Chapter 90 – Plans & Schemes
803 6 58
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 90 - Plans & Schemes

Now that I was atop the walls and safe, it gave me a chance to calm down and think things through logically. However, I had already made some decisions after witnessing the display by the Lu Clan Leader.

This was my life here, and I would not let the actions of someone incompetent jeopardize it.

I looked at the governor and the Hong Clan Leader, wondering if they were akin to the Lu Clan Head. Upon closer inspection, they seemed more like politicians than competent leaders or warriors.

This may be my biased opinion, but they really paled compared to Song Song. I used to consider her a poor leader, but at least she possessed enough skill as a warrior to compensate for her mistakes.

Approaching them, I raised the two mantis arms I had with me. "Do you have any skilled blacksmiths in town who can work with materials from monstrous beasts?"

Considering cities experiencing Beast Waves, they usually had craftsmen to fashion weapons from the creatures they slayed every winter.

"Yes, I know just the right people for these,” the governor examined the monstrous beast's parts, then met my gaze and nodded. “I also dabbled in blacksmithing back in the day. What kind of weapons do you need?"

"I'm not well-versed in weapons or monster materials. What can you tell me about them? What would be the best weapon to fashion from these two arms?" I inquired.

There were some half-truths in my words. While I hadn't directly worked with materials from monstrous beasts to create weapons or artifacts, I had compiled a monster encyclopedia. So, the subject was not unfamiliar.

But I said that to gauge the governor's response. From now on, I would scrutinize everything they claimed about their abilities. Politicians often embellished their skills to secure positions of power, and these individuals now fell into that category.

"Daggers would work best. The rough form is already there. Since we don't have someone skilled enough to fashion them into a completely new shape like a spear or similar weapon," he rubbed his chin, appearing lost in thought before continuing, "I will put in a good word for you so you can get those daggers faster."

I nodded in agreement. "Good."

He had a grasp of the basics. Perhaps even more...

As the governor handed over the mantis arms, I watched as one of the guards collected them and swiftly left.

With that task completed, I settled down cross-legged and retrieved a couple of spirit stones from my pocket. As I began to meditate, I focused on controlling my Qi, forming it into a needle-like shape in the center of my palm and slowly drawing Qi from the spirit stone.

Unlike the Qi found in nature, the Qi within a spirit stone was less rigid and readily absorbed by the body without adverse effects.

This was something I had researched but never had the opportunity to attempt myself. This new source of Qi felt refreshingly cool, akin to a revitalizing drink coursing down my throat and permeating my internal organs.

Meanwhile, the governor and the two clan heads engaged in conversation. The Lu Clan Leader, now composed, recounted the events and circumstances. Throughout, I listened intently, ensuring he didn't exaggerate his actions.

"Thankfully, we managed to fend off the monstrous beasts while making our escape-"

Before the Lu Clan Leader could tell any more fairy tales, I rose to my feet, diverting everyone's attention back to me.

Regardless of my feelings toward him, I wasn't about to expose the Lu Clan Leader's fabrications in front of everyone. Despite his cowardly conduct and panic, revealing his falsehoods yielded no benefits, while concealing his secret did. Perhaps I could use this knowledge later as leverage.

"Anyway, it seems the monstrous beasts indeed had some sort of leader or instructor who taught them how to sense Qi and, to a lesser extent, utilize it. This mentor could either be a more mature monstrous beast or a demonic cultivator seeking chaos," I elaborated.

The governor nodded in acknowledgment, and the Hong Clan Head chimed in, "As expected of someone from the Blazing Sun Sect, your assumption was spot-on."

Despite their affirmations and the sincerity in their eyes, I harbored no trust for them whatsoever. During our escape, The Lu Clan Leader revealed he hadn't believed in my theory. It was safe to assume these guys were also peddling nonsense.

Initially, I had been willing to cede authority to others, considering their experience with Beast Waves. However, as the Lu Clan Leader demonstrated, experience could be a hindrance. They were ingrained in fighting monstrous beasts a certain way for decades, which was precisely why a "veteran" like him succumbed to panic.

The monstrous beasts had evolved, and our tactics needed to evolve in response.

Now, I needed to ascertain how to attain power and assume leadership of this operation without resorting to political machinations. If they could lure me into their arena and engage in political games, I knew I wouldn't emerge victorious. Especially against the governor, who had spent decades building a support base here.

Observing the three men before I engaged in conversation, I mostly tuned out their discussion and focused on their expressions, eye movements, and subtle gestures.

They had already shown they could fool me if they wished. Instead of distrusting them outright, I needed to get better at reading people.

Of course, that was easier said than done, but I noticed something peculiar as they conversed. The Hong Clan Head refrained from mocking the Lu Clan Leader. This struck me as odd since he was the type to relish such opportunities, regardless of their veracity. Yet, with ample material to ridicule the Lu Clan Leader about, considering our recent retreat from the battlefield—visible to cultivators due to their keen eyesight—his silence seemed out of character. Perhaps there was more to their rivalry than met the eye?

Despite my suspicions, I pushed them aside and focused on the present situation.

Having allowed others to lead because of my lack of desire for leadership, I had assumed a competition where there was none.

From now on, I resolved to take charge of this battlefront, as I should have from the outset!

With my mind set on my next steps, a plan began to take shape.

"Could you compile a list of all available fighters?" I interjected, addressing the governor and interrupting the discussion among the town's three leadership figures regarding potential nearby demonic cultivators. "I'd like to have a clear understanding of our troop numbers. Since I've had the most contact with the new monstrous beasts, I believe I can provide the warriors with more effective notes on how to fight them."

