Chapter 30: Punishment.
390 14 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lirania went to go look for her men. She needed to round them up before heading back to the expedition’s caravans.

As she came up on her men, she noticed that the fighting had either been ended, or their were some of her men chasing a few stragglers.

Lirania walks up to Yamin.

“Are we done here then? We need to get back to the caravans as soon as possible.”

“Ah! Master General!” Yamin salutes. “Yes, we are about done here. There are only a few more goblins left… but we have come up to a problem that I needed your decision on.”

“That would be?”

“*AHEM* It is what to do with the females protecting the children in their village. They have surrendered and we have them surrounded… but considering everything with all of the circumstances. I wasn’t sure on how to proceed.”

“Ah!” Lirania realized the concern. “Yes… that does present a problem. Could work with the situation so far… I will take it from here though.”

“Yes sir! Thank you sir!”

“Tell some one to gather the men, leave the stragglers or survivors. We need to report back in a hurry.”

“Yes sir!” Yamin saluted. He then moved over to issue orders.

Lirania nodded at this, then headed over towards ti village proper, to see the surrendered goblins.

A group of soldiers saw their General approaching, then saluted her. To which she saluted in return. She then made a gesture with her hands, to which they then turned from their posts and began to follow her.

Yamin was on his General’s tail to catch up. His soldiers trailing behind him, to follow their General.

Lirania arrived at a group of sniveling young goblins surrounded by eight of her soldiers.

She then moves to join their ranks, while the troops behind, join her into surrounding the goblin children.

“Greetings.” Lirania started as introductions. “This one’s name is Lirania.”

Her voice and words caused the children who were sniveling or out right crying to still in fear.

“Is there anyone amongst you that has a name? Or is old enough to speak for all of you?”

The little children who understood her look between themselves. Eventually their eyes settle on a particular goblin sitting in the back with her arms curled around her knees.

This goblin gives a sigh. Then stands up.

“This one will say for these ones...” Said a young goblin reluctantly.

“Very good. Do you have a name?” Lirania asks.

“… No, this one was not blessed with name…”

“No name… *sigh* …Fine this one will name you. You shall be Obbranok.” Lirania pointed at the young girl in the back.

The young girl put her hands up, to cover her mouth in as she gasped. The other kids also gasp as they look at the one who just got named. Jealousy shining in their eyes.

“T-T-This one can give names?!”

“*SIGH*… Yes!… This one can bestow names. Anyone can give a name to another. It is not that hard.”

“…*SNIFF*… Thank you O’great one! This one! Obbranok, does not deserve such things!…”

“Oh for the love of the Dark God!…” Lirania groaned as she pinched the bridge of her nose in frustration. “Look…” she said with a swipe of her hand. “Obbranok. Let this one explain something to you, then this one will tell you the two options all of you guys have.”

Obbranok finishes wiping her eyes. She then stands at attention, looking Lirania straight on.

“Yes O’Great One! Obbranok is here to serve!”

“…No… *sigh* Fine! Whatever! Lirania doesn’t have time for this…” She complains. “Listen. This one is sorry to tell you. But your village was attacked and decimated because those of your village attacked the Demon Lord’s people. So we have attacked back.” She told them while keeping it simple. These goblins were young after all. “As it stands, the Demon Lord does not blame children for the actions of parents. So you all are going to be given two options: the first is to travel with us back to Graggoremire-“

“Take us with you O’Great One!”

“Let! me! FINISH!” Lirania shouted in frustration. She realized the everyone was trembling in fear of her again, including Obbranok, who looked sorry that she spoke up. “Look…” Lirania again pinched between her eyes, while speaking more calm tone of voice. “This one is sorry for shouting. But you didn’t let this one even tell you, your other option. Do you really wish to just go and travel with us?”

Obbranok looked from Lirania to all the others around her. So looked wary,  but most looked to here for some sort of guidance. She looked back to the Lirania.

“We will O’Great One!” Obbranok assured.

“Great then.” Lirania told her with a dismissive wave of her hand. “Glad that is sorted.” She looked around for a second. When she spotted him she called out. “Yamin!”

“Sir!”

“We will be escorting these little ones with us back to the caravan. Have you managed to find any useful supplies here?” She asked him in orcish.

“…… None sir… The only food… or, I should say, the only thing we found that they had been eating were… other goblins…”

“… Absolutely wonderful…” She then looked over to her right. “You four.”

“-YES SIR!-“ The first four answered to her immediate right.

“We’re unfortunately going to need some supplies…” She looked back to address her whole unit. “This is now an escort mission soldiers! We are now escorting all of these children to keep then safe while we head back to the caravan. Do I make myself clear!”  She bellowed out her orders.

“Sir! Yes sir!” Her united answered as one.

“Good.” She looked back to the four. “We don’t have the supplies with us to immediately keep these little one’s safe. The caravan should reach us by dusk. But in the mean time, we’re going to need some food. Go out to hunt for everyone. I have been informed of a wolves’ den on the way back towards the caravan. Go clear it out.”

“-Sir! Yes sir!-“ The four soldiers answered. They turned from the group at a jog, making their way to go procure some food.

“The rest of you!” She shouted out to her unit. “Find anything that is edible that isn’t goblin meat. Bring back any sort of supplies; tents, blankets, waters skins. Anything these children can use for traveling.”

“-Yes sir!-“ Two thirds of the orcs split up to start searching for supplies.

