Chapter 41
61 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fingers moved with purpose, rubbing vigorously, a leg kicking out in pure ecstasy.  Ashe grinned, happy to see her efforts eliciting such a response.  A whimpering groan escaped, and that only encouraged Ashe to redouble her efforts.  Years of practice certainly helped, though she was forced to use her off hand for the truly heavy petting. 

It wasn’t like Jasper was complaining, the goodest boy was quite taken with her ministrations.  There wasn’t anything of note on the TV, not unless she wanted to watch the news which was covering her exploits almost as much as they were talking about an upcoming rally that Senator Ellington would be hosting in less than two weeks.  Ashe was ready to throw the remote at that information, and opted to swap to streaming instead. 

Flashes of defiant eyes and splattered gray matter still flashed in her mind when she drifted, preventing sleep but that didn’t stop time from passing in a warm haze.  The enjoyment of just being home and able to relax without worry was something Ashe hadn’t gotten to experience in what felt like weeks.  Sure, she had her insecurities, like the girls still staying at Mercedes’ safe house.  Then there were the implications of what Caralina had muttered when the woman thought Ashe wasn’t listening.

She would need to talk to all of the girls in time, but that could wait until they had a chance to rest and recover from their ordeals.  Maybe she should take them all somewhere over the weekend, let them be pampered.  She opened an eye, glancing at Jasper where he laid.  Ashe was laying on the couch, but Jasper decided he would lay down next to her, on the inside of the sofa.  Not that she minded, the dog was warm and cuddly, and content to sleep rather than fidget. 

Most of the girls needed their hair done, not to mention new wardrobes.  A trip to the mall could knock out everything on the list without issue.  She would need to book a salon in advance, just to be sure they had enough people to tend to all the girls in a reasonable timeframe.  The food court would take care of dinner, and there would be enough clothing stores that each girl could decide on a style that suited them. 

It wasn’t like Ashe didn’t have the money now.  Over a million dollars was hers alone, which was something she really didn’t want to think too deeply on.  She’d killed for that money, both in the moment and cold.  The man’s eyes were burned into her mind, brown and full of anger.  She knew they would haunt her sleep, which was why she was taking Jasper into her room for the night.  Hell, that was probably why the dog was snuggled so close as it was. 

“You’re such a good boy, Jaspy,” Ashe said, scratching at that one spot that always made the dog melt.  “I don’t deserve you.” 

One eye opening, Jasper affixed her with what could only be described as a flat glare before huffing and rolling over, wrapping one of his legs over her shoulder before a tongue darted out and licked Ashe across the nose. 

Ashe sputtered, attempting to pull away, but Jasper pinned her and began to lick at the corner of her lips much to her indignation. 

“Okay, point made,” Ashe said, only for the tongue to slip inside her mouth.  Ashe recoiled, struggling not to laugh as she tried to wiggle free.  “Unhand me, foul demon!” 

Jasper sat up, and Ashe suddenly found herself without any supporting weight, a paw pressed against a particularly sensitive area and Ashe promptly dropped to the floor.  Her wound ached, but the pain meds did their job enough that she didn’t cry out in agony, only surprise. 

“Dick move, Jasp,” Ashe groaned, the words rather literal, only for chuckling to silence her with a start. 

Jasper had hopped off the couch and rounded his way to the door, where her Mom was fluffing the dog’s ears while Mother shut the door behind them as she yawned.  There were heavy bags under her eyes, and guilt stabbed Ashe in the chest, knowing that she contributed to their overtime.  On the other hand, Mom had set a pair of pizza boxes on the table, and Ashe’s stomach growled just at the sight of them. 

“Good to hear,” Mother said, her lip just slightly quirked where Ashe couldn’t see it.  “How was school today?  Any issues we should be aware of?” 

“The usual,” Ashe said, grunting as she sat back up.  Was it bad that she was actually thankful for Jasper jumping off her dick?  It helped hide any discomfort she had from the wound on her leg at least.  “Crystal and I adopted some kids, saved a princess, and rode off into the sunset.” 

“More mouths to feed then,” Mom said, patting Jasper’s side before moving into the kitchen.  “You’ll have to introduce us to the grand kids soon.” 

Ashe snorted, more so to hide the wince as she got back on her feet to help get supper set up.

“Christmas is going to be tight,” Mother added, pulling out a calculator as she scrunched her nose.  “Will we need to get more pizzas for these children?” 

“Har har,” Ashe said, already planning to order a pizza delivery for the girls.  “Enough interrogating me, what about you two?  At least you didn’t get held over tonight too.” 

“On that, we’re agreed,” Mother said.  “I’m not thrilled about having yet another masked criminal running around my streets, or a building full of burnt corpses to identify, but all of that is now off my desk and someone else’s problem.” 

