Chapter 22: Den of the Pride
22 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

XJ-V strode purposefully across the great courtyard of Ramor-Tai, intent on reaching the Tiger Sect’s commune.

Those Disciples who saw the machine dared not approach him, knowing that a raging dragon should not be impeded unless one wished to be burned.

Only one being dared to approach the determined form of the metal man.

Her name was Arha.

“XJ-V!” the little fox-spirit called. “Thank goodness you are well!”

The Cog spared her a fleeting smile before continuing on his war path.

“Yes, Arha. Thank you for finding the Masters. You saved both me and Feng-Lung, in more ways than you think.”

Arha ran to catch up with his relentless pace, and managed, with some exertion, to hop onto his shoulder and nuzzle his steel cheek.

“You sure did a number on that angry little man!” she cried. “Arha has not seen such hatred from a Cultivator of the mortal realm before! He meant to kill you.”

“Yes, Arha. He meant to kill me.”

The Huli nodded sat back, making herself as comfortable as she could on her chosen machine-man.

Then she started to notice how the buildings changed around her. Where once there were the great stone frescos, stout mounds, and glittering chrysanthemums marking the territory of the Eternal Dragon Sect, now the buildings were barren. Windowless. Devoid of the light the early morning sun was casting.

And the Disciples that observed the coming of the Cog did so out of the corner of their eyes as they continued their bouts of martial combat, each man and boy striking the other with quick jabs that bit at the air and stung their opponents’ bodies.

They did not have to acknowledge the Cog or his spirit for long. For upon their slim-fitting Gis, the cold eyes of a predatory tiger did their staring for them.

“XJ-V,” she said. “I think we are in the Tiger Sect compound! You must have taken a wrong turn.”

XJ-V shook his head as he pushed past all the warriors who sought to question him.

“No, Arha,” he said. “I am precisely where I need to be.”

The little spirit blinked up at him with its bulbous, onyx eyes.

“Why would you come to the place where the man who tried to kill you lives? The man who (as Arha hears it) is about to be sent away to the bad wasteland?”

“Because, Arha,” XJ-V said. “I want him to stay here.”

As they approached the ironclad doors of Master Yoma-Dur’s personal chamber, and XJ-V ascended the steps that lay between two regal statues of his Sect’s patron spirit, Arha sighed.

He must be human after all, she thought. She had heard of the strange affliction humans dubbed ‘insanity’ before, but thought that it was a disease that afflicted only beings of weak, supple flesh and bone…

I must not lose my metal-man! She monologued like a damsel in distress. Perhaps he can still be reasoned with…

“Hail, XJ-V,” a voice called out from above the great steps leading to Master Yoma-Dur’s abode.

XJ-V looked up to see Kai-Thai standing above him. A little less jovial than usual.

“Hail, Kai-Thai,” he responded. “Is Brother Fai-Deng still with Master Yoma-Dur?”

The normally jolly Cultivator scratched his grizzled chops and nodded his head sadly. “Yes,” he said. “For now.”

XJ-V nodded at that, and continued on his way. He then felt Kai-Thai’s hand upon his shoulder, but not, he sensed, in threat.

“Brother,” he said. “I know what you are trying to do. But Master Yoma-Dur’s mind is not easily changed. Brother Fai has gone on a dark path, and I have already accepted blame in prodding him on his way.”

XJ-V looked at the serious face of the joking Tiger and paused next to him on the grand steps.

“You do not have to do this,” Kai told him. “If anything, it should be me prostrating myself before you, asking for forgiveness. Though I strike with the strength of a tiger, the heart of a bumbling child still beats within me.”

XJ-V stepped forward and replicated the movement of his Brother – placing his own hand on the Tiger Cultivator’s shoulder. Though he shook at his touch, he did not recoil.

“May it continue to beat,” XJ-V said. “This world needs more joy.”

He walked away after seeing Kai’s impish smile return and allowed himself a small smile of his own while Arha looked around, completely in the dark.

At the peak of the steps XJ-V stood before the iron doors of Master Yoma’s sanctum, hearing the sounds of fury echo from inside. He steeled himself, gave Arha a pet, and then threw open the doors.

The sanctum was in many ways similar to the Dragonpyre Hearth, with the greatest distinction being the carpeted floors that felt soft and crisp under XJ-V’s feet. As he walked, it felt like he was traversing a desert savannah.

A desert path that led toward his goal: the bowed form of Fai-Deng, his arm a ruined, blackened thing, and his Master standing over him, braided hair frayed and standing on end. It was a vision of repudiation and XJ-V felt the waves of power radiating from the Master. His eyes were bright, yet focused. They were boring into the kneeling Disciple with more intensity than XJ-V had ever beheld. The Master’s face seemed perfectly calm. Controlled. Yet, there was no mistaking the sheer waves of energy coursing through his veins in this moment – pure, raw Qi being channeled into a booming voice that was about to deliver its final proclamation upon this sad thing that knelt before it.

