Chapter 48
48 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Using an old auto shop for their base still amused Ashe.  She knew there was a story behind why Robbie owned it, but she also knew that remained a sore subject.  Crystal too was familiar with the place, only supplying that she learned to work on bikes from the previous owner.  A piece of shared history that Ashe lacked with the crew, something they hadn’t felt ready to share with her. 

She tried to not be offended, knowing how personal it was to the team.  Telling the daughter of a cop all about their illegal actions that weren’t already well known to the Viuda wasn’t the brightest of ideas regardless. 

Crystal parked her bike out front, next to a nondescript van.  The exterior was as worn as ever, abandoned as far as anyone was concerned.  Crystal unlocked the mechanic’s side door with a key, moving inside with a muttered curse.  Ashe followed, a bit slower due to her leg, and smiled as Crystal hurried to cover something with a tarp. 

“Sorry,” she said.  “It’s a surprise.” 

Ashe grinned.  “Fair enough.” 

She had an idea of what might be under there, but couldn’t be for certain.  Regardless, she wasn’t about to press the matter.  She looked around, taking in the workspace.  Everything seemed ordered and well maintained, the space anything but abandoned.  Crystal must have made it into her own, or maybe it had been hers long before Robbie took ownership. 

There were newspaper clippings on the wall that suggested that, detailing various exploits of Riptide, Hanabi, and Headhunter.  Some dated back long before they had claimed their names, a foolish treasure trove of information should the police find the collection of clippings. 

“Not all of those were us,” Crystal said, having rejoined her.  “Robbie’s…  His previous boyfriend put all that together, intending to throw a bunch of false leads in the event the cops found this place.”  She then pointed to an article about the pawn shop blaze and Ashe’s own emerging reputation.  “We’ve continued the tradition since…” 

There was a slight hitch there, an emotion so close to breaking free, but Crystal caught herself, schooling her expression before she cleared her throat.  Ashe really didn’t need to be told the details, she could put the pieces together.

“The others should be in the office,” Crystal said, moving towards the back. 

Ashe paid the board one last glance before moving to follow.  She’d only passed through when preparing for the prior job, never lingering long outside the back rooms.  Despite that, she wondered if this would be the last time she was going to see the building, after Robbie told her to touch grass. 

She expected nothing less, especially if her suspicions about the Viuda proved to be true.  Robbie spent the last decade with the gang, Keiko was looking at nearly as much of her life invested as well.  Even Crystal had four years with them.  One of the things the Viuda prided themselves on was their treatment of women, and if it came out that they were trafficking? 

The gang would break. 

Suspicious was an understatement, because implicating them would do what the Patriots hadn’t managed, what the former Storm Guard failed to accomplish.  The Viuda were nigh untouchable when it came to public perception, and the Patriots tolerated them.  Hell, the Patriots were often the biggest customers, at least according to what she’d overheard. 

That was why she would investigate everything thoroughly.  The girls had been given time to rest and recover, though therapy would certainly help.  She was hopeful that some would be willing to open up, that others might have changed their knee jerk decision to jump right back into sex work.  She didn’t expect all of them to have done so, but there was some hope. 

Christ, she had enough on her plate as it was, and Ashe knew this was just the beginning.  

Crystal entered the office ahead of her, and Ashe followed her inside, fighting back the hesitation she felt about confronting the rest of the crew.  She had a good idea why Robbie wanted to speak with her, and she was already dreading the coming conversation. 

At least the odds that he would just shoot her were relatively slim, but not zero.  Not like she was a stranger to being shot at this point in her life.  Shaking that thought away, Ashe laid eyes on Robbie.  He was seated casually on the sofa, laying back with a beer in hand.  Keiko was fussing with something on her phone, but looked up when they entered. 

“How’s the girls holding up?” 

“Good,” Ashe said, surprised that Keiko had asked.  “Some better than others, but that’s to be expected.”

“Bet they need all the therapy,” Keiko said, leaning back.  “You know the Viuda can help there, right?” 

“I do,” Ashe said.  “In time, but I’m still wary of trusting them fully.” 

“The Viuda aren’t involved,” Robbie said firmly.  “I’ve spoken to Mercedes and Yessina at this point.  Whoever is spreading this is doing so maliciously.” 

Ashe’s eye twitched, but she didn’t argue the issue.  She knew Robbie trusted them deeper than she likely ever could.  Her own investigations would continue and she would get to the bottom of things eventually. 

“Still going to play things safe,” Ashe said with a shrug.  “What did you want to talk about?” 

