Chapter 4: Complete Incompletion
166 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What you wear is dependant on both choice and circumstances. The environment really changes a person from how they look to what they put on. This simple fact was still open for controversy though.

When under the harsh sun for extended periods of time, people adapt to have skin that can defend from too much ultraviolet rays. Clothes also had to be adapted when the weather was a particular kind.

Pandorica might not have had extreme weather, but it was always dark. The sun was only around for a few hours, but the temperature was somehow still fine. Not in subzero temperatures as one would expect. It made the average skin tone quite pale.

Since they didn't have to adapt to excessive sunlight causing harm to their bodies, they instead had to adapt to a life where days were shorter and nights were longer. The average person sleeping a lot.

What did this have to do with anything?

Well, it transitioned into something.

Some might think this was a weird question, but...

...what meaning does an old European dress have?

Outerwear and underwear had evolved from layers next to a chemise (typically a woman's white shirt-like undergarment or nightdress). Old-fashioned dresses now were becoming more creative.

Aristocracy thrived to show off their wealth and labor force by wearing really impractical dresses. It was to the point wearing talons on their index, middle, and thumb symbolised their status.

Because they were showing off their comforts. That they didn't even need to use their hands since they had servants. Those who were loyally caring for them. Taking care of even the most basic needs.

This meant that though they had the technology for easier worn dresses, they CHOSE to make it difficult to put on. They had no need for independently putting it on themselves. It was their decision.

Thus, things had advanced in a strange way.

Marvels made up of several layers that needed a team of servants to expertly take off and put on. It was a sign of high status. So how would these nobles adapt when they were introduced with easier alternatives from Earth? Would they see the light?

Realise it was pointless to strut like peacocks?

Embrace comfort and do away with their 'layers'?

Hardly...

People stayed the same.

Even though Pandorica had multiple chances to change, a society that knew no failure wouldn't dare to stray far from the familiar. Life wouldn't be the same if clothes were suddenly convenient to wear.

It was the same thought with technology.

The introduction to the futuristic information tool known as 'Psynet' was groundbreaking. It was met with fear and horror from those in power. After all, a commoner with knowledge was far too dangerous!

Many aristocrats claimed that commoners would use it for unsavoury means to harm the nation. These claims still being subject to debate. Of course, only among those with power could discuss this issue.

Because why would filthy, uneducated peasants have a right to decide what goes on in their lives? Their prejudice was clear, and even the kindest noble knew they shouldn't upset the balance of hierarchy.

The result was Psynet became an exclusive property of those who were 'worthy' of having it. The benefits given exclusively to nobles. A way to demonstrate how amazing they were than mere commoners.

Now, this point all goes back to one thing: 

...How was online gaming in the Pandorica Nation?

If you put together that only the wealthy could afford digital entertainment and Psynet, it lead to a revolutionary advancement in entertainment. The products having to match what the market wanted.

"Ha! You fight like a girl!" Adam shamelessly roared towards one of the few females of the player base. He was in 'Online First-Person Shooter' Mode. The only difference was that this game wasn't solely a game that tested your marksmanship. It was virtual battle.

"And you play like a jackass." Despite being a respected princess herself, Anita Pandorica cursed back. The only reason she lost a round to him was because this guy made full use of the controls.

Both of them unaware of the other's identity.

"You're just a dud. How are you so good at virtual group wars?" Anita's voice came out of the character for a while. It was unfitting for the name of 'Mage Princess'. Her game avatar looked exactly like how she did in real life, but she didn't care whatsoever.

The only differences being a more casual wear.

Clueing him in that she was open about this hobby.

She held a pitch black grimoire that contained many secrets, and had her family's signature hair. Truly, a remarkable player amongst aristocrats. Though that didn't change that 'No Lifers' like him had pride.

They could not lose to social butterflies. NEVER!

"Have you considered that you're just bad at this game?" Adam pretended like he'd heard nothing. It was trash talk, but that was what made gaming so much fun. Competing with people for respect.

"I've been playing this game for years, but this was the first time I've seen someone move so freely..." A strong desire for battle arose within her. She now started to wonder which commoner was this strong.

"Maybe I have a good gaming chair." Adam taunted.

"Is this the wisdom of an ascender? I'm sure playing this game must be hard with your status." Anita tried to rile him. Unaware that he didn't have any sort of inferiority complex towards nobility and the like.