“As for the rest of you. Escort these children and start making your way back to camp. Yamin, you’re in-charge.”

“Yes sir!”

“Good. I am heading back to camp.” With that, Lirania turned to leave.

“Sir?!” Yamin called out in surprise.

“Yes Major Sargent? What is it?”

“But umm… you are the only one amongst us who speaks goblin here. We won’t be able to communicate with these children.” Yamin told her with concern.

“Are you serious?! Did you really not bring anyone with you who could speak goblin? not even at least half-assly?!”

“Sorry sir! I-… I wasn’t aware!-“

“Enough Major Sargent…” She groaned in disappointment, as she once again, grabbed at her bridge, trying in-vein to strive off a headache that was threatening to split her head open.

“O’great one?” A gentle voice called out next to her.

Lirania looked down at the child she had been speaking to.

“O’Great One will be going with us… won’t you?” She asked with worry in her eyes while staring up at Lirania.

Lirania looked up into the sky while taking a deep breath. She ran her hand through her hair before she growled.

“Rrrraaaggghhh! Fine!” She faced the group again. “Everyone! We will be moving out, together! Follow my lead!”

There were sighs of relief from most of her troops. With a look of excitement running through the children. Obbranok especially was thrilled.

“Thank you O’Great One!” She told her genuinely as she reached up to grab Lirania’s hand with both of her in gratitude.

“*TSK* It is fine…” Lirania assured. She removed her hand from the kid then bent down to pat her on her head. This caused Obbranok to release a fit of giggles. As Lirania straightened up looking back towards the way they came, she thought morosely.

I hope I don’t regret this…


————————————————

It was about two hours after they started walking when Willow was taken into custody. Walking this distance back towards caravan was excruciatingly long. Willow looked ahead of the group, focusing on her friends laying on the stretchers.

“Why are you guys doing this?” She asked while looking at her sister.

“Just following orders… Unlike some.” Leaf told her snidely.

“*SIGH* Look… we really didn’t have a choice in the matter, we-“

“You!” Leaf interrupted, wheeling to look at her sister in the face. “Abandoned your post, lied and withheld vital information for your superior, went off on an unsanctioned rescue mission, left your fellow squad in danger, and endangered the caravans! On top of not following the Demon Lord’s mandate to report any goblin settlements you come across!”

“But!-“

“Save it Willow! You cannot believe how disappointed I am with you! BOTH OF YOU!” Leaf shouted while wheeling around to stare daggers at Athena’s supine form.

Willow stared at her sister’s back. Trying hard to fight back tears.

“…What is going to happen?…” She asked meekly.

“…………” Leaf was quiet for a long time. “I don’t know.”She told her sister honestly. “That is why I am so scared…… I haven’t seen Artemis-… the General so pissed…”

“… Not even back when you were both hunters?…” Willow inquired.

“……No……”

Willow just stared forward after that, worrying her bottom lip as they lead her. Her friends, blissfully unaware of what was happening as they were carried back towards the caravan.

————————————————

Artemis was just getting things set up for the counsel members to arrive. Most were already there, with the exception of five.

“Sorry I am late!” Crystaria said as she rushed in through the flap of the tent. “I was still busy clearing a bit more forest out of the caravan’s way.”

Artemis gave her a wane smile.

“Think nothing of it Crysta. You’re doing so much already. A few minutes won’t hurt.”

“Well sorry all the same! I hate making people wait. But as I say that… I see I am not the only one who’s late.” She remarked on the absence of Lirania, Flannik, Gabo, and Seshat.

“Gabo and Seshat won’t be joining us. Also, Lirania is out right now taking care of things, which is another reason why Artemis called this meeting.”

“What about Flannik?” Crystaria wondered.

“Bah! What about that magic obsessed fool! He isn’t needed for this either!” Artemis assured Crystaria with some dismissive words.

“Alright… if you’re sure?” Crystaria shrugged.

“I am. This also has nothing to do with any of the others either. But Artemis also decided that it was important to put it to a vote, as the Demon Lord has suggested in the past.”

“That is fair.” Crystaria conceded.

“So, the reason Artemis has called this meeting is that a squad in the ranger’s has…” She pulled out a piece of paper. “Made a “dereliction” of duty on their scouting.” She said, struggling with a word she was unfamiliar with.

“Oh no! Why?!” Crystaria questioned.

Artemis gave a sigh.

“As far as Artemis has been able to put facts together, their was a division within the ranks on what they should do: The scouting leader and a couple others, wanted to do what they were supposed to do; which was report back their findings. While another group thought it prudent to go and investigate without my input.”

“Okay…” Crystaria stressed the word. “So what happened? What were they divided on?”

“They found a goblin village about six alms head of the caravan. Their leader, wanted to report back, with the intent that we consider the goblins as hostile.”

“Were they hostile?” Crystaria asked.

“From the reports? Yes. They apparently were a cannibalistic scavenger clan of goblins.” Artemis explained.

Several people hissed at the news of this.

“Well… we may have not been able to negotiate with goblins like that in the first place. I can see why the scout leader wanted to report it as such.” Greed commented.

Crystaria nodded.

“I agree. While it is prudent to reach out and help rouge goblin clans, there also isn’t a need to put ourselves out or in danger for those who would do us or others harm.”

“Artemis is glad you agree. Those were her thoughts exactly.” Nodded sagely at her fellow counsels words. “Which is to my surprise that the leader of the scouting party of rangers, decided to tear off their insignia rank and abandon their duty.”

