Chapter 7: To Topple A Giant.
1.5k 4 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The eruption of dirt, rock, water and debris flew all around them as her fists came down on the ground at the shore. It sent a spout of water over ten yalms high. Athena was shocked and terrified. Not of her friend. But for her. She quickly stood, But Gabo held her arm.

"Wait! Not Safe-"

"Athena does not care! My friend needs me!" She shrugged him off and ran towards the crater. She could hear the kids in the background of all this, crying and yelling. All of them wondering what was happening to the Demon Lord.

As Athena peered into the hole. She saw that her friend was at the bottom of a five yalm crater. Terrified her friend might be hurt. She jumped over the sides built up of dirt and rocks, she then slid down into the hole. Water was seeping in over the side of one of the built up walls of dirt.

As she got to the bottom she saw her friend face down in the dirt and mud, water slowly rising up towards her face. She went up to her. Not even taking the time to ask after her. She just picked up her friend and cradled her to her chest. weak moans of protest came from the Demon Lord, but she made no real attempts to escape.

"Pl-Pl-Please! Just let me d-down." She mumbled into Athena's chest. Despite her words, she clung herself towards her warmth. Her body shook from head to toe as if she was freezing.

"Oh Demon Lord..." Athena said for the second time that day, but for a completely different reason.

"D-Don't look at m-me..." The Demon Lord pleaded.

Athena cradled her with one arm, because she could. And readied herself to try and climb out of this crater. But a vine came down and smacked her on the head.

"Grab on!" Gabo shouted at them. Athena's smile returned for almost an instant before she frowned again.

"Hold on tight to me my friend." She whispered to the Demon Lord. She seemed to register that, and curl more in on herself, clinging tighter on to Athena. "Athena has it Gabo!" She shouted up after him.

"Good! Hold on tight! Gabo and these ones are going to pull you up!" Gabo warned her.

She braced herself with her feet against the sidewall of the crater. With one arm and hand holding her precious cargo, and the other hold them up. She just asked for the strength to get to the top.

As the climbed up the side. She could hear the distinct grunting of the others as the pulled her and the Demon Lord to safety. When she neared the top a hand shot down and reached for her. Not having a free hand to reach back, she just waited until they were a little closer. She then was grabbed by her shirt. And hoisted up over the lip of the carter. As soon as she was over. She used her body to shield the Demon Lord from on lookers. 

She turns her head towards the everyone.

“Please stand back. Athena knows you are worried for the Demon Lord. But she needs space.”

She looks down at the small, child sized adult laying cradled in her arms. Athena’s heart ached. For she knew her friend was in pain and could only guess as to why, and she does not know how to comfort her.

“Demon Lord,” She whispered to get her attention. “Everyone is sc- worried about you. Will you please tell Athena what is wrong?” She corrected herself as she did not want to upset the Demon Lord anymore than what she already was.

All she heard for the longest time was just her sporadic breathing and hiccuping. Then after a couple of minutes of waiting for her to calm down. She finally heard the Demon Lord say.

“I am ugly... I am a monster...” Athena could not believe her ears. Is that what the Demon Lord thought of herself? Was that what she thought of Athena? Of all goblins?

Athena got very angry from hearing this. But she calmed down for her friends sake. She shook the Demon Lord to get her attention.

“Please O’ great one,” She pleaded. “Look at me, please tell this one what is wrong and let Athena help.” She felt herself getting choked up.

The Demon Lord lifted her head and uncurled herself slightly. Although she lifted her head, she was still not looking at Athena.

“I-I am a monster Athena... I’m scared... of myself...”

 Athena had a very sad and tired smile that crept on to her face.

“You are not a monster. Athena does not think of you as a monster.”

“Of course YOU don’t Athena!” The Demon Lord shouted at her. This had been the first time she had directly at her. She was shocked by this. But she was ready to take it, and did not flinch away from her. But nothing prepared her for what the Demon Lord said next. “You’re a goblin Athena. You don't see me as a monster.”

Her words then, did make her flinch and stiffen. The Demon Lord felt it. It had hurt Athena to hear this. Broke her heart. They had just said they were friends, and then the Demon Lord said something like this. She had enough.

She lifted and forced the Demon Lord up by her armpits and made her face her finally.

