Chapter 7
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 7

Negotiator

 

In a distant location, far from the House of Fog, another member of the Nightingale guild was grappling with his own problem. Seated in a calming hot spring and clad in a towel robe, he tapped his fingers restlessly upon a wooden chair. His attention was ensnared by the glowing interface of the system window, a sudden notification drawing his focus. 

[Sylas Oakenheart (online)]

The message bore the significance that his friend Sylas had finally emerged from his dormant state and ventured into the new world. This individual was none other than Gray Morgan, a trusted companion of Sylas and a stalwart member of the Nightingale Guild. Throughout the millennia, Gray had steadfastly upheld the guild's integrity and security in Sylas's absence, dutifully fulfilling his role as the guild's vice leader.

"Took you so long, man... I almost gave up," Gray muttered to himself, his voice tinged with relief as he absorbed the long-awaited news of Sylas's awakening. Millennia of waiting had finally come to an end, and it was time for them to reclaim their former glory.

Though eager to meet with his friend as soon as possible, Gray hesitated. There were pressing matters at hand that demanded his immediate attention. The Nightingale Guild was embroiled in negotiations between high-ranking players, and Gray had been called upon to act as the intermediary and mediator.

As he contemplated his next move, Gray's hand hovered over the system panel, poised to send a signal to Sylas's location and vice versa. However, he hesitated and ultimately canceled the action. There was no time for personal matters now; he had a crucial role to fulfill in the negotiations. And so, despite his eagerness to reunite with his friend, Gray turned his focus to the task at hand, preparing to enter the hidden realm of another player for the pivotal meeting.

The other player, with whom Gray was to negotiate, had arranged for him to stay at an onsen, a traditional Japanese-style resort known for its hot springs and serene natural surroundings.

As Gray sat, overlooking the long stairway ascending the mountain, a towering figure clad in full-plate armor resembling a samurai approached him. The figure wore a distinctive helmet adorned with stag beetle motifs, a signature of samurai armor.

"I apologize for keeping you waiting, Gray-dono," the samurai said with utmost courtesy, using honorifics to address Gray.

"Can you drop the honorifics? We're both players. It feels weird to talk that way," Gray responded.

Nightingale was a roleplay guild, and both Gray and Sylas adhered to its principles. However, Gray felt a significant difference when engaging in such formalities outside the game world, especially since the two realms had merged. He reserved such formalities for his subordinates.

"I'm afraid I can't do that. I must maintain proper decorum as an example for my servants and followers," the samurai, known as Yashaemon, replied firmly.

Yashaemon was a high-ranking player known for his eccentric taste in fashion and strict adherence to his role-playing persona. His immersion in character extended beyond the game, becoming an integral part of his personality. Despite their differences, Gray had developed a close enough relationship with Yashaemon to engage with him casually in the recreational settlements that Yashaemon owned.

Yashaemon had ascended to become a supreme being, based his teachings on Shintoism, an ancient belief system originating from Japan. His followers revered him, constructing shrines and temples in his honor and erecting golden statues to symbolize his teachings. He embodied prosperity in the land of the Setting Sun.

"Are the facilities to your liking, Gray-dono?" Yashaemon inquired politely, addressing his esteemed guest.

Hearing him speak like that, Gray raised his eyebrow "Can you drop the honorifics? We're both players. It feels weird to talk that way," Gray responded.

Nightingale was a roleplay guild, and both Gray and Sylas adhered to its principles. However, Gray felt a significant difference when engaging in such formalities outside the game world, especially since the two realms had merged. He reserved such formalities for his subordinates.

"I'm afraid I can't do that. I must maintain proper decorum as an example for my servants and followers," the samurai, known as Yashaemon, replied firmly.

Yashaemon was a high-ranking player known for his eccentric taste in fashion and strict adherence to his role-playing persona. His immersion in character extended beyond the game, becoming an integral part of his personality. Despite their differences, Gray had developed a close enough relationship with Yashaemon to engage with him casually in the recreational settlements that Yashaemon owned.

Gray had been invited to this place by Yashaemon himself. While in the eyes of the players, it was merely a casual meeting between two individuals seeking to converse, to the current residents of the world, it was an encounter between two formidable entities, each capable of monumental impact. Yashaemon's subordinates bowed in a prostrating position, awaiting their master's orders with unwavering patience.

"It's not bad, but it could use some more furnishing. You ought to be more lavish, man," Gray remarked casually.

"I appreciate your suggestion, Gray," Yashaemon responded, adjusting his speech to match Gray's informal tone.

