Chapter 2: Confrontation is hard
1.2k 12 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

WHHHEEEEEEEEEHAHAHA” Lily cried out in joy from the feeling of flying. Wind rushed past her, she even saw a few birds as she passed by them. It had been only a few minutes but she saw no signs of civilization. As Lily flew she used her [Life Sense] skill and was immediately overwhelmed by the information. Lily felt not just what the skill originally did, it was true [Life Sense], and there is a lot of life in this forest below her. Many different species of herbivores and carnivores; some she knew, and a lot she didn’t. It was the plants that truly overwhelmed her, a cacophony of noise as she felt the life of every individual plant, hitting her like a blinding light or deafening cacophony of noise. She disabled her [Life Sense], and realized she hadn’t been able to keep her wings flapping during that ordeal. It had only been a couple seconds, but it felt so much longer.

 

“Let’s not do that again…” Lily resolved, shaken from the experience. She took a moment to calm herself down. “No, I need to, if I want to find civilization!” Lily pumped herself up. She steadied herself, and thought about her recent mastery of her wings. Once she stopped thinking of them as something new, and stopped focusing so hard on them, it came naturally. Maybe it was the same with [Life Sense]? She tried to think about what she wanted to find, like a whitelist. She focused just on humans, and felt everything else fade into a background din; this was much more manageable, especially now that she expected it. Now she just had to be on the lookout for the feeling of human life. Which means she still needs to fly around more to find people.

 

“Well, looks like I have to fly more, oh well… Who am I kidding, I love flying!” Lily giggled to herself as she flew faster, flying amongst the birds. As Lily was getting used to her abilities, she was also getting much more comfortable with this new body, this new identity she found herself in.

---------------------------------------------------------

 

Jordan

Level 28 Human

 

“Damnit! Die already!” Jordan shouted. 

 

Deep within the Vorlé Forest, there was a small clearing that Jordan and his adventuring team were at. The corpses of his two teammates were strewn across with bite and claw marks.

 

It was supposed to be a simple gathering quest, so simple it was not even worth mentioning since it was in the outskirts of Direwolf territory. Or at least, It should've been in the outskirts; however, the party had to go deeper and deeper. They had been unaware of how far they had gone until it was too late, and they were surrounded by Direwolves, including an Alpha Direwolf.

 

ALPHA DIREWOLF LEVEL 54

 

Mary had been the team’s [Rogue] while Trevor had been their [Mage], all that was left was himself, their [Berserker]. Even though he tried to run away they just surrounded him, playing with his life. He wasn’t even close to the level of the Alpha Direwolf. 

 

Name: 

Jordan

Race:

Human

Class: 

Berserker 

Level: 

28

   

Str: 

112

Dex: 

56

Con: 

56

Int: 

28

Wis: 

28

 

Jordan heard a wolf cry out in pain from behind him. He didn’t have time to look, and soon he heard more of these wolves in pain. Jordan recognizes that some high level [Archer] must be helping him out. “Whoever is out there helping, I’ll buy ya a drink!” Then suddenly an arrow of light whizzed past his head and hit the wolf he was about to strike. He looked around and saw nearly all the Direwolves to be dead; all except for the Alpha Direwolf.

 

Fwoosh! Suddenly he saw a small girl wearing a white dress with giant white wings appear out of nowhere. “Hiya! I see you need some help!” she called out with a relieved smile, keeping her eyes on the wolves  . For some reason a chill ran down Jordans spine, ‘Why is [Danger Sense] telling me this little girl is dangerous?’ surely she couldn’t be the [Archer] that helped him.

 

Light began to condense in her hands, before taking the form of a bow and arrow.  She shot a single arrow at the Alpha Direwolf, which was felled by the blow. Jordan’s mouth was agape at the situation, as this stranger drew nearer to him. A warm feeling washed over him, as the bite wounds disappeared in real time as all the damage done by the Direwolves was healed in a second.

 

The winged girl started to frown, covering her mouth with a hand. “Are these your friends?” she asked in a soft tone.

 

Jordan nodded. Now that the adrenaline from the fight was over and he was in the serene presence of the girl, he stared at the ground reflecting that he’ll never see Trevor or Mary again. In the corner of his vision, he saw the girl go over to Mary and crouch down near the corpse.

 

“Listen girly, You saved my life, and I thank you for that,” Jordan sighed “and I know you are a great healer, but she’s already dead.”

 

“I know, but I think I can do something about it.” The young girl said, she held her hand to Mary’s chest. Light started to coalesce onto Mary’s corpse, enveloping it. A searing light blinded Jordan, and afterwards Mary’s corpse looked pristine. Suddenly Mary’s eyes fluttered open.

 

“There we go, it seems the simple resurrection spell works still…” The young [Healer] said. Her words were utterly baffling to the [Berserker]. Suddenly Mary performed a leg sweep against the young healer, 

 

AAAAAAAAAAHH!” Cried out the [Rogue], as her own leg gave to pain before the young girl even budged. 

 

“Be careful, I’ll need to heal you again.” Light flashed once again from the young healer's hand and moved to heal Mary.

 

“Mary, you're alive!” Jordan called in emotion as he ran up to Mary, picked her up and gave her a bone-crushing hug.

 

 “Of course I’m alive you brute!” while this was going on, the young [Healer] walked over to Trevor. Like before, light condensed on her hands and slowly got bright as the sun and it spread towards Trevor and enveloped him.

 

“By the gods what is that light!?” Mary exclaimed. Jordan was more prepared this time, and had covered his eyes. Trevor’s mangled body was restored before their eyes, and his eyes too fluttered open. The young healer backed away, likely from caution of what happened with Mary.

 

“Why do I feel like I got hit by a runetrain?” muttered Trevor. Jordan, while still holding up Mary, ran to the [Mage] and forcefully put them into a group hug “You’re alive Trevor! Mary! We’re all alive!”

