Chapter 14: Let sleeping bones lie.
115 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Think we will be okay with the Silver Wolves, moo?" I ask the whistling tiny Gnoll girl next to me, her arms around the back of her head.

"Yeah cowcakes, we should be good! Imagine all those juicy drops and exp nye!" She licks her lips in anticipation.

As we trudge forwards the ground starts to look misshapen bit by bit and the ground looks gouged out, like a bulldozer has come on through. When the blood starts trailing in its wake, that's when the concern really hits.

"Hey uhh keeks, you think this is any kind of normal moo?" she moves over and sniffs at the blood and then dips her fingers in it.

"Mmnn pretty fresh, surprised we didn't hear anything on the way through nye.." Howling sounds off in the distance, the sounds of war with something, followed by a guttural rawring.. monstrous.

We follow the trail and it only gets worse, trees uprooted and thrown around, the bodies of silver wolves picked off like flies. Staying as quiet as a heifer can possibly get with 2 bells on, we try to stealth our way along, following the obvious trail of carnage.

Claw marks dash against the tree's, darker infected looking blood stains the ground, chips of bone fleck around it. Something unlike from the wolves, their blood a bright red against the darker infected blood of the monster that's demolishing them.

Finally we approach a clearing, the howling interspersed with yelping and cries, we shuffle over the top of the hill and hide to get a better look. Something large.. that was maybe once a bear, standing in the center, surrounded on all sides by the remaining silver wolves. A cave sits off to the north side with the largest wolf I've ever seen guarding it, covered in scars with striking silver fur speckled with gold.

Behind it cowers baby silver wolves, puppies behind their protector, bravely facing down a predator. The thing is facing them, hungry, angry at existence.. And it should be, its bones have grown out of proportion, and the skin isn't growing with it. Its mouth barely has any give left and as it screams for blood its gums tear, more of its own feral blood spilling against the ground. The sinew hangs lazily onto the bones, I can only hope it can't feel pain, but from its screams I know the answer. I would go crazy too.

It's killed so many of their kind, but all they can do is throw themselves at it, protect their young.

Sitting back we look at each other, fuuuuuuck. That's one mean son of a bitch even with all the wolves trying to tear it apart. It doesn't look like it's going to end soon, or if it does the wolves aren't going to be the winners, at least we have time to think and level up. 

I've gotten 2 levels since keeks saved me from those white wolves in the tree, she might be the craziest little thing I'd ever met but she keeps to her word.

I've got 5 more points to spend after I put the first 5 points into wisdom from level 5, I throw 4 points into Wisdom to hit double base digits and 1 into Constitution to beef me up a little just in case.. It was a good choice, Zel said I should be able to unlock some new basic abilities with a little more Wisdom.

---------
< Accumulated skill and requirements attained has allowed learning of new abilities >
< Wisdom Requirement for ability attained - 8 >
< Ability Acquired - Inspect (common) - Passive - >
< Wisdom Requirement for ability attained - 10 >
< Ability Acquired - Slugfest (Common) - Passive >
---------

---------
Slugfest level 1 (Common) - Passive Ability
20% Additional damage when attacking unarmed or with fist weapons
---------
Inspect Level 1 (Common) - Active Ability
You can see a small amount of information about a creature or object.
------------

---------
Status Interface
Name: LilMoo
Level: 6
Race: Minotaur
Gender: Female, She/Her
Max Health: 80
Max Mana: 70
Max Stamina: 100

Points remaining: 0
Strength: 11 (12)
Dexterity: 6
Constitution: 2 (4)
Intelligence: 1
Wisdom: 10 (12)
Charisma: 1
Luck: 50
------------

I throw a right hook and feel the air give way, feeling like they used to! My body still feels weak and sluggish, but at least my fists are doing work. A bit more into Dexterity and it will feel like the good old days. These creatures I've killed are nothing compared to the responses of a real human. I could have done so much more and smashed through this forest like the monster before us if I had my physical capabilities back, well.. with less terrain destruction.

