy's stomach had growled loudly as they finished in the shop, and she needed food.

When they reached the Inn, the lunchtime crowd was in. Several patrons exchanged pleasantries as SJ walked to the bar, leading Cristy.

Kerys saw SJ and Cristy smiling broadly. "Hello again," she said to Cristy.

"Hello," Cristy replied.

"Hi Kerys. Cristy is going to be staying tonight if that's okay?" SJ asked.

"Of course."

"I am going to clean up, but could I order two lunch specials."

"No problem. Would you like them in your room?"

"That would be great if you don't mind."

"Sure. I will ask Fhyliss to bring them up when they are done."

Leading Cristy upstairs to her room, she prioritised sorting a bath out for her while they waited for their food. Only minutes later, Fhyliss knocked on the door carrying a tray.

"Hi, Fhyliss," SJ said as she answered the door, stepping aside to let her in.

"Hello, and you must be Cristy," Fhyliss said, smiling at the small Gnoll.

"Hi," Cristy replied.

She carried the fully loaded tray to the table and placed it down. The tray overflowed with delicious cuts of Hogling, salad bowls, thick unsliced bread, and a small pot of butter. Floretta was an amazing cook, and the food was beautifully laid out and looked divine. Also, for SJ's pleasure, there was a large steaming pot of coffee. Floretta had even included a small milk jug and glass for Cristy.

"This looks amazing, thank you. And thank you for the coffee," SJ smiled, picking up the pot and pouring a large mug.

"Our pleasure as always," Fhyliss replied.

"How much?"

"You can sort it later when you come down."

"Thanks," SJ said.

Fhyliss left them to it, and they both sat down and wolfed down the food that had been brought up.

"I am so jealous," Dave said sulkily as SJ bit into a thick chunk of bread smothered in butter, deliberately smacking her lips to annoy him further.

Cristy giggled at the sound, not knowing its true meaning.

Once they had eaten and SJ had finished filling the bath, Cristy got in. SJ had filled it with the scented oils, and Cristy looked tiny in the large tub. Splashing and sighing, Cristy stayed there for a long time. Eventually, once cleaned and dry, which was no mean feat for a Gnoll to dry themselves, SJ learned, she got dressed in one of the sets of new clothes. It consisted of a pair of black baggy trousers, a matching baggy top and black boots, similar to what SJ would have classed as combats. It reminded SJ of a grunge style back on Earth; she looked so cute. SJ couldn't stop smiling. It gave her a look of attitude. Cristy loved the outfit and spun around, showing it off.

The afternoon disappeared quickly, with SJ and Cristy playing various games that SJ remembered from Earth. They stood looking out the window playing Eye Spy, which became Cristy's favourite, although she was terrible at it. SJ allowed her to win and kept giving up to make her feel better. She even sat with Cristy, drawing in her notebook from Fhyliss, and spent time teaching Cristy how to write her letters more clearly.

SJ had nipped downstairs briefly to return the tray and order some food for dinner, and it was only when Cristy yawned loudly that SJ realised how late it had gotten. Looking at her display, it was nearly 20:00, and the time had passed quickly. She had spent days at friends' houses with their kids and had forgotten how much fun it was to watch them as they learned something new and had fun playing.

"I think it is time to get you to bed," SJ said after Cristy's third successive yawn.

"I'm not tired," she replied, yawning again.

"Yes. You are. Come on now, let's get you tucked in."

SJ took her through to the enormous bed and eventually settled her down.

"Can you tell me a story?" Cristy asked sleepily.

"I could. Let me see what story I can tell you. Umm," she mused. "I think I will tell you about Cinderella."

"Who is Cinderella?"

"She was a poor, bullied sister who became a beautiful princess," SJ replied and began the story. SJ didn't get far before Cristy's breathing grew heavy, and her eyes closed. Carefully getting up from the bed, SJ bent and kissed the small Gnoll on her head, stroking her hair and pulling the blanket up to cover her.

"Night, mummy," Cristy mumbled.

On hearing the words, tears formed in SJ's eyes, and she stayed stroking her head until she began to snore lightly.

Walking back out to the main room and sitting down, she dabbed the tears from her eyes.

"You would make a good mother one day," Dave said sincerely.

SJ had never even considered the potential to have a relationship in Amathera, and the thought gave her a new round of emotions she had not considered since arriving. "Do Legionnaires have relationships?" she asked quietly.

"Some do," Dave replied.

"I had never considered it."

"You may in time, but for now, we have priorities: reaching level 10, upgrading your skill to level 6, and completing your tailoring quest," Dave said before adding, "Which you have ignored recently."