Ashe very carefully avoided reacting, the mention of both her new identity as well as the fact she knew her final abuser was one of those burnt corpses.  She was less conflicted over that particular death than she was the others.  

She was also aware that her parents had failed to mention that the building was a trafficking front.  She wasn’t sure if they were trying to spare her the details, or trying to avoid getting her hopes up.  Or hell, maybe they suspected that she was involved and didn’t want to draw attention to things. 

That wasn’t likely, as she would be arrested if they knew she was Inferno.  That didn’t preclude her from having contact with the Viuda in an attempt to find whoever attacked her.  There had been no indication that they were aware of Crystal’s affiliation, but that didn’t mean they hadn’t uncovered something in the interim. 

All she could do was continue about her life as normal, even when it was anything but.  Ashe was now a murderer, and that was something she would have to live with, to keep hidden from those who raised her.  Her stomach turned, but she still forced herself to sit down and eat some pizza.  Jasper sat beside her, silent, aside from his tail which thumped against her chair leg rhythmically. 

Two bites into a slice of double cheese, and her stomach was already starting to revolt.  Ashe tore a piece off and slipped it to the waiting pup, who made it vanish in almost an instant.  Looking at her second slice, she sighed and pushed her plate away. 

“Ashe, are you feeling alright?” Mom asked, her face awash with concern.  “I thought you were hungry.” 

“I was,” she admitted, “bad memory.” 

“Ah,” Mother said.  “Well, leftover pizza is still good.  Maybe you should turn in early.” 

“Maybe,” Ashe muttered.  She didn’t want to admit weakness, but she really could use the company of someone that she could actually be open with.  Even Keiko would be a welcome distraction at this point.  “Maybe I just got too used to staying with Crystal.” 

Mom snorted immediately, Mother turning an exasperated glare on her wife. 

“What?” Mom asked, feigning innocence.  “You and I both know how hard it is to unwind when we have to sleep alone.” 

Ashe could certainly admit that was part of it, though all she wanted at the moment was to run a hot shower and let scalding water wash over her in an attempt to chase away the cold thoughts that kept intruding upon her.  She really did miss Crystal, and she knew that Jasper would be a poor substitute. 

As Ashe got up, a gentle hand came to rest on her shoulder.  She looked back, finding her mom standing there with a soft expression. 

“Whatever is bothering you, know you can always talk to us without reservation or judgment.” 

Oh, how she wished that was true.  She was a wanted felon, and if they learned that she had been the one behind all their recent headaches, there was no telling how they would react.  Keeping secrets wasn’t something she was used to, not when it came to the women that had taken her in.

“Thanks,” Ashe said, smiling weakly.  “I will, once I’ve gotten my head around things.” 

It wasn’t a lie, just not the complete truth.  For all they knew, she was just having a bad day and would be right as rain come the morning.  Ashe certainly hoped that was how things shook out.  She knew that staying with Crystal wouldn’t be an option for much of the week, aside from after school.  Maybe she could get a nap in before she needed to return home for the night. 

Her parents shared a look as Ashe slipped away, heading straight for bed.  It helped that she was already in her pajamas, letting her slip right under the covers with the lights off.  Ashe set her phone to play music over the speakers and she curled up on her right side.  The stitches in her thigh itched, and the dull ache was as suppressed as her medicine allowed.  Her oxy had worn off and Ashe wasn’t about to take a second just to get some sleep. 

It was one thing to take one hours before her parents would arrive, taking another would just be asking for trouble and leave her in such a fog that she would probably spill everything if her parents prodded. 

She would just have to endure the discomfort. 

Ashe was humming along to one of her favorite songs when her door creaked open a bit, spilling the dim hall light inside.  She opened an eye, catching the silhouette of her mom standing there as if waiting for an invitation.  Jasper on the other hand had no such reservations, darting past Mom’s legs and into her room where he promptly jumped into the bed and laid down behind Ashe, resting his head on her own. 

Humanity really didn’t deserve dogs.

“Hey kiddo,” Mom said softly.  “Can I come in?” 

Ashe nodded.  “Door’s open.” 

Mom walked in slowly, and Ashe’s pulse quickened in nervous anticipation.  Once again she would be walking on eggshells around someone she cared about, lies and half-truths used liberally to obscure reality from one of the people that selflessly took her in.  Ashe didn’t make a move to sit up.  She was reasonably comfortable, and of greater import, Jasper had already declared her a suitable pillow.

“I can tell that something’s bothering you,” Mom said, taking a seat at the foot of the bed.  Jasper huffed, only to dig his chin deeper, making it clear he wasn’t moving without express orders.  “Jasper obviously can too.  I know you probably don’t want to talk about whatever it is, but I think it would help if you did.” 

