Chapter 34 – Killing rats and Easter Event.
486 5 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A large TV is on within a warehouse, two familiar beds can be seen in the warehouse with barely anything else. A man is laying a top the bed while the other bed is empty, there’s a familiar smell wafting from the man while he’s laughing at something on his phone.

“Jeez, where has Jack been? Doesn’t he know that your bodies need food and water regularly?” the man says while taking a long drag of his ‘cigarette’ before holding it, taking a drink of the 2 litre coke by his side and letting out a cough as more smoke wafts through the building. It takes a lot of effort to fill this giant warehouse with that much smoke but given the piles of food by his side, much time has been spent on this project.

“It’s that time of year, the Easter bunny is set to deliver chocolate and other goodies to children all over the country” a news anchor starts talking on TV.

“It appears that even virtual worlds are going to be impacted by the Easter bunny this year, many online games have yearly events to celebrate this time but everyone’s attention is on ‘The Secret World Online’ where over 1 million people have started playing it” the anchors talk between themselves.

“That’s right, we have received word from the company that launched ‘The Secret World Online’ they will have the biggest Easter Event ever with special prizes including many on offer within the real world”

“There will be rabbits to find all over the game world that will provide bonus items and points allowing you to redeem them for even greater prizes or bonuses. There will be an Easter Egg decoration competition offered within the virtual world and real world.”

“Where will people be able to find information about all these great events?”

“You will be able to find them posted on ‘The Secret World Online’ website and all across social media including our very own news website where we are also running a competition for hundreds of copies of ‘The Secret World Online’.” The news anchors move onto the next segment.

John ignored the TV and is instead focused on his laptop, many people are talking about the Easter event trying to work out the details, the information provided about the event is at follows:

An Easter special event!

 

As a way to say thank you to all the players beta testers and all the brand-new players that have already started playing 'The Secret World Online', we are announcing a special beginner event offered to all players!

 

Between this Saturday (11th 00:00:01) and lasting until the following Sunday (19th 23:59:59), players will be able to acquire special rewards in-game and real-life for simply participating:

 

Special Rabbits will appear on open plains area across the world, some will be as tiny as a flea and some will be as big as a mountain so keep your eyes open in case you miss a special rabbit!

 

OR

 

Decorate an egg and compete at your local (system) city with winners eligible for special prizes! (Winner to be decided by City Lord or equivalent)

 

Each rabbit will drop items upon successfully capturing them without injuring them!

 

They are quick and have a mean kick so if you injure them, not only will you not be rewarded, you might even lose something!

 

Easter Eggs dropped by Special Rabbits can be used to provide special buffs and items to individuals, their subordinates, their village or even kingdom.

 

Easter Eggs dropped by Special Rabbits can be combined together and upgrade their quality for better buffs and items!

 

Look out for the secret chocolate bunny, there's only 10 in both worlds and they can appear anywhere!

 

Participation is by: Players and their subordinate forces with loyalty above 90%

 

REWARD INFORMATION IS PROVIDED IN GAME.

 

Most people are complaining about the lack of information but that doesn’t stop people from making plans with many people trying to acquire information about plains areas, how rabbits behave within ‘The World’ and even more are trying to learn how to trap rabbits using non-lethal traps.

The three largest teams within ‘The Secret World Online’ at the moment are preparing especially hard, they have either acquired a legacy village or some sort of special item upon starting to play hence are in a much better position. They start to mobilize their forces causing unrest across countless regions within both worlds.

"Where the hell is Jack? He's missing out on all this important info" John says to himself while browsing the various forums that have popped up while Jack has been within the game world.

While all of this is going on, Jack has finally arrived at the site of the first kobold village, Jessica and Mai are both lost in their own worlds. Mai is happily sucking Jack’s thumb still, well happily sucking the blood within his thumb and Jessica is quiet while she is resting her head against Jack’s back smelling his neck slowly losing herself in the moment.

