Chapter 22: Nightmares as a vampire mean you still have some morals
512 5 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That night, sleep was not peaceful for Rose.

 

At first, her dreams were simple. Abstract and forgettable.

 

Then, at one point, it sharpened. Became a bit more real.

 

She was walking through a long, dimly lit hallway. There seemed to be stains of some unidentifiable substance on the ground.

 

Then she turned a corner and jumped as a man covered in blood lurched at her. Blood streamed from his eyes and cuts all over his body and his neck was at a very bad angle. He was clearly dead.

 

"You killed me," He groaned, reaching out to Rose. She stumbled back, terrified.

 

She did remember, although not well, the time that she had killed someone. It was when she was protecting Kira.

 

But it still haunted her.

 

Then another dead man came up behind her, this time with a bite mark on his neck and blood around his whole body. He flopped to the ground, crawling forward.

 

Rose began to cry, fear and guilt welling within her. She curled up into a ball and tried to ignore the nightmare.

 

It wouldn't let her.

 

Corpse after corpse, many of them not even people she knew, kept appearing and moving toward her, all moaning and wailing about how she had killed them, how she was a murderer, that she deserved to die just like them.

 

Then all of a sudden, warmth enveloped her. The nightmare faded away, being replaced by a blank white expanse. Soft murmurs reached her ears.

 

Then she felt herself waking. The words became clearer and clearer until she finally woke up.

 

"Rose?" Kira asked, shaking her lightly.

 

"Hmm?" Rose said, still half asleep.

 

"Are you okay?" Kira asked. "You were whimpering in your sleep."

 

"I had a nightmare," Rose said, hugging Kira tight. "It was about those men, when we went to Comicon that one time." Her voice cracked slightly and tears formed in her eyes.

 

"You're okay," Kira said, enveloping Rose in a massive hug. "I'm here. We're safe." After a few minutes, Rose calmed down. "I think it's your morals," Kira said. "You still have guilt over killing someone. That's a good thing. So whenever you do have these dreams, I'll always be here to comfort you."

 

"Thank you," Rose murmured. She soon drifted off into sleep in Kira's arms. The rest of her dreams were peaceful.

 

The following morning, Kira and Rose decided to try cooking something together.

 

They found a recipe online for a dish called Goulash. It looked quite delicious to the two, so they went out to the store to buy the ingredients.

 

Then they set about with the cooking.

 

First, they cooked the meat in a large pot while boiling water in another. In went the noodles, which were cooked after a little while. Then sauces and spices went in with the meat, along with tomatoes, strips of cheese, and cream of mushroom soup.

 

As they were cooking the noodles, a bit of hot water burned Kira's finger.

 

"Ow!" She said. "That stings."

 

"Here," Rose said. She took Kira's finger into her mouth and let her vampire saliva heal the burn.

 

"Thank you," Kira said, and they returned to cooking.

 

When at last it was finished, they sat down to eat. They had found that Rose could eat human food, although it didn't have any practical effect. Still, she did it because food tasted good.

 

They took their first bites and found it delicious. Within twenty minutes, they had eaten everything they had cooked.

 

"That was so good," Rose said, leaning back in her chair.

 

"It was," Kira agreed.

 

Then Haden texted them, asking if they wanted to come over to hang out. They did want to, so they got ready quickly before going over.

25