Looks like keeks is also done with her leveling and preparation, she's on her belly looking over the hill at what might be our prey, "what you think?.. Should we give it a try moo?".

She looks back over at me with a cheeky grin, "You've got inspect right? Take a look at the big bastard nye!"

------------
< Inspect Lvl 1 >
Name: Bone Mutation Black Bear
Type: Mutated Beast
Threat: E Rank (Grows)
'A monstrous creature born of hate and pain, the more it consumes the more it grows and mutates, recommended to be killed on sight, for its sake and ours.'
------------

Keeks giggles at the flavor text, "hehe for our sake and loot you mean nyee!" She's got a dangerous look in her eyes, her hunger for drops knows no bounds!

"Mnn I mean it looks like it's pretty injured, surely we have a chance.. Maybe we could get help from the silver wolves as well moo??"

We nod at each other Keeks, handing me over a health potion, we head over the ridge, I didnt even think to buy any in town, hopefully I remember that next time before I decide to go on any suicide missions.

------------
Basic Health Potion
Heals small wounds and restores 40 health
------------

Only about 5 of the normal silver wolves are left as well as the elder silver wolf.

------------
< Inspect Lvl 1 >
Name: Silver Wolf
Type: Beast
Threat: F Rank
'A cousin of the white wolves, they are very territorial and will fight to the death for their pack, if you kill one you'd better run or hide, because the rest will hunt you down till the last'
------------
< Inspect Lvl 1 >
Name: Elder Silver Wolf
Type: Superior Beast
Threat: F+ Rank
'A Silver Wolf that has been protecting the forest for a long time, it has nearly evolved into a golden wolf, a magical beast hunted for its fur, it will do anything to protect its pack'
------------

Traversing the clearing we scope out the area hoping to get a sneak attack in, at least for keeks, I don't think I'd be any use in that regard, the wolves have definitely felt our presence, the Elder Silver Wolf regards us warily but mostly ignores out presence, the monster after its children a much bigger threat. 

I make contact with it, trying to show it that we don't mean any harm, lifting my hands in surrender, it stares deep into my eyes, snorting in disdain, it howls softly and the 6 wolves start backing off from around the monster moving closer to the cave entrance, creating a bastion of defense and leaving the bears back open.

They are co-operating! Zel said that even animals in this game would have a higher intelligence, it's expected that something that's nearly a magical beast would be even more intelligent!

Keeks starts bouncing up and down on her feet, barely making a sound in the grass, she suddenly accelerates across the clearing aiming for their back!

Fuck I am not built for speed right now! I try to chase after her making the most god awful racket, some of the wolves are looking at me like I'm an idiot, look, it's an aesthetic choice and it's important!! the bell on my neck and the bell on my horn clanking and chiming in unison, at this point I feel I should have unlocked a taunt by now.

Thankfully the response of the bear to turn around is hampered by hunger as it stares at the feast in front of its eyes, I keep my dignity intact.

Catapulting off the ground the Gnoll assassin appears at the top of the creature's head "SURPRISE ATTACK!" she yells at the top of her lungs, her cutlass impaling its back, her gun follows closely behind and moves to the back of its head, just in time the monster pulls to the side and instead of a hole in its head, its ear and part of the side of its cheek is blown straight off. It pulls its arms up in the air and screams, a feral and painful scream of torment, keeks hangs on for dear life, its body convulsing, fresh blackened blood splatters all over the ground as its bones quickly sprout further out of its back, dislodging the cutlass.

Keeks is thrown clear off, its back now a misshapen form of bone spurs elongating everywhere. Its sinew and skin pulled taunt or completely ripped off, it's more bone than beast at this point.

As keeks falls I run past and catch her, she's still holding her sword and commands me like a pirate ship, "Yarrr we need to take this beasty beast down", Im glad shes having fun, even with my blood settings turned down this thing is making me panic a bit, I'm glad its a video game because this shouldn't be possible. It turns around and the thought gets caught in my throat, gods I thought its back was vomit worthy.

