Chapter 3: Names.
2k 2 64
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After about ten minutes of waiting, the young female goblin came back with different strips of cloths.

“This one has returned with cloth to make you clothing.” The female goblin stated, proud of herself for accomplishing her task for the Demon Lord.

The maiden nodded her approval of the cloth that the female goblin brought.

“These are lovely piece of cloth. Will you be making the clothes for me?” She asks the female goblin, trying to ascertain what her skill sets were. Nodding the female goblin replied.

“Yes O’ great one. This one makes clothing for many of younger children of the clan.” After she laid the cloth on the makeshift bed I was laying upon, she turned towards me and said.

“This one will be back in a moment after I go pick up your food.” She then gestures towards the cloth, “please pick out the ones you favor and this one will do her best to make you clothes as appropriate for you as possible.”

But just as she was about to turn to leave, the maiden laid a hand on hers and asked.

“Will you please stay and answer some more questions for me.” The female goblin was confused.

“Did the great one not want food? I did not wish to make the great one wait to satisfy your hunger.”

The maiden shakes her head. “I will be fine for a moment. Can you tell someone else to go get it, there is something I need from you.”

Confusion and apprehension appeared on the young female goblin’s face.

“If the great one wishes for another to do the task you have asked of this one, the great one but just needs to ask.” She said with a reluctant smile.

“That is not what I meant,” The maiden refuted. “But if you would ask and send someone to gather two portions of meals to this room, I would appreciate it.”

Nodding her understanding, the female goblin stood.

“This one understands. This one will return shortly.” She leaves and returns almost five minutes later. “This one has returned.” She bowed at the waist. “Has the great one found a cloth to their liking?”

Turning her attention back towards the cloth laid before her. She saw not an assortment of verities, but durable and standard set of basic white cloth, but there was an exception. Reaching down underneath the other cloth, she pulled out an almost silk like cloth amongst the other rags. The other stuff I can understand them having... but how had they attained this?  She thought critically, but then decided to shrug her shoulders and forego thinking to hard about it.

She lifted the material up and examined it in the light. It was truly a work of art in her opinion. A teal, almost sea-foam green like color, and it had some sort of other material in it, for in sparkled, even in the low light of the candle in the room.

“...This is truly outstanding...” She said in awe and approval. She turned to her companion in the room.  “I can’t imagine one just simply attains this level of cloth out here in goblin territory. And from what I have seen, most other cloths are either linen or some sort of fur.”

The young female goblin had a wide, almost toothy smile on her face.

“Thank you O’ great one! That is a cloth That this one had gotten on this one’s first raid on a human caravan; Shortly after, the prophecy was revealed and instead of making beautiful cloth for myself. I have saved it for when the Demon Lord would be revealed, in hopes to give it as an offering.”

That is a lot to unpack from what she had just said there... The maiden thought to herself. Where to start now... I can’t even remember what was the first thing I was going to start asking her. The maiden pondered for a second before deciding. I guess the first thing to do is that then. Get that out of the way, then we can move on to the important things.

She looked into the female’s eyes. Staring deep, trying to see her metaphorical soul. Flustered and confused by the scrutiny. The female goblin leans back away from the Demon Lord.

“Umm, O’ great one, i-is there something that this one m-may do for you?” She stammered nervously because of the Demon Lord’s intense gaze. The maiden just smiled, leaning in ever closer and said softly. 

“Yes, there is plenty I need from you, Athena.”

The female goblin blinked in confusion. Almost completely stunned by what she had just heard.

“Wh- what was that word the great one just said?” She asked the Demon Lord. Not sure she heard her correctly and not knowing what she said or what it might mean, despite the overwhelming hope that welled up inside her.

The maiden continued to smile at the young girl and informed her.

“Your name, as I the demon lord of this clan have ordained you, with the authority of my right, a name: your name is now Athena.” Upon hearing this, the young goblin - Athena could not believe her ears. She went to deny it.

“B-But Demon Lord! I am not-“ She was stopped by a finger pressed to her lips. The maiden had gotten to the edge of the bed without young goblin realizing it.

“You’ve already acknowledged my authority, is that not right?” At Athena’s nod, she moved her hands to cup her cheeks and continued. “Then by my authority, I have given you name, be blessed and cherish what you have been given. Never deny it, and never let another take it from you: it is yours and yours alone.” The tears that had been burning Athena’s eyes thus far, spilled out of her eyes down her cheeks and over the Demon Lord’s hands. Never in the young- Athena’s life had she ever been so happy and felt so incredibly blessed. 

