Chapter 8
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8

The deal start

As they entered, a new space unfolded before them—a closed indoor room suffused with the tranquility of traditional Japanese design. The rift behind them sealed shut, enclosing them within.

Gray inhaled deeply, his words tinged with nostalgia. "It's been a long time since I've been here. This place hasn't changed at all," he remarked, casting his gaze around the wooden room. It exuded an air of serenity, with the scent of burnt incense mingling with the fragrant aroma of wood and herbs.

The room was devoid of people, yet filled with the soothing sounds of running water and the gentle clatter of bamboo sōzu striking rocks. Each movement of the sōzu, filling and emptying with water, added to the peaceful ambiance, evoking a sense of Zen-like tranquility that enveloped the space. For Gray, the atmosphere carried a hint of nostalgia, transporting him back to moments long past.

"Let's not waste any time. "We have to begin right away," Gray said, hurling the bottle he was holding. It broke on impact and spilled its contents, a thick black liquid that bubbled and rolled and seemed alive.

Curious but somewhat worried about the ominous aura exuded by the black liquid , Yashaemon watched the scene unfold. "What are you exactly planning, Gray?" he said, not quite understanding Gray's motivations. Even though he knew Gray wanted to help, he couldn't resist asking for more information.

"You'll soon understand," Gray replied vaguely, his gaze fixed on the swirling black substance. Gradually, It came together to create a figure, an androgynous creature whose gender was unclear until they spoke.

Emerging from the inky liquid, the figure voiced his dissatisfaction with Gray's actions in a tone that belied their delicate appearance. "Goddammit Gray! If I were claustrophobic, you'd be dead meat!" He exclaimed, his voice possessing a masculine timbre despite their slender frame and attractive features.

The figure shot out of the dark liquid, ready to lash out at Gray for keeping him in a bottle. But when he looked into his surroundings, his anger gave way to curiosity. He discovered that he was in a strange location. 

He was ready to lose it over Gray trapping him in a bottle, but he quickly looked around. It clicked on him that this was somewhere he had never gone before. “Where is this, this isn’t my home. Where did you take me?"  

"Calm down," Gray said, trying to defuse the situation. "I told you that there was a guest we were meeting with. This is his domain—Coalescence Sword Palace, Shien Dojo. Did I get that right, Yashaemon?" he directed the question to their host.

Yashaemon nodded affirmatively. "Indeed, you are correct, Gray. And to our unexpected guest, I bid you welcome to my humble abode," he greeted the newcomer, extending a gesture of hospitality.

A player possesses the ability to conjure an isolated and enclosed space known as an Inner Domain or Divine Realm. This unique capability is typically facilitated by their weapon or items with specialized abilities designed to create such spaces. Alternatively, certain skills or abilities, although rare, may also enable the creation of Inner Domains, though such powers are typically limited to specialized classes proficient in dimension magic and space manipulation.

An Inner Domain serves as a sanctuary where players can seek refuge from others, offering a secure haven within the virtual world. In the case of the Coalescence Sword Palace, Shien Dojo, it is an Inner Domain forged by Yashaemon's world item, Mikazuki (Crescent Moon Sword). Among the legendary Tenka-Goken, the five greatest swords under heaven, Mikazuki possesses the unique property of cutting through anything, including the fabric of space itself. With this ability, Yashaemon can cleave through space, opening a rift to create the Coalescence Sword Palace, Shien Dojo—an Inner Domain in the shape of a Dojo inside a temple that is closed from the outside world.

As the intermediary between the two players, Gray facilitated the introduction of the individual he had brought to Yashaemon, presenting him as the solution to his dilemma. "Allow me to introduce him to you. This is Tang Beomryong, a Poison Artist, player rank 34," Gray announced, gesturing towards the newcomer.

Tang Beomryong bowed respectfully, adopting a demeanor of politeness and deference that contrasted with his earlier behavior with Gray. "It's a pleasure to meet you, esteemed ruler of the setting sun. Please forgive any previous rudeness," he expressed with graciousness, extending his greetings to Yashaemon, who reciprocated the gesture..

Gray couldn't resist a sarcastic comment, quipping, "If only you behaved like that all the time." Tang Beomryong merely scoffed in response, choosing to focus on the matter at hand. "How may I be of assistance to you, Sir?" he inquired, addressing Yashaemon with sincerity.