Its rib cage has pushed completely out of its body, its organs barely being held in by bone, not only by the expansive mutation but because of the amount of damage the wolves have tried to do. It's hard to tell where the self-inflicted and destroyed parts begin and end.

The worst part is the red glow from where its heart should be, a hardened pulsating stone, pumping as if it's made of flesh, sending the diseased blood throughout its absolutely fucked body. It's protected behind a solid chunk of bone, protecting its core, the red glow fills me with so much fear and absolute hatred.. It feels primal.

Its face has peeled back, as the bones have expanded, its skull and teeth have grown through everything, its eyes pulled so far back it shouldn't be able to see, maybe it only attacks on instinct, or it now has no need for them. Outgrowing its own flesh, what would it become in the end? When it has devoured enough, of itself and others, some necromantic bone creature?..

Zelia has talked about how all creatures will eventually grow a magical core after time, something that can be used for so many things in this world, it's why adventuring is such a lucrative business, but I've never heard of such a thing as this, maybe its post 1.0 release content only??

I try my best to rotate around the beast, taking a swing at it and moving out of its range as much as I can. We have to do something! It's going to tear us and the rest of the wolves apart at this rate and it's only growing stronger! They can't do enough damage to kill it, its weakspot should be its core but at this point, getting into its front and even trying to take a swing is suicide.

Hitting the bones seems to be doing more damage than hitting its flesh, it must have less resistance against blunt force on its bones. A plan is starting to come together but we need a distraction, or a change in situation.

Standing in front of it and out of range, I watch its tongue come out from deep inside its mouth and pierce through its own tooth. It's gotten so overgrown it's not possible to close its mouth fully now. It tries to lick its mouth but all the tongue can do is split in half as it goes back inside. I feel nauseous and close my eyes for a second as I hold my stomach, fuck this horrible monster..

"LIL MOVE NYE!" I regain my mind at the last second but the beast is already towering over me.

I brace for impact and throw my fist as hard as I can into the bone plate that protects its core, at the same time a claw comes out and swipes past me as the bear tumbles over to the side, the force of which throws me back.

------------
< Inflict 27 damage on Mutated Bone Bear (5 Base, Crit, counter, Slugfest) >
<! The goddess see's your refusal to back down !>
< Ability Acquired - Bolster Guard (Uncommon) - Active >

Bolster Guard Level 1 (Uncommon) - Active Ability
Reduce all damage by 20% for 1 second
1 minute cooldown
------------

We Somehow must have gotten too close to the cave as the Elder Wolf body slammed the monster out of the way, accidentally saving my life, its claws dug into my side but I felt with enough pressure it could have split me in two, thankfully it caught on my leather chestplate.

< Mutated Bone Bear deals 36 points of damage after reductions ( Minus 20% damage -Bolster Guard-, 7 slashing defense ) >

My chest feels cracked and I can feel pieces of my flesh have been gouged. Fia's setting changes must have been working cause no blood is flowing from or on my body. I've been hurt badly but I'm still standing, helps me know that this isn't real, just a game.

My heart is beating so hard, on my back recovering my breath, we need to take it down! Get it onto its back, but we cant do it alone, we need some pushing power!

Keeks is still keeping it busy, she's sheathed her cutlass and is focusing on firing at a distance trying to get some damage in.

I can only plead at the Elder Silver Wolf for help, help us to help them "We need to get it onto its back! Need to hold it down while we destroy its core, please moo!!" It stares at me for a few seconds and then snorts, its side bleeding from being impaled when it slammed into the bone monster's side, it tries to straighten up warily and howls commands at the other wolves.

"Keeks regroup!!" They dash around the sides of the beast avoiding its deadly swipe, I can see they've been hit a few times, it doesn't look like much though, most likely hit by rocks and branches that it swiped up in attempts to kill its aggressor.

