Volume 02 Chapter 14 [Volume 02 Completed]
27 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After finishing my communication with the deity, I emerged from the gate and arrived at the Silver Dragon Pavilion.

 

"Phew, I made it just in time."

 

"I'm back!" I called out as I entered.

 

"Welcome back. I thought you weren't coming back today," the impertinent old lady remarked as she handed me the key. Seriously, hasn't her tone changed at all?

 

"Well, it was a bit of a day, but I managed to make it back by nine," I replied.

 

"Hmm. Whatever happens to you doesn't concern me, but don't go worrying your close ones," she said with a sigh.

 

"Alright, I understand."

 

In this world, I don't have anyone close to me, but... maybe she's worried about me in her own way?

 

As I pondered, I accepted the key.

 

"The bath is ready, so get in before it cools down!"

 

"Huh? The bath? Can I really take a bath?"

 

This inn has a bath! That's awesome! Thanks for the recommendation, Lady Aina!!... Wait! This isn't going to end up with me being billed later, is it?

 

Seeing me suspicious, the old lady snapped at me.

 

"What are you suspecting?! Offering baths for free is one of the selling points of this place! However, whether you borrow or buy soap, towels, and bathing sets from me, or bring your own, it's up to you! You can't enter the bath without bathing essentials!"

 

With that said, she took out a bathing set from under the counter and practically thrust it at me.

 

"A reused rental bath set costs five copper coins, while a new one costs eight copper coins. So, what'll it be?"

 

Is this old lady trying to make me buy something...? Too bad, old lady.

 

"I have my own, so I'm good."

 

I said as I opened my shop, summoned a bath set, sponge, and towel, and showed them to the old lady.

 

"Hmm... I see you have your own. Then go ahead and take a bath quickly."

 

Oh? Surprisingly straightforward response. It's a bit frustrating, actually.

 

"Big sister~!"

 

"Huh?!"

 

Lima-chan clung to my stomach... no, she charged at me and then looked up at me.

 

"Welcome back!"

 

"I'm home, Lima-chan."

 

Normally, I should scold her, but seeing this smile, I can't help but forgive her. Is it because of maternal instincts?

 

"Jeez, Lima, you—"

 

The moment Lima-chan saw the old lady's stern face, she hid behind me. Seeing her action, the old lady stared at me.

 

Stop, it's not my fault.

 

"Hey... you."

 

For some reason, the old lady looked at me with a different, bewildered expression than before.

 

"Yes, what is it?"

 

"It's convenient timing. Please take Lima to the bath."

 

Wait! Is this lady really entrusting Lima-chan to me?

 

"I'm going to bathe with big sister! Yay!"

 

Yay?! Lima-chan, are you really excited about that?

 

"Um, shouldn't you let her parents do that?"

 

"Lima's parents are not here right now."

"Oh! Did I just say something awful?"

"Um... I... I spoke without thinking. I apologize."

I bowed my head towards the old lady.

"Huh? What on earth are you imagining?"

"Umm..."

As I lifted my head, I was met with the old lady's fierce expression.

"If you're thinking that Lima's parents are dead, you're mistaken!!"

"I-Is that so?"

"Yeah!! They're both out working, and I'm just taking care of Lima!! What a weird thing to imagine, honestly!!"

Oh, so that was the reason.

"I see. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding."

I bowed my head again, and the old lady, placing her hands on her hips, continued to glare at me.

"Hmph! If you understand, hurry up and take Lima to the bath! It'll be troublesome if it's cold when I get in."

"Come on, big sis... let's go quickly!"

Lima said, grabbing the hem of my clothes and pulling me along.

"Alright, Lima. Lead the way to the bath, please."

"Yes!!"

Lima and I walked hand in hand towards the bath.

~~ ??? ~~

What a mess! We had agreed upon it among ourselves. Breaking the rules like this!!

In the pitch-black night, a woman with her hood pulled deep over her head relied on the light of a lantern containing a magical gem as she ran, her frustration growing.

That person truly should have been expelled from our organization. Bring him back. Though I apologize to him for saying so, if I find Sold, I'll kill him. The others had agreed to this before coming here. I'm sure he's around here somewhere... Huh?

As she approached Sold's location, she somehow sensed a human presence, so she extinguished the light from the magical gem to avoid being noticed.

"They seem to be talking about something, but it's hard to see from here. I'll cast a transparency spell and get closer. [Escape]"

And then, she confirmed her own disappearance.

I'm just going to see what they're up to, but could it be that Sold lost? ...No, even if Sold, who is said to be the weakest among us, faced a human, he shouldn't lose. Unless it's a descendant of a hero or something.

She cautiously approached, making sure not to be noticed, and when she reached a point where she could hear their conversation, she stopped and listened intently.

"So, have you found any of the others?"

"No, only zombie corpses."

"I see. But what's really going on here?"

"Captain Guer, I have no idea either."

Captain Guer? So, Guer, the descendant of the knights of this country and a descendant of the hero, is here!! But it doesn't seem like they're the ones who wiped out the zombies.

"I was told to investigate because there was a suspicious atmosphere here. But I never imagined something like this would happen. Right, Keith... what do you think?"

"Captain Guer, what do you think?"

"I want to hear what you think about who gathered the zombies and who destroyed them. What are your thoughts?"

"What are your thoughts, Captain Guer?"

Guer crossed his arms and began to speak his thoughts to Keith.

"These corpses lying around are probably demons."

"Captain Guer, you think the same way?"

Is this for real!? Sold was killed!! Who on earth did it?

"We can guess that the demons summoned the zombies to attack somewhere. But... we don't know who killed them."

"Captain Guer, are you saying you don't know who killed them?"

"Yeah. But amidst the terrible stench of these corpses, I can faintly smell a familiar scent."

"A smell?... What do you mean?"

"Ah, it's his smell."

"Captain Guer, who are you referring to?"

"Well, it's... "Captain~!"

What? Did someone just interrupt us?

"Our investigation here is done!"

"Azes, how did it go?"

"It's the same here! Just zombie corpses everywhere! But, I found some footprints I've never seen before!"

"Footprints you've never seen before?"

"The footprints are flat and continuous like a carriage wheel! And there are two of them, and they seem quite heavy!"

Flat carriage wheel tracks? Are there carriages that use flat wheels?

"Strange tracks, right? Did you find anything else?"

"Well... Near those wheel tracks, there were footprints of shoes!"

"...Azes, were those shoe prints unusual?"

"Yes! They had a pattern I've never seen before!"

"Captain Guer, it's confirmed now, right?"

"Sigh..."

After a look of dismay, Guer started giving instructions to the two.

"We'll confirm this with the locals tomorrow and ask for help in dealing with these zombies. Let's return to the capital first and request backup."

"Are we leaving the zombies?"

"There's no need to worry about zombies turning into zombies again, so leaving them should be fine. Now, let's go call for Baiger!"

"Understood!"

When Keith and Azes said so, they ran their horses in the direction where Baiger was thought to be.

"They've left. It's a relief they didn't find us. Thanks to the strong stench of these zombie corpses."

After saying this, she released the magic she had cast on herself.

"They seem to have sensed who caused this tragedy. Hahaha! I can't wait to meet whoever did this! Who on earth could it be? I'm looking forward to seeing them!"

With those words, she disappeared into the darkness of the night.

[Volume 02 Completed]

0