Observing Tang Beomryong's rank, Yashaemon realized that the individual before him held significant prowess in Arcadia. In this realm, achieving a rank within the top 100 of the global PvP leaderboard earned one the esteemed title of a "ranker." This denoted formidable strength and skill in combat. Moreover, Tang Beomryong's keen eye detected the poison coursing through Yashaemon's body, prompting him to pose a question that caught Yashaemon off guard: “Why haven't you sought the antidote from the one who poisoned you?”

Though the solution seems clear—enemies would not likely voluntarily offer a cure to their victims—Yashaemon felt Tang Beomryong's question was not quite so simple. "No," he snapped back, making it clear that his attacker was, in fact, an enemy.

But Tang Beomryong continued to tell Yashaemon about an intriguing fact about his predicament. "Did you know? The cure to this type of poison must be mandatorily provided by the enemies. It was an agreement that was predetermined by the players after the awakening, which dates back several millennia to the aftermath of the Great War," the speaker clarified.

It came out of nowhere, he had just met with him and didn't have the chance to speak anything about it, and yet, he threw a curveball with a hidden fact he didn't know about.

Yashaemon was left utterly bewildered by Tang Beomryong's revelation. His mind raced, struggling to comprehend the gravity of the situation. "What...? What do you mean?" he stammered, his voice tinged with disbelief.

"It's radiation poisoning, Sir. You've been afflicted with nuclear radiation—not your typical poison," Tang Beomryong explained matter-of-factly. "There are few skills or magic that could achieve this, but it seems your enemy opted for the extreme measure of using radioactive material to poison you. They went to great lengths to ensure your demise."

The revelation hit Yashaemon like a tidal wave, leaving him stunned and reeling. Could it be true? Had he been unknowingly battling this deadly force all along? "Are you saying I've been dealing with that this whole time?" he asked, his voice trembling with uncertainty.

"Yes, indeed. I possess skills such as [Poison Detection] and [Toxicology], allowing me to discern such substances," Tang Beomryong confirmed. "And what afflicts you isn't registered in my records, indicating it's either a form of radiation poisoning or an entirely new type of poison—though the latter is highly improbable."

Then, out of thin air, Tang Beomryong created a white lily, holding it out to Yashaemon while its fragile petals quivered. Examining the flower revealed its straightforward description: [White Lily]. Tang Beomryong urged, "Pay attention to this," as he moved the blossom closer to Yashaemon's body. The perfect flower shriveled and wilted almost immediately, its once-vibrant petals curled inward on themselves.

"We have made it illegal to use or apply nuclear weapons. As you can see, their consequences on the environment are severe and will last for millennia," Tang Beomryong stated gravely.

Then he pulled out something else from his sleeve, a tiny box with an inset ethereal green sphere. "Although I am unable to provide a cure, have you thought of the Trial of Rebirth? Why not begin again with a new body instead of going through the difficult process of purging your body of radiation?" he proposed.

Gray cut in abruptly, his voice full of skepticism. "Please wait a moment. You do understand what that means, don't you? Are you suggesting that he commit suicide?" The sudden suggestion was startling, and the implications too great to be ignored.

Indeed, when a player died, their territorial holdings were relinquished, leaving their land vulnerable to occupation by other players. The Land of the Setting Sun would be left unguarded during Yashaemon's treatment, posing a significant risk to everything he held dear.

"I understand what you're suggesting, but it's not that simple," Gray retorted sharply. The notion seemed absurd to him – to suggest such a drastic measure to a figure burdened with immense responsibility. It was akin to a doctor advising a patient to replace their organs rather than treating the ailment.

In the era when Arkadia was merely a game, there existed an item known as the [Trial of Rebirth]. This item allowed players to reset their characters' stats, levels, titles, and acquired skills. It provided a convenient means of refining one's character without starting anew, allowing players to redistribute their skill and experience points as desired. Character customization became significantly more manageable with its introduction.

However, following the merger of Arkadia into the real world, everything changed. The [Trial of Rebirth] now posed a grave risk to players, as it required them to temporarily die before undergoing the reset process. The consequences of using the item were dire, making it a risky gamble for any player daring enough to attempt it.

"Perhaps we should consider other alternatives before resorting to such drastic measures," Gray suggested, his tone weighted with concern.

