Author Note
49 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Making this into a separate chapter because it's big, but anyway, as promised, here is a better, more in-depth view of the magic of the universe, since it's a big part of the story.

Also, before we start with the magical stuff, chapter nineteen marks the end of the first arc of the story, and I wanted to mention that Varzath will be a kid for a bit, which means no sex for the second arc (which is about thirteen chapters or so)... Don't worry, things pick up again after that.

 

Magic Schools and Their Specialties (*Keep it in mind, this is just an overview)

 

Elemental Schools

 

Fire Magic (Can teleport, when combined with Space Magic): Main strength lies in creation; aka throwing fireballs around, in this case. Good for movement and attack (since it can teleport), but terrible defenses.

Water Magic (Cannot Teleport): Main strength lies in creation and healing. Terrible movement, since it cannot teleport, and tends to have neglectable attacks unless mastered to its highest potential, but its defenses are only matched by Earth Magic.

Wind Magic (Cannot Teleport): Main strength lies in environmental control, movement, and can do some healing. Good attack, defense, and movement, but can lose on any single area to other types, making for a balanced school. Also, it can produce invisible attacks, so... Pretty scary to fight against, especially as a non-mage.

Earth Magic (Cannot Teleport): Main strength lies in environmental control. Possess the best defenses, and decent attacks, but somewhat terrible movement.

Ice Magic (Cannot Teleport): Main strength lies in creation. Good offense and defense, but usually lacking in movement.

Electric Magic (Cannot Teleport): Main strength lies in creation and physical enhancement, although it can also call to other sources of electricity in order to increase output (well, most elemental schools focused on creation can also do that, but not as effectively). It is considered as having the strongest attack (although somewhat weak against Earth Magic, for obvious reasons), at least from among elemental schools, but no defense to speak of. Good movement, and can do some healing, just like Wind Magic.

 

Special Schools (These tend to be rarer and much harder to master):

 

Mind Magic: Main strength lies in communication, information gathering, and sense distortion (talked about it before, so I'll keep it brief here).

Spatial Magic: Known as the hardest school to master, even when compared with other special schools. Its main uses revolve around gravity manipulation, spatial distortion (creating pocket dimensions, rooms that are bigger on the inside than they look from the outside, etc), and teleportation. Possess strong everything once mastered, but almost no one gets there so it is considered to have a supporting role, often altering attack spells to make them stronger.

Holy Magic (Can Teleport): Specializes in healing, physical strengthening, and burning demons to cinders. It comes naturally to angels, but humans have a hard time mastering it, and can only use it by selling their souls to Heaven to begin with.

Shadow Magic (Can Teleport): Specializes in creation and manipulation of shadows (take from that what you will; the point is, it can do a lot). Comes naturally for most demons, but human contractors may also tap into it.

Fey Magic (Can most definitely teleport): Sort of a broad term for anything from Elysium, or other Planes outside the Cosmos as demons and angels know it. Tends to be more malleable (if human mages bind mana to their will, seeking to control it, fairies, for example, sort of ask for it to help them... Which is to say, unless your name is Saendara, you don't wanna mess with fairies).

Illusion Magic: Sort of an awkward one. Tends to be used with Mind Magic often as a way to distort an enemy's senses, but thanks to Mind Shields, as well as a plethora of easily cast counter spells, it is often ineffective against mages and magical creatures.

Soul Magic: Advanced stuff. Probably won't show up in the story much, other than in the first arc.

Ancient Magic: Kind of associated with Soul Magic, but usually refers to stuff that has been around for a veeeeeery long time (Demon summonings and demon contracts are examples of Ancient Magic).

 

Additional Notes

 

*It befits a mage to find ways to overcome the shortcomings of their main school of magic, either by tapping into other schools or creating modified spells (which is more or less the same thing at the end of the day).

*The Cosmos is vast, and Elysium even more so (meaning, if I think of other schools of magic later, I'll add them to the list).

*Will talk more about how casting a spell works in the following arcs, so don’t worry too much about it.

*Every mage worthy of the title can create a Mana Shield (the strength of which varies greatly depending on the mage's degree of magic mastery and mana capacity), so everybody has at least some defense ability. However, Mana Shields are expensive in terms of mana usage and are sort of considered a noob thing, as most advanced mages will have more flexible and/or cheaper means of defense (In Varzath’s case, he has his puppets and an abundant amount of mana, hence the reason he chooses to use them).

*This might be fairly obvious, but schools specialized in creation mean they can create something from nothing, while environmental control means they need their element to already exist around.

*In the case of schools which cannot teleport, their mages must rely on pure spatial magic mastery to do so, which tends to be harder to master and use.

0