Until that same, perfectly symmetrical face discerned the identity of the new arrival.

XJ-V stood in the center of the carpeted floor, seeing Fai-Deng tense up as he felt his presence.

“Turn, pup. Turn, and look upon the deliverer of your destiny.”

Fai-Deng did not move an inch at his Master’s command. He bowed his head again in shame, rejecting the reality of the Cog’s presence. The latter, meanwhile, was struck by the sheer force in Yoma-Dur’s voice. He had only heard that voice once as the Master of the Tiger Sect had dispersed their last fight. Then, it had been something of a groan – an echo that spoke of weariness at disciplining children.

Now, however, it was the dull roar of a beast that struck at one’s heart with fear. The fear it evoked was that primal fear that came from knowing the creature one faced was capable of so much more than it was displaying. It had such restrained strength within it that even XJ-V’s feet faltered when it spoke again:

“Even as you prostrate yourself before me, begging to remain among your Brothers, you are still a disobedient dog. Nothing more.”

XJ-V’s memory banks flashed at those words even as he saw Fai-Deng bow his head lower to kiss the ground his Master walked on:

An engine made for destruction…Nothing more.

Words that his Master had hurled at him. Words that, ironically, gave the Cog strength to walk forward and stand before the Master of the untamable himself. Words that reminded him why he had come here.

Master Longhua, he thought. Perhaps you had begun training me long before you took me on as your Disciple.

Yoma-Dur raised an eyebrow as the Cog approached.

“You need not fear, XJ-V,” he said. “Nor should you feel compelled to explain the situation to me or the wound you gave this welp. I have already decided on the punishment Fai-Deng will face. In the eyes of we, who walk always as a Pride, it is an appropriate disgrace. One which he has brought upon himself.”

XJ-V looked to the downtrodden Fai-Deng and was struck by the boy avoiding his gaze entirely. Fury still burned within his heart. The charred remains of his left arm hung limply at his side – a dull, dead thing.

“The boy has even refused the healing of our Core Regulators who offered to mend his arm,” Yoma-Dur went on. “He has taken a vow of silence, as is his right. Were another one of our number in his position, they would know not to sully the air of our training grounds with their vile speech.”

XJ-V tore his gaze from the work his engine had worked – the soul within him that still burned as it saw the man that hated him so. But turn away he did. Because he was listening to something else, now.

“I have not come here to explain myself, Master Yoma-Dur.”

“To gloat in the aftermath of your victory, then?” the Master replied. “This dung heap deserves as much. Perhaps you are a true dragon after all.”

XJ-V shook his head. Then, without elaboration, he knelt in the meditative stance of the Eternal Dragon Disciples, placed both his palms on the carpeted ground of the Tigers, and bowed his head.

“I have come to plead for Brother Fai-Deng,” he said. “I have come to ask you to allow him to remain in your Sect.”

Both men looked upon him then with incredulous, dumbstruck faces. Fai-Deng practically foamed at the mouth to see the Cog intercede on his behalf. He surged, caught sight of his Master’s face, and for once in his life thought better of saying anything.

XJ-V did not look up until he heard Master Yoma-Dur’s voice address him after some time.

“You come to my Sanctum without invitation, Disciple of the Dragon. You question my judgement. You make imperious demands. My hands have torn the throats from men who have done less.”

XJ-V tried to stem the innate desire to quake as the force of Master Yoma’s Qi now focused entirely on him.

“And yet,” he said after a time. “You do these things to save the uncultured dog that tried to take your life.”

He heard a small, gruff growl emit from the Master’s throat, then. Something which he only later realized was laughter.

“Longhua did say you were an impertinent Cog,” he said. “If only to satiate my own amusement, I will hear your plea for this filth. But I warn you,” he added sternly. “You had best not waste my time.”

XJ-V finally looked up at the awe-inspiring form of the Master – a creature with teeth ready to seek his throat if he disobeyed. Beside him, Fai-Deng did the exact same – though he shook with fear. He knew his master. He knew what he could do to Disciples that provoked his anger.

But XJ-V did not relent.

“Your time shall not be wasted, Master,” he said. “For I have but one reason you should allow Brother Fai to remain.”

Far from provoking Yoma-Dur’s ire, the ridiculous notion that XJ-V had come with but one single reason in his arsenal of argumentation did nothing but make the Master laugh again.

“Very well,” he said, teeth flaring in the savannah of his lair. “Tell me.”

###

If you are enjoying Cog Cultivator, consider supporting on Patreon to read advanced chapters.

2