Chapter 14: The Plan.
970 6 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“As this one has said! We cannot just let the orcs run around and do as they please! We must gather our forces and take the fight to the orcs, while we still have the element of surprise!” Raglin of the Stream clan shouted out.

“*SCOFF* Really now? This one wishes to take all our forces to just go and swarm the orcs like they are some sort of caravan?” Artemis scoffs incredulously at the stupidity of Raglin.

“This one does not see how it makes so much of a difference, if these ones' are able to attack them at night when these ones' have an advantage." A female goblin named Creeping Ivy from the Forest-Tender clan, spoke her thoughts on the subject.

"Do either one of your clans' have the supplies right now to send any of your raiders or hunters to fight an army of orcs; orcs I might add, that are probably armed and ready for a battle? And are almost positively ready for a war with the whole of the goblin race?" Seshat questioned them.

"BAH!" Exclaimed a large heavy-set male goblin from the Covetous clan. "Why bother any this? Why not just let Demon Lord take care of Orcs. This one see no problem with this here." Inputted Greed.

"*TSK* Of course Greed would suggest to let another handle it. These ones do not even bother to do anything themselves! Only collect!" Accused Athena.

Greed only laughed at Athena’s accusation.

“Greed is guilty as charged. Greed and clan only need to do what these ones' do best: collect and trade.”

“Everyone! Listen, Please!” Gabo pleaded. “We are suppose to be working together. Thinking of plan to fight the orcs. Not arguing like this. The Demon Lord will be most displeased if she finds us like this.” He tried to remind the group why they were here and to get them back on track.

“*SCOFF* And where is the Demon Lord? Why is she not leading this meeting?!” Questioned Spout of the Waterfall clan. “Shouldn’t the Demon Lord be here at a meeting she called for? Why is she not here? She did not run away and leave this mess to us, did she?” He accused.

Athena stood from her pillow.

“How dare you-“ She started to shout in outrage.

“That is alright Athena, you don’t need to defend me.” Crystaria said as she entered in through the school hut’s partition flap.

“Demon Lord!” Many of the leaders shouted out at the same time.

Athena rushed over to Crystaria, looking her up and down.

“Are you alright?! Why are you so filthy? What happened?” She asked with concern as she patted the dust off of her clothes.

Crystaria reached up, putting her hand over hers.

“I am fine Athena, just had a project to do before I came back, so I may have gotten a bit dirty.”

Athena gave her an incredulous look.

“A bit? You’re covered in dust.” She stated

But Crystaria shook her head, which kicked up so dust that clung to her hair and head.

“I am fine. No need to worry.” Crystaria assured her

They stood there for a moment just staring at each before someone coughed, drawing their attention back to the group.

They looked over to see everyone looking in their direction. Many had confused looks, but those who knew them well had satisfied smirks on their faces. Even Creeping Ivy, Breeze and Hush had looks on their faces that showed that they were amused by the two’s interactions.

Both women began to blush furiously, then quickly separated from each other.

Crystaria gave a cough to clear her throat, while also trying to hide her embarrassment at having been caught staring at Athena.

“A-Anyways. I am here now. And I know that some of you have been wondering where I’ve been.” She took a deep breath to finish calming back down and to ready herself.

“Just so I know where we stand in this meeting at this point; we are all aware of the fact that orcs are currently making their way here; that their goal is to subjugate the goblins and to kill me to obtain the Demon Lord’s power for themselves. Does that sound about right to everyone?” She asked to the  gathered leaders of the clans of goblins.

Most either nodded their heads stoically or just gave a single word affirmation.

“Good, then let’s get started: I took a little trip down the mountain to see where the orcs are currently.” Crystaria then went on to explain in detail, of all the things she saw and thought important to take note.

She then paused before she continued to ask them a question.

“Let me ask the leaders here something, for I don’t know the answer to this question; how many goblins does it take to take a single orc down?” She groaned internally at the fact that what she had just said, had sounded like the beginnings of some sort of bad joke.

The leaders looked between one another before someone decided to take the initiative to answer.

“A grown orc male? About seven goblins. A trained warrior. Which this one should expect any orc worth their sweat to be at least a little combat trained, then at the least fifteen to twenty goblins each.” Greed spoke first, at of all the people present.

While many there did not like Greed, they also knew he was a wise, shrewder and cunning goblin. That he had his hands in many sort of trades, so while some might not like how he treated things or his attitude; he was a goblin that knew what he was talking about.

Many around the table nodded their agreement with Greed’s words. Some begrudgingly; but never-the-less, they agreed with his assessment.

“That is not good.” Crystaria said out loud accidentally.

“Why is that?” Asked Artemis.

“...” Crystaria was quiet for a second. She wasn’t entirely sure how she wanted to present the problem without causing a panic.

She let out a sigh.

“There are about a two thousand orcs among their camp.”

Many there gasped and started to talk frantically amongst themselves.

“T-Two thousand orcs?!”

“Why such an army?! These ones can’t will against them!”

“How many?! Surely Demon Lord jests? Yes?!”

“Enough!” Crystaria shouted. Release just a brief flicker of her aura. The room calmed and quieted almost instantly.