"Now that's more like it. Just take it easy, we've known each other for a long time. So let's get to the main topic, shall we? What is it that made you bring me here?" Gray asked, maintaining his relaxed demeanor.

Yashaemon fell silent for a moment, glancing in the direction of his servants who remained bowed in his presence, unable to lift their heads. After a moment of hesitation, he began to speak.

"We might need to reserve this conversation for a more isolated setting," he said, then muttered a spell under his breath, "Shizuku." With that command, a barrier erected around them, muffling their voices and preventing anyone outside from hearing their conversation.

[Tranquil Encasement Shizuku :(Duration:3 minutes)]

Inside the bubble that muffled their voices, Gray and Yashaemon continued their conversation, unaware of the two servants nearby.

“Psstt! Hey! Waka, can you hear what they're talking about?” one of the servants whispered, using "Waka" to address a young master in a clan family. He wore a navy blue ninja outfit and attempted to strike up a conversation with the woman beside him.

"Shut up, Enzo. You're going to get us punished," she whispered back. Unlike the ninja, she wore a more revealing samurai outfit, with only shoulder and waist padding, leaving the rest of her body uncovered.

“I don't know what they're saying, but look at their faces. I don't think it's good news” he pointed out.

The samurai woman glanced at the two figures conversing within the barrier, her gaze settling on Yashaemon's troubled expression. "Chichiue..." she murmured, her face clouded with concern. What she observed was her father's solemn and burdened face, which only deepened her worry, particularly in light of the man he was speaking with.

Observing the concerned exchange between the servants that were present there , Gray couldn't resist stealing a glance. "Looks like your daughter's quite worried about you. What's the discussion that needs to be kept from her ears?" Gray said, while having his attention to the young mistress.

Yashaemon went silent for a brief moment, his gaze lowered and then spoke solemnly. "Her name's Yoshitsune. I didn't want them to witness my vulnerability, not until it's absolutely necessary."

Gray raised an eyebrow at the sudden shift in tone. "Why the sudden seriousness? You sound like you're about to die."

Their conversation remained shrouded from the others present. Gray began to grasp the gravity of the situation. "Indeed, I am dying. And I'm afraid it won't be long before I hit the grave," Yashaemon confessed.

Gray was taken aback by the unexpected revelation. It dawned on him that this was no ordinary conversation. Yashaemon had chosen him for a reason, and Gray discarded his casual demeanor. "So that's the situation. Alright, I'm all ears.”

Yashaemon extended a bottle of sake towards Gray, pouring it into a cup before offering it to him. "Here, have some for yourself."

"Thanks, cheers," Gray accepted the cup and downed its contents in one swift motion. The sweet taste of the sake washed away the bitterness in his mouth, enveloping him in a comforting warmth against the chill of the night.

Observing his esteemed guest enjoy the drink, Yashaemon chuckled, a small release of the tension weighing on his heart. "It was a long time ago, but to make it brief, it was the consequence of my actions that led me to my own doom," Yashaemon admitted to himself, pouring a cup for himself as well.

As he poured another round of sake for his guest, Yashaemon began recounting the story of his awakening in the new world. In those early days, players across the eastern continent grappled with the challenging task of governance and leadership over the vast lands they inhabited. Despite their power in the game, none possessed the real-world experience needed to rule a nation. It fell upon Yashaemon, a former government officer, to step forward and guide the players, uniting them under a single rule. Despite the strength of many players surpassing his own, they respected him for his just and wise leadership, which brought peace and prosperity to the land.

Under Yashaemon's guidance, the eastern players established a pantheon of deities to protect their lands, each player representing a divine figure. However, this era of harmony was short-lived, as greed and betrayal tore apart the unity Yashaemon had worked so hard to achieve. War erupted, claiming the lives of many, including his beloved. Yashaemon himself suffered a grievous injury, poisoned and left to languish in his current state.

"I brought all the players in this country together and gave them a safe haven so we could battle the arrogant western gamers. However, all of that work is in vain. They all left me behind after a millennium. In this realm, I was the final player standing.”

Yashaemon's words hung heavy in the air as he revealed the grim truth of his situation. Gray's gaze fell upon the fatal wound that marred Yashaemon's body—a deep gash that ran across his ribs and down his back, surrounded by discolored bruises and angry red rashes. It was a visible testament to the poison that coursed through his veins, slowly consuming him from within.

Despite his efforts to resist the poison's effects, Yashaemon knew that his time was running short. Neither healing magic nor conventional remedies could halt its progression, leaving him with no hope of recovery. Only an antidote of Unique grade or higher possessed the potency to counteract the poison's lethal effects—a remedy that seemed increasingly out of reach.