She looked at her face: She was doing her best not to look at Athena. She took this time to really study the Demon Lord’s face. Her face was smooth and wrinkle free much like a young goblin. Her cheek bones were just at a spot that they were prominent, but not to high. Her head was shaped much like all goblins, rather then a human’s tall and sort of oblong shaped. Her head was more oval and wide. Her hair and her eyes were the same shade of shocking teal which reminded Athena of the dress she had made. Which made for a nice contrast to her dark forest green skin. Her long ears were reached back well past her head into very distinct points, unlike elves. Where they shared the shape, but their ears came to soft rounded tips, goblins were nearly sharp points.

She was also small. about a third of the size of Athena. If not for her ridicules strength. She would not be that much different from any goblin child. Her hair was a small ilim across her head. That went from the front to the back of her head, which was about a less than a yalm in length.

She reached up and cupped her cheek to get her to face Athena. Then she whispered to her.

“Demon Lord?...”

Her muddy and tear streaked face finally face her in full, and her blood shot, tear filled eyes finally focused on Athena.

Athena brought back her hand and struck it against the Demon Lord’s face.

*SMACK*

“Ow!” Athena exclaimed as she pulled back her hand clutching it with her other. Her hand was throbbing. She had struck as hard as she could. But it ended up hurting her hand in the process. It had felt like striking a boulder.

The Demon Lord reached up and felt where Athena had struck her.

“That didn’t hurt... oh god! I felt like nothing! That was like as if a kitten had slapped me with their paw! But are you okay? Is your hand hurt?” The Demon Lord came back to themselves and was reaching for Athena’s hand.

But Athena pulled back from the Demon Lord a bit. There was a flash of hurt in the Demon Lord’s eyes.

“Why did you slap me?” The Demon Lord questioned.

“The great one was not yourself... that, and you hurt Athena with what you said.” She paused to get her head straight. “Athena is mad that you think goblins are ugly and are monsters.”

Realization dawned on the Demon Lord’s face.

“No... I didn’t mean you! Or any other goblins, I just meant!-“

“But you did though!” Athena argued. “The great one said that Athena could not understand because Athena is a goblin... you have hurt Athena. You have hurt your friend.”

The words stung a pricked the heart of the maiden. She realized she had made a grave mistake in her emotional out burst. That she had let herself get swept away with self pity. That she had worried her friends and inadvertently said hateful things to them.

“... You’re right Athena. I said those things and meant them. But not to you. Or to other goblins... just about myself.”

Athena shook her head.

“You are goblin now. What you say about yourself, you are saying about all goblins... and Athena does not think the great one is ugly or a monster.” She paused think what to say to her to encourage her. “Athena thinks you are a very pretty goblin.”

The Demon Lord’s eyes widened.“Y-You don’t mean that.” She denied what she just heard. “A-And besides. Y-You were born a goblin... I wasn’t- I don’t see myself as pretty or beautiful. Just something that looks completely wrong from how I think I should.” She then averted her gaze from Athena’s.

Athena frowned at that logic.

“Athena understands what the Demon Lord is trying to say. But,” She reached forward and pulled her head back to face Athena’s gaze. “Athena thinks, and so will most goblins. That if the Demon Lord does not like themselves. Then Demon Lord will also not like them as well.”

The Demon Lord opened their mouth to speak. But no words came out. She looked down from Athena’s eyes, then took a shaky breath in and a shaky one out. Making it sound like a stuttering sigh.

She then looked back up to her and said.

“I don’t know if I can Athena... I will try. But I don’t know if I will ever feel right as I am.” She paused for a moment to think of what she wanted to say next. It was so long, Athena thought she should say something.

“I-I don’t want to hurt these people with what I say or how I feel. I am sorry for what I said before Athena. I don’t look at you- at goblins, as monsters or evil creatures made by some evil god like other humans do... But I don’t know if I will ever think of myself any different to I do now. Think of it if you suddenly turned human. You might not hate it or freak out like me. But it would feel strange to you. For me; nothing feels right...” She took a breath and continued. “But for your sake, and for the other goblins. I will try. I don’t know if I ever will feel good like this. But I will promise that I will try not to think of myself like that. I don’t want that to bleed into what I think of you.” She realized what she just said and blushed hard. “-All! You all! The goblins! All of them!” She stammered and tried valiantly to correct her mistake.