---------------------------------------------------------

 

Lily

Level 300 Angel

 

Lily watched the three of them with a smile, and felt a warm sensation in her chest. She always loved being the support and healer, and now she had the power to preserve life, it made her really happy. ‘If this is going to be my life now, I want to help people, save people with the power I have, this is truly a new star–’

 

“[ANGEL]! GET BACK EVERYONE!” yelled Trevor, as he tried to wiggle out of Jordan’s grip, awkwardly struggling against his friend’s hold to no avail.

 

“Ah! She’s an [Angel] then. I wondered what race she was with those wings!” Exclaimed Jordan. "Yes, the little [Angel] girl brought you back to life!” He let out a bustling laugh.

 

“No, don't you understand? [Angels] are high level monsters Jordan!” Exclaimed Trevor. This greatly confused Lily; she had never heard of [Angels] being monsters

 

“[Angels] are the same as [Sirens]!” roared out the [Mage]. ”They look human but they are pure monsters, hellbent on killing! Don’t you understand?!” Mary narrowed her eyes looking at Lily.

 

‘I need to diffuse this situation!’ with a thought Lily’s wings folded up, turning into light and sinking into her body. She could still feel them, but it felt awkward, like clothing that was too tight in the wrong places.. “Hey please don’t say that, I’m not a monster!” Lily said, her voice coming out as a whimper.

 

“Yeah, little [Angel] girly is the one who saved me from the Direwolves! She also brought you back from literal death!” Jordan defended her, which made Lily really happy.

 

Lily put up her hands in a placating gesture, “Let’s start again. Hello, my n-name is L-Lily, I am an [Angel] but I am no monster! I want to help people, not kill people!” 

 

Trevor listened with an expression of skepticism and confusion on his face. A moment passed as he considered her words. “[Angel] monsters normally can’t speak, and I never have seen or heard of a child [Angel] before too.” 

 

This made Lily's thought process pause. A child [Angel]? ‘Sure I made Lily the smallest size I could in the game, and maybe look more adorable than beautiful, and maybe I choose the highest voice I could when making her. Oh god, I am a child aren’t I?’ to Lily it makes sense now, why Jordan keeps calling her girly.

 

Lily almost sat herself on the ground, remembering that her ‘robe’ is more like a dress with an optional hood, and decided to lean against instead. The [Rogue] suppressed a laugh at her antics. ‘Right I should [Identify] them again’ Lily had already instinctively gotten used to using [Identify] by using it on animals on the trip to this group, and had used it on Jordan and the wolves as she approached them.

 

Jordan [Human] [Berserker] Level : 28 (Status: Healthy)

 

Mary [Human] [Rogue] Level : 26 (Status: Healthy)

 

Trevor [Human] [Mage] Level : 22 (Status: Healthy)

 

‘Seems like everyone is good now. Although,’  Lily took note of something, checking her status menu again She didn’t see health bars or mana bars anywhere when using [Identify] or her status menu… ‘It seems the system is slightly different than Phantium.’ While stats are the same, you can’t quantify health and mana it seems.’ Lily took a look at the spell she used to revive Mary and Trevor.

 

[Divine Resurrection]

Cost: Variable, depends on time since death

Channel your [Seraphim] powers to return the deceased to fighting form.

Warning: Resurrections over a month may have unforeseen consequences to the target!

 

Between Lily’s high Intelligence stat and the deaths having been so recent, the resurrection spell felt like it barely took anything. This was quite a shock to her. Normally it had a set mana cost per resurrection, and could not be used in battle,in Phantium. Variable cost? Length since death? Even the possibility of resurrecting someone over a month ago was crazy!

 

As Lily was lost in thought, the trio of adventurers were huddled together. Having broken the group hug that Jordan had maintained, and were whispering amongst themselves. Unbeknownst to them, Lily could hear everything they were saying.

 

“What should we do about this kid?” Mary asked.

 

“Nothing, she obviously has ulterior motives. We should run away when we get the chance. I never heard of a resurrection spell before, it must be a trick!” Trevor insisted.

 

Upon hearing that, Lily spoke up, “U-um-” the trio jumped at her speech “-the only ulterior motive I have is to help and maybe get some help myself. You see, I don’t know this area at all and can’t find civilization…” 

 

“Heya kid, don't you know that it’s rude to eavesdrop on people?” Mary said with a glare. 

 

Lily winced.

 

Jordan came to Lily’s defense, “Mary, she saved us, if it wasn’t for her we’d all be dead!”

 

“I know you have a soft spot for kids, but come on, isn’t this extremely suspicious?” Trevor shot back. “Maybe it could all be an illusion to lower our guard; I don’t remember dying. She could still be an intelligent monster like a [Dragon]!” 

 

Lily was distraught, she just wanted to help but all she got was suspicion. As Adam he would feel angry, outrage even at being accused without reason. Now she just felt sad ‘Maybe it’s better to just leave…’ Lily wondered, “Heya, Jordan, is your name right?” 

 

Jordan nodded, “What is it girly?” 

 

Lily hesitated. This was supposed to be a new start, where she would make friends, have adventures, and be helpful to people. “I was wondering what the direction of the closest village or town was. I can go… away after that I guess?”

 

After some hesitation, and glares from his teammates Jordan agreed, and told her the direction of the nearest city, Caldia. She summoned her wings again, and with a Fwoosh she took off in the direction of the city, with little hope of finding some people who are more friendly.

Announcement
Hiya! Jelly here, just wanna say I love the comments I'm getting so far, I am touched! I made a Discord server! If you'd like to join me on it that would be great, it's nothing special right now, just a basic discord server, but I'll work on it! https://discord.gg/2B8rY3Jdfr
56