Around the Vixen: Corvan
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So,” Corvan said, setting fluffy silver-tabby Feather back on the table, where he settled himself to watch the audience calmly. Both rats had gotten tired and gone back into Corvan’s bag; Astra sat in obedience to a gesture, tail still waving happily, but leaned against Corvan’s leg, inevitably getting more of her white, grey, and black fur on Corvan’s long black skirt.

Like that wasn’t a daily part of life.

We’ve covered what animals are legal in Etria and which ones are not and which ones can be with a permit, and why not to mess about with wild animals, just contact the League if there’s a problem. You know how the laws apply, as far as your own liability for what your animals do and what is required to provide care for them.” She heard Riddle, her raven, moving restlessly on the table next to Feather, and glanced back to make sure she wasn’t tugging on his fur or investigating the bag and bothering the rats.

You know what resources are available, League and otherwise, including the various fancy clubs. We’ve covered the bare basics of diet and physical health, which I’ll cover in much more detail in two weeks, and the bare basics of training, which I’ll cover in much more detail two weeks after that. And we’ve discussed all the reasons why this matters. There are many practical advantages of a physically and mentally healthier animal. Etrian law accepts as a core principle that owning a domesticated animal establishes a contract between you and it, that you will make certain its needs are met and that it can do its job in a reasonable and sustainable way.”

That was a landmark victory for the League of Compassion. Much of Etrian law was based on contracts, with only a core that acknowledged unwritten social contracts to not kill or assault or rob your neighbours; they’d been able to use that framing to get the law passed protecting animals, and a similar one that established the status of children no matter what their birth culture was. It had given them far greater standing to advocate for those who couldn’t speak up in their own right.

Does anyone have any questions? I’d rather, for your sake and that of your animals, that you just asked, even if it seems small or stupid. It’s also extremely likely that someone else would also like to know.”

She’d been doing these talks long enough to have incorporated common questions pre-emptively into the body of the material, but there were always more. People were drawn to these sessions, which were free but did take time, for many reasons, sometimes specific ones.

Someone near the front raised a hand to head-height to get her attention.

What is the best... what is the word? A doctor for animals?”

Veterinarian,” Corvan said, enunciating it clearly. That accent suggested a newcomer to Etria from a substantial distance away, not one of the more common ones she recognized even when she couldn’t name them. “There are many. I would not take my animals to all of them. The League has nine free clinics spread around the city. They each have two doors. One side is for humans needing to see a doctor, and the other side has veterinary care for animals. They share some space and resources in the centre but they’re very careful about keeping everything clean.”

She paused for a heartbeat and flashed a quick smile at the figure who had just slipped in the doors at the far end. Jenna smiled back, but quietly seated herself on a chair in the back row, pulling the strap of her bag over her head to let it rest on the chair beside her. She looked tired but not tense, Corvan thought. She must have been able to get that time with Filia she’d been hoping for. Of course, she could still be enjoying Filia’s company, or at home resting, not here waiting for Corvan to finish up, but there was no dissuading her.

Astra saw her too, and wriggled in place, wanting to run to her. Corvan’s touch on her head held her where she was.

The free clinics will not ask you to pay on either side, but they will gratefully accept donations if you can afford it. Many of the best veterinarians volunteer their time, they work for very low pay, at the free clinic that is closest to their regular office. Anyone working at the free clinic will be qualified and honest and will put your animals first. You can ask one, if you like their work, where to find them when they’re not at the clinic. You can also visit the nearest clinic at any time to ask whether they have anyone on their list who speaks your language. Communication is important, so they can give the best care and you know what to do.” The clinics shared information like that for exactly that reason, in fact.

Animals and humans in the same place,” someone muttered. “That’s not safe.”

It’s as safe as having two sick humans in one place, done right,” Jenna said, without hesitation.

That,” Corvan said, “is a fully-qualified physician who works at the Old Bridge free clinic. Doctor Jenna Renaki.” She heard Riddle moving behind her, and sighed privately. Sure enough, the raven launched herself off the table and glided down the room to Jenna, the short distance not even enough for the weakness of her left wing to show.