"Roger Roger, nye!!" They appear back at my side as quick as they can, "What's the plan Moogirl nye??"

"We need it on its back so that we can attack its heart directly, it's too hard to attack it with its reach, we would be decimated in seconds. The wolves are going to help with that, then it's up to us to kill the thing! moo!"

I feel a warmth in my pocket and pull out the coin of nemesis, is this something like the goddesses will?.. Before I can think much further on it the wolves bolt into action, startled I can only put the coin away and get to action.

Keeks and I dash around to the back of its knees as 2 of the wolves also move to its side and try to distract its flailing, going into full defensive mode they avoid its reach as much as possible while snapping at it whenever it's close. 2 more of the wolves attack it from the front, pushing with their front paws, avoiding the spears protruding from its chest.

We nod to each other as we attack the back of its knees, she loads her gun positioning it under the back of its kneecap] and I <coin Flip> Landing on heads, I throw 2 punches, the first one putting a large crack in the protruding bone, the second snapping it completely off, one of the bone spurs also coming off taking sinew and meat with it.

The same time the 2 at the front hit its chest and it tumbles backwards under their force, one of the bones on its side grazes keeks as she tries to dodge out of the way, her right arm is damaged exposing muscles wincing, she downs a quick potion and watches as the skin repairs itself. It slams into the ground, the weight of bone and spines pushing into the ground like tent pegs.

All the wolves get into position, each wolf attacking a limb, trying to distract it from us, the Alpha wolf jumps over it and rips at its head, it can only flail like a turtle on its back, it stops struggling for a moment, not in resignation, but as if it's building up its power for something.

Screaming in utmost agony it starts to glow, a haze of misty blood pulses out from its veins, the silver wolves start being dyed in its color, the disgusting feral black reds, smelling like rotting flesh out in the sun, the bones, they are mutating faster!

"Keeks now quick moo!!" She dashes over its body, and positions itself over its core, "Power shot this you creepy ass bone fucker!" < Charge Shot > Instead of her normal shot a blast of energy expands from the tip of her weapon and we hear cracking, the bone is shattering at its impact.

But its not enough, "Fuckers got goddamn resistance to piercing nye!!" At least she got some damage in, the chestplate has caved partially in but seems to be healing itself. 

"Let me give it one more shot nye!" As she says this one of its paws claws has grown so much with bone that it pierces through the wolf that's grappling its brain and dies trying to hold it down, its body is flung, as it swipes at keeks.

"Keeks dodge moo!" She looks up at me distracted, trying to prepare her next attack and catches the whole body of the Silver Wolf, tumbling over and across the grass clearing. I hope she's alright, at least she didn't take a direct hit from the claw or bones or she'd be sliced Gnoll.

The screaming of the thing amplifies and gets stronger, the mist expanding outwards and the bones grow like vines outwards, trying to protect it. I can only keep dodging through the vines to try to make it to the core, I stumble to my knees as I arrive on its breastplate. Screaming fills my lungs as my leg is seized by a vine and crushed, twisting it so much that my leg detached, presumably to be consumed for its growth.

"FUCKING DIE YOU MONSTER MOO!" I punch down again and again, attacking the protective cover over its heart, as it tries to heal the bone back, the crystal is exposed but I have to keep breaking the bone around it, making a big enough hole, I can only throw my fists as hard as I can, vines piercing into my sides, my health perishing. 

My left arm is snagged and pulled back, only my right arm remains usable, my left vanishing into the vines, detaching as well from my body, into the monstrous maw that can only consume!

Panic comes further from me as my blood spills into the chest cavity. How long have I been in here, cocooned inside its body?.. The vines quickly obscured the light, having no place to escape too. I can only keep throwing my fist at the thing in its chest, over and over, it cracks and shatters and finally.. breaks..