SJ flushed a little, knowing she had been putting off making the gloves. She had read the recipe but had not even attempted to make any yet.

"Well, I may as well start now. I can't go anywhere with Cristy sleeping here."

"Good idea and we can also discuss mining and money," Dave cackled maniacally.

SJ awoke the next morning with Cristy's small form cuddled up to her side again. Slowly extricating herself from Cristy, not wishing to awaken her, she climbed off the bed and went to the other room.

"Morning," Dave said.

"Morning," SJ yawned, checking her display. It was only 06:00, and the sun was already up in the sky.

"Are you ready for negotiations today?" Dave asked.

As they had discussed the mining and potential income last night, they had started to agree that the percentages offered for the Mithril mine were too low. Dave explained all the aspects involved with mining, including labour, resource needs, smelting, etc. The list was quite substantial, but it was nothing that SJ wouldn't have expected. He then gave rough costs for everything and concluded that the town would profit at least 50% from the ore, never mind if it was smelted into bars. SJ would see the Mayor today and request 5% and 7.5% accordingly for ore or bars. She didn't expect to get that much, but she wasn't just going to go with the first offer. It was time to try and use her Charisma.

"Once I have dropped Cristy back off at the orphanage, I will see the mayor again."

"Sounds like a plan. You are going to miss her," Dave said.

They had spoken about it the previous evening, and SJ had thoroughly enjoyed yesterday with Cristy. Under different circumstances, she would have loved to have taken her on acting as her guardian, but she couldn't justify it. Her life and future were uncertain, and it would be unfair to drag Cristy around everywhere. She had thought about the cottage and allowing Cristy to stay there but was worried about her eating properly, although she would speak to Charlotte, Brian, and Terence about it. It may be an option if they could supply food and look after her.

"I need to speak to Husa and grab some chisels for Terence from the market," SJ said, remembering that he was due to travel to the cottages soon.

SJ got ready and then woke Cristy up. After eating breakfast downstairs, SJ took Cristy back to the orphanage. Madeline was thrilled to see Cristy, and SJ handed over Cristy's new outfits, which she had bought for her. Cristy had promised she would not leave again, and SJ agreed to take her to see Patch in a couple of days. Walking through the town, she called in at a merchant's shop who sold tooling and purchased a set of new chisels before going to find Husa. He was busy building a new home on the Western edge of the town, and SJ handed over the chisels, asking him if he could drop them off. He had agreed and promised he would be free in another day to go down once he had finished making sure his team were progressing well on the new build.

"Time to see the Mayor," SJ whispered.

"I can't wait to see his face when you ask for the new amounts," Dave giggled.

The barracks were the usual hub of activity, and several townsfolk were busy talking at the various desks, which served different purposes for the township. SJ had read several of the desk plates, which listed the departments. There was virtually everything you would expect within any town hall. A large Bugbear complained about refuse collection, and the Ratkin desk clerk scribbled down notes about his complaint. The normality of the town and how everything operated still amazed SJ.

After waiting for her turn at the desk, she was informed that the Mayor was unavailable. He was apparently at a council meeting. SJ had no idea they even had a town council, but it did make sense, considering how everything was set up.

"Do you know when it will finish?" SJ asked.

"It depends. They can last an hour to several, depending upon the topics," the Orc replied.

"Where do they meet?"

"Upstairs, the next floor up. It's not open to the public."

"Okay. I will come back later then."

SJ was just about to leave when she heard her name being called. Turning, she saw Alice coming down the stairs.

"Alice," SJ said as she approached.

"Hi SJ. Would you be willing to join me? The Mayor sent me to find you; thankfully, you are here anyway. He would like you to address the council."

"Me. Why?" SJ said, confused.

"He would like you to explain what you found in the cave. He has made a statement, and the council questions its validity."

"Validity?"

"Orik is the Dwarven representative and oversees all Dwarven issues in the town, but he doesn't believe a Mithril vein can exist in this area. The Mayor would like you to describe what you saw."

"Okay. Sure."

SJ followed Alice as she led her up to the floor where the Mayor's office was, and then, rather than entering, she turned down the corridor and around a corner. SJ had never been this way, and a further set of stairs led up. They were not as grand as the set leading to the first floor. At the top of the stairs, she was met with a large set of double doors. Alice knocked on the door, and they opened. She led SJ inside. Two large orcs stood on either side of the door, and once she entered, they were closed again behind her.

Representatives from each of the township's main races—twelve in total—sat around a huge oval table, and the Mayor's large form sat at the head of the table.

"That was quick, Alice," the Mayor said. "Thank you for coming, SJ."