“”What?!”” A couple of people questioned at the same time.

“B-But why?!” Creeping Ivy asked.

“Not really sure. As far as the reports go. The split of the group was reaching heated levels, so the leader of the group tore their insignia off, cast it at the instigator, told him to do his own investigation, then was headed back here to the caravan.”

“Is this how you received these reports?” Crystaria asked.

“No!” Artemis said angrily. “Apparently! More followed after their leader left, more arguing amongst the remaining group, then the group was split again further, with only two left in the group who wished to go investigate; to which, they did.”

“Oh no…” Crystaria realized where this was heading

This is almost like a bad soap-opera! She thought to herself.

“Indeed. As it stood, not only three, but five of the seven total of the squad abandoned the other two, letting them go investigate by themselves.”

“*TSK* Foolish! All of them!” Greed admonished. “Both the group that went to investigate by themselves and the ones who left them. They should have either all gone together, or all came back to report.”

Artemis nodded again in agreement.

“Artemis once again agrees. That is what they should have done. I am not sure what was the rash action of the squad’s leader’s reason for abandoning their position. But that was not the answer. But unfortunately, it doesn’t end there.”

“Oh god! What else is there?!” Crystaria asked in worry.

“The two that abandoned the group after the initial split, met up with the their former squad leader, informing them what had happened. Realizing the mistake that was made; leaving the other two to investigate alone. They conspired to send word to the army’s Master General, without informing me of the whole situation.”

“Oh for the love of all that is holy!” Crystaria groaned.

“While that is not an expression we use. I can’t agree more.” Greed concurred with the Demon Lord. “This is all so stupid. Nothing but dragon crap!”

“Agreed!” Creeping Ivy retorted. “This whole situation could have been avoided if they just did what they should have and reported it!”

“There is a bit more.” Artemis informed them.

“UGH! I am not sure I can handle much more of their stupidity…” Crystaria lamented.

“So as the situation stood. They spilt up. Sent a few back here to report to the Master General to receive reinforcements to eliminate the goblin threat, while the other three, left to go rescue the other two they had abandoned who left to investigate by themselves.”

“Oh for the love of the Dark God!” Greed shouted. “If any of those them survive, they should all receive a proper beating!” He said in exasperation.

“Actually, I couldn’t agree more.” Artemis stated.

“………” The seven of counsel that was currently present was silent after she suggested this.

“What?” Crystaria questioned. “Is that?-“

“Demon Lord.” Artemis called out, interrupting whatever Crystaria was about to say. “Artemis was put in-charge of the Rangers, correct?” She 

“Yes.” Crystaria answered her.

“And this one is allowed to direct them or punish them how she sees fit, correct?”

“Yes…” Crystaria didn’t like where Artemis was going with this.

“So honestly, the reason Artemis called this meeting to begin with was not because I need to approve of the punishment I give to the insubordinate; it was to approve the amount of punishment: but be assured, that they will be punished.”

“…………” The group was silent once again.

Greed broke the silence after a while. “…What does Artemis suggest?”

Artemis took a deep breath and straightened in her seat.

“This one suggest that: the squad leader receives eighty lashing form me, with twenty delivered to each other in their squad.

“Isn’t that a bit harsh?!” Cried out Creeping Ivy.

Which Crystaria mentally fist pumped for Creeping Ivy’s response.

“Honestly, no. If Artemis is being honest, this is a rather light punishment for their transgressions.” She informed them.

As much as Crystaria hated to admit it. For this kinda setting and time with how things were. It wasn’t even that an unreasonable of a punishment. Especially since they could just heal the lashing afterwords. If she were back home, something like this, while she wasn’t a lawyer that handled cases involving the military. She realized that crimes like these would probably result in at least twenty to thirty years of prison. So technically speaking, Eighty lashes, with an almost instant recovery rate was negligible and almost a scot-free trial.

Crystaria gives a sigh while she rest her forehead against her steeped fingers.

“Artemis… let me ask you two things then.”

“Hmm?”

“Would it just be to much just to forgive them?”

Artemis shakes her head.

“This one is afraid so. If we just forgive this incident, not only will people think we favor them, but others are most likely going to try something just as fool hardy as this in the future. We got lucky with this case. The only casualty we suffered was one goblin.”

Crystaria nodded her head without looking up.

She is right.

“Would it be alright if I asked you to reduce the punishment by half?”

Artemis thought about this for a while before she answered.

“It honestly might also make it look as if we… or, more to the point, that you, favor them. But… if we do it this way.”

Crystaria looked up at Artemis.

“What way?”

“…If they confess to their deeds… Yes! If they confess, then Artemis is willing to allow a light punishment.”

“… But what you’re also saying, is that if they were to plead not guilty.”

“Then I will give them the full punishment.” Artemis said resolute.

Crystaria leaned her head against her hands in thought again.

The tent remained quiet while they waited on what the Demon Lord thought.

“Alright… let’s go with that. They’re your rangers Artemis. I did promise, not to interfere to much.”

“Very good.” She then looked towards the rest of the counsel. “Anyone else opposed?”

Greed looked towards Creeping Ivy, who was also looking back towards him. They both nodded to each other.

“I suppose I was the first to say it, so I should stick to my words.” Greed concluded.

“While this one thinks it is a bit harsh… She agrees there needs to be a punishment.” Creeping Ivy reluctantly agrees.

Fraggrim looks over and nods towards Artemis as well.

Moss also gives a nod of his head.