------------
< 14 Damage dealt to evolved Bone Bear (5 Base, Counter, Weak Point, Slugfest)
< 49 Damage dealt to evolved Bone Bear (6 Base, Crit, Counter, Weak Point, Slugfest)>
< 6 Damage dealt to evolved Bone Bear (2 Base, Counter, Weak Point, Slugfest)
------------

The vines stop digging into me.. Is.. is it over?..

{ Bleeding in progress, 2 damage every tick }

---------
{ Evolved Mutated Bone Bear has been defeated }
{ Title: 'Mutated Beginnings' acquired }
{ Calculating boss drops }
{ decreased some drops due to help from outside sources }
{ Increased rarity due to Luck }
{ Increased Drop type Possibilities }
{ Increased drop amount due to level difference }
{ 7400 exp Gained }
{ 7900/3000 Max Exp Gained }
{ Level 7 Achieved }
[ Level Up ] { Please assign your 5 additional status points }
{ 4900/4000 Max Exp Gained }
{ Level 8 Achieved }
[ Level Up ] { Please assign your 5 additional status points }
{ 900/4000 until next level }
---------

< Health, Mana and Stamina restored. >

I might have won.. But I still have to wait for the body to dissipate, and sometimes the system varies, with such a monster like this it might be a bit?.. Gods know..

"Keeeeekkkkkssssss fucking get this shit out of me moo!!!" I plead crying a little into the dark, I hear clawing at the bones around me and the occasional gun shots, then hacking.

"Uhhh sorry hot stuff I think we gotta wait till this shit is gone? You've still got a health potion if you're getting low in there nye!"

{ Health 50/100 }

I materialize the health potion and slam it down my throat with one hand.

{ Health restored by 40 points }

It's nice having some health back, but I can feel my wounds healing around the vines and digging into those areas again giving me some anguish, thankfully my bleeding affliction doesn't increase further.

My health is starting to get low again when suddenly the darkness abates into a blue glow and I fall to the grass, "Fuuccckkk my fucking sides! Never thought I'd be getting penetrated so badly today mooo.." I look up and keeks is grinning, "Dont fucking say a thing you dirty bitch.. Ugh.. moo!" She zips her mouth shut and tries not to laugh.

I look at my chest and see that one of the vines has created a hole through my side and out the front just narrowly missing my heart, damn.. I thought it was close but not that close.. At least it gave me my limbs back! The feeling of them just.. Missing for so long in the dark, like I was in another fucked nightmare.

Damn I should have died from these wounds, I guess avatar bodies really only take the damage they are supposed to.. "Keeeekkksss… please tell me we got some good loot.. moo.." I feel something approaching me and look up into the face of deeaaatthhhh!! or at least a silver puppy, it licks me affectionately on the face and flops down next to my head, exhausted from such a long day of being protected..

"Fia please tell me your taking photos of this cuteneesssss, Zel would kill me if she found out I didn't moo!"

< 58 photos and counting! >

Gods she works fast.. keeks works even faster when there's loot involved, she's off to my right basically rolling in the gold that's dropped from the monster, I can only smile, not wanting to move a muscle, considering they are torn to shreds at this point.

The sounds of keeks playing with coins and the warmth of a puppy next to my face, I take a well deserved nap.

A tiny gruff howl wakes me from my slumber, the warm spot on my face has slowly cooled down, but I've gained another on my right side, a small Gnoll nestles carefully in my right arm. Drool rolling down my fur on my stomach, she's kicking her feet gently, making little grabby actions with her right hand across my stomach, how can someone so horny also be so adorable like a tiny kitten, I can only imagine how cute she is in real life..

I whisper as quietly as I can "Fia.. please tell me you have photos of both of the cuties together moo.."

I get a 'thumbs up' at my console, Fia the photography goddess strikes again.

I check my health, looks like I'm back up to full, the Alpha Wolf has been watching over us this whole time, the least it can do since we helped take down the monster at its front door.

The little puppy is over playing at its feet, nipping at the alphas toes and falling over itself, I sigh and squeeze keeks with my muscle a little bit, she makes a tiny yipping noise and yawns, rubbing her eyes and stretches out, curled up she's small enough to cup perfectly in the nook of my arm.