SJ felt a little nervous as the eyes of all in the room turned on her. "I was going to see you anyway, so it's fortuitous."

"Excellent. I have mentioned your discovery, but my esteemed colleague Orik would like to clarify what you found. Without further details, he is unwilling to release Shelly from her duties at the mine."

"No problem," SJ answered as Alice led her to a chair near the table's end. Slowly sitting, SJ felt even more nervous. "What would you like to know?"

An elderly and large Dwarf sat on the left of the table and began to speak. He had a long, thick grey beard that rested on the table and wiggled when he spoke. "You say you have discovered Mithril?"

"I have, yes."

"How do you know it is Mithril?" Orik asked.

SJ could not answer what her AI had told her, so thinking on her feet, she came up with what she hoped was a plausible story. Being aware that the usual townsfolk also had the same levelling and skill progression systems, she used that for an answer.

"We are given certain information when we are reborn as Legionnaires. This includes the knowledge of base materials within Amathera," SJ said, knowing that no one would be able to confirm it unless another Legionnaire came to town, and from what she was aware, no others had turned up since Darjey and Malcolm's deaths.

"I see. Can you explain what you saw exactly? The Mayor did say it, but can you please explain in your own words?"

"On entering the cavern under torchlight, the walls were covered in silvery-blue veins of ore streaking across the walls and ceiling. The light reflecting from them was mesmerising and beautiful."

"Was it more silver or blue in colour?"

"Silver. Why?" SJ said.

"There are several ores that have a silvery-blue colour, and many false claims of Mithril have been made over the centuries," Orik replied as he began to cough. Picking up a tankard from the table, he took a drink before he continued. These claims have led to many issues and conflicts. People fighting over an area to discover that the claim is false."

"Unless you have someone small enough to fit in the cave to confirm that it is Mithril, which I am 100% sure it is, the only way you will reach it will require mining the entrance, which can't be done currently due to the proximity to the Hobgoblins," SJ replied.

Everyone present began to murmur around the table, and SJ realised that the Mayor must not have mentioned the Hobgoblins to them. "Calm down, everyone," the Mayor said.

Several moments passed before quiet returned. Many faces were now etched with annoyance, and several even looked fearful.

"We are not going to do anything until we have scouted the area properly and checked the chances of anything being discovered if we did proceed. Our problem is that we will not know for sure without widening the entrance. If it is Mithril and we don't take this opportunity as a town, we can't continue sustaining the natural population growth. You all know how bad the town's finances are."

This revelation over the town's finances shocked SJ, although it did align with her thoughts over recycled funds maintaining the town's economy.

SJ sat thinking momentarily, and murmurs and conversations began from those around the table.

"Have you ever considered attacking the Hobgoblins in their own village?" SJ asked, raising her voice to be heard above the conversations.

At the comment, silence fell almost instantly around the table, and everyone, including the Mayor, turned to look at her again.

"What are you suggesting?"

"Why do you keep waiting for the Hobs to come and raid the town? I have seen how many are available to defend the town, and your numbers match or are greater than the Hobs. So why wait for them to attack you? Why do you not attack them and clear them from the valley?" SJ said.

A fresh round of muttering began around the table, and the Mayor sat scratching his beard as he mused over the comment. "We have never attacked them because they saw us coming from such a distance. When we reach the village, they will know exactly that we are coming and be set up to defend. This advantage could easily sway the outcome of a fight. Like how we block our roads with wagons, they could be ready for any assault. Any assault on a heavily defended position is likely to suffer significant losses. As the Hobs do every time they try and attack here."

"Maybe there is something you can do to stop that," SJ said.

"What would that be?" the Mayor replied, frowning.

"I mentioned the path the Hobs use to traverse the valley wall. It is a perfect place to perform an ambush, and if the Hobs army travels up the path, they will not be able to move quickly and will be spread out along the route. This would give you a huge advantage and allow you to pick them off."

"How do you plan to prepare the township force for such a situation? We cannot just sit out there waiting for them to march."

"Can you not draw them into an attack?"

A fresh round of chattering began, and this time, they didn't just stop when the Mayor asked for quiet. It took several minutes before silence settled around the table again.

"It is a thought, but I am unsure how to draw them out to attack," the Mayor eventually replied once silence returned.

"Well, we need to scout the location before we do anything drastic," SJ said.

The conversation continued for a while, and by the time SJ left, she had confirmed she would meet with a scouting party later that afternoon to return to the location. The reason was that as light faded, they would be less likely to be spotted.

Dave began to chatter in her head as soon as they left the meeting room about an idea to attract the Hobgoblins.

"Are you insane?" SJ whispered as she made her way back down the stairs.

1