Volume One: Epilogue
79 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ashe carried the heavy bags of takeout up the stairs, the throb in her thigh bone deep, but manageable thanks to some pain killers.  She was still tired, and knew she was likely to sleep through lunch, but she would manage.  She did have to deal with the girls before school, they didn’t need to wait in uncertainty for another eight plus hours just so she could get a few extra hours of rest. 

Waking up, even as early as her alarm had sounded, was just as pleasant as it was the first time she’d shared a bed with Crystal.  Even without getting physical, just sharing in her presence was an immense comfort that she was already coming to associate with safety and affection. 

Crystal directed her to the shower despite having showered the night before while she went to the kitchen to prepare breakfast.  The smell of bacon and onions permeated the air when Ashe got out, and she couldn’t help the smile that had come to her face. 

They watched the news as they hastily ate, the anchor going on and on about the inferno left behind in the wake of a high speed chase.  Footage of Crystal screaming down one of the roads, as well as her maneuvering through the drainage canal followed, and Ashe’s intrusive thoughts returned as did the crushing realization of how close to death they had come. 

The sight of the pawn shop engulfed in flames was the last note the news broadcast left on before Crystal turned the TV off and collected their plates.  They had picked up breakfast for the girls, simple fast food pancake platters, and ridden over, and now Ashe had to confront the girls she had insisted upon rescuing. 

She knocked on the door, opting for courtesy rather than unlocking it and invading a space they no doubt didn’t feel completely safe in.  Crystal bumped her shoulder, and Ashe could tell she was smiling under the bandana.  She’d also worn the same ensemble that was quickly becoming associated with her criminal career.  The news broadcast hadn’t caught the bandanas, but it had caught her flame covered helmet during the chase. 

The door cracked open, a chain latch still in place as Jessica peered out.  Her eyes narrowed for a moment before she shut the door, undid the latch and opened it fully.  They stood there for a moment, staring down one another and Ashe had a creeping suspicion that Jessica knew exactly who she was. 

“Are you going to invite us in?” Crystal asked, breaking the standoff. 

Jessica blinked, and it was only then that Ashe saw how sunken her eyes were.  She hadn’t been missing for long, but it had already taken a toll on the once spoiled girl.  She stepped aside with a sigh and gestured for them to come in. 

Ashe handed one of the bags to her as she passed.  “We brought breakfast.  I figured having a full stomach would help us get through the talks we need to have.” 

Jessica sighed, taking the bag hesitantly.  “I suppose we do need to discuss some things, Ashe.”  

Crystal pulled her gun at the same time that Ashe held up her hand.  She turned to her friend and shook her head.  She half expected it, and wasn’t truly surprised given how much they had interacted over the course of the last four years.  If anyone was going to recognize her from casual interaction despite the disguise, it would be one of her tormentors.  Ashe glanced around the room, finding none of the other rescued girls watching. 

“Don’t call me that around the others,” Ashe said, lowering her bandana.  “If it isn’t obvious, I’m not eager to have my parents learn what I get up to when they aren’t looking.” 

“I watched you kill people,” Jessica said, a bit more subdued.  “Why did you come for us like that?  I can’t imagine you were looking for me specifically.” 

“At least take the food to the girls first,” Ashe said with a tired sigh.  “I do intend to go to school today, even if it is only to keep up appearances.” 

Jessica nodded, taking the bags up the stairs as Ashe and Crystal set the last bag on the table.  She pulled one of the extra meals out and set it on the table for her former bully and flopped onto one of the open seats while she waited for Jessica to return.  It took nearly five minutes, but she came down the stairs sedately, shaking her head almost fondly. 

“The food was appreciated,” Jessica said.  “Last night’s as well.  We didn’t get to eat well while we were being…broken in.” 

Ashe winced in sympathy.  She didn’t want to ask what had been done to them, but her imagination was more than willing to fill in the gaps.  She gestured to the seat where the meal was waiting and Jessica hesitantly sat before she threw decorum out the window and hastily began to tear into the pancakes and eggs. 

“Sorry about the lack of drinks,” Ashe said.  “Motorcycles aren’t very drink carrier friendly.” 

“It’s okay,” Jessica said, mouth full of food.  “That Headhunter guy made sure we had milk and juice as well as some basic groceries that weren’t already in the pantry.” 

Ashe smiled, glad to hear it.  Jessica finished her meal in short order, and soon they were left to get down to business.  She sat up straighter before pulling her bandana back over her face, now in full business mode.  