“D-D-De-Demon Lord! Y-You have Made th-this one- no! You have made Athena so happy! T-Thank you Demon Lord! Y-You are the best blessing that Athena has had in her life!” Athena stammered her thanks and gushed her happiness towards the maiden. Who just gave her a lopsided grin.

“It was literally no-“ She stopped herself from saying something so callus. She is practically worshiping me for just giving her a name... I can’t treat this frivolously like I would back on earth. “Your welcome Athena. Treat your name well from now on. For nothing and no one, not even me. Will be able to take it from you; it is yours.” A new round of tears started and Athena fell into a fit of happy sobs. Leaning forward and crying into the Demon Lord’s chest.

Which made the maiden just remember that she was still naked. One thing and problem at a time.   As Athena cried her joy into the maiden’s bosom. The maiden continued to stroke her head in reassurance. The maiden to smile to herself as she thought, this feels right. I don’t know how, when or if I will be able to find a way home. But if I can do things like this along the way. The journey won’t be so bad.

As Athena’s sobs quieted down to mere sniffles, she told her.

“Your name is special by the way, Athena.” She felt Athena stir and try to sit up, but she just held her to her chest and kept stroking her head. This was as much a comfort to Athena as it was to herself. “Shh... just stay there and listen... Your name comes from a goddess of my world.” She felt Athena stiffen slightly before settling down again. I think she gets that this is important.

”The goddess Athena was a mythological goddess, that means she might have been real but no one knows for sure.”

“Athena knows what that meant, and Athena understood.”

The maiden smiled to herself. I picked such an appropriate name for her, she is so smart.

The maiden continued as if she wasn’t interrupted.

“Athena was a goddess depicted for her arts, beauty, wisdom. She was also a goddess that taught others the artisan crafts she knew. One of which was was tailoring... Athena.”

She pushed her up to look into her eyes. Her face was a mess and she felt her mess sticking in stings between themselves as she pushed her up right. Super gross... But oddly beautiful... but still gross. As she stared into Athena’s eyes she said to her.

“I have given you her name sake for the cloth you have given my as a gift that you have been holding onto for...”

“Five summers.” Athena supplied helpfully.

“For five summers. And you don’t know how much I actually appreciate that... And to answer your question from before, I am not from here, as you may have guessed.” She ended with a cheeky grin.

Athena nodded her acknowledgment of what she had just heard and suspected. Then the maiden got a serious expression on her face.

“Athena. What I am about to say to you must stay between us. At least for now. Do you understand why?” She nodded in understanding. “Good. I am from another world. Or I an reasonably sure I am. There are no goblins in my world; just humans.”

Athena gasped. Her hands ceasing their cleaning of the Demon Lord and herself with the cloth rags she had brought.

“T-Then that would m-mean...” The Maiden nodded in acknowledgement.

“Yes Athena, I was once a human.” She revealed. Athena was distraught by this, the maiden could see it in her eyes. But she made no move to escape the room nor flee from the maiden. Instead she looked down towards the floor with down cast eyes.

“Athena would like to say she is sorry for her transgressions.” She confessed. The maiden smiled slyly. 

“Oh? And what have you done to apologize for?” She teased, though Athena did not take it as the maiden had intended her.

“Athena has killed humans before... has killed many... have... eaten humans...” Now it was no surprise to the maiden that Athena had. She suspected as much. But it was still shocking to hear.

The maiden reached up and patted Athena’s head in understanding. Like one might give to a child who was sorry for being mean or doing something naughty.

“It is quite alright Athena. I will not hold it over you. Nor think of you differently. As I hope you won’t with me, knowing I was once part of a race you considered an enemy.” Athena went to confirm what the maiden said, but the maiden beat her to it.

“I know... you don’t have to say it. The goddess Athena wasn’t just a crafting goddess, she was also a tactician in battle, and defended the weak from her people’s enemies.” She informed Athena. “She was loyal to a fault and loved and devoted herself to her people. So you shouldn’t be sorry for the things you had to do to survive. Or what you needed to do for your fellow goblins.”

Athena’s eyes burned anew, but she quickly wiped them away. She had a more determined look then ever on her face.

She moved back out of the maiden’s grasp and kneeled on the stone floor of the dimly lit room.

“I, Athena, named by the Omega Demon Lord. Here by pledge myself fully unto her and serve her to the end of Athena’s days.” Moved and touched by this act of absolute submission and trust, even as everything that Athena had just said just gave herself more questions to ask later. The maiden could not help but let a tear escape her eye. So she stood with the teal cloth wrapped around herself and laid her hand on her hand.

“And I the Omega Demon Lord.............. Oh!” Athena looked up in confusion and worry.

“What is wrong O’ great one?!”

“... It seems I have forgotten my name...”

64