"What's wrong with my status?" He played her game.

"...Nothing." After realising that she had spoken too much, a quite realistic expression appeared on Anita's avatar face. Her blurry features in the virtual reality became much more clearer for a moment.

It was a black-haired pretty princess.

"If you want to hide something, then at least let go of your controller... and don't make me so curious about it." Adam narrowed his eyes while trying to look calm. The deep connection that magic operated controllers had with players was unprecedented.

"My bad." Anita respected rules of gaming.

"So you were saying?" Adam changed the subject.

"I was just thinking about how you're even allowed here. Only aristocrats should be able to play these servers." Anita tested the waters. It was either her first time meeting a hacker, or she didn't believe it.

Thinking he was a noble with strange tastes.

"As an owner of territory, you have no choice but to recognise my greatness. So what if I'm killed inside a game? It won't kill anyone." In fact, Adam was happy he got to experience many things because of everyone's pettiness. Fighting near hundred battles.

He learned of how magic type Classes fought and how fighter types struggled when out of range. The kind of unfair tactics people used to squeeze out a win. Even if doing so wouldn't earn any respect.

Because winners were respected more than losers.

Even though this wasn't virtual reality, the amount of freedom the controller gave of the in-game avatar was near identical. In fact, there were things a FPS (First-Person Shooter) avatar could do that a VR avatar couldn't. Without needing to do acrobatics.

Mimicking whatever the user intended made this the most fun experience Adam ever had gaming. Even if the characters were completely unfair... People could only customise their appearance or use 'items'.

"You're a sturdy one." Anita judged his strength.

"Wouldn't a complete 'dud' have to be?" Adam spoke about himself like this to let her off. No matter how many times he was called a dud by others, he himself would never feel like he was missing anything. 

This was simply his life.

"I thought you didn't like being called that." She held him to those double standards. Getting more familiar with his online persona and ready to share her phone number. Even if it was just her playing.

She wanted to know more about this unique player.

"It's fine if I'm saying it about myself." Adam didn't look embarrassed. He learnt from his talk with Gaia that it was better to be shameless. That way he'd be able to keep his pride even when fumbling over his words. It was a childish act, but that was fine.

This was just a game, after all.

"Double standards..." Anita rolled her eyes. Finding how he'd beaten her to be against all protocol. It was essentially unjust. Didn't he have any honour? There were chivalric codes to be followed when in a duel.

"Says you? Isn't it practically cheating for you to be using all your skill as a 'Mage Princess' in this place?" He let her know that he was onto her nonsense. That her identity was already found out.

 "What? It's fine to use the skills I've cultivated. It's a lot different from a coward who wickedly set up an ambush." Anita was beat red. Her skills were a legitimate form of battle. Ambushing wasn't a skill.

It was... just wrong.

"You make it sound like there's fairness on the battlefield." Adam didn't understand her logic. Since when did invisible rules apply to fighting games like this? Shouldn't she have the grace to say 'good game'? It was foolish to expect to win using chivalry.

In truth, the reason they were even arguing was because he DID come up from behind to smash a rock into her skull. No one could criticise his decision in a tactical viewpoint. So what was this?

Wasn't it just a game?

"Malignant scum... Anyway, why approach me in this chat lobby after doing that? To brag? Or... you must have something to say." Anita was frustrated about it, but she had the decency to hear him out.

A mix of intrigue and annoyance in her eyes.

"..." Seeing the way her eyes changed from casual to serious, Adam felt like a bone was in his throat. He could hardly shake this unnerving feeling... His eyes glanced out a nearby window to see the massive figure in the distance. A gigantic statue.

This game lobby wasn't a grey dimension like Gaia's place. The environment had been personalised so thoroughly. It was hard to make out what it was, but the fact that you could see it from anywhere was...

...to put it mildly: Breathtaking.

At first, he was fine with thinking that this game was pretty gnarly and interesting. A good escape for time. He never expected that a game world would be able to possess such realistic details WITHIN a game world. Was this some sort of inception plot?

Adam looked at the unrecognisable statue blurred by clouds in the east, look at the big tree that reached to the sky in the west. The weather must've been janky because the enormous shadows those two created.

Thus, he ended up ignoring it for a good while.

It was just another attraction in this strange world.

