Chapter 13 – Price
52 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the end, I was forced to see the doctor.

Seela took us to our lodgings after lunch, and after showing me around, she called the family's doctor.

The doctor came directly from our territory. He checked my body very rigorously, being extremely careful to not overlook anything. He only left when he made sure that nothing was wrong.

Once he was gone, I heaved a tired sigh.

“I told you I was alright, didn’t I? It was unnecessary to call a doctor.”

“It’s not. Being cautious is never a bad thing. You never know what could happen.”

I let out a bitter smile.

Really, what am I going to do with my overprotective family?

“I don’t understand, young master. Why do you hate doctors so much?”

“I just do. No reason.”

“Really, sometimes you are like a child.” Seela ruffled my hair with an exasperated expression. “Who hates doctors anyway?”

“Hey, everybody has something they dislike. It just happens that doctors are not my thing.”

Lina pouted.

“I dislike vegetables and you force me to eat them.”

“This and that are two different things.”

“They are not!”

Seela looked at us helplessly.

“Okay, don’t start a fight now. It has been a while since we met. What do you think if we play something?”

“About that sister.” I looked at Seela apologetically. “I’m feeling a bit tired. I think I’m going to take a nap.”

“Really?” Seela was disappointed, but she did not show it. “Alright. Go and rest. Vanessa and I will tidy the place up while you sleep.”

“Thank you.” I smiled and let out a yawn.

Central Academy was the grandest school in the world, and the lodgings it assigned to its students were just as grand.

Every lodging was literally a small manor, with several rooms, a kitchen, a dining room, a huge hall, and a beautiful garden.

Moreover, they assigned maids and a housekeeper to keep the manor clean. Honestly, it was luxurious even for a noble.

My bedroom was on the second floor. It was equipped with a huge bed that looked comfortable from just a glance.

Although I really wanted to take a nap, I suppressed my desire and sat cross-legged on the bed.

Tonight may be an intense night, so I should use this opportunity to meditate and get my body into top condition.

Meditating is not as comfortable as taking a nap, but it’s a more efficient way to rest.

Plus, the visit from the doctor left my body in disarray, and meditating will help me to fix it.

“… Really, they sure are overprotective.”

I understand the reason, though.

I have been very sickly since I was a child. My body was weak and prone to illnesses. It was normal for me to fall sick and spend several days in bed. Sometimes, I stayed in bed for entire weeks.

There were even a couple of times when I had to be kept in a special medical ward because my condition was so grave that it endangered my life.

My health worsened even more after the death of my mother. The year after she died, I was under the constant watch of several doctors every day to make sure I didn’t die suddenly.

It’s not as bad now. Still, it’s not uncommon for me to fall ill suddenly, start coughing blood out of nowhere, or catch a cold so strong that I barely can move.

Under these circumstances, my family’s overprotectiveness is reasonable.

However, I know the true reason behind my sickly constitution.

The gift of future sight is powerful, but just as it is powerful, it’s also costly.

My body is harmed every time I foresee something. Although the harm done varies according to the kind of precognition I see or how complete it is, a price is always paid.

Moreover, there are some things in my body that made the situation still worse. Some… dangerous things.

I have learned to live with this burden, though.

To me, this sickly body is part of the price I must pay to get the future I desire.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. It only took me a few seconds to fall into a state of deep meditation.

When I opened my eyes again, it was already dusk.

I exhaled a mouthful of turbid air and checked the condition of my body.

As expected, most of the harm done by the visions of today had been repaired.

My mana was also flowing smoothly, and my muscles felt light.

I was in top condition.

I left the room and found Vanessa waiting for me outside.

“What about my sisters?” I asked.

“Miss Seela and Miss Lina left a couple of hours ago. Are you going to have dinner immediately, young master?”

“Please.”

“You plan to go out tonight, right?”

I hesitated briefly before nodding.

“... Can I go with you?”

“I’m planning to move alone this time.”

Vanessa’s expression became dark. She hesitated briefly, considering if she should dissuade me, but eventually, she just sighed.

“I understand. I’ll get everything ready.”

“Thank you.”

“Just try not to get injured.”

“I won’t, don’t worry.”

Vanessa did not seem relieved despite my words.

But we had been together for several years now. She knew better than anyone that trying to change my opinion was futile.

The best she could do was support me as much as she could.

Just at that moment, the butterfly-shaped accessory in my pocket vibrated.

When I infused mana into it, Erika’s voice sounded in my mind.

[I found the information you asked for.]

It was the news I was waiting for.

5