Everything is sterilized,” Jenna said, raising an arm without missing a beat; Riddle landed on it and sidled up to her shoulder to nibble at her hair. The ash-brown with its dyed pink stripe at the front was already coming free from its casual bun, but Riddle’s attentions helped it along.

That means it is a step beyond simply clean. We have separate waiting areas and examination rooms, that’s why there are two doors. Sharing an apothecary and laundry services and maintenance staff and some sorts of medical supplies means that we can lower our expenses quite a lot and that allows us to continue to see patients on any number of legs who cannot otherwise afford to get help. The League has a team of qualified retired doctors who inspect each clinic even more frequently than the city inspects establishments that offer food, to be sure we haven’t missed anything. We do realize that some cultures have taboos, but we’ve had to take the most practical approach to help reduce as much suffering as possible. You are safe. So is your cat, dog, fancy rat, pet bird, ferret, turtle, or whatever other kind of animal you have. And while I’m not the expert on animals Corvan is, I can tell you that the veterinarians I see at work are devoted to the best possible quality of life for their furred and feathered patients by any means available.” She caught one of the two hairsticks that held her bun in place before it hit the ground, and pulled the other one free before Riddle could remove it too. “Even silly ravens.” She rubbed Riddle around the base of that deadly-looking beak, and the raven leaned into it with a contented rattling noise.

The one who had asked the question, and who had been listening intently, nodded. “I will ask them. Thank you.”

Other questions?” Corvan asked.

There had been a few at appropriate parts of her talk, something she encouraged so people didn’t forget to ask and could put related information together, and that must have covered it. Some nights there were lots, some nights not. This was, clearly, one of the quieter sort.

Great. If you found this worthwhile, any donations would be appreciated. There’s a jar on the table near the door.” Not immediately inside the door, that was foolhardy, and a chain linked it to the sturdy table. Corvan would empty it on the way out, but the table and jar stayed here for next time. “I’m not being paid, and the space is donated, but the League does make arrangements and, aside from these talks, there are a lot of expenses to cover, like the rescue farm which is mostly abandoned horses and large dogs but has some other residents, and the free clinics, and the court expenses of several legal cases in which the lawyers are donating their time, and, well, a lot of projects trying to make life better for everyone and everything. If you can’t afford it, please don’t feel bad, it happens to lots of us and I hope things improve. I’ll be back here in the Old Bailey in two weeks, and two weeks after that, and then I’ll be starting the same three-session cycle over again over in Old Bridge at the community hall on Fuller’s, so if you can’t make it here or you want to suggest it to someone else or you need a reminder of anything, there’s always another chance. And if you’d like to see my furred and feathered family working for a living and showing off what they can really do, drop by the Merry Vixen down in the Entertainment District some time on Sixthday or Seventhday. We’ll always be there, and that includes Astra dancing with a dancer friend, which just has to be seen to be believed. All right? Have a great night, and I hope I see you back in two weeks.”

As people began to move, gathering bags and the occasional pet and starting to stand up, Jenna caught up her bag in the hand holding her hairsticks and rose without difficulty despite two pounds of raven on her shoulder. Corvan glanced down at Astra, and lifted her hand from the top of her head. “Go to Jenna.”

Astra leapt off the edge of the low dais and made straight for Jenna, wriggling in such ecstatic greeting that Corvan saw several people nearby glance at her and smile.

Hello, Astra, yes, it’s been whole hours since you’ve seen me,” Jenna laughed. When she reached the edge of the dais, Corvan leaned down to offer Riddle her forearm, and the raven took her up on it; that made it easier for Jenna to greet Astra. The dog didn’t precisely fit any one breed, but Corvan figured her parents had both been bred for herding sheep, which gave her energy and intelligence and a strong tendency towards boredom. That was probably why she’d been abandoned at the Old Bridge free clinic. The rats had been abandoned in two pairs plus a lone one; Feather and the shyer cat at home, Mint, and the aging ex-circus-dog Thistle, had all been similar rescues. Riddle was clearly not the ‘wild’ raven that had been claimed when she’d been brought in injured, and she’d decided while recovering that Corvan was her mate, much more likely if she’d been raised by humans.