With a heavy heart, Yashaemon confessed the futility of his struggle. "This poison will be the end of me, Gray," he admitted solemnly. "And everything I've fought for will perish with me."

That is true. Gray said, "Once other players hear about this, they'll come here like vultures and try to eat away at everything you have." They will all attempt to attack this kingdom as soon as they learn that its monarch has passed away, leaving nothing behind.That's just the way those greedy players work.

Grey furrowed his brows. For him, it was also not good news. The loss of one of his most devoted clients will also contribute to this nation's demise. Furthermore, Yashaemon had been a client of his for over a millennium, making him more than just a devoted consumer. Here, their existence wasn’t restricted by time and they can continue to live until they’re killed. So losing someone like him was a big deal. 

He can't afford to overlook a loss this magnitude. Yea, right. Gray remarked, "Like I ever let that happen," as he turned to leave the soundproof barrier. He proceeded to confront Young Master Yoshitsune.

She was still sitting on the wooden floor, with Gray standing in front of her. He questioned her, saying, "You want to know the conversation I had with the divine ruler, young lord?"

He had fixed her with an intense stare when she looked up at him. awaiting her reply. She had no business getting engaged with the divine ruler of the setting sun. She believed herself to be nothing more than a god's servant. However, she gave in to her curiosity and nodded. Indeed, sir Gray. I respectfully said, "Wish to know what my dear father had spoken with you."

even if he was attempting to hide his empathy and all the emotion. and only considered the gain and loss on profit. Still, taking action in this case was the right choice. and he won't be impartial toward any side this time. He needed to choose a side now.

Glancing over his shoulder, Gray saw Yashaemon. He asked Yashaemon, "I will tell her, do you mind?" but got no response.

Yashaemon was at a loss for what to do. He wanted to say something, to stop it for a lot longer. However, he had cowardly kept this crucial information from even his closest loved ones.He didn't have the courage to tell them, but he knew he had to let them know sooner or later.

"I take that as a yes," Gray replied, turning back to the young lord. He continued by telling her all that had happened and the state of their country at the time.

Gray anticipated that she was shocked to learn how serious their circumstances were. The idea of losing her father at such short notice may also frighten or worry her.But he was surprised by what she had in place of it.

"I see... so that's what happened," she remarked, touching her chin. "In other words, we need to take action" She said, almost unfazed by the revelation.Instead of dwelling on the issue and becoming frightened. She put on a determined appearance and took the issue at hand seriously.

Gray was more persuaded to assist them by this. "I have decided. Take my word," he declared after coming to a decision. I'll be here to support this nation. He said.

Due to this move, Gray would find himself opposed by other factions and parties. turning them into his enemies, as well as maybe the entire player population in the new Arcadia world. But since he was no longer alone, he didn't give a damn. Sylas had not only come back from his trance-like state, butGray himself was also growing into an influential person. It was time for other players to start taking him seriously. He can no longer be pushed around by them. 

He then opened the window panel for his inventory. It looked different from how Sylas looked. There was gold embellishment along the panel's edge.and the description that was written on the system display panel was Treasury rather than just inventory.

"Yoshitsune, young master," he addressed her. She said, "Yes?" as he abruptly called her name. "May I call you Ushiwakamaru?" he questioned. “similar to what your father did?". Despite not knowing his intentions, she consented and allowed him to refer to her by her nickname.

He grinned ear to ears after this. He now has his chance to show off his skill. something that was very rare to happen for him since he always fought from the rear line.

"Give me one second, I'll show you guys something," he said to them with amuse.

[Treasury Open. Access Granted]

As he extended his palm into the clear treasury gateway, golden light erupted, causing the surrounding air to quiver. Then he pulled what looks to be a glass bottle with a pitch-black material inside of it.

"Yashaemon, allow me to enter your domain.After this, things are going to become messy," he questioned. his hand still clutching the bottle. "Ushi, you're welcome as well."

Yashaemon took a moment to consider before drawing his blade and flinging it open, severing a large hole in the air. The slice of his blade had created a tear that went to another place."What are your plans, gray?" he asked, drawing back his blade.

Is this the time we meet with the person who has the ability to heal you? He wasn't friendly, though, and getting him to come with me required a lot of work.

After then, each of them goes through the portal to the player realm known as the domain. It was an isolated space that was only open to the player who owned it and those who were granted permission to enter by the owner. a safe haven where players can defend themselves against other players.

0