Chapter 5: Search and Poison
172 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After achieving the entry level of blood condensation, Ye Hao focused his attention on the group chat.

[20 days 13:59:05]

"Just 20 days left."

"Now that I have achieved the entry level of blood condensation, I should have the ability to hunt for animals now, right? Maybe not the regular creatures, but the smaller ones are definitely doable."

The smaller animals Ye Hao referred to were strange-looking lizard-like creatures, ranging between the size of hippos and large elephants.

Spending over a week in this world, Ye Hao discovered that the animals here were abnormally large compared to Earth's animals. Even the giant dinosaur skeletons Ye Hao had seen in museums were similar in size to the small raptors in this world.

At this moment, Ye Hao steeled himself and decided to hunt an animal rather than insects.

Ye Hao grabbed his makeshift wooden spears as he walked out of the cave.

...

After wandering cautiously for a bit, Ye Hao finally caught a trace of an animal he could hunt: a footprint, not bigger than his own foot. This indicated that the creature wouldn't be too big, and even if it were still bigger than him, it wouldn't be something he couldn't handle.

"As long as I follow these footprints, I should find my prey."

Following the footsteps amidst the tree branches, Ye Hao eventually came to a stop as he spotted a grassy field up ahead.

The field grass was tall, about 2 meters high—tall enough to make it difficult for Ye Hao to continue following the footsteps he'd been tracing until now.

Furthermore, upon arrival at this field, a strange yet familiar scent entered his nose.

"Poison?"

"There is something in the grass emitting poisonous gas."

Ye Hao knew the gas was poisonous due to his previous experience in dealing with insect poison. However, his intuition told him that the poison within the grass was unlike any poison he had dealt with before.

Although Ye Hao had been holding his breath from the moment he detected the poison, it somehow still affected his body.

"Assuming the poison isn't emitted by the animal I am tracking, then it most likely means that the animal is as helpless as I am within the grass. In other words, this is the best opportunity to hunt."

Thinking as such, Ye Hao's original aversion towards the field lessened, and his mouth curled into an ominous grin.

Ye Hao climbed further up the tree until he reached a point where he could see the top of every tree in his vicinity.

Taking a deep breath, Ye Hao descended and got off the tree.

Closing his eyes, he dived into the mysterious grass.

Although the gas shrouded his vision, it didn't limit his other senses. By intentionally limiting one of his senses, he thereby enhanced the rest, albeit only by a small margin.

Ye Hao planned on using his already enhanced senses to act as a radar and map out his surroundings in his mind.

As he progressed deeper into the field, he could feel goosebumps appear on his arm and a greater concentration of poison gas. However, hidden amongst the stench of poison was a slight hint of blood.

"It's the animal I was searching for, but it's bleeding. That means there's a good chance the poison must have spread inside the animal. If that's the case, then I need to pay more attention when butchering it."

As he neared the animal, he could feel the poisonous gas getting denser still, and soon, he began to hear a vibrating sound.

Ye Hao suspected the vibration to be the source of the poison. As for what exactly it was, he didn't care. Even if he wanted to know, his present abilities wouldn't allow him to go any closer, as that would only put him in unnecessary danger.

Eventually, he stumbled across it—the corpse of the animal he was tracing. It seemed to be freshly dead; the wound was quite young, and it seemed to have died not even ten minutes ago. Furthermore, it was big, about the size of a large hippo.

"If I had a way to prevent the corpse from decaying, it could last me an entire week, even with my increased appetite. Unfortunately, although I suspect that the atmosphere in this world can delay the decay of corpses via accumulated energy, the corpse in front of me hasn't accumulated a lot, just enough to allow me one day before the meat goes bad."

While thinking like this, Ye Hao noticed a problem: how did it die? It couldn't have been the poison, as that wouldn't possibly cause the animal to bleed so much.

After feeling around for any clues on the corpse, Ye Hao noticed three deep cuts in the belly, which seemed to be claw marks.

4