The only ones to remain calm during her reveal were her close friends, the Silent-Wind clan, and Greed.

She look from face-to-face, see either fear or doubt in some of the leaders eyes.

“I will tell you all now, That I do believe we can win; and that I do have a plan.” Crystaria announced.

“But how-“ Creeping Ivy started to ask. But the Demon Lord held up her hand.

“I will tell you. But cause there is something I need to show you all. But before I do, know this; this is going to take the effort of all present here, including all of your people if we are to fight this battle and win.”

“Why? Why must we participate Demon Lord? If thou are as powerful as legend says, and as strong as some boast. Why do you not just decimate the orcs?” Once again, Greed asked the question on some peoples’ minds. But were either to afraid to ask, or think it to impertinent to ask.

“Greed!” Which is exactly what Seshat thought of the question.

But Crystaria held up her hand.

“No Seshat. That is a legitimate question, and one that needs to be addressed.”

“...” Seshat disagreed, but she also understood that the Demon Lord had her reasons. “As you wish.” She then sat back down on her pillow.

Crystaria looked at the faces around the room, taking them in one-by-one.

“Most of you only know that I am the Demon Lord by name. Some have not seen what I can do and are maybe skeptical. That is understandable and I don’t really blame any of you; if you have any doubt about me or my abilities. I to question myself at times, whether all of this is even really or not; and I question if I should even be leading any of you.” The air hang heavy with her words. Most wouldn’t believe that a Demon Lord would humble or belittle themselves like this Demon Lord had just done.

“But I do know that I can only do my best, that I can only show you a better path forward. That if any of you doubt my abilities to do so. Speak now or you may take your clan and leave. Otherwise, stay and I will prove myself and explain my plan.”

Many looked between themselves, from one to another. No one stood to leave.

After a while, the Demon Lord nodded her head.

“Alright then. This is not a dictatorship. I do not plan, nor expect you to do everything I say without question. But if I have an order for you, I do expect you believe that I have a reason for it..." She paused for a moment before continuing.

"I... I can’t control my strength yet.” She confessed. “At least not to the extent that I would like. I... the truth is, I have never killed another sapient being before; someone like a goblin, orc, human, or any other race. I really don’t want to have to kill needlessly. I am not ignorant of the fact that I am going to have too fight. But with this power.” She held her hands out in front of her. “I could easily snuff out the life of every single orc there easily. And I don’t want to be a person like that, someone who finds it ease to just take a life.” She looked back up at the faces gathered. Some had an incredulous look on their faces, others compassion or understanding, while another few were just confused at her words.

“I know that what I am saying might not make sense. But this is just how I feel, and how I am. Take it or leave it.” She told them flatly. “And my plan revolves around my ideal: that we don’t need to kill senselessly.” She looked towards Artemis and Athena. “You two might be the best to know this; how many hunters or fighters do you think we could rally between all the clans?” Crystaria asked them.

Athena and Artemis looked at each with wide eyes.

“A-Athena does not know.” She stated as she turned back to look at the Demon Lord. “But if Athena had to guess. About thirty-five-hundred?”

Crystaria nodded at her assessment.

“That sounds about right. And how many do you think it would take to take on an army of about two-thousand orcs?” Crystaria asked. Athena took a moment to do some calculations in her head.

“R-Roughly-“

“forty-four-thousand, nearly the entire populous of all the goblins between all of our clans put together.” Answered Greed once again.

Everyone was silent for the revelation.

“A-Are we doomed?” Creeping Ivy asked with a mournful expression.

“No, we’re not.” Crystaria assured her. “I have something to show you all.” She turned on her heels, doing an about-face towards the entrance. “Follow me to the forest plateau.” She informed them.

They all slowly got up to follow the Demon Lord out of the school, heading towards the caverns that lead to the plateau plains forest.

Breeze took this opportunity to make her way up towards the front.

“D-Demon Lord?” She called out tentatively.

“Hmm?” Crystaria responded to her in a tone of acknowledgement.

“Does this one truly believe we can win?” She asked in a whisper.

“I do.” Crystaria returned in a whisper. “I will explain myself more about this when we get to the field.” She told her.

Breeze nodded but still hung around.

“...”

“...”

“Was there something else?” Crystaria asked in a whisper.

Breeze hesitated for a moment before she asked.

“Would... Would the Demon Lord be willing to teach these ones how to speak with these ones’ hands like this one does?”

Crystaria wasn’t expecting this question to come up here and now of all times. She figured they might ask her eventually, but not at this moment.

“Of course. If anyone is willing to learn, I don’t mind teaching them anything I know." She assured Breeze.

"O-Oh... Thank you Demon Lord, These ones' would appreciate that..."

"..."

"..."

"Is there-" Crystaria began to ask.

"Would the Demon Lord also be willing to show these ones the ways of this one's scouts? They are very skilled." Breeze asks while complementing the rangers at the same time.

"Oh!" Crystaria realizing that this must have been the actual thing she was working courage towards. "Of course," She assures her. "It is part of my plan, I am going to start asking more people if they would like to be recruited into joining the ranger corp after this meeting." Crystaria explains. "You and your brother are more than welcome to join with them to train."

"Oh, that would be great and wonderful, thank you Demon Lord."

