Chapter 5. The Questioning
251 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(General POV)

"I suppose that sums up the basics," Batman noted as the interrogation progressed. "Choosing to keep your real name private is understandable, and a choice I personally respect."

"I'm just not ready for that step yet," Aiden made his reason clear.

"Very well then. We now know that you are the Master of the Mystic Arts and was apparently born today to become the Mystic Ambassador," Batman repeated the answers to the basic part of the interview.

"Really?" Batman looked at Manhunter quizzically. "There is nothing more we could get from him?"

Aiden had permitted the Manhunter to look into his mind to show that he wasn't hiding anything sinister. Meanwhile, Batman had felt that two were better than one and kept Wonder Woman close.

"I'm afraid the only memories in his mind are those of the encounter with Wotan and foreign memories of his knowledge on the mystic arts. Nothing more," Manhunter replied. "His mind has proven that he is indeed what he says — the Master of the Mystic Arts."

"And in case you haven't noticed, he is bound to the Lasso of Truth," Diana made her powers aware.

"What does your title really mean?" Batman inquired further.

"It means that I can learn anything and everything there is to learn about the mystic arts fast, in addition to the Supreme knowledge I already possess," Aiden answered. "It also means that I have a responsibility to protect the world from mystical threats and I am the reasonable candidate for Sorcerer Supreme."

"Like Doctor Fate," Zatara made the connection.

"Tell me, Master of the Mystic Arts," Zatara signaled an inquiry. "Is taking off that ring on your finger the same as when someone dons the Helmet of Fate and the Lord of Order, Nabu, takes over?"

"I don't think he knows what the Helmet of Fate is or who Doctor Fate is," Wonder Woman pointed out the assumption in Zatara's question.

"More or less," Aiden answered, acknowledging that he had understood Zatara's question (not necessarily agreeing to knowing about Nabu). "But I was still myself, only that my thoughts and emotions conflicted for a while, leading to a disharmonious personality."

"Do you think it will happen again?" Batman asked, keeping a keen eye on the ring on Aiden's fingers.

"I-I'm not sure," Aiden replied, reflecting on his internal conflict from before and how it had felt. The decision to kill Wotan had been too abrupt, and had been made in only a matter of seconds. What would really happen if he prolonged that state of full power?

"But it's my first day in this gig, and from what I've seen, I want to take baby steps until I can wield my full power without losing even an ounce of control," Aiden continued. "For now, I'll just keep the Sling Ring on 24/7."

Batman nodded, and Wonder Woman unwound Aiden from the Lasso.

"Zatara," Batman turned to the magician. "Let me take this chance to congratulate you on becoming the newest member of the Justice League."

Turning to Aiden, Batman continued, "I understand your internal struggle was on good, evil, and how Justice should be served." Batman addressed Aiden, looking as relaxed as he could ever look. "So let me take this chance to properly introduce you to us."

"We are part of the Justice League: a group of heroes that fight for the safety of the world we live in," he explained. "Given your power and overall intention, we would consider you to be a valuable asset to our cause."

"However, with your mysticism and age in the picture, we cannot make you an official member of the Justice League," Batman continued.

"But I have a proposition to make," he added. "In exchange for giving you all the resources you require to ease into your true potential while doing good for the world, you could become part of the Covert Ops, directly working under the League."

"Covert Ops?" Wonder Woman looked surprised at the mention of a team she had never heard of. But she wouldn't be surprised if Batman had one already. She would only be more disappointed.

"Our protégés have demanded to be taken as equals, and the feedback from Flash and Aquaman was that they have made a stand. So, we have decided to initiate this team as a way to respect their wishes," Batman elaborated. "Better safe than sorry."

"Sounds more like an elaborate plan to keep them in line," Aiden observed.

"What do you say?" Batman ignored Aiden's statement. "I'm sure we could make the world a safer place if we work together."