They arrive before a small rocky area that has been decided as the first of the first kobold village, it’s roughly 20 minutes away from Dragon – Phoenix village on the back of Sleipner allowing people to shift between the two villages quickly if needed.

“HYAA” *sounds of sword cutting into flesh*

There are two squads of soldiers fighting close by and upon hearing the sounds of fighting Mai and Jessica are drawn out of their worlds, Mai looks around but she almost instantly looks bored as these monsters are at such a low level.

Jessica is looking around but a vicious glint can be seen entering her eyes, “Time for paying you disgusting rats” she can be heard muttering while laughing softly to herself.

“Well, here we are” Jack stops Sleipner near the other horses, he will be able to act as a guard for the horses freeing up the soldier’s concentration.

“Ehh it’s only giant rats, elder sister could kill them all with a single glance” Mai cross her arms showing her disdain for the monsters before them.

“Rats are disgusting and evil, they always ate the best fruits off the peach trees and always ruined some yearly harvests causing people to starve, we must kill them all” Jessica says while jumping off Sleipner grabbing a spear before running off to the closest rat.

Jack raises his eyebrow upon seeing Jessica grab a spear and run away, he doesn’t want to be left behind so takes an ant sword and follows after her. Mai jumps off Sleipner into one of the few trees that are around, quietly putting some tiny needles in between her fingers.

“HAAA” Jessica can be heard stabbing with an awkward motion towards the rat that easily dodges the stab. She pulls back for another stab but the rat leaps towards her head, she is caught off guard and attempts to block the rat.

*SWISH*

Jack catches up to Jessica desperately and stabs the rat in the head before she is able to get hurt, his expression is one of panic because he never expected Jessica to just start attacking the closest rat. Jessica gets splashed with some blood from the rat but she retains that vicious glint in her eyes as she charges out towards the next rat.

*THUD*

Her spear lands in the dirt missing the rat, just like before the rat attempts to jump up and attack her head but this time she is ready, having let go of the spear she calls upon a fireball in her hand and quickly launches it at the rat.

*BOOOM*

The hot yet cold, white fireball lands on the rat causing its body to explode launching all of the body parts over the area, many of them covering Jessica and Jack leaving them bloodied and gory. Jessica starts to laugh, “This is payback bitches” as she pulls out the spear and starts to chase another rat, if she doesn’t land the spear, she follows it up with a quick fireball.

The area quickly gets gory with rat body parts and internal organs strewn everywhere, the blood making the area appear like a bloodied battlefield compared to just rat clearing. Jessica is covered with blood, Jack is covered with blood from what Jessica is doing as he follows after her, striking down rats as he sees them using his basic sword techniques instead of using fireballs.

“Die, die, all of you die!” Jessica rushes around almost shocking Jack at how much she has changed, she has gone from a lovable girl into a reckless killing machine covered with blood like some sort of evil creature.

*SWISH*

Jack lets out another sword strike at a slow-moving rat, upon looking closely Jack is able to see that the rat has several needles stabbed into its eyes and ears. Looking above him, he is able to see Mai in a tree not too far away giving him a wave before jumping onto another branch throwing out more needles allowing some soldiers to easily kill a rat that was giving them pressure.

The trio continue to support the soldiers and the area slowly becomes clearer, Jack decides that it’s good enough and they should probably move onto the next area and tries to gather Jessica and Mai.

“Jessica!” Jack runs up to Jessica as she’s pulling her spear out of a rat, after killing around 40 rats she has acquired some skills with the spear but it’s still just random stabs. Jessica stops what she is doing and looks at Jack coldly.

“What?” she asks him, not losing the cold glint in her eye as though Jack is a stranger.

“What do you mean what? We have to go to the next area.”

Jessica snorts before turning away and letting out several fireballs that hit some of the remaining rats.

Jack grabs her shoulder while asking, “What is going on with you?”