“I’ll be blunt, your abduction was karma at its finest after the shit you pulled, but I still wouldn’t wish that on you.  Also, Rachel has been worried sick, Heather fled the city and Gray has a new freshman toy sucking him off.” 

“Figures that bastard would move on like that,” Jessica snarled.  “Probably the same bitch he was cheating on me with.” 

“She is neglecting to mention how she left him broken in an alley after school yesterday,” Crystal added, setting her own bag down.  “Also, it goes without saying, tell anyone our actual names and we’ll kill you.” 

Jessica’s eyes widened before she mutely nodded. 

Ashe hummed in agreement, shifting her posture just enough so that her jacket opened just enough that her handgun was visible.  “I wanted to fuck over the people you sicced on me, as well as those above them.  Finding you was just a bonus.  Now, what do you intend to do?” 

“What do you mean?” Jessica asked, her voice barely a whisper. 

Ashe sighed.  “I’ve brought each of you two grand.  You can either use it to get away, find somewhere else in this infernal country to call home and leave this cesspit behind…” 

“Or…” Jessica hedged. 

Ashe smirked under her bandana.  “It’s becoming obvious that there is more to all of this than we can handle, so I’d like to offer those willing a job.  I need eyes and ears out on the streets that I know report only to me.  Interested?” 

Crystal eyed her for a moment but Ashe was staring at Jessica unblinkingly.  She didn’t trust the girl for an instant, but if Jessica was going to sell her out, she’d rather learn sooner than later.  Ashe didn’t want to kill someone in cold blood, but she had done so before, and would do it again.  If Jessica betrayed her, or she had any indication she might, she would quietly dispose of the little bitch. 

The thought sickened her, but not nearly as much as it would have a week earlier.  She’d crossed from minor, deniable actions and into the realm of major felonies.  She would get life in prison if not the death sentence after the prior night, getting squeamish about keeping people quiet was a luxury she no longer possessed. 

Jessica was staring at her incredulously, obviously unsure of how to take the offer.  A fool would bluster and accept, planning to sell her out to get back into the good graces of those that decided she was damaged goods.  Ashe didn’t think she was a fool, at least, not any longer. 

“You don’t trust me,” Jessica said after a moment.  “You’d be a fool to do so.” 

Ashe’s smirk grew into a full smile.  “You’re right.  Now finish your thought process.” 

Jessica frowned, her eyes narrowing.  “Given everything I’ve seen from you since Heather and I pointed you out to the Iron Patriots, you will likely kill me at the first sign that I might give someone your name.  Even walking away isn’t an option for me, is it?” 

“She catches on quick,” Crystal said.  “That’s good, it means you might actually be of use.” 

Discussing the fate of her classmate over breakfast had been a rather sobering affair.  Just the idea of deciding if someone would live or die over scrambled eggs and fried greens just felt surreal.  If she actually managed to establish her own people, and that group grew, would she one day be deciding the fates of dozens over frozen waffles? 

She had a brief thought of Alejandro snorting a line of coke before ordering something absolutely insane from one of his advisors, assuming he had them, and had to stifle a laugh.  Morbid thoughts aside, Jessica was at least smart enough to know how to betray her in a less obvious way, which ironically also made her a better choice for the position. 

According to Robbie’s initial assessment, Ashe’s cut of the cash from last night’s job was almost a hundred grand, not to mention the guns they recovered that would be trickier to sell off.  The drugs were at least the easy part, and she might even have some people to sell them for her soon.  It was quickly becoming a pattern that she wasn’t nearly as disgusted with herself over what she needed to do to earn a reputation.  Threats, murder, drugs, all just part of it now. 

Crystal didn’t fully agree with her, but Jessica confirming she knew who Ashe was meant it needed to be addressed.  That act of confirmation alone was already a mark in her favor, as was her understanding of the situation.  There was always a chance it would lead to betrayal, but Ashe had a feeling that the rescue had shaken whatever beliefs the girl still held. 

“The job’s yours if you want it,” Ashe said, pulling one of the cash bundles from her bag.  “You’ll be in-charge of the other girls that also take my offer, as I’m sure more than a few will.  Obviously you are to keep my name out of any conversation, even when you think everyone knows it.  Best if people don’t assume you know my name, that just invites issues.” 

“I can see that,” Jessica said, thumbing through the cash.  “It’s funny, before all this, I would have thought nothing of dropping this much on a handbag, now it feels like a lifeline.” 