Now? People adored Astra, charismatic and friendly and clever, with her grey patches on a white base, and black spots on the grey, her cheerful grin and plumed tail that was always in motion. Riddle had given Corvan the nickname of the Raven Queen at the Vixen and in League circles: she’d always liked wearing elaborate black and had kept her hair dyed black for years, and the actual raven was an inadvertent crowning detail. And all of them, gently encouraged, learned tricks that delighted audiences and helped Corvan and Jenna keep them all housed and fed—except Mint, who just found audiences overwhelming, but excelled at emotional support.

Thanks for stepping in,” Corvan said. “It carries a bit more weight from you.”

Jenna shrugged and hopped up onto the dais, slinging her bag back into place. “It’s an understandable concern but it gets tiring having to explain it over and over. We have more than enough to do without exposing patients to zoonotic diseases. Belle isn’t here?”

Corvan shook her head. “She mentioned last time that her parents were making her come along for a family gathering. She wasn’t very happy about it. But at least the aunt and uncle who introduced her to the League will be there. She’ll be back next week. There was a time I did these talks without a teenaged shadow and extra hands.”

I know. But it’s easier when you have help. Astra, sit.” As Astra obeyed, Jenna twisted her hair back into its quick bun on her way to pick up the carrying baskets Feather and Riddle travelled in. “Let’s get all of us home. Do we have anything fast in the kitchen, or are we running around the corner for curry and rice?”

It was always a process, and it was definitely an easier one with extra hands, to make sure all rats were in Corvan’s bag, tuck cat and raven into wicker carriers, and catch a single-horse taxi-carriage with all that plus Astra trotting along loyally at Corvan’s side.

Jenna unlocked the door of their slightly-shabby townhouse and waved Astra inside. Feather and Riddle were released to seek out their own preferred places, Riddle on her perch in the living room with old newspaper spread under it, Feather joining Mint at one end of the couch. Astra sniffed at much-smaller Thistle, sleeping in the large dog bed, and simply curled up around him. The rats went back into the cage with the others; big black Empress inspected Blink and Cocoa briefly, and settled into grooming the former, while Cocoa’s sister Biscuit did the same for her.

After a brief look at the contents of the kitchen, Corvan went around the corner to get curry. Technically it was more expensive, but not all that much, and the family that ran the little shop recognized her and greeted her with smiles. Some days, it was less a question of choosing between cooking a meal or eating takeout than it was a question of eating takeout or having a meal of toasted bread with jam.

In the interests of keeping curious animals out of the food, they did sit at the small dining table under the front window to eat. This floor was simply the dining area at the front, living room at the back, with stairs at the side that went up to the two floors above or down to the front door and the lower level with the kitchen and service areas and Jenna’s home office; the wooden floor was old, but in good shape, and they didn’t have a lot of furniture in here to clutter it so it felt quite open. Old glamour showed in the painted tin ceilings and the plaster mouldings over the doors, but it had been a long time since this was a home to the wealthy. Still, it worked for them.

Nikki was here for a couple of hours before I left for class,” Corvan said. “She’s working tonight so she couldn’t come, but she wanted to get a bit of rehearsal time in.”

Jenna shook her head tolerantly. “Honestly, if I didn’t know she likes reading Dad’s books and cuddling the beasties here just for themselves, I’d worry about how obsessive she is about workouts and rehearsals.”

That drive got her out of Fortune Street and up to a comfortable dependable job and a better-than-average boarding house, so it’s hard to argue too much against it. She’s not as bad as she used to be, maybe because she feels more secure? She does spend time here without it being all rehearsals, and sometimes not even a little. And she goes to listen to Insomnia when they’re at the Gauntlet.”

Security goes a long way,” Jenna conceded. “And I suppose neither of us is in a position to call anyone else down for being obsessive, since between the hospital and the free clinic I’m doing more hours than I would be at either one alone and you’re adding League stuff on top of taking care of our zoo and everything at the Vixen. So, anything new and exciting?”

She’s got Lane going with her to model for a photographer tomorrow. Apparently Olwen’s turning seven in less than a month. Nikki’s thinking that if we can all toss in at least a little, we could get her a present. Lane’s going to talk to Viv about letting her be part of a magic trick again, and they’ll get her something. Obviously we don’t want to outdo what Viv and Lane get her, that’s not going to help, but maybe we can find something?”