Yashaemon interjected, offering his perspective on the matter. "The notion of using the trial has crossed my mind several times. It would undoubtedly provide a swift solution to our predicament. However, I harbor reservations about its feasibility."

Drawing his sword from its scabbard, Yashaemon showcased Mikazuki to his companions. The blade emitted a mesmerizing glow, reminiscent of moonlight reflecting off water. "As you are aware, this country lies within my realm. I have erected a barrier around it, using the power of this very sword," Yashaemon explained, his expression grave as he locked eyes with Gray. "While the barrier is formidable, its integrity is contingent upon my own life. Should I perish, the barrier would collapse, leaving our country vulnerable to external threats."

His words hung in the air, the weight of their implications sinking in as the group absorbed his explanation. It was evident that Yashaemon had more to divulge, and all present braced themselves for the revelation that they were about to hear.

"However, that assumes I still possess the thing. What if I was not carrying the object anymore? When I passed away, it would continue function. Additionally, as a result of that..."

"What are you implying, Yashaemon?" They questioned him. They anticipated its arrival and waited for it.

Subsequently, Yashaemon extended his sword, taking it from his belt and disarming it.

The sword was no longer attached to his waist, but it remained his weapon until Gray agreed to accept the item transfer. "I shall impart the ownership of this sword to you, Gray," he stated.

Would you be willing to help me out with this?" He waited for Gray's answer while he asked the question.

Everybody sees this coming. Even if the sword's owner is changed, the effects of the weapon and the barrier won't disappear, regardless of whether the former owner puts the sword into a dormant condition.

Still, it unnerved him to think that Yashaemon would trust Gray to this degree. "Are you certain you want to give me such an important item? Despite the fact that you don't have many options in this situation, is this still what you want to do?”

"Yes, since you are willing to help me, I should also give you my trust, please take this sword with you"

[Player Yashaemon transfers the ownership of an item, Mikazuki (World rarity)] 

[Would you like to take it?]

[Accept/Deny]

Gray was notified of the item transfer through a pop-up system window. Just like that, he was actually going to receive a world item. Despite striving to gather them for millennia, he never once imagined it would be this simple to obtain one. Of course, though, this item comes with a great deal of responsibility. He must bear the weight of the entire nation's fate, which puts a tremendous burden on his back.

"Alright, I'll take it...." Gray is determined not to let this chance go away. He wants nothing more in the world than to have his trust, which he presently has. Without hesitation, he tapped "Accept" on the system window to accept the item transfer.

As soon as he had the sword, he grabbed it with his hand. The sword struck back. It continued to tremble, as though it preferred to fly out of his fingers rather than remain in his grasp. In addition, the blade felt far heavier than it appeared to be. It became challenging to be used by him.

"I see, it has its own ego huh..."

Such a weapon has free will and a thinking of its own. The majority of legendary or worldly items have free will and will select their own owner or wielder. If the individual didn't satisfy the requirements to have the things, they may even reject the person holding it outright, preventing it from being equipped.

This occurs as a result of the owner not meeting the necessary requirements to utilize the item. Usually, it includes meeting the necessary stats, classes, or titles. Alternatively, the weapon would just pick its owners at random based just on self-interest.

Luckily, Gray was exempt from this. He talked to the blade, tightening his grasp, telling it to "stay still and obey me will you. I swear to give you back to him after keeping you for a little while. So grant me your strength."

The blade then stopped striving and grew quiet, as if it understood what he had said. . Gray then placed it inside his Treasury to safeguard the blade. It is now officially listed as one of his assets that he has the authority to call for from the Treasury.

  

Treasurer has a unique quality that sets them apart from the other classes. 

Even if the weapon was actively attempting to reject Gray, Gray could still grip it. Gray is unable to equip the blade in the conventional manner. Because of his class, he is permitted to carry the weapon around and handle it like a valuable object that belongs in his Treasury. Giving him the item's temporary ownership.

He could get around all rules and limitations to utilize whatever he wanted, even though usage was restricted.

The skill was named [Assets Safekeeping].

At that point, the item was successfully added to his Treasury. Additionally, the details and synopsis of it became visible to him.

Gray reassuringly replied, "Don't worry Yashaemon, we will take care of everything." He faced an individual who had been observing the entire time. Yoshitsune takes a turn to become involved in the issue they were handling.

0