3 – Dreamer’s triumph
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

20th April 1951 - Allen, Manchester

"Get up and get to work, you idiotic jackass!" He screeched down at me, kicking me in the gut.

Ow.. tears sting my eyes and threaten to spill, but I refuse to let them out. I have to be strong for her.

I gather all my strength and slowly pick myself off the filthy floor; his drunken eyes glare at me, drilling holes in my meek body.

I quietly promised him that this would not happen, and he huffed and removed his cigar from his mouth, blowing the smoke in my face.

"If this repeats, I'll make sure to bang your mother hard and mutilate her body and feed it to your ass." He growls, making me tremble.

Good thing I don't have a mother.

He gets up, towering over me and leaves the room. I sigh in relief and pick up the broom.

Watery tears roll down my scarred cheeks, making my nose all sniffly and stuffy. I feel sick, but I need money. Liam's parents are angels sent down from heaven, but I don't want to be indebted to them.

After work, I return home on foot, my head pounding and legs aching, but I need to reach home. She must be worried.

I reach the familiar apartment and knock. Like a sudden gust, the door swings open, and Liam's golden retriever is all over me. I squeal as the dog licks the dried tears off my face.

Such a sweetie.

Liam's head pops in behind him, his expression apologetic as he peels his dog off me. I smile softly, reassuring him. His eyes sparkle as he jumps excitedly.

"Allen! Remember when you sent that letter to that school for a scholarship?"

I blink, oh yeah. That had completely passed my mind.

"What about it?"

His grin widens, and he throws his arms around my neck, "You got accepted!"

I gasp audibly at his proclamation. I.. I sent that with 1% hope of ever making it in. 

Hell, I sent that as a joke. 

I can't manage all this.. I feel relieved.. too relieved. I find myself blacking out from the exhaustion and ecstasy as I melt in Liam's arms, his cheerfulness fading away as he calls out my name in panic and confusion.

But I can't hear him.

I'm going to be a student at Emberwood Academy.

This might just be the poorest and the finest day ever.

0