Chapter 8
453 6 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Gundam Nova]

November 5th, 168 I.J.C Earth, Louisiana New Orleans. Time 9:35 P.M.

 

“Well, that's enough catch-up. I know that you come here for a reason.” Mr. Ottoman said, his posture turning stern, quickly changing the atmosphere in the room from the jolly before to a serious one.

 

“Well, I come to cash in a favor, As well as offer you…a new business proposal.”  Araya said, placing down her laptop on the table that had already been cleared by Hemston, Fast work as always.

 

“Please take a look,” turning on the laptop, she plays the clip of her success. No… “at our success.” 

 

The clip plays, in the boy’s room, fast forward while he experiencing multiple emotions rapidly. She stops fast-forwarding when the boy sits on the chair. Take up the pen and start drawing.

 

“So…What do you see?”  She asks, waiting in anticipation. 

 

“Hm…Nothing as interesting, isn’t just a model of a child drawing a bird?” Mr. Ottoman said. Well, that is about what she expects from someone not interested in anything that is not military-related.

 

“What you are seeing right now…is a future, So what kind of thing did the boy just draw?”  She asks, eyes full of confidence.

 

“Hm…a bird? What so special about it?” He asks her, waiting.

 

“Well, my dear business partner, What you just saw is something I never intended to happen, or at least that was not in my program, The boy did it all on his own, the emotional test I push on him is just to make this.”

 

Stopping the video, she zooms in on the drawing of a bird.

 

“By exposing extreme emotion with enough stimulants, I force the AI to evolve, create the emotion of its own, because after all, What I put in is just artificial. And what did the boy do? Drawing bird. I didn’t program for it to do anything with the paper and pen, the only thing I did was give it various information of what it can do with it.” 

 

“Get to the point, Araya. You know I’m not good with this roundabout way of thing.” Mr. Ottoman urges her—ever the same impatient man.

 

“Well, to put it simply, I give it artificial Emotion to develop a real emotion. And that is desire, the first emotion that truly belongs to it. A bird indicates freedom, after all, that is what we humans believe a bird is, a free creature roaming the sky.

 

And what you just saw, is an AI that has developed a first Functioning Emotion, The emotion of desire, which will lead to many more emotions to be discovered. Disappointment, fear, regret, happiness, joy, surprise, or maybe even contentment.”

 

Araya stops, eye looking over to Mr. Ottoman, he looks at her with the same serious face all those years ago.

 

“They have the potential, to surpass any Military AI in development both now and in the future, and by that yes, I mean even the Maria. Think about it, Earth’s military might be powerful, sure. But can they hold up to Agellus? Or better yet, the mightiest in this cosmos, The Folkard? They both have the same thing as us, the same Assist Ai, almost the same mobile force with similar capability, yet they still beat you.” 

 

Just the mention of those two factions manages to get a new expression out of him, the hatred is there.

 

“War after war, Earth has not been defeated nor it knows victory against those two. But with this, not only will our AI be superior assistance, but there is also the possibility of an unmanned pilot with the same capability as a real pilot. Think about it, an army of unmanned mobile suits, capable of maneuvering that is impossible even for the best of ACE.”

 

She waits, waiting for the response of her potential business partner. Watching every one of his movements, Eyes, muscles, nose, or even the rhythm of his breathing. Everything counts when it comes to observation.

 

After pondering for what seems like a year, Araya notices a shift in his atmosphere, it is much more relaxed, although it still has a serious tone.

 

“What do you need…for this to work?” 

 

Araya smile.

 

“Well then for starter…”

 

[Gundam Nova]

November 6th, 168 I.J.C Earth, Louisiana New Orleans. Time 10:39 A.M.

 

Chirp Chirp…

 

“Yawn….What time is it?” Looking over her phone it was already 10:39. It seemed her talk with Mr. Ottoman had taken out so much more than she thought. But well, she already sealed the deal, so that is not a problem.

 

“Hm? A missed call? From who….ohhh right. I think I promise to take them to tour around…ha…such a nuisance….Wait. I’m the one who takes them here.” Getting up, groggily, Araya washed her face and took a quick bath before changing her clothes into something presentable.

 

Getting down to the front porch, she already sees the car ready, waiting for her. Hemston was there, waiting.

 

“It's like you read my mind or something.” She said, taking her coat from Hemston.


“It was but a simple trick, you are too predictable after all, and the fact that you asked me to reserve some restaurant play in it too.” He said.

 

Shrugging her shoulder, she got in the car, but before she closed it, Hemston suddenly spoke up.

