3. Magic? Ok
65 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

There was pulsating energy in the ground and Mai had the same energy within her which could only mean one thing. She was reminded of Xianxia novels where cultivators have a core center, the Dantian, from which qi, an energy flows. She broke into a wide smile and became excited.

She sat down on the grass in lotus position and studied the area carefully once again. There was a green squirrel the size of a raccoon rolling around alone as if performing a dance. The other squirrels ignored it and focused on their own things. Suddenly it stopped and looked directly at Mai who was startled feeling her heart beat faster. The squirrel sprinted towards her at full speed and before she could react it was already at her feet staring intensely at her. Her fingers suddenly glowed in different colors and felt burning hot. She furrowed her brow and instinctively moved her hands slowly towards the squirrel. The fingers became warmer the closer she got to the squirrel. Suddenly the squirrel approached her knee and leaned its head towards her right hand where her fingers touched its large forehead. Its fur was delightful and suddenly she felt her core shoot a warm wave out to her right arm and then to her fingers. It tickled and tingled in her fingertips and colorful waves shot out and covered the squirrel before rushing into its chest. It closed its eyes and Mai withdrew her hand massaging her fingers.

The squirrel suddenly opened its black eyes while green waves shot out from its body and spread in the area. On its forehead a mark of a black flower appeared glowing and then disappearing.

While Mai was still in shock over the events golden dust suddenly appeared in front of her and formed into text.

Congratulations. This being has achieved a breakthrough.

Warning: Your ability can only be used on humans.

Mai stared amazed at the text.

"Why did it work on the squirrel?" she murmured momentarily confused.

"It's best I don't test it. My hand automatically became warm on its own when the squirrel was there. Hopefully it's the same with humans."

She continued her journey through the endless plain hoping to find shelter before nightfall as she still hadn't forgotten how she had arrived here. She could still feel the burning sensation of the cord around her neck and bit her lip.

She remembered another problem and muttered, "I have no money. If this is a game at least start me in a beginner zone where I can scrape together some money. Has Goddess Fortuna cursed me?"

Mai wasn't born lucky so she picked up the pace and began to run slowly while observing her surroundings carefully.

"If I don't find anything I'll have to bury my head in the sand and hope nothing sees me."

She tasted a sour taste and hoped it wouldn't come to that.

As Mai had walked for a long time she observed that the energy sometimes spread before shooting up into the air resembling how insects spread pollen to areas. She had seen a pitch-black Chow Chow the size of a wolf with dark little eyes. It had struck its right paw on a yellow sandy area after which a plant began to sprout slowly and then shot up. It formed buds and bloomed. It turned out to be a giant screaming orange corn. Before the Chow Chow had eaten the corn it had closed its eyes and been silent for a minute as if sending a prayer.

Inspired Mai herself tried to find a piece of land where nothing grew and had touched it. But nothing happened. Afterward she tried to shoot her energy out which had moved to her hand causing some earth to start levitating in front of her. It floated a few centimeters in the air.

Mai furrowed her brow and muttered "How does this work? Is it magic?"

She pondered her words for a moment. The only magic she knew of was mana from computer games but it only existed if there was some kind of source such as mana veins.

As she carefully observed her surroundings again she considered her words. She looked at her hands and her eyes slowly widened.

"So this is really magic?" she exclaimed in a hoarse voice.

She swallowed a large lump of spit and tasted something sour that turned sweet.

She shot energy into her hands and pointed it at the ground shouting, "Fire Ball!"

Nothing happened.

She furrowed her brow and shouted, "Fire Wheel!"

Still nothing happened.

"Okay. That was a quick conclusion. I could get the squirrel to achieve a breakthrough but only make the ground move a little. So it must be the most basic thing one can do."

"According to fantasy rules one must learn spell books before being able to do magic."

Mai stood up, brushed off the dust but as she looked out into the endless plain she felt her heart grow heavy. She broke into a long sigh and felt a stone in her stomach.

"If I really find nothing but this plain I am forced to sleep here."

She felt herself in a very complicated situation. She wasn't afraid of the plane but of what came with it when the sun went down. She bit her lip and began to run along the white path while her heart galloped loudly in her ears. Just give me something. I don't care if it's an evil man who wants to make me a slave.

 

 

 

2