“Money is a curious thing, when you no longer have it,” Crystal said softly.  “I learned that lesson the hard way after I was disowned.” 

“Do you want me to bring the other girls down?” Jessica asked.  

Ashe nodded and watched Jessica depart.  Crystal took the moment to lean against her, a comforting hand coming to rest atop her own.  Ashe didn’t like what she was about to ask of the girls that decided to stay, but she knew it needed to be done, and these girls were her best chance of finding a new lead and vetting potential allies. 

The realization that she wasn’t exiting such a dangerous occupation should have scared her more.  Ashe was getting further entrenched in illegal dealings, a direct betrayal of her parents’ trust in her.  All because she didn’t trust the police to find those responsible. 

The girls descended the stairs hesitantly, but some of them lit up upon seeing Ashe, whispers of the Inferno that had been left in her wake followed.  She wanted to look away in embarrassment, but she needed to embrace the reputation that was beginning to form around her.  It would be a lifeline in times to come, when just the mention of her name would point to incidents long past as an example of what might come if someone underestimated her. 

They all found places in the room, taking the now vacated seats as Ashe stepped up to the center stage.  Just for effect, she had switched to a muted news broadcast on the TV behind her.  Ashe looked across the room, meeting each of their eyes as she did.  

Crystal stood to her left, arms crossed yet loose enough to grab the gun visibly strapped to her shoulder.  Jessica hesitantly stood to her right, demonstrating that when it came to this group, Jessica answered directly to their new benefactor.

How many of you can’t understand English?” she asked in her rather abysmal Spanish.  “Because as you can tell, my Spanish is shit.”

A few of the girls giggled at that, but only two sets of hands rose.  Jessica nodded and gestured them aside, already falling into the role of translator.  That alone surprised her, given her family’s leanings on foreign languages aside from German.  Then again, basic Spanish was practically a survival skill in Florida. 

What followed was a repeat of the offer she had made to Jessica, cash and help leaving the city with no questions asked, or a job being her eyes and ears in places she couldn’t be.  Spies and informants, drug runners and so on.  The girls listened intently, some more than a little star struck, and much to Ashe’s dismay, one of them looked no older than twelve. 

Jessica translated the offer to the two that had raised their hands, and both voiced their desire to stay and help.  Of the rest, only four opted to join them, bringing the number up to seven with Jessica included.  Less than she had hoped for, but more than she had at the start of things.  At least the youngest girl wasn’t among them.

Those leaving were given their money and Robbie was contacted to bring them to a bus station outside the city limits and arrange for them to be taken far north.  She didn’t stick around for that as the girls gathered their meager belongings, mostly simple clothes from the safe-house that kinda fit, but it was theirs and Ashe would pay to restock the house if asked by the Viuda member that maintained it.

Likely Mercedes if Robbie had chosen it, she’d been the one to offer it besides.  She was starting to understand that the man had a soft spot for the woman, but she wasn’t about to ask why.  As for the rest of the girls, Crystal would be dropping Ashe off at school, then working to find them a place they could stay long term while Ashe pretended to care about her education. 

She needed people within the Viuda, as well as the other factions linked to them, to try and find any connections to the traffickers.  Ashe couldn’t discount Heather’s words, there was too much fear in them when she spoke.  She needed to verify who she could trust when moving to rip them out by the roots. 

She had to smirk at the idea of slipping someone into Alejandro’s circle, even as nothing more than a bed warmer for one of his lieutenants, which she was certain at least a few of the girls would elect to become.  It was one of the oldest professions, and the Viuda were known for it. 

As she left the room, Ashe had to stop and let out a shaky breath, the implications of what she had just done crashing into her.  She now had the beginnings of her own faction within the city, and the embers of an idea of what she was going to do with it. 

Now, all she needed to do was stoke the flames.

 


 

—End of Volume One—

 


Author's Notes: 

And that's Act One of Be Gay Do Crime!!!  It's been a ride, but there's still plenty more to come!  We're rolling right into Act Two, and Ashe deals with the fact she now has a bunch of girls to figure out what the hell to do with, as well as suspicions about who is behind the abductions that set her on the path in the first place.  There's a lot going on, new faces to love and loathe, and an action packed finale that is one of my favorite sequences that I have ever written!  I can't wait to share it with everyone, but for those who are impatient...

The entire second Act is up on my Patreon, covering up through chapter 69, for those eager to dig into the story as well as throwing some support my way!

3