Chapter 17: The Abandoned
39 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was a time of rebellion in an unknown Mortal Realm. A time that legends were born. There existed a single youth who felt like he was on top of the world. Feeling great to be alive. Thankful for the years he'd matured to get to this very date.

It was actually his birthday, after all.

"Shane, time to blow out the candles." His ordinary mother gave a loving smile. A sugary cake was presented. For a kid like him, this was one of the most memorable moments in his entire life.

The black-haired boy squinted his azure eyes while blowing out the candles. A smile bloomed on his face after seeing his family's joy. Shane's father and little sister joining in to congratulate him earnestly.

Small happy moments like this were what made a person feel whole. It was what kept people together even in the hardest of times. Even when the future brought struggles and tragedy, he could fight it all.

There was only one problem nagging at him...

His mother reacted to an invisible presence within the shadows of their home, then started to walk in that direction. Her eyes different from the way they were before. Seeing how she was leaving without a word, Shane's father coughed to catch her attention:

"...It's our son's birthday today. Maybe-"

"I just got shadow messages by our fellow comrades in need. Many of our Lord's believers have fell." She knew this wasn't the right time, but there was nothing she could do about her responsibilities.

"That's..." Her husband knew it too.

"We're both needed now. Otherwise, our friends and neighbours will be wiped out by those... 'heroes'." A look of disgust appeared in her eyes. Not wanting to call villains something that validated their claims.

They WERE NOT the forces of darkness.

All the 'demons' ever wanted to do was be free. They never attacked regular people and stayed far from those that tried enslaving them. They never wanted to be sold as commodities by humanity any longer.

However, the heroes attacked them.

"..." Her words made the husband hold his silence.

"You have to come too. What's a religious group without their pope? Now, put on your mask." The father looked at his two children and their black clothes embroidered with dragon markings.

His eyes holding many apologies to them.

A mask connected to his shoulder was put on his face. He then revealed a certain majestic air. Of course, the pope of the Dragon Cult, also known as the 'Shadow Overlord', would hold such esteem.

It wasn't like there was anyone else who could go against those dreadful 'Heroes' than himself. His wife, Dorothy, left first... but he followed a little late after Shane caught the man by the sleeve.

The eyes the boy gave begged his father to stay.

That his birthday party wasn't over yet...

"Sorry, I have to go." The masked overlord placated his child. Keeping his talon gloves away. The red faced child didn't let go. How could his parents leave like this? And for what reason? It simply wasn't fair.

"You... You don't have to!" The little boy cried.

"Shane..." His father called out.

"Dad, isn't what we do wrong anyway? You know this is wrong? Fighting them... Killing people..." The once peaceful protestors became revolutionaries. A heart of protest had ignited into a spark of rebellion.

"Enough." His father argued no further about this.

"No, don't say that to me. Do you think I'm part of this? We are a CULT!" Shane tried to argue, but his father quickly covered his mouth. Fear etched in his heart as he looked around if anyone heard his son.

"...Don't say that in front of your mother. This is our religion now. You can't escape from this, even if you w-" The sound of someone returning made them both startled. Looking where the wife had left from.

Only to have their attention grabbed by another.

"Daddy?" Madeleine, the young girl sitting between them, called out. Her eyes unable to understand why they were arguing like this. She spoke in an innocent tone: "Are the big baddies bullying us again?"

These words made the pupils of both father and son constrict, then look towards the door they were collectively sure her mother was standing behind. As if not knowing they could tell she was there.

The scariest part was that...

...they couldn't bring themselves to correct her.

No, did that statement even need correcting?

This was between them.

The honourable Overlord of the Dragon Cult was obviously on the side of all that was righteous. At the very least, his wife wouldn't judge their daughter when she finally went out into the world.

There wasn't a need for anything to change. They could go about their lives on their own terms. They did nothing wrong. He could swear if the World Dragon's name that his heart never strayed.

Still, why did her words prick at his conscience?

And why did the look made by his son hurt?

That untainted look of innocence on his daughter's face hurt him more than any blade ever could. Much more than the blame his son always gave. With a heavy heart, the father held his skull mask and sighed with agony... like someone who was dying.

A razor was cutting his emotions.

He made a decision to say what he shouldn't.

"Recently, we kidnapped a bright young researcher in mystic bioengineering. At least, that's what she calls it." The father spoke to his son honestly. The situation was a little different from imagination.

"..." Shane's eyes started to widen slowly when he realised why his father went onto this tangent. He was unsure what brought on his honesty. It was to the point he'd hardly believe what he was hearing.