Athena just smiled at her and decided to not let on to what she had just heard.

“Thank you O’ great one. That means a lot to Athena.”

The maiden gave her shy smile and tried to look away to hide her embarrassment. But she inadvertently looked in the direction of the other goblins. Most of the children had concerned looks on their faces. While Gabo and Seshat had cheeky knowing smiles on theirs.

The maiden could instantly feel her cheeks go dark from the blood rushing to her face.

She looked back at Athena and down at the position they were in. Her legs straddling Athena, with her sitting on her legs, that were crisscrossed and resting on one another.

She then looked back up to Athena with her eyes wide and realized that they had been in this position this entire time, facing one another, with the maiden on her lap.

“NO!” She shouted and buried her face in her hands and leaned into Athena to hide herself.

Athena just laughed and hugged the Demon Lord to herself.

“Everyone! The Demon Lord is fine now! Dirty, but fine!” Athena announced. The other goblins near them all got bright smiles and relieved expressions on their faces.

Grumbling the maiden said in a whisper.

“Did you have to say it like that?!” She could feel the very tips of her ears heat up.

As the others made their way towards them. Athena whispered to her.

“Why is that wrong?” She asked cheekily. “The Demon Lord is very dirty.” She said without any attempt to hide her smirk.

The maiden looked up at her with a glare out of the corner of her eye.

“But,” Athena inserted. “We are in luck, for there is a stream right there.” She said as she nudged her towards the water. “Let us get the great one clean.” She suggested.

But the maiden had a thought.

“In a second Athena. There is a couple things I need to do.” She then turned and hopped out of Athena’s grasp. She turned towards the other goblins who were staring at her with a mix of worry and relief  at the site of her. Worry because they did not know what was wrong, relief to see that she was most certainly okay.

She smiled and took a deep breath to explain.

“I am very sorry for worrying you all...” She paused to see if all the faces present were listening. “I... This one had just learned how strong this one truly was. The sling I had made was not suppose to do that. It would only do something’s like that if they were super strong.” She explained. “It scared this one... she was scared of herself. Scared she could accidentally hurt others. This one thought herself a monster.”

Understanding dawned on all of their faces. Including Gabo and Seshat.

But the maiden was not done speaking yet.

“This one also has a confession to make...” She paused and turned to Athena. Which she just nodded to encourage her; knowing what she was about to say and do. The maiden nodded back, then turned back to the goblins. “This one- I am; or I was, not always a goblin.” She told them.

Understanding blossomed on Seshat’s face, while the remaining goblins were still confused.

“What does the Demon Lord mean?” Gabo asked.

The maiden took a deep breath and readied herself.

“I am not from this world. I am from an entirely different planet called Earth.” She paused To give them time to comprehend what she had just said. “This one’s- my world. Is a world without Dragonkin, dwarves, orcs, elves, goblins, or beastmen...” She readied herself as she was about to confess. “It is a world with only one race: humans.”

Slowly, very slowly. Understanding dawned on all present. Gabo first, then the young goblins to understood her. One-by-one, their eyes widened at the implication she had just dropped on them.

“Y-Y-You-you’re a humen?!” Asked the boy who had thrown the rock for her. She was sad to hear the fear in his voice. But it was understandable.

“I was.” She stated simply, leading him to his next question.

“W-Was?!” He asked skeptically.

She nodded at his question.

“I, was once a human from the planet Earth... but the shard of god brought me here. I don’t know why. Nor do I know why it turned me into a goblin. But now, I am no longer human. I am just a goblin... well, that and a demon lord.” She elaborated.

“How can Gabo trust you now?!” He shouted. Turning the heads of all towards him.

“Dear!” Seshat exclaimed in shock.

“Grandpa!” Athena also shouted at him for his out burst.

“Athena, Seshat,” The maiden called to them. They turned towards her and she waved them down. “It is alright, he is right to question me.”

“But he-“

“He just can’t-“ They tried protesting at the same time.

But she shook her head.

“He has every right to question someone who was once an enemy of your clan, especially someone who is as powerful as I am.” She reminded them.

They looked nervously to one another before nodding to each other and letting the Demon Lord handle it.

“Then this one admits it is dangerous to the clan?!”