“This has very little to do with Moss’s work. So he will defer to Artemis’s plan on this.”

“Very good. Since we are all in favor then. Once they get back and are properly treated and healed. Artemis will begin their punishment of either eighty and twenty lashings, or forty and ten.”

“Alright.” Crystaria looked around the tent. “Anyone else have anything they wish to say or add?”

“Umm…” Fraggrim raises his had.

“Yes Fraggrim? What is it?”

“Has Artemis said which group it was? It was not Breeze or Hush giving you trouble was it?” He inquired.

Crystaria just realized they did this whole discussion and decision without knowing that fact. Now she was very interested in knowing that as well.

“… That would be squad twelve that caused this incident.”

“And who is in-charge of that squad?” He asks Artemis.

“Athena.”

At her named being said. Crystaria felt as if the floor had fallen out from under her.

————————————————

After a bit of more discussion about the perpetrators. The meeting was dismissed.

“You can’t actually be thinking of seriously giving Athena eighty lashing are you?!” Crystaria frantically questioned Artemis as she was walking away from the meeting tent.

“Of course Artemis is.” She told her.

“But she!- I mean she is your!-“

“Artemis knows very well who Athena is, and who she is important too!” Artemis growled in anger while she kept walking, not looking at Crystaria.  “But Athena has gone to far. She has made this mess, and she must atone for it.”

“But!…” Crystaria tried saying but had nothing to think of to argue against it now; not now that she had already agreed to it.

Crystaria then stopped walking before saying.

“What if I try to stop you…” She told Artemis while clenching her fists at robe.

Artemis slowed to a stop before looking back at Crystaria.

“Then this one will quit being the rangers leader. This one will also take their mates and return to Graggoremire mountain.” Artemis told her plainly.

Crystaria For the second time in one day, felt like the floor had left out from under her.

“What?!”

“As this one said. If the Demon Lord can not abide by her word, this one has no reason to continue to follow her.” Artemis told her bluntly.

“But I just!- Artemis! Isn’t there something else we can?!-“

“Not really.” Artemis interrupted her with a shrug. “If we do anything else, it is like I had said before. We will only be doing this group a disservice by showing them favoritism.”

Crystaria looked down away from Artemis towards her hands, because of how fuming mad she was. But she also knew that everything that Artemis was saying was right.

Crystaria didn’t even hear Artemis approach unit she saw her feet right in-front of her. She looked back up towards Artemis who was standing a foot in-front of her.

“Crystaria… I know this isn’t easy. Do you think this is any easier for me?” She said with tears in her eyes. She placed a hand on a the Demon Lord’s shoulder. “Do you really think I wish to hurt the only offspring that my family has left?”

“………” Crystaria just stared up into Artemis’s shining eyes before answering. “No…”

“That is right. I love her just as much as if she was my own daughter; this granddaughter of mine. But this one also knows, that if Artemis doesn’t do this. That it will have to be someone else, and she doesn’t trust another to do it.  If Artemis can’t do it to Athena if she is bad. Then how will I be able to justify doing it to another when they’re bad.”

“I GET IT!” Crystaria shouted petulantly. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before she said anything else. She felt tears leaking out of her closed eyes. “…I get it… But that doesn’t make this any easier to hear or to let you do. I… I love her Artemis!” She confessed. “I… I am not sure if I will be able to watch you do this!”

Artemis nodded sagely as she to let the tears flow.

“Artemis understands. She does. But if you don’t come to this trial. It will show that you don’t agree with the proceedings, it will also show that you don’t respect her enough to be there for her when she is in pain.”

“Gosh! You know where to stab to make it hurt Artemis!” Crystaria complained.

Artemis offers her a sad smile.

“Only because Artemis also shares this pain.”

“…Artemis…” Crystaria whimpered.

“Artemis!” Called Breeze called towards her General.

Artemis stood up straight, wiping her eyes dry before turning to her second in command.

“Yes?”

“… Squads thirteen, four and five have come back with the rest of squad twelve.” Breeze informed her.

Artemis gave her a solemn nod.

“Good. Go tell them to get them prepared. And Artemis will be over there in a little bit.”

Breeze gave a salute before walking away wordlessly.

Artemis turned back to look at a weepy Crysta.

“It is time.”

————————————————

It had felt like she had heard people talking or arguing for a while now. She was so out of it. She also felt like she was floating on a cloud or something. After another long stretch of time, she felt herself being lifted up by what felt like a bunch of hands. She then felt as if she was hunched over a log or something.

Then the next thing she knew. Her Pseudo like dream state was shattered as she was thrusted into reality by a cold spray of water hit her.

She woke up looking around in a panic.

“Huh?! What! Where is?!-“ As she did. She noticed Stubs to her right, with Willow just down the way. Both of Then were tied to an X shaped post stuck into the ground.

“What is?! Did we get captured?!”

“Ah! Thank you for waking up Athena.” She heard a cold voice call out to her. One that sent a shiver down her spine.

She looked up as best as she could. Realizing for the first time that she too, was also strapped by her hands, hunched over an X like post.

“Grandma? What is going on?” Athena wasn’t sure what was happening quite yet. But she also knew that if Artemis was here, that her group had at least made it back safely.

“Now that everyone is here and awake, the proceedings can begin.” Artemis told her.

Proceedings?! Athena questioned in her mind.

