33. Feeling The Side Branch’s Situation
156 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Hikari transitioned from the Main Branch's residential area, known for its grandeur and prestige, to multiple times larger but less illustrious Side Branch residential area within the Hyuga compound, the shift was obvious.

The Main Branch homes, characterized by their grand architecture and spotless gardens, stood as a testament to the members' elite status within the clan.

These buildings, with their imposing presence, were meticulously maintained, embodying the pride and distinction of the Main Branch lineage.

Venturing further, the environment transformed as Hikari entered the Side Branch domain. Here, the residences were modest and densely packed, a contrast to the spacious elegance of the Main Branch.

This area buzzed with activity, a vibrant community pulse that was absent in the more reserved Main Branch quarters.

As Hikari walked through the compound, his distinctive features and attire drew attention.

Despite the passage of three years, his appearance was notably consistent with his younger self, marked by the same striking short, messy blue hair that seemed to catch the light in a unique way, and his white eyes that held a depth beyond his years.

His growth was evident not just in stature but in the poise with which he carried himself.

Now, donned in formal dark blue robes, his attire elevated his presence, blending the traditional elegance of the Hyuga with a touch of his personal style.

The robes, carefully chosen for the previous occasion, signified his increasing importance within the clan and his adherence to its customs, while also hinting at his unique identity within the traditional framework.

As Hikari walked through the densely populated areas of the Side Branch toward his destination, his passage sparked a mix of surprise and reverence among its residents.

The sight of him, a Main Branch member with an 'unmarked' forehead, navigating the lanes of the Side Branch, was not a common occurrence.

Then the realization that this young figure, devoid of the Cursed Seal, was none other than Hikari Hyuga caused a stir among those he passed by.

Recognizing him, some children playing in the area hastily cleared a path, under the warnings of their parents, while adults and youngsters alike paused to offer salutations, addressing him with a respectful "Hikari-sama."

This level of deference was not solely due to his lineage or his clean forehead; it stemmed from the growing awareness of Hikari's distinct stance within the clan dynamics.

Unlike his parents, who were known for their advocacy for the Side Branch members, Hikari had also demonstrated his willingness to employ the Cursed Seal Command, marking a departure from his parents' legacy.

This action, combined with his undeniable talent, created a complex mixture of fear and respect towards him.

In the eyes of many within the Side Branch, Hikari's current status and power were now only overshadowed by Hiashi, the heir apparent to the patriarchal title and the 'face' of the clan's future.

As the designated future Third Elder, Hikari's rapid ascent was also boosted by unprecedented support from the Elder Council and the Main Branch, who lavished him with resources and privileges to ensure his success while promoting him as a genius of historical significance inside the clan.

As Hikari made his way toward the 'Hyuga Medical Research Institute' for his advanced medical jutsu classes, for the first time, he walked through the busy streets within the compound's Side Branch area where that faculty was established in the first place. 

The Side Branch members living here were different from those Hikari encountered within the Main Branch living spaces, where they mostly served as servants, attendants, or workers for the various Main Lineage estates and their businesses directly. The majority of them led fully civilian lives, many without even activating their Byakugan.

However, there were also still some trained 'bodyguards' affiliated with the Main Lineages residing within the Main Branch areas as well. Their family served various specific Main Linages for generations. They were the only two groups living there in Hikari's perception.

Hikari was also mostly familiar with those two groups of Side Branch members until today when he ventured this deeply into the Side Branch members' own majority living area.

It was different here, as here, the Side Branch members, unlike the servants and attendants in the Main Branch quarters, lived with significantly more independence and 'dignity in his opinion. This section of the clan was populated largely by trained fighters and shinobi in supporting roles, all of whom had activated their Byakugan and had some advanced skills.

Many among them also served in various capacities within the village, reflecting their broader contribution to both the clan and Konoha. This contribution awarded them a degree of autonomy and 'respect' not afforded to their counterparts in domestic servitude under the Main Branch families, due to their higher 'value' and the need of the Hyuga clan to consider Konoha's face at least a little bit while dealing with them, recently more and more so too.

The trained members of the Side Branch were vital to the clan's martial strength and the village's defenses, which naturally elevated their status and granted them more freedom. They were not subject to the stringent punishments meted out for minor errors by the Main Branch 'masters'. But, it still didn't mean they were completely spared from it either.

And not only the Cursed Seal activation but also the existence of private clan 'prisons' and the implementation of internal clan laws for disciplining members were aspects of clan autonomy that Konoha's leadership couldn't easily influence or challenge.

Each major clan, including the Hyuga, had developed its own set of rules and penalties to deal with internal matters, ensuring that discipline and order were maintained within their ranks without external interference.

This system allowed clans to enforce their traditions and standards, handling everything from minor infractions to more serious offenses in ways that reflected their unique values and histories. 

The Side Branch members who had betrayed Hikari's parents faced such a strict punishment within the clan's private prison. This action sent a clear message about the consequences of disloyalty and betrayal toward the Main Branch.

During this time, Hikari observed the nuanced atmosphere within the Side Branch area, noticeably affected by the nearing end of the Second Shinobi World War.

Many Side Branch shinobi were returning home, bearing the scars and disabilities of war. It was unprecedented in the clan's history for such a significant portion of the Side Branch members, nearly half of them, to participate in the war, while the Main Branch members remained safely within the compound, not required to join the fight at any point of the war.

This disparity created a subtle tension in the air as Hikari, a Main Branch member, passed through the area. Despite the lack of overt disrespect—no Side Branch member would dare show such insubordination—their inner feelings were nonetheless perceptible to Hikari.

His ability to read microexpressions allowed him to detect the undercurrents of discontent and perhaps a sense of injustice among the Side Branch members, who bore the physical costs of war while the Main Branch remained fully untouched by its direct consequences.

Moreover, the financial compensation provided to the Hyuga clan by Konoha and the Daimyo for sending troops into the war primarily benefitted the Main Branch.

The Hyuga Council, consisting of Main Branch Elders who oversaw the clan's budget and finances, received the lion's share of this compensation, despite not contributing personnel to the war effort.

This disparity extended to peacetime operations as well; the Council took a significant portion of the earnings from missions completed by Side Branch members.

The procedure was such that mission salaries were first sent to the Council from the Hokage's office, allowing them to take their cut before passing the remainder to the Side Branch members who performed the missions. 

However, Hikari actually saw nothing wrong with the practice of the Main Branch controlling the clan's finances and decision-making, viewing it as justified since the clan's bloodline, resources, and training all elevated the Side Branch members, allowing them to become valuable shinobi, receiving considerable higher payouts than civilian shinobi for example.

They also enjoyed the clan's protection and many other hidden social services within the clan premises that come exactly from that joint clan's budget and weren't obvious at first. 

He reasoned that the clan's investment in their development warranted a return through mission payouts and war compensations, which actually the Main Branch just happened to manage for some reason.

However, even if it was not managed in that manner, the joint clan budget would still need to exists like in all other major clan's in the Konoha due to obvious reasons. And it existed in fact, and it was also closely managed by their versions of Elder Councils and Patriarchs. 

In Hikari's eyes, the distinction between Main and Side Branches was also likely a product of some secret historical agreements, suggesting that the current system was established for a reason, possibly for the clan's overall benefit. 

Otherwise, logically thinking, how could the main and side branch distinction even come about in the Hyuga clan, if not some collective decision for such a system being made during historical times due to some strange mystery?

After all, no one would brand themselves with that mark on the forehead willingly for some reason, the ancestors of the Side Branch must've also agreed to such practices in the past. 

 

Up To 60 Advanced Chapters Available Here:

http://patreon.com/hanma_jack

8