She shook her head.

“I am dangerous to everyone,” She gestures towards the crater she made. “If that is not proof enough, look to the trees!” She suggested. Everyone did and truly looked at the devastation she had brought to the forest of the mountain. Four trees, bisected and toppled over and laying on top of everything that was smaller then them.

“And if more proof is needed,” She stated. “Watch.” She slowly walked out towards the boulder she had been sitting on earlier that day, She lightly tapped it to test something. When nothing happened. She thrust her hand forward.

Everyone there gasped. Including Athena, who’s eyes were wide at what the Demon Lord had just done.

Her hand was embedded into the boulder, large cracks had splintered  from where her arm ended and the rock began.

The maiden then then extended her fingers into a grasp on the inside of the boulder. Her fingers slowly by the resistance of the rock, but easily tore through it. Embedding her fingers deeper into the stone. She then proceeded to lift her arm as she hoisted the boulder up, a soft rumbling could be felt as the boulder was tore away from Alstaria. Dirt and debris falling away from the boulder as it  was suspended in mid air, with nothing but the sheer might of one hand of the maiden. She turned. Not slowly as one would think it would take some one who was carry a large load.

The maiden casually turned towards the audience, boulder in hand.

“This is why I was scared of myself earlier.” She reiterated. She gave a sad smile at them. “Much like how you are now.”

Some amongst the assembled were trembling in fear. Gabo namely. But a few children as well. But some had huge smiles as well. And a couple with their jaw hanging open. Seshat was one of those.

She then turned back to the water and casually pulled the boulder back and lightly. So, so lightly. Tossed it towards the creek. It made an incredible splash. Almost as tall as the impact she had made earlier. But this time, there was no crater. But the boulder was now half sunk into the middle of the creek bed.

She turned back towards Gabo.

“Yes Gabo... I am dangerous. I myself realized this when I threw that rock that destroyed those trees...” She paused as she thought about what she was about to say. “It was also when I finally came to realize that I was no longer human. I looked at myself in the water.” She spoke honestly of her feelings. “Is made me scared I was some sort of monster.”

She saw his frown and she shook her head.

“Not because I am a goblin, but  because I was no longer what I knew anymore... it scared me... it still scares me.” She said as she wrapped her arms around herself.

Athena then took a step forward and knelt down beside her trembling friend. And gave her a hug from behind. Giving her as much comfort as she needed.

She lifted her head towards those sitting together and asked.

“Would anyone here hate this one for being a Demon Lord?”

The group if kids looked between themselves before turning their eyes to the adults next to them. All eyes had shifted to Gabo.

Gabo for his part had not taken his eyes off of the Demon Lord since she had started talking. He had stopped trembling from her show of power. But now he was questioning himself deeply.

“Gabo...” His mate pleaded next to him.

He turned to look at her. Her eyes had a soulful look to them, one of pity, sadness and understanding. She knew what he was going through as an elder. But he also knew she understood all to well what the Demon Lord was going through... her and Athena both. He turned back and looked at the Demon Lord. Who was standing there and trembling in fear of herself within Athena’s arms.

Gabo sighed.

He then walked out of the group and started heading towards the Demon Lord.

When he was in front of them. He saw that Athena had protectively had her tighter as if she would stop him from anything he might do to her. He mentally rolled his eyes at this. Like he could do anything to her.

He then proceeded to kneel and come eye level with the Demon Lord. He then spoke loud enough for everyone to hear, but not actually shouting his words.

“Has everything you said to Gabo and all the goblins of the clan been true?”

She looked him in the eyes and then nodded her head.

“Everything. All my promises. All my truths. Everything.”

Gabo nodded at that.

“Then that is enough for Gabo.” He whispered this just for her to hear, that and Athena, who was all smiles now.

He reached forward and pried the Demon Lord from Athena’s grasp and hugged her.

“Gabo is elder and grandpa of all goblins. Gabo will be hear if you need him.”

The maiden’s eye burnt like fire as the tears rushed to her eyes.

“Gabo!” She exclaimed happily. She hugged him back, being ever mindful that she could crush him if she was not careful.

Athena smiled at the pair and was grateful for Gabo’s acceptance.