A bitter laugh almost spilled out of her, but she caught herself before it did.  It would have been so much easier if her parents were so engrossed in their work that they neglected her.  While she could never claim they were the best parents in the world—those would have moved out of Florida the moment she was adopted—they ALWAYS made time for her no matter how chaotic work has been.

“Missing your girlfriend?” Mom continued when Ashe didn’t answer. 

“Not my girlfriend,” Ashe mumbled. 

A heavy exhale sounded.  “Did Crystal turn you down?” 

“No,” Ashe said, and decided to drop the news.  “Asked her to prom.  She said yes.” 

“That’s wonderful!” Mom exclaimed a bit too loudly, clapping once.  Jasper’s head snapped up, and though Ashe couldn’t see him, she knew he was at full attention in anticipation of a command.  “Ah, whoops.  Didn’t mean to be so loud.  That’s good news, right?” 

“I suppose,” Ashe said. 

Mom hummed in thought, as if she had all the answers.  “Let me guess, the age thing still has her convinced to keep some distance?” 

Well, that wasn’t entirely wrong. 

“Not the exact problem I’m dealing with, but it’s certainly less daunting,” Ashe said.  “She’s worth waiting for, that much I can say for certain.” 

“Just be safe about it,” Mom said.  Silence lingered for a few moments, and Ashe considered going into more detail about her and Crystal when her mom spoke again.  “Can you talk about what is eating at you?  Even if it’s in a roundabout way, even if you can’t say what it is directly, maybe I can help.” 

Okay, she wanted to pry that badly, maybe Ashe could touch on the subject without implicating herself. 

“I’d have to be vague,” Ashe began, glancing towards her mom for a moment before looking away.  “It might have to do with your current case.” 

Almost immediately, Mom sat up straighter.  “What have you heard?” 

Taking a breath that was shakier than she would have liked, Ashe considered how best to frame the misdirection. 

“Jack Henson.  He’s dead.” 

Mom inhaled sharply, and held it for a four count before exhaling slowly.  “The pawn shop, he was one of the bodies we’re still trying to identify.” 

Ashe nodded blankly, staring off into the distance.  The scene where she had shot that man flashed before her eyes again and she failed to repress the shudder.  Tears were falling from her eyes, and Ashe was fighting a growing case of the hiccups. 

“Why didn’t you tell us?” Mom asked, her voice gentle and caring, which only made the sobs worse.  “Were you afraid you might implicate someone in a crime?” 

Ashe nodded, because she was afraid.  Crystal, Keiko, Robbie, her girls…  Herself.  There were many people that could get swept up if any of their names were linked to the raid.  So many lives were in the balance, all because they worked outside the law to do what was necessary. 

“I feel like I set that all in motion,” Ashe said, leaving it vague. 

The less detail she provided, the less her parents would have to work with while piecing things together.

“Just because they attacked you and you didn’t roll over doesn’t make this your fault,” Mom said, resting a hand on Ashe’s arm.  “Obviously you won’t tell me how you learned of this, and I’m not going to ask.  All that I care about is that you’re safe.  If that ever changes, you come to us.  We’ll do what we can.  That offer will never be rescinded, you have my word.” 

Ashe didn’t answer, her tears still flowing steadily.  After a few moments her mom got up and stepped out, likely to pass along the information to whoever was on the investigation as an anonymous tip that was passed to her.  Despite it becoming clearer by the moment that the danger had passed, Ashe’s own distress only grew.  

Jasper whined, and pulled himself closer, wrapping a paw over her shoulder and buried his muzzle in her hair.  Despite the outpouring of love and affection from not only her mom, but her dog as well, it did little to settle the tempest that raged within. 

She needed a new goal to work towards, something that wouldn’t eat away at her.  The only thing she could think of were the girls she rescued, but they were just as traumatized as she was.  They had next to nothing to their name, so maybe that was where she could start.  Thinking through her options, the only place that made any sort of sense was the mall. 

Malls across America might have been in steady decline, but Jericho’s own remained a popular destination.  It was unique in a way, mostly outdoors with store fronts designed to blend in with historical downtown.  It even had a food court area with full outdoor dining as an option.  There were salons, clothing stores, and so much more all located within walking distance. 

Grabbing her phone, Ashe checked the forecast and grinned.  Sunny and almost eighty, absolutely perfect weather for an outing.  Ashe’s fingers moved, typing a message to Crystal.  She couldn’t arrange much, not from her personal phone, but she could get the ball rolling. 

Baby steps, but Ashe had something to look forward to, something she could make happen.


Author's Notes: 

​One truth spoken, a thousand hidden. 

Next time, Ashe tries to do right by the girls she has taken in.

The entire second Act is up on my Patreon, covering up through chapter 69, for those eager to dig into the story as well as throwing some support my way!

2