 

“May I ask if it is a man or woman, one that you will take with you.”

 

“It both, like I said, they’re my subordinates. Why you ask?” 

 

“Madam Kylie is expressing her concern over you going to a restaurant you didn’t like. That is all.”

 

Nodding to him, she closes the door. “Kingston Hotel,” she said lightly, and the driver started the car. Taking in the beautiful landscape of earth, a real forest, fresh air, and most importantly, real sunlight.

 

After all, Humans can’t still replicate Earth’s atmosphere, direct sunlight will be too much for the human body.

 

Slowly, the view changes as the car leaves the mansion, big building, and such, all the same, whether it be in the colony or the city…after all, a real forest is rare nowadays.

 

“Yawn….” yawning, she looked over her phone, checking if there were any new messages, well, nothing so far, so she decided to look over the research result, trying to spot mistakes. This takes her mind as she reads everything from the first-day report to just a week ago…

 

And before she knew it, she arrived at Kingston Hotel. 

 

Thanking the driver, she walks into the hotel and waits in the lobby, sending a message to the two of them. After a little while, the elevator came down, and only one person came out of it.

 

“Where Alye?” she asked, watching Joel yawn.

 

“She…got a bad stomach… we tried that thing called guacamole…and it got her on the bad case…” Joel said, scratching his head as he nervously looked away from her.

 

“Did she get meds?” He nods, “Well, nothing we can do, she's just unlucky. Do you still want to go to the restaurant? I have it on the reservation.”

 

“Uh...should we wait for her to get better?”

 

“We could just get her there next time. Let's just get going, I’m hungry.” Without hearing any more of his words, Araya got up and walked outside, only looking back to see if Joel had followed her, and fortunately for him, he followed.

 

As she already sent her driver away, Araya called a taxi, the wait was silence, and so was the ride, she did notice Joel opening his mouth and closing it just as quickly, he shifting uncomfortably, as he looked over his phone, which isn’t even turn on.

 

When they arrive, Araya quickly gets the table from the receptionist and sits down with Joel the opposite of her.

 

“Order whatever you want, Don’t worry about the bills.” 

 

“Eh? Is-is it really ok-...ok, please don’t glare at me like that…” With him, getting scared just by her glare, how is he a man? Whatever.

 

“Then…I will get this…Lobster Dumpling? And barbecue shrimp…”

 

“Sure, waiter! Get us Lobster dumplings, barbecue shrimp, Charred octopus and make it spicy, and water too.”

 

The waiter from the counter gives her a thumbs-up and walks to the kitchen. This place is quite bustling for this time of the day. Chatter all around, shouting while cheering on their favorite sports team…this is a sports bar…Why would Hemston reserve this place? Well, no use thinking, she didn’t dislike a place like this, just that it was too chaotic.

 

Waiting for the food in silence, Araya took out her phone and decided to find something entertaining to watch.

 

“Uh…Mrs. Araya… Thank you for inviting me out today.” Joel suddenly spoke up. Thanking her for inviting him out.

 

“It's nothing, I was the one who should thank you, not only did you give me a new Idea but you also created those test servers for us too, I have to thank Alye for putting up with me too. So…” Taking in a deep breath, Araya opened her eyes and looked at the man in front of her.

 

“Thank you, and sorry about yelling at you, The one month you've been here has been more of a successful venture than the last 3 months since I came.” this was quite sincere as she allowed. Even if he might not like it.

 

But unlike what she expected, all she got was a smile, a genuine smile. It… surprised her, for some reason.

 

“Of course! I’m happy to help! Since I also got to do many things I can’t image at the academy and much more…” And he starts rambling, rambling about many things, his academy days, Ai advancement, what they working on…It…isn’t as annoying as she thought.

 

“Hehe…” 

 

“Eh? Is there something to laugh about? Wait, is it when I talk about my old professor!? That must be it! Those times were truly hellish.” he said, Araya stopped herself from laughing, wiping a bit of a tear that fell down. 

 

“Well, our food is here, let’s eat.” Arriving at the perfect time, the waiter places down all their food and leaves, but she notices the waiter give Joel a wink for some reason and he blushes a bit. For what?

 

The spicy charred octopus, comes with a variety of sauces, taking a bite out of it, she was quite surprised it actually had some kick to it, the last time she wanted something spicy there really not that hot.

 

“It's hot! Why is it so spicy?!” Quickly drinking his water, Joel starts fanning his tongue, in a quite comedic way too. Unable to keep herself from laughing, Araya laughs. As much as she could.