"Enjoying yourself, tiny one?.." I smile as she just opens a single eye and closes it again.

She mumbles something about her real reward and snuggles deeper into my side, how am I going to move now?!

"Keeks.. keeks? what loot did we get?.." she slaps me on the stomach and a trade request comes through. She shushes me and turns over, pushing her butt into my side instead, her ears folded down. My face flushes red instantly, before I was in awe of her cuteness.. Now with that butt pressed up against my fur.. I struggle to maintain composure.. At least I have a distraction!

I accept the trade and a heap of materials and some items drop into my inventory..

------------
< Mutated Bear Bones x 4 >
< Mutated bear claw >
< Mutated Bear Core >
< Mutated Flesh x 3 >
< Gratitude of the Silver Wolves - Ring >
< Ability Crystal - Bone Control >
< 500g >
------------
On top of all the white wolf material drops I should be able to get some really nice gear from pop's!

------------
< Mutated Bear Core >
Rank E Mutated Beast core
------------
< Gratitude of the Silver Wolves - Ring >
Effects: Dexterity +3
Beings from the Canidae family have 
Increased friendly disposition towards you,
Does not depend on charisma.
------------
< Ability Crystal - Bone Control >
Grants Bone Control Active Ability
Restriction 10 base Intelligence
Restriction 10 base Wisdom
------------

Oh.. and there was that title that we got!

------------
< Mutated Beginnings (Rare ) >
Kill a mutated boss in the starter town
Local Renown +100
Take 10% less damage from mutated creatures.
------------

More stats are sorely needed at this point! The ring is going to be really helpful, and the bonus for Canidae is cute too, it says 'beings' so I wonder if it works on lupine girls.. My thoughts turn to flights of fancy mnn..

A new ability also sounds super cool, but it says it requires 10 intelligence? At least I already have the Wisdom requirement. I'll have to ask Zelia about it, controlling my bones sounds like a super villain ability! The baddest bitch there is! Muhahaha! I lay there giggling to myself trying to be as still as possible, such the badass I am with a kitten on my arm.

A few more minutes, then I'll need to wake this cutie up and get back to town, the day is soon over, but the fun is yet done.

------------
Status Interface
Name: LilMoo
Level: 8
Race: Minotaur
Gender: Female, She/Her
Max Health: 100
Max Mana: 76
Max Stamina: 118

Points remaining: 10
Strength: 11 (12)
Dexterity: 6 (9)
Constitution: 2 (4)
Intelligence: 1
Wisdom: 10 (12)
Charisma: 1
Luck: 50

Equipment
Head: N/A
Neck: Necklace of New Beginnings
Chest: Leather Breastplate
Wrists: Bronze Bracer
Hands: Hide Gloves
Legs: Leather Pants
Feet: N/A
Weapon: Bronze Knuckles
Off-Hand: Bronze Knuckles
Ring 1: Gratitude of the Silver Wolves
Ring 2: N/A

Items
1620g
Coin of Nemesis
Map of Utor
White Wolf skins x 6
White Wolf Claws x 4
Mutated Bear Bones x 4
Mutated bear claw
Mutated Bear Core
Mutated Flesh x 3
Ability Crystal - Bone Control 

Abilities
Passive
Pinnacle of Luck (Unique)
Herald of Nemesis (Unique)
Counter level 1 (Common)
Slugfest level 1 (Common)

Active
Coin Flip (Uncommon)
Bolster Guard Level 1 (Uncommon)
Inspect Level 1 (Common)

Titles
Mutated Beginnings (rare)
------------

If you like what your reading there are usualy 7+ chapters over on patreon if you want to support me <3 As well as extra chapters of my other story Cursed Moon
https://patreon.com/NerdyafCreations
And a Discord if you wanna join in talks about the books and other gay things!
https://discord.gg/uYzrb2uDFb

8