I can explain
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Link woke up in a dimly lit cell; the walls were solid steel, and the floor sent a shiver up his spine. The bars that held him captive were also made of steel. He tried to break free, but the bars remained stubbornly in place. Link searched the room for any means of escape, only to realize that he was in a factory.

Only those who couldn't afford to give money to the capital and New York were sent to these factories. Their jobs used to be done by robots, from mining to harvesting and various other tasks. Unfortunately, those robots ceased functioning ten years after World War 5. They had caused significant damage to radio towers and depleted the resources needed to maintain them. Only New York still had the authority to use radio signals.

Link pondered why he was locked up in a cell. Was it because of the incident at the barn? No, that was self-defense. Could it have been that girl from earlier? No, she didn't seem influential enough. Then how did he end up here?

Suddenly, the door creaked open, and Bishop Samson entered with Adonis, who was carrying Cain in her arms.

Link questioned, "Why am I being held here, Bishop?" The bishop responded with a smirk, exchanged a glance with Adonis, and left the room. As the door closed, Link shouted, "Alright, witch, what do you want from me?"

She covered her face and replied, "Why are you so loud? I just wanted to ensure that you fulfill your promise."

Link gripped the bars tightly. "You're a Castor too, why don't you teach him?" 

"For reasons, I can't," she said. What is this strange person talking about? Link rubbed his temples and looked at Cain. "Fine, and once I'm done, they'll release me, right?" Adonis nodded.

Link let out a sigh. "Hey kid, you're awake?" Cain slowly opened his eyes and moved away from his mother. "Listen carefully. All of us here are Castors. Out of 10,000 people, only a few became Castor. What sets us apart from the normiees are two things: our ability to create dark marks (we call them Tattoos) and place those marks on any inanimate objects. I'll explain more on that later."

Link placed a tattoo on the bars. "As you can see, one of my ten marks has transferred to this bar..."

A small breeze formed around the mark. "We can only use Castor abilities from the marks we put down. These abilities are usually based on a simple concept. Like mine being wind and your psycho mom's lightning," Adonis pretended to be hurt. "Not all abilities are equal. With one mark, I can create a little whirlwind, but it takes at least 3 to generate a spark for your mom. It's all about balance. A broken ability needs handicaps."

Lin adds 7 more marks to the bars. "Here's the exciting part. The more marks you place, the stronger the effect. Watch." Objects start moving towards the bars as a Cyclone pulls everything Adonis and Cain held onto. "We've got the point," Lin grinned, releasing his spell. Adonis and Cain fell to the floor. Adonis groaned, but Cain simply smiled.

"And finally, you can't place a tattoo on living things. Bishop Samson is an exception, but it's practically impossible. Can I leave now?" Adonis coughed, and Link continued, "You can also give commands to your marks. 'If a cloth or human comes into contact with this mark, a small typhoon will push them away.'" As just explained, Links hands and sleeves where gently pushed away as he go close to his mark, "They're remote, so you can control retract them from a distance. That should cover everything. Now, let me out."

Adonis whispered to Cain, who then reached for her neck where the tattoo sat. Cain touched it, and it crumbled into his hands. Adonis sighed, "Finally. You have no idea how painful that was." She hugged Cain. "My son placed this mark on me. He controlled his 'speech,' making me unable to speak properly. It's a mix of words and emotions."

"Okay Adonis. Now let me go."

"Oh yeah. Adonis isn't my name. I'm Isabella, but my child's name is still Cain. I'm expecting a new baby." She mentions while unlocking Link's cell. "You're going to name the newborn Abel, right?" Link ask." Of course." Isabella confirms. As Link steps out of the cell, he briefly considers fighting her again but dismisses the idea. "Anyway, how did you manage to convince Bishop Mason to bring me here?" "Oh, he considers me and another women to be very special."

You are definitely a special person. Link realizes something. It wasn't just about his missing laptop, but the significance of Samson's fascination with Isabella—how her offspring could be the key to something important. Something important to him.

0