She looked around and noticed that not only had she, Stubs, and Willow has been tied up. But also Cindy and Grient as well. It was close to dusk now, some torches had been lit and that there were plenty of familiar faces around her. Including her grandmother, grandpa, Leaf, Birch, Amethyst, Breeze, Hush, many other, and also Crystaria. Who was looking directly at her with tears streaming down her face.

Oh Dark God! What is going on?!

“I, Artemis. Will now begin to read off these criminals their charges.”

Criminals?!

It was at that moment, that Athena knew. That she was being judged for what happened.

Oh God…

“Athena of Squad twelve. Your squad is accused of dereliction of duty, not reporting vital information to a superior officer, withholding information from a superior officer, endangering her squadron, putting the army’s soldiers at risk, the death of a fellow squad mate. It was voted on by the counsel that your punishment will be to receive eighty lashing.

“What?!” Athena couldn’t help exclaim at what her grandma was saying to her.

All around her, murmurs were rising up into the air.

After Artemis said this she went over to each person tied up. Listing off their charges. But the other four ended up having close to the same charges as Athena. Minus the charge last three charges brought up against Athena. But they had the charge of aiding-and-abetting Athena. Their punishment was twenty lashing each.

Artemis made her way back towards Athena.

“It was said during the counsel meeting by the Demon Lord. That she would extend a bit of mercy towards your squad.”

Athena couldn’t help but breath a sigh of relief hearing this. But realized she had done so to soon.

“If Athena admits to the charges against her, she and her squad will receive only half of their allotted punishment.”

Oh Dark God… that is still forty lashings for me! But she also realized that she could, if nothing else, reduce the penalty for her squad who helped her.

She stretched her head up as far as it would go, ready to answer. But then her grandma came down close to her face. Putting her cheek next to hers to whisper directly into her ear.

“This is your chance.” Artemis told her.

What? What was she talking about?

“This will be the only moment that Artemis will be able to ever give you Athena. A chance to proven to the whole of the rangers, the army, the rest of the caravan. That Artemis and Crystaria do not, in-fact favor you.”

Athena’s heart was beating so loudly in her ears at what her grandma was saying and implicating.

Artemis pulled back enough to look at her granddaughter’s eyes. Then whispered again.

“This is the only chance I can give you. For you to prove that it isn’t favoritism, like you worried about the other day with that orc.”

Athena’s eyes went wild with worry at what her grandma was telling her without saying.

She then backed off a step to stand about a yalm in-front of Athena. Looking down at her with contempt.

“What does Athena plead?”

Athena looked away from her grandma, towards the only other person that mattered at this moment.

Crystaria was looking at her with her hands steeped, clenching them together tightly. Her eyes looking back at Athena. Seeming to be begging her for something.

Athena took one last glance at her, before turning towards her squadmates to her left and right.

Cindy looking at her much the same as Crystaria was.

Willow, Stubs and Grient were both quiet with their heads down.

Athena then looked back up at her grandma, who was still looking at her with contempt in her eyes.

“Not guilty.” She told her.

Crystaria’s face fell at what Athena had said. Her tears flowing even harder now.

She could hear Cindy weeping loudly next to her.

She could have sworn she had seen a look at anguish pass across her grandma’s face. But it was only for a brief moment, and she wasn’t even sure if it wasn’t just the shadows tricking her. Because her face seemed to harden after that.

She turned towards the gathered crowd.

“As you all have heard! This criminal has pleaded “not guilty!” So she, along with the rest of her squad will be receiving their full punishment!” Artemis announced.

She turned back towards Athena.

“We will be starting with her squad, so that Athena can listen to their agony of the choice she has made.”

“What?! No! Start with me!” Athena pleaded her.

Artemis ignored her pleas. She then proceeded to go down towards Grient. She was handed an ilm thick branch that was wrapped in leather.

She then heard the ripping if clothes as Grient’s back was exposed to the crowd and the open air.

*SMACK*

“Agh!”

“Stop!” Athena yelled and pleaded. “Let me go first!”

*WACK*

“Aaaaggh!”

“Stop it!”

This went on for the whole of Grient’s twenty lashings.

Artemis then moved over towards Cindy.

Cindy was struggling furiously against her restraints as her shirt was torn. She was begging Artemis.

“No! Please! Don’t hurt Cindy! Please! I- I didn’t want this-! I didn’t mean for-!”

*WAP*

“AAAAAAA!!!” She screamed in agony. Her cries more intense than what Grient let on.

Athena continued pleading.

“Please! Don’t hurt them!”

*SMACK*

“AAAAAAAaaa!!!”

“Please…” She started losing the will to even be able to speak as she heard every continuous lash against her comrades skin.

After Cindy’s lashings, to which she was just reduced to a crying whimpering mess. Athena had given up by then that her grandma was going to be anything but merciful. She felt her grandma’s presence as it past behind her, walking towards Willow on the other side of Stubs, who was closer to her.

More ripping sounds.

*WHAM*

“Rrrgg!” Willow grunted. Enduring the pain, trying to now make to much noise.

Athena face was scrunched up in absolute distress at hearing the sounds, that seemed to be amplified without her screaming for mercy. Her tears were flowing down her face since the beginning of Cindy’s first lashing.

*CRACK*

“AGH!”

Willow endured until she got to about fifteen, then she started to cry out.

After she was finished, Willow too, broke down weeping her pain. Which to Athena, sounded very loud with both Willow and Cindy crying on either side of her.

Athena listened as she heard more ripping of cloths.

*WHACK*

“…..” Stubs for his part, was blessedly silent for his lashings.