Another quiet, heavy pause, hangs in the air while Breeze hangs about nearby Crystaria, rather than joining back up with her brother and father.

"... Was there another-"

"Is this one and Athena mates, yes?"

Every fiber in Crystaria's being wanted to jerk itself sideways at the abrupt, unwanted, extremely forward, rude question she was just asked. She took a half stuttered step as she was walking forward then corrected herself.

"W-W-W-Wh-What d-d-d-do y-y-you mean?!" Crystaria asked in a whisper that was half-way to a hushed shout. She took quick glance behind her to look at see that if anyone heard her. Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately for her. The only ones that were close enough to hear what had been just said, was her close group of advisers and friends.

Athena herself, had her head turned to the side, looking at the tunnel walls as if there was something fascinating to them.

Artemis and Seshat both wore large cheesy grins on their faces while looking in Crystaria's direction, while Gabo just had his eyes down cast, rubbing at his temple with one of his hands.

Leaf had a confused look on her face, while her sisters' all had mischievous smiles on theirs, as they giggled, while huddling close to one another.

But those sisters always did that. But more importantly! They had all heard what Breeze just asked! OH GOD!

Crystaria Reached up with both hands to rub her warm and heated face of the embarrassment she was feeling.

"D-Demon Lord?" Breeze called gently.

And this trouble maker! Crystaria thought to herself. She reached over to grab at Breeze's ear, to pull her down close to her.

"Is there a reason you're asking this?!" She hissed, making sure to stay quiet enough so the others did not hear anything more.

"T-This one is just wondering if the Demon Lord were. It... It is unusual to see such a pair, but not unheard of... Bre... Breeze was just wondering if that was something that the Demon Lord allowed in this village, or is this just an exception for the Demon Lord?"

Crystaria was a little surprised to actually hear this.

"Is it strange to have goblins who are G-..." She thought for a second that might not be the correct term to use, and that Breeze might not understand her. "Ho-" That won't work either! "Is it that strange, to have goblins that are of the same gender be in union or be mates?" She asked a question back at Breeze. Who shook her head.

"Not strange, but uncommon. Most would not take a pairing of such seriously, for it does not produce off spring. Others might encourage and accept it. Breeze was just wondering if this one was of the latter perspective. Or were this one and that one just in some sort of union, for these ones seemed to be fascinated with one another."

Crystaria couldn't believe her ears. She felt like she was given a prize, sent from above; she was also giddy and mortified at the same time. It was nice to hear that Breeze also recognized that Athena was looking at Crystaria. But she was also completely embarrassed by the fact that she was also so obvious, that a literal stranger could tell by looking at herself.

She leaned in closer to Breeze's ear to whisper quietly.

"We're not. But! This is something I would like to happen between Athena and I. I just haven't had the courage to talk to her about it..." She trailed off as she explained.

Breeze tried to pull away, which Crystaria felt her try to do, so she let go of her ear. Breeze then looked down and gave the Demon Lord an incredulous look.

"W-What?!" Crystaria asked defensively.

"..." But Breeze just shook her head. "Nothing Demon Lord. This one just doesn't understand why this one would lack any sort of confidence."

"..." Crystaria was slightly confused as to what Breeze meant. But she shook her head, letting it go. "Was there a reason for these embarrassing, inappropriate questions? Or did you just need your curious sated?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

"..." Breeze was quiet for a long time before she spoke. "This one... has not looked hard for a mate..." She turned her head and looked towards her brother and father.

Crystaria too, looked back to see where she was looking.

"These... These ones' are coming up on their fourteenth summer, these ones' are still without a mates of their own... these ones' people are talking... suggesting we make a union... together..." Breeze explained.

All at once. Crystaria was getting where this was leading. God! I forget sometimes how fast the goblin mature rate is; These two are considered almost old by this point, like someone in their mid-thirties without children.

"Let me ask you something first before you say anything else; Do either one of you have feelings for one another?"

Breeze shook her head.

"These ones' have talked about it... These ones' have listened to what these ones' people have been asking. But neither one of us feels more towards the other than siblings."

Crystaria nodded her head.

"That is good. People may not have informed you of this yet. But that is one of the bans we put on relationships in the village: no breeding with family members as close as cousins in the village."

This confused Breeze of course.

"Why?-" But Crystaria shook her head.

"We really don't have time for a lengthy discussion for explaining things, but sufficient to say, that having children with anyone as close as blood as a cousin, may lead to birth defects. So we started asking our people to give up such relationships."

"This one only asked them?" Breeze was confused as to why the Demon Lord didn't just enforce it.

"Because I understand that they have just learned of this. Also, while I think family relationships like a brother and sister should not be allowed, I do understand that it might happen. The reason I would even ban it to begin with, is for the children they might have: to cut down on children from being born with any sort of defects. But I also think that it is their choice to accept such consequence if they choose to do so, and that they are ultimately taking a risk of any sort of complications that might happen to their children."

Breeze understood; or at least, she think she understood. She understood for the most part that there was a reason for the restriction on family relationships, but she did not understand the consequence the Demon Lord spoke about.

Breeze decided to just trust the Demon Lord's judgement on the matter, giving just a nod of her head in acknowledgement of her understanding.