Hm. A book, maybe? Something entertaining and educational at once. Not excessively challenging, but her reading skills are higher than the average seven-year-old, and she has Viv and Lane to help her with any unfamiliar words, and we know she enjoys challenges. Not science as such, she’s surrounded by that. Something like folklore and fables, or... she adores animals, maybe something on exotic animals from around the world. That wouldn’t be terribly expensive but it could be something that she could get a lot of enjoyment out of. I can stop at a couple of bookshops and look around for something, and pick it up if I find something perfect and the others can repay whatever they can.”

Perfect. Anything beyond that can just go to Lane to go towards her other present or her costume or something. They are doing their best not to ask for help or let on how much they’re struggling, but they’re trying so hard to give Olwen the best start they can. Anything that helps a bit...”

Jenna nodded. “The elementary schools in Harbourview aren’t much better than Fortune Street at handling a bright and precocious only child who’s being raised by two adults who are highly-educated and who teach and encourage her on the side. She’s well past the basic literacy and numeracy for her age group, but doesn’t have the social skills to interact with older children. She must be as bored in school as Astra was before she had you keeping her busy all the time. I should ask my parents to look around for anything they can bring on their next visit. My brother’s children are around her age, not much help there, but a couple of cousins have children that are a few years older.” She smiled. “I’m not sure how Viv would feel about starting Olwen on Dad’s adventure novels. Nikki says she started reading them very young, after her mother got bored reading to her, but parental thresholds on a number of kinds of content vary. Mom and Papa never objected to him telling us stories at bedtime and they weren’t that different, but I try not to use my family as a representative sample. One-parent families are more common than three, sadly.”

The novels in question were inexpensive pulp paperbacks, derided by some as being a waste of time and paper since they weren’t proper literature, but Corvan was quite certain that Ennis Anvester’s over-the-top good-always-wins wildly-diverse heroic adventure tales had encouraged far more literacy and empathy and enthusiastic conversation than ‘proper literature’ ever had. Nikki adored them so much that she’d gotten a tattoo on her lower leg that was right out of one of the books, a goddess from a forgotten temple, and from what Corvan understood, she wasn’t unusual in wanting images taken from or inspired by those stories.

They were unabashed exciting escapism, oriented as much towards pure entertainment as the show at the Vixen was, and produced quickly, but popular enough that older ones were regularly reprinted. He had a collection of primary characters, and that gave the stories different settings and tones, but they did overlap and interlink at times.

Corvan considered that. “The ones with Merope as the main character would probably be acceptable. She gets drawn into mysteries around a royal court, but she’s a seamstress, they tend not to be quite as rambunctious as the ones on the high seas with Kelsa and her crew or trying to protect the wilderness from sometimes dark threats with Devu and her supernatural powers or treasure-hunting with the fearless Avery Ashian who has everyone trying to toss him in bed. Eryll’s generally around the university he teaches at, they might be fine, except for the occasional mad scientist one. Merope’s and Eryll’s both depend a lot on clever problem-solving and deduction, though, and that might be interesting for her. Maybe some of the others would work. They can at least be sure that the core values in them will be ones they’re in favour of. Knowledge matters, people different from you can be valuable friends, anyone can be a hero, loyalty and lives matter more than wealth or glory. I’ll suggest it to Lane, anyway. We have all of them and so does Nikki so borrowing them is easy enough.”

Jenna nodded. “I hope things get easier for Olwen as she gets older. Secondary school will give her more challenges but that’s still five years off. I suppose her honourary aunts and uncles will just have to see what we can do to keep her from becoming so bored she starts destroying the furniture and barking incessantly and generally becoming impossible to live with, hm?”

The image made Corvan laugh. “With how much time I spend trying to keep dogs, cats, rats, and Riddle from being bored, why not keep an eye out for ideas for a seven-year-old too? Different species, same basic needs. So how, was the hospital today?”

Jenna’s mood shifted instantly, and she heaved a deep sigh. “I rather wish there were talks about having children along the lines of yours. And that they were mandatory.”

Oh dear. That sort of day? You lose your appetite if you get angry while you’re eating. Once we’re done, we’ll cuddle up on the couch with a cat or two to hug and you can tell me how bad it was.”

0