"Certainly," the governor replied with a nod. "I can provide you with the exact count of my guards. However, I'm not privy to the precise numbers contributed by the clans."

"Understandable. But by tomorrow, I'd like to have a comprehensive tally of our available cultivators," I stated firmly.

The governor's mortal guards would serve as little more than distractions against the monstrous beasts. Sending them into battle would be a futile waste of life and resources.

As I issued my directive, the Lu Clan and Hong Clan Leaders exchanged glances, their expressions becoming guarded as they directed narrowed gazes at the governor. Their reactions hinted at the beginning of a political skirmish. However, the Lu Clan Leader appeared hesitant, his gaze repeatedly drifting toward the forest we had recently fled from.

Whatever interpretation they made of my actions was inconsequential to me. While many aspects differed from my previous world, the one who commanded the army wielded ultimate authority and could seize control. So, I cared little about which faction boasted more members or which clan made the greatest contribution. My sole concern was identifying individuals who would align with me should the governor or clan leaders become overly incompetent in leadership roles.

"It has been quite a taxing day. I'll retire to the mansion graciously provided by the governor," I stated with a polite smile directed at the elderly governor, then bowed respectfully to the men.

There was no need to betray my thoughts on them. My only regret now was not seizing control sooner and abstaining from these political games. Had I done so, I might have been able to establish some form of defense.

Descending the wall, I noticed the tension among the guards stationed behind the gates. Despite this, they maintained a facade of camaraderie, exchanging smiles and banter, albeit still segregated by their clan affiliations.

As I strolled down the pristine road, observing the peaceful activity of the townsfolk, a sense of tranquility washed over me. Despite everything, I took solace in the knowledge that my decisions would prolong the survival of these people, rendering my endeavors not entirely self-serving.

Due to my leisurely pace, dusk had settled by the time I reached the mansion. The surroundings remained unchanged, and upon entering the courtyard, I spotted Speedy leisurely swimming in the pond, now tinged with a crimson hue.

The little guy was truly living his best, and I wouldn’t stop him. If I were a turtle, I'd likely indulge in carefree antics, enjoying life with nothing better to do.

Entering the mansion, I passed through numerous doors. I entered one of the simple bedrooms, reminiscent of the living quarters back at the Sect. The modest dimensions and close walls might induce claustrophobia in some, but I found comfort in the setup. An array I had placed around my room made it difficult for assassins to detect my Qi, and the vacant master bedroom served as an obvious decoy.

Reclining on the bed, I inhaled deeply, savoring the earthy scent emanating from the wooden walls. The room had a tranquil atmosphere, allowing my thoughts to wander freely. I spent several minutes contemplating various schemes and organizing my plans for the future, all while devising contingencies for any potential setbacks.

It was a tangled web of ideas but not an insurmountable predicament... yet. If things took a turn for the worse, I still had Song Song in a nearby city whom I could call upon for assistance.

Part of me was tempted to contact her immediately, entrusting her to assert control over the situation here. However, I recognized that she had her own problems to contend with, and I couldn't rely on her to resolve every obstacle that crossed my path. Some trials in life required my personal intervention.

...

After spending a few hours resting on the bed, I finally decided on my next course of action.

Rising from the bed, I stepped into the hallway to stretch, the confined space of the room offering little room for movement. Exiting the mansion, I was greeted by an armored guard holding a piece of parchment.

Upon spotting me, he promptly knelt before me. "Honorable cultivator! The governor has instructed me to deliver this document containing the names of all available warriors who could assist in the upcoming Beast Wave. Additionally, he assured that your weapons will be ready by tomorrow, personally overseeing their preparation."

I acknowledged his report with a nod.

"Please convey my gratitude to the governor," I replied, accepting his parchment.

The guard respectfully withdrew as I read the surprisingly detailed document, leaving me to my thoughts.

Remarkably thorough, the paper provided each soldier's name, age, and the latest recorded cultivation levels.

The governor's earlier claim of uncertainty regarding troop numbers was a mere facade to maintain appearances before the Clan Leaders. He likely possessed comprehensive knowledge of the Clans' military strength and chain of command.

Perhaps I had misjudged everyone else due to the Lu Clan Leader's behavior. I had been too emotional at the thought of defending the town against monstrous beasts with such incompetent people by my side.

The governor hadn't demonstrated incompetence thus far. Still, I couldn't stake my life and the lives of the townsfolk on his administrative capabilities alone. He still hadn't proven his competence in military matters, and I would never again assume someone was good at their job just because of their age or position.

"Sixty-eight Body Tempering Cultivators... not ideal, but not disastrous either," I muttered to myself.

While the monstrous beasts outnumbered the defending cultivators, the city's fortifications and defensive arrays provided a significant advantage, narrowing the gap. However, the efficacy of these defenses remained uncertain in the face of the evolving threat.

With a sense of finality, I tore the paper to shreds and utilized a partial array to incinerate it into cinders.

Despite my meticulous planning, uncertainty loomed over the outcome of the impending conflict.

There was only one thing I could count on: the amount of effort I could devote to my training before the situation reached its climax.

With determination in my heart, I made my way to a tree at the corner of the yard. Leaning against the mansion, it offered a serene view of the surroundings.

Snapping off a thin branch, I broke it over my knee, fashioning two short sticks. Imagining them as daggers, I recalled the various martial arts techniques I had studied in the Sect's library. Though lacking in formal training, I had little time to learn anything new.

Instead, I focused on mastering the fundamentals of dagger combat: more than simply stabbing with the pointy end.

 

Thanks for reading!

You can go to Patreon for chapters in Advance!

Patreon Plug: patreon.com/HolyMouse

You can join the Discord to hang out or for any questions you might have: Discord

58