"So what was your reason for this question?"

"..." Breeze was quiet for a moment before she confessed. "These ones' were discussing potential mates... these ones' have found a few with potential that we would then ask to court... but were unsure of their... situation... if they had mates already."

Crystaria then quickly came to a conclusion by what Breeze was saying. She spun to look at her.

"Do you mean Athena?!" She accidentally said a little above a whisper. She glanced to the side in Athena's direction, to see the her starting at Breeze and herself ahead of her. Athena just gave her a smile at the mention of her name. Crystaria bit her bottom lip at the sight of her smile. She turned back to Breeze who had, what Crystaria could only describe as, a shit-eating-grin.

"Do you mean Athena?" Crystaria repeated in a whisper, much more successfully this time around. But Breeze shook her head at Crystaria.

"No, we were discussing a few others, deciding which one of these ones should go ask you."

"Ask me? Who to date... I mean mate?"

Breeze shook her head again.

"No which one of these ones should ask you; for a chance to court you."

"ME?!" Crystaria asked incredulously. Not even trying to hide the surprise from her voice; or to control her volume. Which Breeze took this opportunity to tease the Demon Lord by giving her a shushing motion with her finger to her lips. Crystaria turned quickly to glance back at her friends.

Both Artemis and Seshat had their hands covering their mouths, their shoulders shaking from laughter. Gabo had both hands now at his temples, rubbing his head in some sort of comfort to stave off a headache. Athena on the other hand, gave nothing away, as she kept her smile plastered on her face. But Crystaria would have sworn that the smile she had now, didn't quite reach her eyes as they had before.

Crystaria turned back to look at Breeze, who was also clamping down on both her lips with her teeth, trying in vein to hold back laughter. Crystaria's eyes open wide.

"Were you just teasing me?" She asked quietly and in disbelief.

Breeze shook her head.

"This one meant it; and was serious." She answered with a smile playing on her lips. "But the Demon Lord clearly has someone in her heart and mind; and this one does not wish to interfere. This one only wishes the Demon Lord good fortune." She said but didn't depart yet. "And if Breeze were honest, the Demon Lord would not have been this one's first choice."

Crystaria shrugged at that. She figured she wouldn't be many people's first choice.

"I get it. I was just honestly surprised you asked at all. If I were you, I wouldn't be my first choice either. I don't really have a lot going for a partner or mate to be interested anyways." She said with a self-deprecating tease.

Breeze looked at the Demon Lord incredulously.

"Does the Demon Lord truly think so?" She asked Crystaria.

"I do. I think there are a lot better people out there that others might mate with, or be a partner too than me." She said with her own honest opinion of her self-worth.

Breeze sighed, shook her head and shrugged.

"This one will not try and change this one's mind. But know this Demon Lord: this one thinks this one would make a fine mate. That is why this one had to be ask this one first, before this one tried with any others; for this one would be a fool if she didn't." Breeze informed her.

Crystaria was kinda stunned to hear an assessment of her from another, especially one she had basically just met.

"I am not that much of a catch, surely?" Crystaria questioned Breeze on what she had just said. Which prompted Breeze to just laugh.

"This one will not go on describing such way as to why this one is worthy; otherwise this would be a start for courtship. No, Breeze will leave the Demon Lord with this: anyone would be blind or stupid, if they did not see the Demon Lord's worth. With your title alone, this one should have suitors outside of her hut, begging for a chance."

Crystaria felt herself blush at her complement. It made her feel good that is what others might have thought of her; she wasn't fond of the idea that some might want her, strictly for her title and power. But it was sort of flattering in its own way.

"Thank you Breeze... is there anything else you needed?"

This time, Breeze shook her head.

"Not at all. Thank you for your time O' great one."

"Crystaria."

"Huh?"

"My friends call me by my name when we are in private." She explained.

Breeze smiled at this.

"This one will remember this. Thank you again for this one's time... Crystaria." She said the latter part with a whisper and a bow as she fell back to start walking along side her brother and father.

Crystaria took a sigh of both relief at having finished that conversation. And also to have a moment to be alone with her thoughts to get herself ready for what she was about to show everyone.

After about another forty minutes more of walking, Crystaria could see the fading light of dusk from the exit of the cave to the forest plateau. When she was past the front of the cave, she stepped to the side to let everyone out and through, to let them see as them exited the cave system.

"W-What is all this?!" Exclaimed Gabo as he left the cave.

"D-Did you build all this?" Asked Athena to Crystaria.

"How... How did the Demon Lord produce all this?" The question coming from what sounded like Creeping Ivy.

"Is this the entrance to the village?" pondered Leaf.

"The entrance? Is this not also the village itself?" Asked Greed as he stepped around everyone to get a better look.

"But if this is the village, what are these stone walls?!" questioned Seshat.

Everyone that was coming out had a different reaction to what they were seeing.

Crystaria had set up a model of what she had planned for everyone to see.

"Everyone, may I have your attention?" Crystaria called out. Everyone turned to look at her with wide, curious eyes. All of them comping at the bit to start asking questions. "This is a model of my plan that I have set up for all of you to see." See explained. "I do want to apologize in advance for this not being to the correct scale or proportions of the village or the area."

