Chapter 34: Blood Ties (2)
188 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Theo pressed his ear against the oak study door. He strained to decipher the snippets of conversation filtering through, his mind yearning to unravel the complexities of the world his father, Duke Magnus Whitlock, navigated. The creak of the heavy door startled him as it swung open, revealing a scene that instantly stole his breath.

"Theo, come in," his father beckoned, a warmth crinkling the corners of his silver eyes.

Theo took a hesitant seat next to his father, placing him directly in front of Queen Eydis. She reclined languidly on a plush sofa, one arm tossed over the backrest, an aura of effortless confidence radiating from her like sunlight shimmering on a calm lake. Gone were the form-fitting suits Theo had seen her in previously; instead, she adorned a black silk gown that spoke of both elegance and a hint of hidden power.

Beside Eydis, Princess Athena sat in an almost painfully upright posture. Her flowing ivory dress, the colour of moonlight, seemed to freeze the air around her. A delicate fan, intricately carved from bone, danced gracefully in her hand, obscuring most of her expression. Where Eydis was a whirlwind of knowing mischief, Athena was a statue of serene stillness. Yet, despite the difference in their demeanors, both women commanded a regal air that drew Theo in.

"My deepest gratitude, Your Majesty, Your Highness," his father spoke, his voice imbued with genuine warmth. "It's a mystery to me how you learned of my son's predicament."

A slow, sly smile curved Eydis' lips as she flickered a glance towards Athena. "Nothing escapes my darling seer's gaze, Duke," she purred. Athena responded with a discreet nudge to Eydis’s side.

"Though perhaps," Eydis continued with a feigned wince, "my seer needs to invest in a pair of spectacles. Seems the future can get a little blurry at times, especially when differentiating between affectionate nudges and full-fledged tackles."

The princess, her fan held aloft like a shield to hide a smile, chuckled. "Perhaps, My Queen," she countered, her voice laced with amusement, "language in front of children is wise."

Eydis's smirk widened. "Last I checked, I haven't spoken of anything indecent…" she drawled, a teasing glint in her eye, "...yet."

Theo's jaw practically hit the floor. This exchange was far more entertaining than any political discussion.

Magnus chuckled, a hint of amusement crinkling the corners of his eyes. He clearly wasn't used to such playful banter between royals. Intrigued by the dynamic between the two women, he launched into a discussion of political intrigue, hoping it wouldn't devolve into another playful (or perhaps not so playful) argument.

Theo perched on the edge of his chair, soaking up every word. As he listened intently, he felt a prickle on his skin and met Eydis' golden gaze. It was a look that seemed to pierce right through him, an assessment that sent a shiver down his spine.

"Perhaps this is a tad too dry for you, Theo," his father suggested, noticing his son's struggle to maintain composure. "Don't hesitate to return to your studies."

Before Theo could voice his protest, Eydis surprised him with a gentle counterpoint. "Leave him, Duke," she interjected, her voice surprisingly soft. "I suspect Theo comprehends more than you realise. A keen mind, indeed."

Theo's heart pounded in his chest, a mixture of trepidation and a strange thrill. "T-Thank you for your kind words, Your Majesty," he stammered, a blush creeping up his neck.

To his surprise, Eydis and Athena would be staying at the palace for a week. Theo couldn't contain a grin. Who would've thought the very creatures his peers feared would be his unlikely saviours? 

Days blurred into one another. Theo found himself drawn to the library. There, he'd often steal glances at Queen Eydis through the window, her regal figure conversing with other vampires in the sun-dappled garden. A pang of something unfamiliar, a complex emotion he couldn't quite define, twisted in his stomach whenever he saw her laughing with a handsome man with warm brown hair and golden eyes - Prince Adrian, whispers informed him.

A voice, like smooth velvet, sent goosebumps erupting from Theo's skin. "Little Lord," Eydis purred from behind him, a hint of amusement dancing in her eyes. "Haven't you learned it's impolite to eavesdrop?"

Theo whipped around, his cheeks flushing red. "Oh no, Your Majesty!" he stammered, a touch too quickly. "I, uh, I didn't mean to listen in on your secret vampire talk!" He held his book up like a shield.

Eydis's lips curved into a knowing smile as she examined the title. "Journey to the West," she mused, her eyes widening a fraction. "An unusual choice for a young scholar like yourself."

Theo beamed, his initial fear forgotten. "Have you read it, Your Majesty? I haven't met many who know about this Chinese classic."

Eydis's smile widened, genuine amusement sparkling in her gaze. "Actually, I have," she admitted. "You seem to possess a depth of knowledge beyond your years."

Theo's grin faltered slightly. He recalled the other children always bragging about their strength and physical prowess, not their literary pursuits. "Is it because I'm a werewolf, Your Majesty?" he asked hesitantly.

“Precisely.” Eydis sat down next to him, her touch warm as she placed a hand on his shoulder. "But it's the curiosity that truly intrigues me, Theo. It's as if you're..." she paused dramatically, "...defying expectations."

Theo pondered her words, a seed of hope blossoming in his chest. "Your Majesty," he ventured, "what are your thoughts on Sun Wukong?"

Eydis's golden eyes seemed to look far away for a moment, a contemplative glint within them. "He's a fascinating character, wouldn't you agree? A constant thorn in the side of authority, always challenging the established order."

"Do you think he's really a good guy? He seems to cause a lot of trouble."

“He certainly makes some… questionable choices," Eydis said, her eyes twinkling. "Makes you wonder, doesn't it? What truly defines a hero?"

Theo frowned. "Is it just about strength and fighting bad guys?"

Eydis brushed her fingers gently across the worn cover of the book. "Many tales paint heroes in a clear-cut light – good versus evil. But what about those who fight for what they believe in, even if their methods are... unconventional?"

"I guess... but what about the people they hurt along the way?" Theo countered thoughtfully.

Eydis ruffled his hair with surprising tenderness, a gesture that sent a warmth coursing through him. "The line between hero and villain can be blurry, Theo," she said softly. "Focus on being the best version of yourself. The answers will reveal themselves in time."

Theo's heart hammered a frantic rhythm against his ribs as he tore his gaze from Eydis. He couldn't decipher the strange mixture of emotions swirling within him – a captivating curiosity, a yearning for something he couldn't quite define.

Years flowed by, and Theo carried Eydis's words with him. He clung to the dream of becoming a hero, a protector of his people, the best version of himself. But fate, it seemed, had a different path in store. That dream, once vibrant and alive, would face a brutal test, a crucible that threatened to extinguish its flame forever.



5