*WHIP*

It wasn’t until about the about the last four did he make any sort of sound of anguish.

Athena listened as her grandma’s steps took her to be right behind her.

*RIIIPPPPP*

Her shirt fell away. Leaving her bare back exposed.

She gritted her teeth.

*SLAM*

“Agh!”

Oh Dark God! It hurts like fire!

She now realized what her squad had endured. How it was now her turn.

*SMACK*

“AGH!”

Oh dragon crap this hurts!

Oh Dark Gods! No!

She realized then.

I have seventy-eight more!

*THWACK*

“AAAAGGGGHHH!”

By the time the last ten or so hits had struck her back. Athena had been long since passed out.

As soon as the last hit landed. Artemis dropped the switch.

“ATHENA!” Crystaria cried as she ran towards her prone form.

She was crying tears the entire time, but even harder once Athena was the one being punished.

She immediately began to cast a spell to help the pain and heal her wounds. While she didn’t have many, she had at least thirty or so open cuts from where the switch struck her back.

Artemis was staring at Crystaria crying over her progeny’s beaten form.  She looked down at her own hands. To see that they were trembling.

Keep it together Arty.

She the looked at up the assembly of the caravan around her. Almost every face was distraught in one way or another; sad, angry, upset, distressed, crying, weeping, trembling, scared… there didn’t seem to be a single soul there that welcomed the sight of what had transpired.

“The criminals have received their punishments.” Artemis said towards the crowd. “The group of squad twelve will be dissolved from the rangers. None  of them shall be reinstated or be permitted to join again.” She announced. “The other surviving member was to severely damaged to receive his punishment. So his sentence will be post-pone until another time. That is all for this gathering… dismissed…” She got out, just barely before her voice started to crack.

She walked away from the Crystaria and Athena, heading towards her mates. Both Gabo and Seshat look to her in worry and concern. But she walked pasr both of them saying.

“Arty…” Seshat called out gently.

“Attend to our child.” She snapped out without stopping. She made her way away from the onlookers towards the campsites.

Gabo reached over, putting his arm around Seshat. She buried her face into his chest and wept.

————————————————-

It was completely dark by the time the had gotten back to the caravan.

“By the Dark God! Finally!” Lirania praised as the crossed the tree-line threshold.

She looked back towards the rest of her party behind her.

All of her troops looked exhausted as she felt. The children didn’t look much better. But the were also bright eyes from the excitement of being in a new place.

But she was happy now. Now she could find someone, namely Seshat, and hopefully pawn these children off on her. She needed to go and find out what was happening to Athena’s group.

As they entered the camp proper. They all noticed the somber air hanging over the camp.

“General… what do you suppose happened while we were gone?” Yamin unsubtly asked.

“I can only imagine…” She thought she had a guess, but she also didn’t want to jump to conclusions.

She saw someone she recognized and headed towards them.

“Oglran!” She called out to her former soldier.

“Ah! General!” He spoke to her in goblin. She found this weird, but decided to let it go. “To what can I serve?”

“Well! For starters! You can tell me what has gotten this whole camp in a downer, then direct me towards either Seshat or the Demon Lord.”

“Ah! Well… to answer your second question first. Both the Demon Lord and Seshat are in the medical tent, visiting Athena.”

“Ah! Is she still asleep? Lirania would have thought she would have been up by now.”

“… I mean… she was up. But not anymore.”

What was that supposed to mean?

She was about to ask him just that when someone came up to her.

“General.”

She wheeled around to see it was Leaf.

“You again.”

“Yes… me.”

“What do you want?”

“Me and mine here are to relieve you of your charges… once again, I suppose.”

“Ah! Well… that would actually be helpful this time.” Lirania quipped, then shrugged.  “Lirania was going to look for Seshat, but she supposes this will do.” She looked over to give a short order to her men.

They came forward with tents along with scavenged goods that they had taken from the goblin village.

“We grab as many things as Lirania thought might be useful fir these little ones once they were brought here.”

“… I see… that was very thoughtful and wise General. This will help up in a long way.” Leaf assured her. “We can now get these kids fed and put to them bed tonight, then make decisions for them properly in the morning.”

“Good. If that will be all, I have things I need to report to the Demon Lord.” Lirania made to side step Leaf.

“Umm! Actually!” Leaf moved to stand in-front of Lirania. Barring her path.

This pissed Lirania right off. The air around charged with Lirania anger.

“What?!” She growled at Leaf.

“If you would. The General would like a word with you first… please…” Leaf pleaded. She seemed to be triggering Lirania’s sense that something wasn’t right.

“*SIGH* Fine! This one will go see the Ranger General first!… Lirania has some things to as her anyways. Where is she?”

Leaf let out a sigh of relief.

“She is in her tent.”

“Good.” She then made another move to side step her, but two little hands caught hers from behind. She wheeled around to yell at whoever it was. But then realized who it was.

“Please don’t leave us by ourselves!” Obbranok pleaded her.

“*SIGH* Listen little one; Obbranok. This one has to go talk to some very important people right now.” She reached over to and laid a hand on top of Leaf’s head. “This aunty here will be taking care of you guys for a little bit. I will come check on you all later, or tomorrow.” She assured. Leaf looked up at Lirania incredulously at both for how she was acting towards this kid, and also how she was just addressed as.

“Promise?!”

“Yes.” Lirania promised. “This one will be back. If not tonight, some time tomorrow.”