Someone scoffed amongst the crowed.

"As if anyone here could make or replicate such a close approximation of the terrain and village as what the the Demon Lord has made. The Demon Lord humbles themselves too much." Spout says matter-of-factually. No one there disagreed with him.

Crystaria waved away his praise.

“Regardless, this is what I had wanted to show you: this is a replica of the village at the plateau and the slope leading down to the gulch.” She explained what was clearly evident in front of all the goblins there.

Seshat raised her hand to ask a question.

“But that is something that is not there right now... unless you are telling us it is?” She said while pointing out the additional structure at a flat stop in the slope of the path.

“It is not. At least not yet.” Crystaria went on to explain. “My plan, consists of building a wall to help us with the orc problem.”

“But Demon Lord,” Raglin spoke up. “The walls... even if these walls are not to scale, they should not be able to hold back the orcs, they are much too thin.”

Crystaria nodded her head.

“You’re right, these walls are to thin to out right stop the orcs or to keep them out; but that is not their purpose.” She then walked over to the front of the wall. “I want everyone to come up to the front; where I am, then tell everyone what you think of the wall structure in front of you.”

Most there that heard the Demon Lord’s instructions were confused. They all started to murmur amongst themselves. But Crystaria expected this.

“Since no one is standing up and volunteering, Raglin; why don’t you come up and go first.” She told him.

He made a grumbling complaint as he walked up towards the Demon Lord. Much like he would do when in class to learn to write.

He stood in front of the wall, in front of the Demon Lord.

“Describe what you see.” She instructed.

“I see a wall.” He said the obvious, not missing what was in front of him.

“Anything else?” Crystaria asked.

“...” Raglin thought about it for a moment before he shook his head. “Nothing that I haven’t already observed of it. Just a thin, weak wall.” He stated.

She nodded satisfied with his report.

“Thank you Raglin. Next?” She called.

After that, one-by-one. The leaders of the goblins came and looked at the wall. Some even getting a closer look at it; trying to find something different from what everyone else had already said. Most of their answers ranged the same.

Weak, small, thin, unassuming, pathetic. The list went on. The leaders turned it into a game of sorts. Trying to one up the previous person, by saying something different, or using a better word to describe what they saw.

It wasn’t until there were only two goblins left that someone’s patience came to its end.

“Is there a point to this Demon Lord? Why are you having us all look at this wall? This, what did you call it?... A Model?” Asked Spout of the Waterfall clan.

She just gave him a patient smile back to him.

“All in do time Spout. Let Artemis and Leaf have their turn.”

As Leaf came up to stand up next to the Demon Lord. She squinted at the wall. Looking for what was wrong with it.

She pondered it for over five minutes before even Artemis became impatient.

“Come on Leaf! Artemis wants her turn to take a crack at it!”

“Crack...” Leaf mumbled. At her words. Everyone quieted down and stared at Leaf.

She then walked forwards and touched the wall.

“!!!” Leaf’s eyes went wide. She turned to Crystaria. “Why there no stones in wall? Why it smooth?”

Everyone there turned from Leaf, to Crystaria, to the wall to confirm what Leaf had just said, then back again, like they had just started to watch a tennis match.

Crystaria could not help but smile. She pegged Artemis to be the one to spot this. But She was proud that Leaf was learning to be patient and to look for the smallest details.

“Very good Leaf. That is right. These walls are smooth.”

Many of the gathered goblins looked from one to another, before a few made to move forward to come look at the walls again.

“STOP!” Commanded Crystaria.

At her shout, everyone stopped moving.

“It is still Leaf’s turn.” She turned a gentle gaze towards Leaf. “Go on Leaf, look some more. Is there anything else you see?” She did her best big sister impression that she had years of practice with.

Leaf returned the smile, then turned back to the wall. Her eyes narrowing once again. She stared hard, trying her best to concentrate and find something that didn’t fit right.

It was at this point Artemis started to bounce on her heels like a kid who knew the answer, but wasn’t allowed to say.

After another couple of minutes, Leaf lifted her head away from the  wall and shook her head.

“Leaf find nothing more with walls. If walls one piece, Leaf notes, that even though walls thin, walls will be... Sturrrdddy?” She stressed her word, not entirely sure she used the right one or pronounced it correctly.

Ever the teacher, Crystaria smiled and gave her a thumbs up.

“Good job Leaf. That is the right term to used: Sturdy.” She told her.

Crystaria turned to Artemis, who was chomping at the bit.

“Artemis, your up.” She told her.

Artemis, the ever perpetual youngster at heart, ran forward and stopped near Crystaria, before Leaf even made it a step from them. Leaf and Crystaria shared a look and a friendly laugh at Artemis’s antics. Artemis wasn’t even bothered or paid them any sort of attention.

Unlike the rest of the group, Artemis ignored the wall completely. She looked at the rest of the model. She looked at the miniature forest. Studied the huts of the village, looked at the little goblin and orc carved figures. She picked up a goblin figure behind one of the walls that was sitting on the other side of a wall.

She pondered the piece, looked at where she had picked it up from.