Jessica’s body is suddenly covered with the white flame from her cultivation technique, it’s incredibly hot but Jack grits his teeth and withstands it turning Jessica towards him, she is looking at him coldly but her eyes have sign of a struggle.

Her eyes stop struggling as they return to her gentle normal look but the white flame around her doesn’t disappear, the temperature fluctuates stronger and she starts to panic, she can feel that the qi needs to escape somewhere but she isn’t able to control it anymore.

Jack has no better idea and before their clothes both burn away, he tries what has worked a few times before. He brings their faces together for a kiss, their mouths meeting and allowing the qi an escape path.

Jessica can feel the roiling qi start to leave her body and escape into Jack’s mouth, Jack can feel the phoenix qi enter his body but he focuses and forces it all to enter his forehead stars. The two stand there covered with the dissipating flame for several moments before everything returns to normal and the two part.

“What happened?” Jack asks her cautiously watching her expression.

Jessica closes her mind and tries to recount the feelings, “It’s like my mind was invaded by thoughts of everything here being beneath me, even you were just a lowly human…”

Jack is familiar with this sort of thing, it sounds like when he was impacted by the dragon qi being unbalanced in his body but Jessica doesn’t have dragon qi, ‘is it that phoenix qi has similar effects when something gets unbalanced?’, he starts to think about the possibilities but deciding it’s not the time to investigate it, he steps forward and gives her a hug.

“Just think of all these things as sort of tests” He softly says reassuring her, they’re both new to cultivation and it appears that it’s not just a case of practicing until you get stronger, it will involve personal challenges and tests along the way.

“Are you going to mate? You should probably clean the blood up first but I want to watch!” Mai can be heard shouting from the tree nearby, this causes Jack and Jessica to part again and look at each other.

They both are truly dirty covered in blood with Jessica having pieces of cooked entrails on her robe which she is slowly picking off her robe with an embarrassed look.

“It doesn’t matter how dirty we are and no we’re not going to do that now, so get down here!” Jack shouts towards the girl.

Mai jumps down with a teasing look towards Jessica who turns away when their eyes meet, causing the girl to have a pleased smile on her face. They shortly get reorganised putting all of their weapons back onto Sleipner and prepare to head to the next village site.

Goblins can be seen around the village site cleaning up all the dead bodies of the rats, collecting dropped items as the soldiers prepare to go to the next site, the rat nest hasn’t been located yet but the bulk of the rats have been killed so it wont an issue for some time.

The goblins proceed to butcher the rats on site, many of the humans within the village will not eat rat meat but goblins and kobolds will gladly eat the meat they reject and with many hundreds of kobolds due to arrive, they will need a supply of food other than what they’re locally producing.

Each rat dropped between 1 copper and 4 copper coins each, some of them dropped items but it was simple low-grade items such as ‘Rat Teeth’ and ‘Rat Tail’ that can be used in alchemy, but the alchemy recipes that use those items are considered junk too.

They spent roughly 30 minutes at the first village site, Jack and Jessica roughly killed 60 rats each while Mai didn’t kill any but she was able to assist soldiers greatly reducing their injuries.

The trio mount Sleipner and proceed onto the next village site, the one where there are signs of a giant beast lurking around.

‘SYSTEM ANNOUNCEMENT – There is a special event commencing soon! Please check your city heart for information!’

 

Shorter chapter today

Spoiler

I honestly just wanted to spend all day in bed.

[collapse]

, decided to do an Easter event because it can answer some plot problems I had.

If you have any suggestions for 'real world' competing teams, I'd love to hear them such as fictional; financial groups, e-sports teams and other large organisations.

I want to avoid the nationalist focus Chinese novels tend to have, people tend to rally around 'their team' in a similar fashion with sports and such so that's my idea.

Spoiler

The AI hivemind within Jack's body might be getting a presence in the game soon but I don't know if that's throwing in too much, if you feel like giving an opinion on it I can send you a copy of the outline so send me a message if you'd like to.

[collapse]

10