Chapter 8 [The mysterious young man]
108 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8 [The mysterious young man]

After the celebration for the Village chief's daughter, all of the villagers in the Dale Village has woken up late. The sun was already up and was glaring down at them. Every people in the village immediately get up from their beds to do their own businesses. Going out to the town, doing house chores, farming and other menial task. When the night already came that day, some people notice that the kid Harold hasn't still arrived.

Some people thought he must already up and have waken up earlier than them, since he didn't join in the celebration.

The other villagers has asked if the people who have gone to the town has seen Harold. They shook their head, uncertain if Harold was there. They were busy and didn't notice if he was in his usual spot in the Arc Town selling spirit grass in some random stall.

Soon, someone have visited his house and returned later saying that the house was quiet and there were no lights.

" Sometimes he returned very late isn't?" One of them asked uncertain and sounded worried.

" Yeah, maybe this is quite an unlucky day for him to sell his spirit grass. " Someone muttered, but still heard by the other villagers.

" I hope that Harold didn't get into trouble. "

" Well, we can do nothing... I'm quite tired now. Let's just hope that he would return safely and we would see him tomorrow. "

" You're right, it is quite also dangerous to travel in the night. "

" I heard from the Arc town that the Howen Village was attacked by bandits. "

" How unfortunate! we must inform the Village chief to have someone guard the village and watch out... You know, just in case? "

" I hope it won't happen. Let's rest now everyone. "

The Villagers has returned to their own houses that night and sleep peacefully. Some were quite restless as the news of village being burned by bandits in the nearby town has travelled in their ears.

The next day, when they woke up, they were surprised to find Harold outside of his house– which was quite a distance away from their houses and was surrounded by the familiar ginkgo tree and shrubs. It was surprising to find him outside. Usually, he would suppose to be out of the village now and collecting spirit grass in the nearby forest.

He didn't have his faithful large basket on his side where he would always store the spirit grass that he collected right now. Instead, Harold was talking to someone. Someone who was clearly unfamiliar to them and a stranger. A mysterious and unknown young man.

Despite the young appearance of the mysterious stranger, he was clearly an outsider inside their village. They immediately become alert and suspicious. One of them decided to call the village chief and alert him of the outsider. The other villagers were wary and watched the mysterious young man from the distance.

The stranger look so young. A young man in his teenage years who clearly looks foreign. He looks like he was in his fifteen years?

They weren't certain. Sometimes, appearance can be deceiving.

The villagers look at the young man and Harold. They were talking amiably. Specially Harold who seems fond of the young man. They watched discreetly on the distance. Far away from the two who don't notice them.

Despite Harold's clear fondness, the villagers can only feel wary and suspicious of the young man. They also felt angry and irritated at Harold.

Why did Harold brought a stranger to their village? How can just he bring a stranger to the village? What if the young man has malicious intentions towards their village and was in cahoots with the bandits?

For a while they watched, the mysterious youth was helping Harold in making different warm up exercises?

Warm up?

They blinked and decided to make sure that they aren't seeing an illusion.

Stretching..arms and legs..

It is definitely a warm up exercise. How long has it been since they are reminded of their school days?

Looking at the sky, at the moon that wasn't glowing crimson but still visible in the day, they can only reminiscence sadly about their past and regrets.

They are not dead, but they are filled with regrets.

Regrets are normal. A part of human life. What's more with what happened in their world in this past years, every human who lived here in Earth can only be filled with regrets and sadness.

Later, they watched the village chief arrive. One of the villagers pointed on Harold's house direction. They glance and it looks like Harold and the mysterious youth has noticed them.

Harold has a wary stance and wearing a 'don't approach' expression. Just like how he would look at them as always since his parents died. It was different from how he treated the mysterious young man with fondness.

On the other hand, the mysterious youth was different. He look at them with curiosity, interest and a hopeful? expression.

Is it an illusion?

He must be gauging how many villagers here in the village, their strength and weaknesses.. and he would tell the bandits about the information about their village...

The village chief, after talking to him, insisted on walking toward Harold and the mysterious youth alone under their worry and cautiousness towards the mysterious young man.

The villagers hoped that they are wrong in their speculation towards the youth.

3