“Okay!” She let go of Lirania’s hand. “Come back soon, okay?”

“Okay. See you soon.”

————————————————-

As Lirania found the Ranger General’s tent. She realized a problem.

Am I going to have to call her out or crawl inside?! The tent being at least half the size as Lirania was tall, and barely wider.

But before she made a decision, a slurred voice called out.

“Don’t make me wait all night princess!~” Artemis called out to her.

“*SIGH* Here goes nothing.” She got down on her hands and knees to crawl through the tent’s flaps. As she entered. She noticed Artemis had her mouth pressed against a bottle that she was tilting back.

Lirania was blinking in surprise.

As Artemis finished with her swig of her drink, she turned to look at Lirania.

“Arty figure you wo-…wo-… might show up… even-… Soon!” Artemis slurred.

“Artemis? Are you drunk?!” Lirania asked astonished. Still not believing what she was seeing.

“*PFFT!* *HIC* Not enough to make you look pretty to me! That is for sure!”

Lirania wasn’t even sure how to take that.

She gave another sigh before crawling further inside. She reached up taking the bottle from her hand, before chugging the rest herself.

“Hey?!~ That was mine!~” Artemis argued.

“*HUFF* I think you had enough.” She told her. “Now… mind telling me why you’re alone in this tent, getting drunk by yourself, with neither of your mates, while your granddaughter is in the medical tent?”

The slight smile that was gracing Artemis’s lips quickly faded into a frown. She looked away, staring into the corner of her tent.

Lirania didn’t rush her. She waited patiently. She had waited all day to get answers. So by the Demon Lord she was getting answers.

“Arty… can’t face Athy right now…” Artemis told her.

“Athy? Athena? Why not?”

“Because… she probably hates me now…” She told her honestly.

“No she doesn’t. That girl respects you so much. She talks about you, your mates, and the Demon Lord constantly. Lirania doubts she hates you.”

“……… Arty ust wishes you let her get drunk and sleep………”

“Why? Why are you avoiding her?”

“Because this one put her there!” Artemis turned to yell at Lirania.

Shocking Lirania to back away slightly.

“What do you mean you put her there? What happened today isn’t your fault.” Lirania assured.

At this point. Artemis leans forward resting her head on her knees, covering her eyes with her hands as she’s crying her eyes out.

Being very concerned about her sudden drunken break down. Lirania crawls forward more, until she is behind Artemis. She then gently turns her around, trying to embrace her with one arm, while laying on her side. Artemis throws herself into the embrace. Crying into Lirania’s proffered shoulder.

“Shhhh… it is okay… she is alright now… everything is fine. Athena is back, safe and sound.” She assured her, thinking that she was upset at how close they were to losing her.

Her words have the opposite effect on Artemis than Lirania had expected. She starts crying harder.

————————————————-

It was about two hours later that Lirania found herself staring down at the passed out form of Artemis. She was staring down at her from sitting on her knee hunched over. Her hands clenched into fist.

So that is what happened. Damnations!

Lirania pitied Artemis a lot at that moment. She was also mad at her. But it was a minor thing in her mind. What she was angry about. Was that despite everything, nothing in this scenario was incorrect. If her soldiers would have done the same, she would have also done something as harsh as what Artemis had done, maybe even worse.

That was the reason I’m not as angry, or to the point, why I can’t be angry at Artemis for what she had done. It could have been anyone with the switch, it could have been that Leaf bitch could have been uncle Flannik as someone who was a third party, or anyone! She choose to be the one to divvy-out the lashing. Just so that Artemis was hurting herself as much as she was hurting Athena.

She hated it.

She hated that she wasn’t here to help her.

To speak on her behalf.

That she couldn’t protect Athena when she needed her most.

I would have gladly taken all their lashing, if only that she didn’t have to suffer that pain.

Damn it!

She slammed her fist into the ground.

Not only all of that, but also learned that Artemis had apparently been watching them the other night. She thought for a moment that this might have been some sort of punishment to Athena or herself for what she heard, or saw Lirania do with Athena.

But it was a fleeting thought. She knew better.

Artemis did this to show everyone that while she might have cared for her; she wasn’t above doling out a punishment, especially for a loved one. So that Athena wouldn’t have any regrets about leaving the Rangers when she wanted to.

So that Athena would hate her personally for what was done to her. Even if it was justice.

DAMN IT!

Lirania smashed the ground again with her fist.

Why do the old sacrifice everything for us! Damn you father!

She realized she was crying for a loss that she hadn’t really taken to much time to mourn. She was just to busy since she had first recovered.

“I really hope she is alright- iiiyyyyaaaa!” Lirania heard a scream behind her that made her try to stand up on reflex, but was a terrible idea. Which made her head hit the pole, while also making herself curl up into a ball, falling onto her back, as she lost balance.

“Damn it!”

“Lirania?”

“Master General?”

“”What are you doing in our mates tent?!”” Gabo and Seshat questioned her at the same time when her face came into view when she fell backwards.

“Good evening Seshat… Umm?… Goba?”

“Gabo.” He corrected.

“Right…”

She crawled out backwards out of the tent as best as she could.

“Truth be told… Lirania doesn’t even know any more… I came here to get answers for what transpired today. All Lirania got was a drunk Artemis’s drunken ramblings, that and having her crying on this one’s shoulders for hours.”

She stood up straight as she could, popping some bones that were stiff in her back.

Seshat smiled at her. She reached up to grab Lirania’s hand.