“Demon Lord!” The children suddenly cheered, startling Gabo and the maiden from their emotional embrace. They turned just in time to see the children barreling towards them and no time to brace themselves as they were tackled to the ground by six young goblin children.

They all started laughing and playing together. The children had gotten quickly

After a minute or so of playing, the maiden was then bombarded with questions from the children.

“Hey hey! What was it like being a humen?”

“Were you like the story’s? Did you eat little babies?”

“Did you have your own place to live?”

“What did you do for fun?”

“Did you have to ever fight other humans to live before?”

The maiden having been thoroughly confused by their assault if many questions. Sat up and held up her hands towards them.

"One at a time people, one at a time!" She demanded.

"Yes Young ones." Gabo interjected. "Do not overwhelm the Demon Lord. She just told you much! She will tell the young ones when she is ready and not before." Gabo announced.

"AW!..." The Children cried in disappointment. But the maiden also waved off Gabo.

"It's fine Gabo. I don't mind. But before I can answer any sort of questions, I need to get to work, I have a duel coming up to be your new chieftain. Is that okay? Would you all like it if I became the leader?" She asked the children.

"YES!" They all yelled their assent. She laughed at their enthusiastic response.

"All right! Well, I need to prepare for that. And tell you what?" She said to get their attention. "After I win, I will tell you all. The whole clan in fact. Of all my stories and plans for the village. How does that sound?"

"Yay!" The children cheered, "Beat up that smelly Gobran!" One of the more courageous boys shouted.

"This one! You should not shout that out loud! Gobran is still chieftain, and while Gabo does not like him. This one would get in trouble if he heard this one saying that!" He reprimanded.

"Sorry Gabo..." The boy apologized sullenly. Gabo just laughed, then walked up to the boy and patted his head.

"It is alright this one, just don't shout it out in the village. Gabo does not want to see this one hurt by Gobran."

The maiden laughed at the scene and its adorableness. She got up and said.

"I need to get cleaned up and talk to Athena. See you all at the village."

"BYE!" The children shout at her retreating feature.

"Children! Please! These ones are being to loud for Gabo's ears!" He lamented. They all laughed at him while he held his ears.

The maiden smiled at their antics as she walked over to Athena. She stopped in front of her and looked up to her face, as Athena smiled down at her.

"Let us go and get the Demon Lord washed up and changed." She suggested to the maiden. She nodded her head in agreement.

"Yes, let's. But there is something I need you to do first and ask of you." The maiden's face turning serious.

"What is it?" Athena asked. But the maiden shook her head.

"Just come with me down to the water. I need you to try using the sling." She said told her.

"Eh? Why? Why do you need Athena to use it?" She questioned. Wondering what brought this one and if she could.

"Just please Athena?... I need to see something. Could you try it?" She asked her, almost pleadingly.

"..." Athena thought about it. She really didn't have a reason not too. But she was skeptical of why she had suddenly asked her. "Athena will do as you have asked of her." She said in answer.

The maiden gave her a small smile, trying to encourage her.

"You’ll do fine. You watched me and saw how I was doing it right?" The maiden questioned.

"Yes. Athena understands the idea of the great one's tool... But Athena is unsure if she will be able to do like you have." She stated.

The maiden shook her head.

"I don't need or want you to do what I just did." She told her, misunderstanding what exactly Athena had meant. "I just need you to use it and try your best with it." At her words, Athena could only just nod and accept what the Demon Lord had asked of her.

The maiden when to the bank and retrieved the sling and found a suitable river stone and handed both to Athena. She then nodded her head, suggesting for her to give it a shot. Athena sighed, then grabbed the leather sling. She put the stone in the poach, then let it hang at her side. She realized that it was sort of short on her. She believed that the maiden saw that too, but did not comment on it. Whatever the Demon Lord must have wanted Athena to do, was something that Athena had finally run out of guess for.

So she started to let it swing back and forth, letting the sling and the rock build up momentum. She then let it cross her body, swinging it in a circular repetitive motion. She let this happen a few times. Just to get a feel of the weight and the motion of the sling. She then went a little faster. Swinging a little harder. And final at the six round about, she released it. Despite her reservations, the rock flew and arched beautifully over the river and crashed right off of the stump of the Demon Lord had knocked over.