She put it back, and as she did. She notice it. The landscape was not as it should be. She checked and confirmed it by looking at other areas on the model.

From the detail the Demon Lord had put into this, she knew the Demon Lord, would not mess up the landscape this much. She looked as to why it was set up like it was.

After a thorough study of the land. She noticed it was connected to the wall.

She took a step back, looked at the four walls of the barrier to the village Crystaria had made. They weren’t near the village at all, they were all surrounding the flat part of the slope that was about half way up towards the village.

She then cocked her head to the side in confusion. She walked back to the front. She stared at the beginning of the slope, leading up from the gulch. She looked from the forest, to the orc model army and soldiers, that lead all the way to the front of the gate of the wall.

“Wait... why?” Artemis asked. She looked towards Crystaria. Who was grinning from ear-to-ear. She stopped herself from finishing her question. It was obvious she was on the right track from Crystaria’s crooked grin.

She looked back to the gulch part if the slope, then to the wall halfway up it, starting at the rest yalm.

“Wait a moment...” Artemis said aloud.

She then sat down and looked at the model from a sitting position. The gate was large enough to let orcs through. Almost three at a time. But no more than that.

But from there she looked up at the wall again from a low position. Her eyes widened. She lowered herself more. She saw it then. She saw what all had missed that Crystaria wanted them too see.

She scrambled to jump back up to her feet. She turned to Crystaria and practically shouted.

“They won’t know!”

This confused the whole group there; and they were further confused when Crystaria nodded her head.

“That is correct. I knew you would figure it out.” Crystaria praised Artemis.

“What is correct? They won’t know what? Tell us Demon Lord!” Pleaded Creeping Ivy.

Crystaria turned to the rest of the group and begun her explanation.

“To begin with, the wall is a ruse; a fake.”

“A fake?!” Many of the goblins exclaimed at her claim that the wall was fake.

“How?” Seshat asked. “The wall looks real enough.”

“Preciously! It looks real enough. You all missed what they were looking at.” Crystaria said as she pointed to the wooden orc figures.

With the exception of a select few most had a confused look on their faces.

Crystaria waved them over.

“Come on over everyone. Group up here at the front, look at the wall from a lower angle; from the orcs perspective.”

The group of goblins walked over and looked at the wall a second time. Quite a few still weren’t getting it, so Crystaria just told them.

“The orcs will only see the front, they won’t know how thick the walls are. The walls being made out of this material, will make it sturdy enough, that it won’t be broken down by their weapons.”

Understanding suddenly came to everyone’s eyes.

“I see...” Said Greed. “Fluff the front, to hide the back.”

Crystaria snapped her fingers and pointed at Greed.

“You got it! This way, they won’t know the walls a fake until they are inside.” She then walked forwards and reached for the gate on the front of the wall. She moved it aside, then started moving the orcs inside. “They all won’t fit through the gate. And since it will be broken down as easily as I had just moved this model piece. They should all pour in through the entrance swinging, ready to fight.”

“But how does this help us win?” Creeping Ivy asks her. “Sure we trick them. But for what?”

Crystaria gave her and the group, a dangerous smile.

“For this. Artemis, Athena, Leaf. Do you see the supports of the walls, the sticks, or in the model’s case; The logs.” They nodded their heads. “Then go behind a set of supports you three, and I will take the ones behind the other walls, near the village.” They all got in position. “Now push!” She told them.

And as they pushed the supports, the walls started to crumble, tip and spill all over the orc model figures.

Gasps and exclamations could be heard from almost everyone from the group present. They witnessed the models start to get buried under rocks and stones, the land behind the walls caved in and slid more sediment and gravel on top of the figures, the orcs on the slope that had not made it up to the rest alm, were sliding backwards by the constantly shifting dirt, being buried by more ground as it fell from the front and sides of the walls. They were pushed back almost all the way to the bottom of the slop. This man-made rock slide, also built up the slope near the ridge of the rest alm. Though here now, watching this demonstration, realized that even if the orcs recovered from the rocks or damage, the terrain would almost be impassible to those who weren't buried.

Crystaria looked up to the goblins gathered there. To her friends and the clan leaders alike. All had either shocked or petrified looks on their faces.

"This is my plan." She said, startling them out of their daze at the carnage that had just happened before them. granted it was not real, but it made for an impressive display. She then pointed towards the orcs only half buried by the rock and gravel, close towards the center of the alm rest. "There are likely going to be orcs that don't remain buried." She then moved pieces she had carved of goblins, from the two sides of the slope where they had been perched. then brought them forwards towards the orcs. "These will be our rangers. They will provide us with support and covering fire with their slings and spears. They will also stall any orcs that dig themselves out of the dirt and gravel that can still fight. They are also be in charge of attacking any orcs trying to climb back up the slopes, but remember people;" She looked from one set of eyes to the other of everyone there. "I don't want unnecessary deaths; on either side. If it looks like the orc can't fight back, or is climbing out of the dirt looking half dead. Do not attack them." She narrowed her eyes and scanned the faces there once again, just to make her point. Most of the heads nodded back at her. She nodded her head back at them with satisfaction that she made her point, then continued on.