 

Tears come out of her eyes, as she tries to compose herself, only to start laughing again when Joel suddenly spit out his water from the nose. 

 

“Pfft…M-my bad, sorry… it's just too funny.” Wiping the tears away again using her hand, she quickly managed to compose herself this time. “Ahem, sorry, that was a bit rude of me.”

 

“I-i don’t mind, cough! Why is it so spicy?!” He said while coughing, it made Araya wonder if it was really that spicy.

 

“Let me try, taking her fork, she takes a piece of barbecue shrimp and takes a bit…honestly? The flavor was a bit mild, maybe a little kick? But not something worth coughing for.

 

“It's not really that spicy.” She said,

 

“Eh?! Even though it was really spicy, how can you just eat it like that!” He whines, making her smile a bit.

 

“Stop whining and just eat already, you still got lobster don’t you?” 

 

The lunch continued with them talking a little, and watching him struggle to even eat barbecue was quite fun…and before she knew it, they were already finished and getting back to the hotel.

 

Time passes by quite quickly, just staying on earth for one week, and they already returned to Celeby-2, they visit many places, including the zoo which makes Ayle cry after seeing a real bat for the first time, the Water park which makes Joel scream from him using the dropper, a historical museum which Araya took interest in.

 

It was…quite a fun time for her, a first since she ran away. Sadly it had to end so soon.

 

[Gundam Nova]

 

Everything after they return goes so smoothly, that she almost thought it was a miracle. The test goes smoothly, The boy has responded to many stimulants, progress that never seen before, and Emotion after Emotion, The boy has acquired it.

 

Not artificial, but real genuine emotion. Joel has been a huge help to her, getting the server ready, helping her with news Ideas, helping her write the code, and dissecting the mobile worker's computer.

 

She could say that most of the work has not been without his help, a truly remarkable individual. But for some reason, he invited her to dinner a lot, it was free food so she accepted them, most of the time…it was one of those luxury restaurants that normally cost a lot for normal people, like Joel.

 

She offered many times to pay for her portion but he just refused, saying that it was normal since he was the one who invited her. sometimes, she wonders why he never invited Alye to this expensive restaurant too. Maybe it is out of his pocket? 

 

They continue to go together, research together, and improve together until years pass.

 

December 10th, 169 I.C.J, Celeby-2

 

Today too, was another day that Joel invited her out to dinner, but this time, it was not the expensive restaurant she thought it was, but a rather…well not cheap but certainly not expensive, it got quite a nice view to it too.

 

For some reason, Joel insists that she dress nicely, even though he never asks that when they go to those expensive restaurants.

 

But to comply with his request, Araya dresses quite nicely for a change. Waiting at the table for him, he says he got a surprise or something. Araya notices something, even though it is nighttime, there are no people here, most of the staff is gone too and they seem to light candles instead of using normal light bulbs for some reason…

 

“Sorry, I’m Late!” Joel suddenly rushed in, his suit was a bit tattered, probably from running here?

 

“Don't worry I didn't wait that long. Oh, I already placed an Order, is that OK? I got you chicken Parm.” 

 

“Yeah, that's fine with me.” He said, sitting down while wiping his sweat.

 

When the food arrives, their dinner continues as usual, talking about research, and subjects of interest. It was the usual, nothing really changed aside from the nervousness on Joel's face.

 

“Is something the matter?” Araya asks, putting down her fork and looking over to Joel. He seems startled and looks quite…restless for some reason. “If you have something just say it, Did I make you feel uncomfortable?” 

 

“No! No, no… it's just…kind of hard…” The last words were too soft for her to hear, huh, maybe he got sick?

 

“Your face is red, you know? If you feel sick we should-”

“That's not it! Uh…I mean no, I’m not sick…or anything.” He said, which irritated her for some reason. 

 

“Then spit it out, getting twitchy like that really annoyed me and you know that too. I thought you get rid of that.” 

 

Silence…he stays silent, not answering her or even looking at her. Sighing, Araya was ready to leave, only to stop when she suddenly felt a hand tug at her arm. 

 

“Please…don’t leave yet,” Joel said, his face seeming to be in tears for some reason.

 

“Fine…Just another 10 minutes, if you can’t say what you need, I will leave.” Sitting, she put everything on silence and stayed focused on the person in front of her. 

 

Minute pass, 2-minute pass, 3-minute pass, and still nothing. Joel for his part, just stays as restless as ever, it is almost like the first time they meet…It seems like he needs some incentive.