"It'd be a shame if she escaped. That woman is good enough to evade us without even trying." The father seemed engulfed in his own difficulties. To the point he wasn't able to see the emotions on his son's face.

"Dad..." Shane tried to interrupt.

"I never told you anything. So try enjoying your birthday." The father knew his son would have to at least 'try'. These were the last words the son had ever heard from his father. The last memory of him.

That day, Shane made a decision himself. He was unable to continue associating himself with their anarchist parents. He might love them, but he cared about his little sister's future much more than that.

It was on that day he ran away from home.

The young boy couldn't run fast enough. 

His breath was rugged after using up his stamina.

Even though it was just a short distance.

His sister being the only one fine with everything.

Not only was she a lot healthier than him, but she also found running from home a sort of adventure in itself. One that she could always return from. It was until a certain point that he and his sister got separated. This being something he chose himself.

Shane had purposefully acted as a decoy.

Choosing to draw attention away from Madeleine.

He stumbled through life trying to find work despite his young age, and had a stroke of fortune. Though that lucky opportunity didn't last long... Despite all he'd done to keep up with others in the cult, his lack of talent in every areas... made it hard to even live.

He was kicked out of his job as a servant easily.

It was only at the lowest moment of his life that he met one bright star. A man who had created his own legend. Enough that there was no one who didn't know his name. Not knowing what this man thought.

The hero looked at them with radiant eyes.

"You seem down on your luck. Want help?" The younger and more optimistic Simon gave him assistance free of charged. That question followed by an extended hand. One that was simply innocent.

Shane immediately held onto him. Even if it meant living a life many times harder than others. He had learnt a lot from the young man. Growing with him every step of the way, until he rivalled Heroes.

And this wasn't just in his original world.

Simon and his gang even had ways of traversing Lower Realms and helping people elsewhere. Their adventures not limited by time and space. The frail young heir to the title of the Shadow Overlord had gradually grow into an expert swordsman over time.

He'd even found a purpose he was willing to forgo everything for. He was willing to stay on a particular Lower Realm to protect a race of humans heavily discriminated as 'Beastkin'. It was his selfish wish.

One that he had upheld for two years.

The relations between Humans and Beastkin hadn't gone so bad that it'd turn into a war yet. He was not worried. It was when he reached his fifteenth birthday that Shane saw his savour once again.

...Along with other students he'd never heard of.

The happiness of their reunion was short-lived when he realised Simon was no longer 'young' at heart anymore. His hair was grey. Those dull eyes were always murky, and the old geezer wouldn't let go of his bottle of booze no matter the circumstances.

The total opposite of the man he used to be.

On top of that, Simon had even forgotten he existed!

Shane wasn't sure how long it took for his bright saviour to turn into a useless old drunkard, but it hurt him deeply either way. The fact that nothing could be done to help him was his biggest regret.

A part of him wished he'd stayed with the man.

His saviour...

He wanted to know what turned someone who was so filled with optimism into... THIS. How he turned into such a mess. Those emotions were mixed by the fact that Shane felt abandoned over the years.

Especially since the drunkard never visited him.

After all, Simon was practically a galactic ranger at that point. He could go one second and arrive the next. The years spent adventuring in-between would be something his master could tell him in stories.

But that kind of future never came to be.

Simon had changed completely.

This was a story Shane told his closest friend when asked about why he looked so weird. Why he couldn't trust his master's words easily. Within the imperial palace in the nation of Pandorica...

That friend Shane had looked at him speechlessly.

Then finally made a comment after a long silence:

"...Woah. I know I'm the one who asked, but was it that important to go into excruciating detail?" King Ramos almost felt like Shane had been waiting to tell someone about his. His raw and sincere feelings.

"Tch... Heartless bastard..." Shane clicked his tongue at this reaction. He'd spilled out his heart, yet this was how Ramos was going to react to it? He'd never told this story to anyone else. This was his first time opening up about his mixed feelings to another.

After Shane found his master again when he ascended to the Divine Realm, he wasn't happy one bit. The feelings of betrayal still lingered... On top of that, Simon forgot who he was a second time. 

Almost as if centuries passed unknowingly.

From what Shane knew, that was likely the case.

Realms had differing scales.

Though it still made him feel bitter inside...

And not only that, that old drunkard suddenly came along with another disciple not too long after. Was it fate for them not to get along...? Seeing the furious on Shane's face, King Ramos decided that it was better to just acknowledge his feelings for them.

"Alright, alright... I get why you feel a mixed bag of emotions when it comes your 'Master'." Ramos did not comment further. He waited for Shane to get it out of his system. Not suppress it back into his heart.