But Aiden was aware of the Dark Knight's intentions to keep him close and in check while observing his strengths, weaknesses, and all the analytical stuff he usually did. (He probably has Aiden's blood sample by now.)

However, Aiden couldn't pass up this chance to enjoy the goodness of what it meant to be in DC: working alongside heroes to beat the bad guys and successfully completing missions.

"Bad guys?" Aiden muttered to himself with concern. "Perspective?"

"I'm in," Aiden agreed.

"Only one more thing remains," Batman said. "A mentor is not necessary to be part of the team, but in your case, it's advisable. As such, I nominate Zatara, if he chooses to accept."

"Your background in magic is invaluable for this situation." Batman turned his gaze to Zatara. "I'm sure you two have a lot to discuss."

"I guess it's no harm being a 'protégé' to the man who saved me," Aiden said. "I'm sure I could learn a lot from you."

"Uh- Yes. Certainly," Zatara seemed to be making the decision. "But I'm afraid I must decline. It's tempting to know more about you, but I have fatherly duties to attend to."

"Understandable," Batman and Aiden said simultaneously, each making a slight nod that made Wonder Woman note a troubling resemblance.

"Manhunter." Batman gestured to the Martian, and Manhunter gestured to Aiden.

"This way." Manhunter said to Aiden. "I'll introduce you to the Team. But first... Follow me."

"Hey kid." Wonder Woman called to Aiden as he rose to follow the Manhunter. With a warm smile, she added. "I'll be seeing you around."

---

(Aiden's POV)

I was half-eager to meet the rest of the team officially and begin my new role in the Covert Ops, but there was a lingering apprehension due to the memory of Kid Flash and Boy Wonder laughing at the acronym to my glorious title (MOMA).

However, I was determined to let it slide and start fresh, unwilling to appear petty by holding onto grudges. But besides my elegant title, I knew I needed to come up with a codename that the team would use during operations.

Deciding to keep my real name private, I had a few identities in mind that I believed suited me.

Manhunter was not one to talk much, but as we strolled to a Zeta Tube, he initiated small talk.

Answering my "sincere" question about his green skin, he replied, "I'm from Mars," and demonstrated his ability to change his form. He also revealed that he had psychic abilities and could move things with his mind.

Lost in thoughts about the infinite possibilities for my future, Manhunter brought me back to reality, again.

"Master, I'd like you to meet someone," he said, gesturing towards a young girl with striking green skin and bright red hair. Just looking at her gave me goosebumps as my eyes admired her captivating presence.

From her focused gaze, I could tell she was speaking to Manhunter telepathically.

"She's from Mars too?" I feigned ignorance once again.

"Indeed," he answered as he officially introduced us. "Master, meet my niece, M'gann M'orzz."

"Hi," I smiled calmly, deepening my voice to exude a cool attitude.

"M'gann, this is the Master of the Mystic Arts," Manhunter informed his niece.

"Hello," she said politely, a slight flush of pink coloring her cheeks. "I like your colors. They look-"

"Crash, I know," I finished her sentence, maintaining my cool demeanor. "But thanks."

"Oh," she let out, looking slightly confused.

"M'gann? that's a nice name," I attempted to salvage the rising awkwadness by complimenting her. "It's the perfect name for someone as beautiful as you."

"Thank you," she continued to display her polite nature. "But I was thinking Megan Morse might be a better fit for Earth."

"I like it," I replied. "Again, it matches with how you look. Out-of-this-world beauty."

This time, her blush intensified, making my smile broaden.

"Now that you two have acquainted yourselves," Manhunter intervened, "it's time to introduce you to the team."

"Recognized: Martian Manhunter-07," a computerized voice announced as we stepped into the Zeta tube.

"Don't worry, this doesn't hurt," he assured as the beaming started, ending with our bodies reappearing in another location.

~Prime

Advance Chapters in Patreon if you are interested.

Patreon.com/sorcererprime

7