"Nothing to be curious about." He thought while chuckling at the time. Yeah, it was just that. Nothing special. Nothing to be curious about. He had a feeling that no one would tell him anything anyway. 

This world lacked 'stories'.

But somehow, he was still being intrigued.

It was almost as if Royalty were averse to speculation and theory crafting. Was that all there was to it though? Seeing how Anita seemed to create this lobby with knowledge outside his own, he expected there to be some gains from talking to her.

Unanswered questions were just piling in his head.

There was no talk of giant statues or trees when he played 'The Villainess Against Fate'. Not even in concept art. These two landmarks were missing in that game. They were hidden by the clouds.

Why...?

Now was a good time to sate his curiosity. 

There had to be SOMETHING up. 

Right? Right...?

There was no need to hesitate any longer. He'd only get what he wanted by taking action himself. Even without a microphone, Adam leaned in towards the screen and asked with a disturbed expression:

 "What's the great secret hidden in the east and the west?" Adam didn't shy away from the typic. These words caused all emotions to fade from the girl's face after hearing him. Coldness covered her expression.

Anita looked at Adam before replying:

"Yeah, you duds always ask that question."

"And what do you always answer back?"

"Does it really matter?"

"..." Adam was silenced when she put her finger above her lips straight after. Telling him to keep quiet. Her face got closer to his first person camera on his screen. Somehow, he felt her act invasive. 

He started to get uncomfortable by the distance.

It was then Anita had spoken sinisterly:

"If you want to keep your peaceful life, it's better to not get involved with the outside world at all." The world outside the Pandorica Nation. Despite the rumours he heard, it looked like this wasn't simple.

"But that'd be boring." Adam rebelled against this.

He wasn't one to follow along mindlessly.

"Even if it does, get invested in business or try making something of yourself. Entertain yourself and you won't be bored. If you are playing games too much, then find a new hobby." Anita sounded like an adult, but there was an open agenda clear to see.

Telling him to distract himself from the truth.

"I know you're a princess who could get me done in for this... but I'm gonna say: You're one to talk." The whole reason they were able to talk was due to her obsession with VR gaming. This particular form of virtual fighting that extended senses to avatars.

"You're right. I play games because here is the only place status doesn't matter. Even though everyone on this server has a different status, they put things aside for the sake of a 'fun' atmosphere." Anita had admitted this. There were more than nobles here.

It was due to corruption and nepotism.

"I never knew it took so much effort."

Anita took this chance to ask him:

"Are you interested about it?"

"No, but it's something I didn't know before. So it looks like you made 'equality'  a thing in this virtual world." Adam was recording this in his head. Adding the situation to the wealth of knowledge collected.

Maybe later, this will have some use.

"Hardly... This place is also good for get-togethers that would be hard in reality and secret meet-ups of lovers, and..." Anita moved closer to him. Her hand touched his cheek, and he had a great reaction.

His eyes looked down to see his boner popped up. It was the connection between him and the avatar due to the controller. A sexual touch from her seemed way too realistic. The sensation was just insane.

"This seems really dangerous." Adam's face had started to redden. He realised the avatar had experienced the same bodily reaction. She had stroked him down to his waist so naturally.

Looking like a predator.

"If you don't like it, just let go of the controls. You want to share a 'secret' with me?" Anita boldly seduced him. His avatar was altered to be a more handsome face than reality, so she was interested.

It was nothing personal,

"Do you just want me to shut up?" Adam retreated.

"So you understand well." Anita stopped in her tracks. Not approaching him any further. That strong predatory feeling vanished. Leaving only a playful princess who abided by twisted values.

"So there's an underside to this too." He didn't know why he felt a bit disappointed by that feeling. The realisation that humans 'made' these peculiar social norms, and that his avatar was nearly assaulted.

"Anyway, don't talk about the east and west. No one wants to be curious about those things." It didn't seem like she was just saying this. Anita was definitely warning him about digging too deeply.

"Fine. I won't ask anymore."

"I'm glad you're easy to talk to." She laughed.

"Anyway... Do you want to play together some more?" Adam reached out on a pure gaming basis anyway. The subject about the environment in this lobby could be put aside. It wasn't that important.

"I'm sorry... You're going to have to ask another."

"Didn't you want to socialise on here?"