Robbie pointed to a pair of duffels laying by the door.  “Your cuts of the cash.  The drugs are a bit bulkier.  I can either sell them for you to a bulk buyer, or you can distribute them yourself with those girls you brought in.  More money long term, but could bring more heat on you.” 

“I’ll take my share of the drugs,” Ashe said, the words like bile in her throat.  She was moving to become an actual dealer, and the though did not sit well in her mind. 

“Same,” Crystal said. 

Robbie eyed the both of them.  “You’re both getting involved with things that tend to get people killed.” 

“I know,” Ashe said.  “I’m inexperienced, I fully acknowledge that.  It’s why I’m being so careful about things, not blindly trusting others.” 

“Which I can’t fault you for, you don’t have the same history with the leaders of the Viuda as I do,” Robbie said, downing half the bottle.  “That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take the advice of those more experienced.” 

She couldn’t dispute that, and advice was something she couldn’t afford to dismiss outright, not with everything that loomed in her future. 

“Then I’m all ears,” Ashe said. 

“You have over a million dollars there, for each of you,” he said, once again gesturing to the bags.  “I’m selling my drugs to Alejandro and retiring.  This was the sort of haul that will allow me to live comfortably for the rest of my days.  I can open a car wash or laundromat chain and funnel that money back to myself over the rest of my days.”

Right, if she wanted to use more than pocket change in her civilian life, she would need a way to launder that money to appear as legitimate income.  That would take some work to arrange, but nor impossible.  The idea of taking the money and running did have some appeal, but she wasn’t sure she could do it, not when it wasn’t just her anymore. 

The money and drugs they found were direct profit from the suffering of the girls she had taken in, and she was determined to use that money to help them.  So, retirement wasn’t an option, no matter the appeal fading into obscurity might hold.  

“Someday,” Ashe said, “when the girls I’ve taken in are safe.” 

“That way lies an early grave,” Robbie said.  “I will get out while I am able.  You should do the same, before someone turns you against your own ideals and you lose yourself as others have.” 

“I can’t,” Keiko cut in.  “The Viuda are my life, all I have.  Yet, if someone is abusing the trust they extend?  I need to know.  I’ll stick with you until I have my answer, then I’ll reevaluate my options.” 

“This is it then,” Crystal said, her eyes shimmering with unshed tears.  “The end of us as a team?” 

“Seems that way,” Keiko said.  “Robbie, get off your ass and give us a hug.” 

He chuckled, but got up, Crystal and Keiko moving quickly to wrap the man in a teary-eyed embrace.  He patted both on the back.  Ashe knew this moment was theirs, she was too new to the team to join in, it felt wrong to even consider it.  That nobody moved to invite her, not even Crystal, spoke to the truth of that gut feeling she had.  She was still an outsider, despite having fought and bled with them, it was only the once.

“How long until you’re gone?” Crystal asked. 

“I just need to deliver my drugs to Alejandro, say my goodbyes to Mercedes, then I’m gone.” 

“Gonna miss you big guy,” Crystal said, pulling away from the hug as she wiped her eyes.  “You and Brandon better enjoy that retirement.” 

“I’ll invite you to the going away party,” Robbie said before ruffling Keiko’s hair. 

“Fucker,” Keiko grumbled, but there was no heat to it.  “You’d better damn well invite us.  I know what you have planned, and that means you’re gonna cut all ties.” 

“Most,” he admitted. 

Ashe was a bit confused by that, but it made an odd sort of sense as well.  If nobody knew who he was, who he had been, it was far less likely he would get burned by an information leak in his new identity.  Sentimentality had led to the arrest of more than a few retired criminals over the years, something her parents were quick to teach her.  Crime might pay, but never for long. 

Yeah, she sure as hell wasn’t following those lessons anymore.  Ashe was set to build a criminal empire, even if the Viuda didn’t have ties to the traffickers, she would probably maintain a loose association with them.  Just another small time group that supported the larger whole.  It would be safer than being a field team, not that she expected to get away from that sort of work completely. 

“Ashe,” Robbie said, drawing her attention.  “If you’re set on this investigation, trust nobody.  That includes the girls you rescued, the Viuda, and anyone else seeking their own aim.  Only trust yourself and what irrefutable proof you find.” 

The warning sounded reasonable, and Ashe knew that she was treading dangerous waters.  There were good odds that there would be attempts on her life if she pursued this path.  Much as she wanted to trust Robbie and Keiko, his own words told her that she couldn’t.  He’d made his allegiances clear, the Viuda were the people he would back.  That didn’t change that he was encouraging her to do this the right way, which suggested he was trustworthy.