"Then, after the walls fall and the rangers get into place." She moved another set of goblin figures forward, from the front coming from the villages direction. "At this point, goblins armed with any sort of melee weapon and shield can join the fray. They will charge the orcs that did not get caught in the landslide and attempt to subdue them. We will also have other goblins on the side." She then pulled over three separate figures of the different goblins on the model battlefield. "These goblins will be there to relieve others that are tired or injured. This third type of goblin." She lifted up the figure in her hands. "Will be a medical goblin. Artemis." She called out to her head ranger.

"Yes Demon Lord?" Artemis responded in a no nonsense tone. Which was rare for her, to the people that knew her.

"Is there anyone in the rangers or any of the scouts or otherwise, that are fast, but not really good at hunting or combat?"

Artemis took a moment to think on this.

"This one can safely say that there is a few, O' great one." She said in answer.

Crystaria nodded to her.

"Good. They will need to be trained for medical: They need to be quick and strong to be able to help another move, or pick up a fellow goblin, maybe even help an orc to sit up or stand." There was a few gasps at this, but Crystaria expected this, so she held up a hand for silence. "As I have repeatedly said before: I don't want any unnecessary death for this battle; the less the better. I know we will have some. But I want as little as possible and these medical goblins are the key factor in helping with this. Seshat." She called out to her educational director; even if that was a title that Seshat herself did not realize that Crystaria had already bestowed upon her.

"Yes!" She answered.

"You are to train every goblin who is conscripted or volunteers for the medical troop, ready for their duties. Do you understand?" She slipped into a more gentler tone at the end.

Seshat gave her a soft smile, nodding her head.

"I do, O' great one."

It felt weird for people to be calling her that again. Crystaria suspected that she was going to have to get used to it for the foreseeable future, at least until she could stop being the general for a up coming battle. Then she could go back to just being the demon lord and Crysta to some.

"Very good." Crystaria told her. She looked at everyone there before she said to them. "I really don't have any sort of specific instructions for everyone. I will be talking to a few of you later, to talk about getting the supplies we'll need for the wall, for weapons and for getting our people prepared. But for the most part, if there are any of you that wishes to volunteer for any of the aforementioned roles for the battle. Then speak now.”

A hand shot up from the crowd.

 Crystaria looked at who it was and smiled.

“Yes, Athena?” She called out to her friend.

Athena stepped forward through the crowd, making her way towards the Demon Lord.

“Athena would like to volunteer for the frontline melee group.”

Crystaria instantly felt the her smile leave her face. She expected Athena might be one of the first to volunteer, but she wasn't expecting her to ask to be a part of the group facing the most danger. She thought she might volunteer for either the rangers or the medical. Since she has experience with both.

The Demon Lord was quiet for so long that is concerned a couple people there. Some turned to one another with concerned looks at the Demon Lord’s reaction and the look on her face.

“Demon Lord?” Athena called out to her friend in concern.

“H-Huh?” Crystaria gave a start, realizing that Athena called out to her.

“Is there something a matter with my choice?” Athena asked her.

“N-No! Nothing wrong with that choice. J-Just, why? Why that one? You have experience with the other roles... So... I am just surprised that you chose the melee group. So... why? Why that one? Why the most dangerous?” Crystaria couldn’t help but ask, or keep the worry and stress out of her voice.

 Athena, having been long since used to talking with the Demon Lord and seeing her worry, just gave her a reassuring smile.

“This is just the role Athena wants: Athena wants to live up to her namesake, to wield the weapons of that the goddess Athena wielded. Just like you told me. Athena wants to be the one to protect those she cares about.”

 “But!-“ Crystaria started to refute, but stopped herself. She knew she couldn’t play favorites, and she knew she would only hurt Athena by denying her what she clearly wanted; and she in no way wanted to hurt her friendship with her. Even if that meant her friend might get hurt.

I guess I am just going to have to pay attention to the battlefield more closely and keep an eye on her.

She took a calming breath, then forced herself to smile at her friend.

“I think that is a fine reason. But this is going to be dangerous. So take precautions to keep yourself safe out there... okay?” She said to  her, the smile she was forcing almost coming undone.

Athena’s smile widened and she gave a grateful nod of her head.

“Thank you O’ great one for fulfilling  Athena’s request!” She said with a grateful determination in her voice. “Athena will not disappoint the Demon Lord or let anything happen to our village.”

“... Please... No need to thank me. And you could not disappoint me Athena.”

The only one disappointing me, is myself. And if anything were to happen to you. Crystaria mentally shook her head. I hate how much my emotions are showing. I used to be so practiced at masking them.

Then the stray thought stuck in her head, she then scanned the crowd for the twins.

Masking... a mask.

She filed that thought away to look into it later for when she was alone.

She came back to the present with her smile firmly on planted on her face.

“Is there anyone else that wishes to volunteer for any of the roles we mentioned?” She asked the leaders gathered.

The twins of course. Followed suit, raising their hands.

“These ones’ would also like to volunteer O’ great one! These ones wish to be apart of the rangers.”

Crystaria nodded at them.

“Yes, I figured as much. You to will report to Artemis: She will be your commanding officer; the person in charge of the rangers.” She informed them.

Next to raise their hand was a reluctant Creeping Ivy.