“Thank you dearie for watching over our mate.” She said appreciatively, while tapping the back of her hand with her other hand. “One of us really should have been there, but…” She trailed off. Not wanting mention why they weren’t.

But Lirania waved her off with a hand.

“Don’t mention it. It will just embarrass Artemis and Lirania if you ever bring it up. So we will leave it at that.”

Seahat couldn’t help but smile more warmly at her.

“You are such a kind soul. Thank you again for watching over her. Have a goodnight.” With that, Seshat moved over to duck down into the tent.

After watching her make her exit, Gabo gave a nod towards Lirania, then walked in to join his mates.

Lirania felt exhausted. More exhausted than some battles she has been on. Sure there has been worst than this. But as of right now. She was hard pressed to name one.

“It has been a long day…”

But she had one more place she wanted to visit no matter what.

She took a five minute walk to get to the medical tent. Once she was there, she opened the flap to walk in. What surprised her was that there were still a couple of people milling about. She scanned the room quickly, finding Athena almost instantly. Along with the masked and hooded figure of the Demon Lord.

As she was walking up to Athena and the Demon Lord. She noticed that besides a few goblins she didn’t know at all, along with a couple of orcs she didn’t know by name, who were lying down complaining about some sort of illness.

She didn’t see anyone else in the squad that they rescued.

“Demon Lord, good evening.” She gave as a greeting.

“…………” But the Demon Lord didn’t respond at all. She just stared down at Athena’s face, while holding her hand.

“So? Lirania does not see any of the other goblins we rescued… So? Does that mean they weren’t as bad and were free to go?”

“………………”

She once again got no response.

Lirania just sighed. Sitting across from Athena on an empty cot, directly across from the Demon Lord.

They sat there for, Lirania didn’t know how long.

The Demon Lord finally made a sound that was an intake of a shuddering breath.

At first, Lirania did nothing more than to just glance at the Demon Lord, then back to Athena.

“…………….………Why?………………………”

“……” This time Lirania wasn’t even sure what she was saying “why” for.

“”Why?” What?” Lirania asked her bluntly.

“………Why can’t I ever seem to keep her safe?………”

Lirania sighed for what felt like the fortieth time that day.

Why do I have to take care of all the cry babies today?!

“It is simple: You can’t; and it is not your job.” Lirania told her jokingly.

But the Demon Lord took that personally.

She stared at Lirania with an aura filled with Hatred. Her gaze froze Lirania into place. Her aura was so thick, that it was wrapping around her throat, choking the very life out her.

“And why can’t I?!” She shouted. “Why the hell do I have these powers?! If I can’t even help and protect one single goblin?! Why the fuck?! Am I even here for?!” She shouted.

Lirania could do nothing her muscles we frozen, she had to fight with all of her strength, just to lift one arm up, make a motion towards her throat that she was choking.

Realizing what was happening, Crystaria backed off and took a breath. Her aura dissipating as if it was never there.

Lirania bent forwards to put her head between her knees. Trying in-vein to catch a breath, as she choked in air.

Next to Lirania she heard four thuds.

After she got some semblance of control over her breathing. She noticed that the other four goblins had fallen where they were standing, passing out on the floor. 

“…..Why can’t I do anything right? Why can’t I ever protect the ones I love?…..”

“……….*wheeze*…… Demon……. *wheeze*……. Lord…..” Lirania barely was able to squeeze out.

“‘……” The Demon Lord said nothing. She made a few gestures with her hands. Which glowed with purple rings around them. Then the supine bodies on the floor that were passed out, had similar colored circles underneath them, they then rose into the air, before settling down on some of the empty cots in the room.

“Some times…. *wheeze*…. It is not being strong enough…. *wheeze* ….. to protect them…. *wheeze*…. But being strong enough…. *wheeze*…. To be there…. ….and be with them, while they are hurting and in pain….”

“………………” The Demon Lord was quiet for a long time before she said anything. “…. I don’t want to see her in pain though…..”

“…… Then?….. what makes you think?….. that you have the right to be there to protect them from it?”

Once again, she goes quiet.

The Demon Lord starts walking away from Athena and Lirania. She does nothing until she is at the flap of the tent. “….. I guess you’re right…..” The like mist, she is gone. The flap of the tent falling closed from where she was holding it.

Finally having her breathing under control. Lirania turns back to look at Athena.

“….Finally…. Alone with you at last…” She gets on her knees to the side of Athena cot. “I am sort of a hypocrite… but I also meant what I said… I will be there to watch over you, whether you are hurting or in pain, or you are healthy as rain. I am sorry I wasn’t there to help you today. But I am so glad you are alright.”

She then leans in to plant a kiss on Athena’s lips.

As she pulls back. She stands and brushes a lock of her hair back into place.

“Goodnight dear heart.”

Then she too, exits the tent.

Announcement
KYYYAAAAAA!!! We’re at the home stretch bois!

If my calculations are right! We are now down to the last three chapters! (After this one). Three more to go! THREE MORE TO GO!!!

I am so excited! Book 2 is on it’s way! Yea!!! I also have like 4-to-7 side stories to do. But they are small, with some NSFW content, and to wrap up a couple things.

Then we are off to the races! KYA! I can’t wait! Book 2 is where we leave the kid’s gloves behind! It is going to start rolling down hill from here! You guys are now familiar with some lore! You know important facts! So no more long expositions! Just story, action and dialogue from then on out! 

Oh happy days!

19