"Forget me. Have you thought about whether you're actually sacrificing one of your sisters?" Shane did not take the chance to vent given. A deadly silence enveloped him and nation's ruthless ruler. 

The matter brought up was vital.

Of course, King Ramos was deliberating on whether he should marry off a sister of his so willingly. He knew that any of his younger siblings wouldn't hesitate to do what he asked of them. No exception.

But that's exactly what hurt his conscience...

Although everything he did was for the sake of Pandorica seeing a good future, he couldn't hurt them. His heart of a brother was stronger than the mentality of a ruler. That's what made him hesitant.

On the other hand, Shane was thinking of something else while looking down on his blade. Memories of a time he was more innocent arose in his head. How his heart died when he gave up hope on his sister.

His hand stroked the side of the chokutō.

"You sure this is right? I'm not saying you're lying or anything, but is 'Divinity' common?" Towards this predictable response from Ramos, the sword user stopped looking at his blade and shook his head.

His mask hiding the mixed feelings in his heart.

"This is the first time I've come across another person with 'Divinity', at least... My master is recommending him, so his potential is probably high." Shane said without revealing his emotions.

However, Ramos picked up that his feelings were complicated regarding this 'Master'. Moreover, it seemed like he was making light of the value of Adam's powers. That guy was perfect for an alliance.

As long as Adam's children inherited his land, that area of the Royal Capitol will be returned to imperial family. Now that talk of Divinity came out, Adam's  bloodline became even more worthy of his attention.

"Is there something wrong?" Ramos spoke in worry.

"...Nothing." Shane turned his head away from him.

"We're practically brothers. Maybe even as close as blood relatives at this point. You can complain freely." Ramos waved to disperse whatever was stressing him. He didn't like this atmosphere.

"..." Shane put away his blade while unconsciously touching a tiny scar under his hair. Right on top of the single bull horn on his left side. His hand then flowed down his ear while thinking of the past. 

Clenching his fist tight, Shane took that offer:

"That guy... isn't trustworthy." These words made the king start to stand from where he sat. There was no need to distrust this information. He trusted that this source wasn't out of personal resentment.

"Does that mean his new student is dangerous?"

"Not that... I wouldn't have recommended him if he was suspicious. It's not like I'd harm the people you love." Shane didn't want a misunderstanding. He was not trying to say any misguiding information.

"Then what?" Ramos didn't let him off.

The slick swordsman chose his words wisely:

"Not to shoot myself in the foot or anything, but the people my master usually takes interest in are usually... weird." Shane himself felt embarrassed to be categorised in the same breath as them.

"That IS shooting yourself in the foot- Okay, forget I said anything." Ramos started to sweat after the reaction he got. His friend was easily embarrassed despite how he looked. Having quite the temper.

Shane didn't hesitate to unsheathe his sword threateningly. It made the Ramos shut up... but he quickly got himself together and withdrew his intimidating demeanour. Then coughed a little.

Shane spoke in serenity after clearing his throat:

"I'm concerned about that guy's Gift as well."

"That ascender's Gift? Didn't you say it was useless?"

Was there a need for Ramos to worry about that?

"Not useless. Just yet to be properly handled. A bit of training, and we will be able to see its limits." Shane did not look down on his master's eyes. He was sure this 'Adam Graham' had talents he didn't know of.

"And what if we do? Is it a problem?" Ramos spoke.

"The problem isn't that... I'll tell you more about it when I've confirmed some things with him." Shane did not elaborate. Choosing to close the door to this subject without trying to open a new one in its stead.

He was about to walk away at that moment, but...

"That's fine with me. Anyway... I remember something from that story you told me." Ramos smiled with nostalgia. Shane tilted his head when Ramos dived into a few documents next to him. 

This was straight after talking to him.

Before long, the king pulled out a photo and said:

"This was taken a while ago at the Arcadia Household. Sounds like someone you know." Ramos gave a cunning smile. Shane immediately recognised the face of the person in the photo. It made him look pensive. He recognised the face of a certain person.

"..." Shane didn't dare ask if he could go check. In the current political climate, it wasn't really good staying away from his contractor's side. If anything was to happen to the king in the meantime, then...

"Don't worry. No one can do anything to me when my family is here. I'll tell my brothers to stay close this time ." Ramos seemed carefree despite being in the most important position of power currently.

"...Thanks." Shane lowered his head.

"Just go. You're wasting time, aren't you?" These words were responded by a bow, then... he vanished from the spot he was standing. His goal to immediately find out if 'that woman' was there.

He didn't know that his one action would cause a stir that would nearly put the nation into chaos.

The moonlit night was about to be disturbed...

1