“T-This one does not really wish to participate in the battle and this one knows most of this one’s clan will be the same... but we will help in anyway we can; and this one wishes to be a part of the medical group.”

Crystaria nodded at her in understanding.

“I completely understand, and that is alright. Not everyone has what it takes to take a life: even I myself am not sure if I can. But I thank you for your willingness to help anyways.”

After Creeping Ivy, another raised their hand. Then another. And another.

Everyone volunteering in someway or another.

After everyone had an area that they were comfortable helping with, Crystaria went on to tell them how she intended to execute her plan.

“So as you may have guessed. This is not a project that will be done overnight. Hell, even with myself helping, we will just be finishing up by the time the orcs get here.” Crystaria informed everyone gathered. “But we should be able to do it. If I worked on this non-stop other than to rest and eat. I think I could finish the walls in about ten to eleven days.”

“That-“ Someone started to say but then got quiet.

Crystaria just laughed, she thought that they might be past the fact that they were now allowed to question her, or to ask questions.

But I suppose that it will still take time to get used to doing that.

“Yes! Don’t be reluctant, ask your question.” She told the goblin that spoke.

A goblin walked forwards, his hand raised up, his head low.

If I remember right, his name was...

“You are Moss, if I am not mistaken?”

“Yes, O’ great one. I am Moss.” He replied.

She was always amazed at this quiet unsuspecting goblin leader. He came here about three weeks ago. He was the clan leader of the Sink-Swamp clan. As their name implies, their clan originated from a swamp. He was about twenty summer with a mate and two children. Moss was an exceptionally intelligent goblin. He picked up English and maths faster than most others that had been studying for over a month. His clan didn’t really bring much to the table beside more bodies to the clan itself; even then, it was a small margin of only a: three-hundred goblins. The only exception to what his clan was good at was that they all seemed to be exceptionally good a building.

“What was your question?” Crystaria encouraged.

“...” Moss fiddled with his hands before he spoke. “Does... Does the Demon Lord truly believe you could do as you said? Build these walls in eleven days?”

Crystaria nodded.

“I could. Or at least, I esteem I can.”

“A-And do you really believe we will be able to, B-Build these walls ourselves in a m-month?” He questions.

She nods at him.

“We have too. They will be here by then. So it is not like we have much choice. But I have a plan to get this to work. This is also going to help all of us prepare for the battle.” She moved over to the model and started pulling out large rocks from the pile. They were about the size of her head. She brought them over in front of Moss. She piled them there, one-by-one, until they stacked up about as tall as Moss was.

“My plan,” Crystaria started to explain. “Is that we will have three shifts of goblins, split between the different times of the day. We will each take turns in those times building the walls. Everyone participating in the battle will be a part of this program, in between their training, duties, and meals and rest.” At the end of their explanation, everyone’s eyes were wide with shock.

“This is how we are going to get everyone trained and strong enough to fight back against the orcs. Lifting these stones about this size: is going to strengthen everyone enough that I estimate that we will have about three goblins per-orc.”

“But that is insane!” Shouted Spout of the Waterfall clan. “That will leave almost no time in the day to do anything!” He said outraged

She shook her head.

“Wrong. In this training and work to build this wall, you’ll have about eight hours of free time to yourself. Eight of which you should use to sleep and rest up for the next day.” She informed them. “And every goblin will also be allotted two days of the week to rest and spend time as they please.”

Great, I just established the modern work week to the goblins. I am going to hell when I die for this sin.

Crystaria thought to herself in jest.

She looked among the faces of the different leaders and friends alike. Most had pensive looks on their faces. But that was understandable from what she had just told them.

“I understand that this will be hard for many to adjust to. But I too, am going to be working as much as I can to help all the goblins with this project. I am just afraid that I can’t do all the work for you; that would defeat the purpose in getting everyone stronger. But I want everyone to remember, that every day you train or learn a new skill. Is another chance to help prevent yourself, or another from dying: because we are not just doing this for ourselves. We are doing this to save our people from the orc! So! Who is ready to work?!” She asked the crowd.

Despite her concern, everyone there gave a rousing cheer of exclamation.

Watch out orcs! We’re not just going to set back and let you steamroll us!

 

Announcement
HEY EVERYONE! Phew! These last two chapters have been rough! I will make this short; I am of two minds, I want to take a break and go back and work on the chapters I have already done and fix them up a bit. But I am also almost done with this... I don’t know what to call it; a Vol? Book? Not sure?... But either way! It is almost done! We have like, two more chapters and like five epilogues to go. Yes! You heard right, five epilogues. They all can’t be squeezed into one. And I am afraid at this point that the chapter 16: The Battle, will have to be broken into 3 parts! But I digress, my question is; do I take a break here and go back and fix the previous chapters, or finish this part first and fix the chapters after. I really cannot decide on my own, and frankly Scarlet, I don’t give a poop! So that is why, my beautiful readers! Help me out! PLEASE?!

 

Your writing slave, Phraye.


Fix now or fix later?
  • Fix now? Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Fix later? Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Don’t be laze and you decide! Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Ice cream sandwiches! Votes: 13 61.9%
Total voters: 21 · This poll was closed on May 4, 2020 02:47 AM.
41