“She’s not in this alone,” Crystal said, wrapping an arm around Ashe’s waist.  She tried very hard to not think too heavily about how nice it felt.  “I’ll be right there with her, helping to verify things, and to watch her back for any knives aimed her way.” 

“There will be many,” Robbie said.  A heavy swallow was Ashe’s only answer to that warning.  “I’m leaving this shop to you, Crystal, since you actually use it.  The deed is already signed and ready at the bank, if you want it.” 

Crystal blinked, the tears welling right back up before the last round had even finished drying.  “The shop?  But, what about—” 

“He’s dead and I’ve moved on,” Robbie said sharply.  “I have no interest in maintaining the place, you’ve already done a far better job than I ever hoped.  I know that you will at least care for her and the history within these walls.  Anyone else would just bulldoze it for some shitty corner store.” 

“Yeah,” Crystal said softly, her voice barely a whisper as she looked down, biting her lip.  “I’ll be sure to take damn good care of the place, should you ever decide to return.” 

Robbie barked out a single, sharp laugh.  “Fat chance of that, what with how many people I’ll be burning with my vanishing act.  You three take care, I’ll miss you all.” 

Keiko pulled him back into a hug, followed by Crystal, though this one was over just as quickly as it began. 

“See you, cowboy,” Keiko said. 

Robbie groaned.  “You would bring that up right at the end, wouldn’t you.” 

“Damn skippy,” Keiko said, smiling through her tears.  “You better make a fucking mint out there.” 

“Nah,” he said, “I’m just gonna keep my head down.” 

Ashe wasn’t sure if she believed him.  “I wish you well, take care.” 

“We didn’t know each other for long, but you’re alright Ashe,” Robbie said, stepping over before he patted her shoulder.  “Just don’t lose sight of that fire within.” 

“Never,” Ashe said. 

Robbie nodded once, then moved to pick up his bag.  “Alright, I’ve delayed this far too much as it is.  I’d say see you later, but that would mean something went terribly wrong.” 

Ashe wasn’t sure what it was, but something about the tone he said it with was off, but she didn’t know the man well enough to place it.  If it was yet another reference to an event she wasn’t there for, Ashe wouldn’t have been surprised. 

Robbie departed after that, the sound of a vehicle departing the only sound that signaled his exit, and Ashe had to contemplate what this would mean going forward.  He was the one with the deepest ties to the Viuda, the one that could get the most answers.  Sure, Keiko had her own history, but the woman was sometimes the living embodiment of a canker sore.  There was no way she had as many friends as the Headhunter with the heart of a teddy bear. 

Then again, she had never been the recipient of the man’s ire. 

Keiko sighed, sniffing before she wiped a line of snot away with her shoulder.  “Well, even know it was coming, that fucking sucked.” 

“Yeah,” Crystal agreed.  “He always talked about retirement like this thing he would never live to see.” 

“Well,” Keiko said, clapping her hands.  “We should probably figure out what the hell we’re doing, because as soon as we figure out the Viuda situation, I plan to join him in the fields of early retirement.  I hear Hawaii isn’t half bad right now.” 

Ashe snorted.  “New Zealand for me, should the option ever open up.” 

Keiko whistled.  “Yeah, that landscape is something else, I’ll give you that.” 

“More so that it’s less likely to be involved in a large scale land war,” Ashe said dismissively.  “The shit in Europe, the Middle East, and Russia has made me wary of that entire continental cluster, and the less said about America, the better.” 

“Well, we do live in America’s dick,” Crystal said, smirking.  Ashe shoved her playfully, getting a laugh out of the others.  “We should probably get going before your parents cry curfew.” 

“They know where I’m at,” Ashe said.  “Mostly.” 

This time, Keiko snorted, then cursed as snot shot everywhere.  Ashe and Crystal elected to make a strategic retreat to avoid the numerous projectiles that may or may not have been launched, including rockets of the snot variety.  Keiko did at least promise to lock up once she cleaned her mess up. 

It wasn’t until they were back to the bike that Ashe decided to speak again, though this time there would be consequences to the words she spoke, some farther reaching than she could ever anticipate, and more blood than she could ever know. 

“We need to talk to the girls,” Ashe said, settling back in behind Crystal.  “It’s time we started branching out.”


Author's Notes: 

The entire second volume is up on my Patreon, covering up through chapter 69, for those eager to dig into the story as well as throwing some support my way!

dL4QwVX.png

2