 

“7 minutes left, seeing as you are not willing to even open your mouth I will decrease that time to 3 minutes. Time is ticking.” There, finally, she sees some reactions, an expression of panic, hand moving up and down, clenching and unclenching, mouth open and close, eyes moving from her to behind then back on her again.

 

With just a simple observation that Araya could see, it seemed he still had that same nervous wreck a year ago. Well, maybe it is not a bad thing after all.

 

“um…Mrs…Araya…” Finally, it starts. “We knew each other for a year…now, I learn a lot from you.” His face changed from the ever-nervousness to a confident one, one he normally has when he rambles or when they research together.

“That same goes for me, I learn a lot from you too.” She said, smiling slightly. 

 

“Yeah…so..um! May I…have the honor…of going out with you?” 

 

“...Eh?” What did he just say? “...Me? Not Alye? I mean, my face aside my personality is downright horrible, I can’t cook and neither am I good at cleaning, what more-”

 

“I didn’t like you for those things…It may be a bit embarrassing…but I first saw you when you came to Elysium Academy as a special instructor…That was…4 years ago. During one of your spaces, I was inspired and changed my course from Mobile Mechanics to coding and AI research.”

 

Eh? When? 4 years ago? She goes to a lot of places…Elysium? Did she ever go there?

 

“You don’t remember it seems, and the fact that you don’t even seem to remember what Elysium Academy is…But that was the first time I saw you.”

 

“So…you saying that you have a crush on me for over 4 years long?” He nods weakly. “So, how is it? Did the expectation meet?”

 

“...It was surpass. I was surprised when I met you again, you look so different from those years ago…but you still feel like the same person…just easier to get irritated than I thought, Ahaha…” 

 

“I see…Now this is troublesome.” Scratching her head, Araya slumped back against the chair. “I will be honest with you…I like you, but not as a lover, In fact, I don’t even know what love feels like, so I feel like I couldn’t return it to you. I grew up in a complicated family situation, I don’t know what love is, only like, And I like you-”

 

“That's enough for me,” Joel said, Eyes full of determination. His hand moved faster than she could catch, grabbing her with tenderness.  “If you like me then there is a chance, right? Please at least try, If it doesn’t work out we could break up, And I will give up. So…just once…give me a chance.”

 

His eyes are determined but his hand is shaking…Legs, arms the drop of sweat just below his eyes. He was scared and nervous. But even when his hand is shaking it still feels firm to her…Maybe. This would work.

 

“Just once…I will give you just one chance.” She leans in closer…

 

[Gundam Nova]

 

January 1st, 194 I.J.C , Siga-8

 

“Apparently, that one chance was enough, seeing as you pop up…But well, it because of him that I manage to learn about what love is and how to return it.” Mama said while caressing my hair.

 

“So…Why are you explaining the details of your research to me? Who was the Ottoman? Why are you running away and…how Father died?”

 

“Lot of questions aren’t you? Well, there are a lot of plotholes in my story, isn’t it? Like how you were born if I met him over 20 years ago?” right…that too…

 

“Let me answer the best I can and what I'm comfortable with. First…about the research, I told you it because it is one of my connections to him besides you, and a warning too. I took it the wrong way and paid the price for it.” she looked a bit sad… that's normal.

 

“Second, the ottoman, they are a family well-versed in the military of Earth’s. They took me in and I repaid them, but now…I owe them more favor than I could count, the reason we are here and not in jail is because of them too. Third, I can’t say. It is not time yet. And fourth…he died on the day Celeby-2 was destroyed, I was on earth at that time so I was spare…but he… unfortunately unable to escape to the pod, alongside Alye. The two people closest to me died that day.” 

 

Mama's eyes seemed distant like she wasn’t there. “And for how you were born just 5 years ago? Do you want an answer to that?”

 

“Yeah…that would be good too.”

 

“The answer is…how should I say this? Do you know what a sperm bank is? Your father's sperm was stored there, for my IVF treatment…that was the reason I was on Earth in the first place.”

 

“...so you infertile? Wait…how does a sperm survive that long?!” Sperm can survive that long!? I thought it should only last a few years at best if you freeze it!

 

“Yeah, human is amazing like that…I was in grief and couldn’t proceed with the treatment, but I overcame it and have you.” 

 

“I see…Did you…miss him?” I ask her, look straight at her.

 

“I miss him dearly, so much that it hurts sometimes, but I have you so I couldn’t afford to be a damsel right? I have to be strong for you. Now that I answered your question, it's time you answer me too.”

 

At that moment, somehow, I feel the immense pressure, almost suffocating. 

 

“Who really are you?” is her question.