"With those of similar age and status, yeah." Anita's brutal honesty threw him of his game. Adam found what she said before hypocritical. Though he could imagine what she meant. It was all about benefits.

What was the point in socialising with a commoner?

Rather than managing countless tea parties among noblewomen, doing it online was much easier. The virtual world was easy to navigate. You could easily find places to fight or lobbies to talk to people.

The online community of aristocrats was something. 

Was this revolutionising data warfare?

Now that phones came into existence and nobles were able to communicate with greater ease, it was obvious how things would go. There must be a internal war going on that commoners didn't know.

Faction conflicts that switched from open to discreet. Being displayed in terms of propaganda. So basically... it was just like the political climate on Earth. Politicians doing whatever they wanted.

When he saw it like that, the 'magic' was gone.

Things seemed a lot more superficial, but the danger of it entrenching in his life became real. There was no way out once your toes were dipped. It was either the high road or low tunnel. One or the other.

Stick out like a nail, and you'll be hammered down for merely 'intruding' in their deep-rooted conflict between factions. This made Adam annoyed. If only true anonymous accounts were a thing. Then he could say he was an eighteen year old girl instead.

Instead of having to use tricks to hide his identity:

Would that be creepy? Yes, but he'd get more of a social life online if he wasn't being his usual self on it. Wasn't that the point of online social media? A form of escapism? At least, that's how he saw it.

"I feel so bored..." Adam moaned about it.

"Then ask a friend to play with you." Anita scoffed.

"But I don't have any." Adam tried to look pitiful.

"That's nice. I'm leaving." She met him with apathy.

"W-wait!" Adam stopped her before she ended the online meeting they had. Ending things like this wasn't his style. However, that didn't mean his 'style' was cool. There was just more to it than that.

Adam had been feeling lost for a while now. There was no family in his life, nor a family he could rely on. That's why making even a slight connection with the third child of the nation's king would be good.

Thus, he shamelessly fully knelt his game avatar.

"Can you keep me as a friend out of pity?" Hearing him say these pitiful words made Anita facepalm heavily. It was unlike her to be moved by such a bad act. She sighed through her fingers and responded:

"...Just don't act like you know me if we ever meet in real life. Also, never break this faith I'm having in you. Either we talk here or not at all." Anita was drawing the line after looking at his tearjerker act.

"Alright, then... See ya." Adam waved and watched her log out. A new 'friend' was added to the online list. He didn't feel lonely in front of these profile pictures with voices and outgoing personalities.

Online, everyone was honest about their feelings.

It was to the point that he could become addicted to gaming and forever sink inside entertainment. This was his life. However, that wouldn't change that reality was real. That the east and west needed addressing. Even if they likely wouldn't benefit him.

He was too curious.

Why the heck was the world like this?!

That curiosity within him also started to stretch towards the Arcadia Family. It was a hard decision initially. He'd heard about how a wicked and evil villainess died after being driven out of the country. 

So how about asking around to get a clear picture?

No. That action wouldn't be good. If he did so, then he'd be getting himself in trouble with unknown forces for no reason. There wasn't a point to doing that. He was content with his life how it was...

"Right... They say that curiosity killed the cat." He thought about it and tried to convince himself that everything was okay. As long as he didn't go out spreading knowledge, then who would bother him?

Adam tried getting back to playing games.

But somehow, the anxiety that was holding him wouldn't let him focus solely on having fun. His unfocused eyes kept on going between the outside world... and the virtual game world before him.

This familiar feeling was happening again.

He knew that he had to make a choice. Either to forget his curiosity, or secretly pursue the truth of Gaia. After all, it wasn't a crime if no one saw what he did- Ahem... No, it was better to not act with guilt.

So... should he do it or not?

His cursor hovered above the familiar name in the player community list. Hanging like a drawn sword above it. It was either satisfying curiosity... or his private life. Was he ready to throw away his dreams?

"Wait... Why am I making a big deal out of this?" He thought, then suddenly realised something in the midst of all this. Couldn't he run away if things got too tough? What was the big deal. He was an immortal now. Everything should be easy now.

Every time he thought about how he still had Skill he could wish from Gaia, and his own immortality, his confidence had soared. Enough to make him brave enough to want to take on this fantasy world.

Adam was sure even royalty would forgive him just this once if he stumbled on anything annoying.

Thus, the decision was made and profile clicked.

2