08B. The water mana globe
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Where are the women?” Jamie asked. Something isn’t right…How did it get three captives? Are the monsters that powerful?

“Pass the shield room. All the way in the back.”

“So they prioritize reproduction over the shield,” Jamie said. “Henry, see how many there are.”

Henry placed his cute chubby hand over both his closed eyes and forehead and drew out a water mana globe from his face. The globe is translucent, has the texture of jelly, and would wiggle if moved too rapidly. The water mana globe was a gift from General Ames, obtained during a recent district conquest. Unlike a normal mana crystal ball, this one could power itself by absorbing mana from living organisms in its immediate surroundings, allowing Henry to operate it. Normal crystal ball mana globes require massive mana, usually from a trainee mage and up, and are impractical on the battlefield. 

Henry, with genuine focus, swept his hand across his mana globe and gazed into what appeared to be intricate webs connecting and bouncing off each other inside the globe.

We're lucky Henry is a prodigy at projecting his mind's eyes to places he's never been," Benny said.

"Benny is also a prodigy in his own right; he can perform flash mind reads, limited to extracting information deemed important to whomever he’s casting his mind’s eye to.

"Eleven without horns. Three horned," Henry said and beckoned Jamie for another berrywort berry.

"He can't give you their precise locations yet," Benny said.

She immediately gave him two berrywort berries and one water-caterpillar, a caterpillar the size of a paper towel roll that stores water. Water-caterpillars are found in riverbed streams, attached to stones. Tickle their butts, and they’ll release their glue-like grip on any stone. The water stored by these creatures has similar characteristics to electrolyte water. They are content with being fed a steady supply of tree leaves and morning dew. One water-caterpillar is enough to produce 5 liters of water a day. It is said that 5 ml is enough to relieve anyone of sun poisoning due to its unique electrolyte and medicinal properties.

“Good job Henry. You too Benny. Now, you two stay here.” The two started to object.

“Henry, you can monitor from here. If anything goes wrong, you must leave this area and hide at our designated location for two more days until the barrier opens.”

Benny opened his mouth to object. “Please, you’ve already helped me a lot. Now, kisses and I’ll be on my way.”

The two kissed her on the cheeks. “Also, make sure you two stay hydrated and out of sight. I should be back in an hour. If I’m not back in two hours, you must start making your way to our trap tree. Set the trap and stay hidden,” Jamie instructed the boys.

“Benny, please open the portal to the shield room,” Jamie asked. Since they're here, I might as well ask for their help.

Despite many speculations, no one knows why males don’t exert nearly as much mana as females when it comes to opening and closing transport portals, while females don’t exert as much mana with casting shields. This is why most defense squads are made of women; however, there are a few exceptional males who can make the cut.

“Wait, take this," Benny said, handing Jamie his District 1 Youth Clone competition 18K gold-plated medallion. "It'll bring you luck.”

“Benny, this is your clone trophy. You never take this off. Even at bath-time.”

“That’s why I want you to have it. You’re scared but you’re still doing this,” Benny said.

She looked at him. Master Edwards was right, Benny must be gifted; no six-year-old is this perceptive and articulate.

Benny raised his hand and opened a portal. Hmm, is this cheating? Forget it! I can't think about that now. I need to conserve as much mana as possible. Just in case.

Jamie looked at the portal and then the boys. I can’t let all my suffering be wasted. All the pain I felt. It’s now or never. 

Jamie recalled Master Edwards' unorthodox training lessons...


The time... Master Edwards sipped his last spoonful of Pho (many Earth cuisines from the 21st century exist in this world), and happened to look over and observed Jamie, who was content with her coffee and flying dragon croissant. The croissant smelled of sweet butter, and her mouth salivated as she ripped off a piece of the dragon’s wings. Her happy smile vanished as she watched Master Edwards transported out of her half-full coffee cup. What is he doing?

He proceeded to stab her right eyeball with a pair of chopsticks.

The whole dining hall cast a defense spell over themselves as Jamie let out a cry of utmost distress while trying to remember the healing spell she was taught a few minutes prior. If she doesn’t hurry, she could lose her eye.

This was the reason why Jamie decided she needed a pocket-size grimoire for such occasions. Even Lisaria was worried for her; right after she wiped Jamie’s blood off her face, she cast a healing spell.

There was also the time Jamie was suffering on the toilet after eating bad spicy Elfin chili. While reaching for some toilet paper, Master Edwards appeared as a demon bear and ripped the skin off her face.


While she no longer felt the pain of being stabbed in the eye multiple times, cut up, or ripped apart, she remembered her lesson; never let your mana guard down. Jamie smiled wearily. It was just awful when he attacked me all the time, but I guess I'm glad he did, or I would've been dead by now. Whatever happens, I must think, for I can always think my way out.

With one foot in the portal, she turned around and mouthed, “DO NOT FOLLOW ME.” And with a determined expression, she was off to face her demons.

Jamie entered the cave with a dagger in hand. She wanted to barf and cover her nose; the cave stinks of rotten human flesh. She forced herself to swallow; now is not the time to throw up. She tapped her right and left temples. Her eyes glowed bright white for a second and then dimmed to a nightlight white. Focus, now… the shields should be…

“Another one so soon,” an oddly handsome voice said. The voice was almost hypnotic. Jamie’s eyes focused on the monster on her right, except that it didn't look like the shapeshifting monster. Before Jamie stood a 6'1 man who resembled General Ames.

“They really must be horny,” said the one on the left, also in an oddly hypnotic voice. Does their transformation ability vary? He looks more like a troll than a man, but with his pale human skin tone, he is clearly trying to appear like a man.

“Yes, probably drip...ping,” said the last one in the small cave chamber. Jamie's body jerked involuntarily. I didn’t sense this monster before it spoke. This one—its voice sounds like what I expect from a monster: low, raspy, and menacing.

The monster resembling General Ames grinned. He had noticed Jamie’s skittishness—another easy capture, he thought.

0