 

At that moment, I could feel my heart start racing, saliva block my throat as I almost choke, I could feel sweat running down from my back to my spine. 

 

“...W-what do you…mean?”

 

“Don’t play dumb Yoha…Just so you know, I’m quite observant, even though I ignore most of the things. Your behavior, pattern of speech, Emotional control, and even just your everyday tasks like playing, or eating. I saw it all, and I can with confidence that you…are not a child. I ignore most of the thing, choking it as you were a child born of two geniuses so you obviously are one, but did you think I was that dumb?”

 

She said, hand holding my arm tightly as if to not let me get away. 

 

“At age 2, you manage to learn one of the hardest Code languages as if it was child's play, then you create Haro, an advanced AI that could only be compared to that of a mobile worker. And you manage to create an AI with an Emotion that almost resembles a child without high-intensity Emotion stimulation that Even I couldn’t manage.”

 

That…was all true…I got carried away, I thought that it was ok since she didn’t show any reaction but this time it was too much. I did something that caught her eye too much, and now, I will be paying for the consequences.

 

God…damn it…”I…don’t know, would you…no..you won’t believe me.”

 

“What? Is it something like a past life? That thing is popping up all the time, even though I don’t really believe in it.” I turn stiff at her words…and she notices it too. “You serious? I said that as a joke but are you serious?”

 

There is no point in denying it…so I nod at her. 

 

“Which years did you die?” 

 

“2024…C.E. or the common era…” 

 

“Hoh…that quite far away…around 500 years? Yeah, that's right. Name, age, gender, and job.”

 

“Yohan Agnes…27, male, I’m a Software engineer…that why I have my way with coding language…”

 

“I see, I see…”

 

This uncomfortable silence…it making me feel nauseous. No…don’t, not here, not now…Don’t break here otherwise…

 

Tab…

 

“Heh?”

 

“A reincarnate person, huh…That…quite unbelievable but given what you did I’m not really that surprised. But tell me one thing…just one thing. Are you Yohan Agnes or Yoha Milas Revory?”

 

“Yoha! I’m Yoha without a doubt! Every feeling, every piece of memory I have…is undoubtedly mine. Because…I believe myself, to be Yoha.” I answer her, without hesitation, these 4 years…have been fun, I learned many things and I still want to learn more…every moment in my life, every feeling I have ever known in this world. It was mine and mine alone. And I won’t let anyone…not even her to deny me.

 

She stares at me, straight into my eyes as if judging me…then, her hand becomes softened. The same gentle feeling…

 

“That’s right, No matter what you are, you are still my daughter, the same one who thinks of a roundabout way to solve the simplest problem, who smiles every time she eats a pudding, and the same one who cries during the night because she is hungry. The past is the past, there is nothing you can do to change it.”

 

“Past, present, future. The past may be set in stone, and we may live in the present but the future is an endless possibility, I didn’t know that my daughter would be a reincarnated person, I didn’t know I would meet Joel, and neither did I know that I would run away. But because of this endless possibility, everything can happen. I mean Joel, I fall in love and most importantly, I have you.”

 

“No matter who you are in the past does not matter, what matters is who you are in the present and in the future. Of course, learning that you have a memory before being born is shocking, but what of it? You still you, Yoha is still Yoha.” 

She said, her grip around my hand loosened and moved to my head, slowly caressing it as if I was a child…no because I was still a child in her eyes.

 

“...Even if…I take your real daughter’s body?”

 

“What real daughter? You were the one who cried at night, right? Or are you saying that you just trying to suck my boob?” She jokes. As if this situation is absurd for her…

 

“yeah…I-i’m sorry…I-i was scared…so scared what you will think the moment you ask me that, I always ask who you really are but I didn’t even try to make you know who I am…It didn’t even cross my mind.”

 

“Yeah, those happened a lot, Children tend to overlook things and forget about how others feel, but that's ok because you are still children and they make mistakes all the time. So Yoha, Don’t be scared, I’m always here with you, even if the time comes when I can’t be with you physically, just know that deep in your heart, there is a part of me that will be watching over you.”

 

Her arms moved, and envelope me in a hug, I could feel her warm as the slow beating of her heart rang in my ear. No words were said after that, everything just continued in silence, the hug, the head pat, or even just the kiss on the forehead.

 

That night…I think I have a good dream for the first time in a while.

 

Hey! Sorry, I didn't upload yesterday...this chapter took a bit out of me as I have no idea how to write romance, and there are lot going on than I thought to happen...but hey going with the flow right? so yeah anyway, see you guy in the next chapter!

17