*THWACK*

The sound carried to them of the stone, smashing against the tree. Even from where they were standing. They could see that the bark where the rock hit was splintered and damaged. Showing it had hit with a powerful force, but no where near the power the Demon Lord had displayed to Athena earlier.

But the maiden smiled wide and nodded her head.

"A natural and talented... You learn quick and fast. You just needed one time to see how it was done to be able to do it." The maiden praised Athena. Her cheeks going hot under her scrutiny.

"Please O' great one! You praise Athena to much!" Athena tried to dissuade her from showing her anymore favor. But the maiden shook her head.

"Nonsense. Everything I have seen has shown me this... And this is why I need your help Athena." She turned towards her, causing Athena to face towards her. "I can't fight Gobran myself. I would destroy him... it would not be fair or right. Also it would send the wrong message to the other goblins of the clan..." She hesitated for a second before reaching for Athena's hands and holding them. "Will you please represent me as my champion in my duel?"

Athena knew it. She did not know how. But she knew that the Demon Lord was about to ask her this. But she was sure that the Demon Lord must not have realized one factor.

"But O' great one. Athena can not fight against Gobran, for he will surely choose Grog as his champion. And Athena is no match for him." She tried to show and tell reason to the Demon Lord. But to her disappointment, the Demon Lord shook her head.

"You can Athena, I need that Gobran would select Grog to fight for him. That is why I made this," She said while reaching and holding up the sling. "A long time ago, there was a story from my world; where a young boy. About no more older than one of those young goblins over there, if you compare them to how human's age." She explained. "That when his whole clan was fighting another clan, that the other clan, challenged his clan to a duel. Much like this one. This man was named Goliath. He was a man said to be three times as tall as any of the other humans around him." She knew that Athena has seen a real human before, unlike the children. So she knew how large one was compared to her. Sure enough, Athena's eyes widen in disbelief. But before Athena could ask anything, the maiden continued. "It was said that none in the boy's clan had the courage to face the giant of a man. But the boy had faith in his God that he would protect him and see him through the fight if he challenged Goliath. So the Small boy, named David, was told to go down to the river by his God, to pick up three smooth water rocks. He then went back to where Goliath was waiting and accepted his challenge, even when all the strongest people and elders of his clan were to scared to do so." She paused her story for emphasis, then continued. "Goliath laughed and taunted the small boy. He made his whole clan laugh at the boy. But he accepted his challenge, to use this to crush the boy and his clan. Their fight began, and the boy to had nothing but a sling in hand spun it around and threw a rock at the giant." She smiled at this point. "It hit him right between the eyes, and the giant Goliath was killed that day. Not by another giant. Not by a strong man or solider. But by a boy. And you know what else?" She asked Athena, who promptly shook her head. "That boy grew up to be the first king of their clan." The maiden ended with a smile. "So I knew what I needed when I came down here to the river today. I knew how to beat Grog." She said with a smile, that soon fell off of her face.

"But what I did not know was that I didn't actually need anything to beat Grog. I could do it by flicking my finger." She said confidently. "But this is also why I can't... I don't want to beat Grog like that. That would just make the others fear my power. Or just listen to me out of fear. I don't want to rule people... I never have. But I want to lead these people. Lead the goblins to a better future. And to do that, they can't be following me out of fear or hatred. I don't want to be another Gobran. Or to see myself turn into him and be a tyrannical ruler." She confessed quietly. "I want to make people happy, and to have good lives. But to do that, Gobran must go. And to do that, the other goblins need to trust me and not fear me... So Athena I ask you again: Will you be my champion and face Grog?" She asked with all sincerity.

Athena was stunned to say the least to hear a story from the Demon Lord's home. But She was also stunned by what she was just asked to do. Could Athena do this? Could Athena win against Grog? She thought to herself. She looked at the Demon Lord's face. Full of trust and assurance.

Athena decided. That she would do it. Not for the Demon Lord. Not for her clan. But for herself, to prove that she was not just another goblin in the clan. That she was given a name and a purpose; to help the Demon Lord lead her people.

"Athena will do it." She answered, nodding her head strongly.

The maiden smiled at her.

"Good! let's get cleaned up. Then we can practice using that sling. This way you'll be ready for tomorrow." She said as she walked to the creek.

"Yes O' great one!" Athena said agreeing with the maiden.

55