Chapter 4 – Music to my Ears
253 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Robinsons supermarket, Ground floor] 

[August 21st, 2277]

[Sarah Cross 3rd POV] 

She woke up with a jolt as the alarm on her pipboy went off. Sighing to herself, she turned off the alarm and stood up slowly, rubber her face with her hands to wipe off the drowsiness as she mentally restarted her faculties and looked around her surroundings once again to confirm no one else was there. 

After waiting for a good solid 10 minutes, she finally relaxed a bit as she ported her cooking tools yet again and promoted a can of corn soup and pour it over the pan to be heated. 

While she was waiting, she organized her thought process on what she had heard on the radio. 

"This is stupid in all honesty. Why does the Brotherhood control New Manila in the first place?" 

She questioned herself, and in her defense, she had a valid question since it was next to impossible for the brotherhood to amass that many troops. 

The again they would've recruited locals to their cause and adding to the fact that it was 200 years since the apocalypse, anything couple happen. 

She sighed as she turned off her cooking tool and placed it back on her inventory and proceeded to eat the warm corn soup she had prepared herself. 

"She need more information about what the fucks going on around here and how many factions are in play in her country. Considering that the brotherhood is occupying the Capitol and the Chinese remnants on Makati, there's bound to be more factions at play near them."

She gathered her thoughts and immediately start to plan out on where I'm going, and what to do once she'd reached her destination. 

After finishing her hearty corn soup, she mentally stored her bowl along with the spoon inside her inventory and gathered her things. 

Once she was finished, she readied her riot shotgun once again and carefully looked around to see any signs of enemies. 

Finding none, she exited the supermarket and turned right towards the main highway. 

After a brief walk, she arrived at the crossroad and turned left and headed north of quezon city. 

It would take a week at most since the highway is most likely destroyed enroute to the Capitol of QC so she might have to take a detour. 

While she was on the highway walking past debris, skeletons and cars, she looked to her right to where the Plaza was and to her surprise, the Plaza along with the barangay hall and the police station were unrecognizable. 

It was eerie to say the least since the last time I've seen this place was that the Plaza was being expanded along with the police station being renovated to accommodate more space. 

She continued on to the silent, but at least she had her radio. 

Speaking of which, she stopped for a moment to turn on the radio on her pipboy. 

Flipping through stations, she eventually stopped at the title 'Chucks Talk Show' and she thought, why not? 

And eventually clicked on it. 

The moment she clicked on it, she could hear the rough, but hardened voice of a man that spoke through the radio. 

By her guess the said man was in his late 30s, and American since she could tell she's not a local from around here. 

Maybe a visiting foreigner when the war wasn't at its height. My country after all was one of the best places to live for retirement for Americans. 

As she resumed her walk, Chuck introduced his new guest. 

"andddddd welcome back to chucks talk show, where you'll get the exclusive news, The exclusive news that the Asian wasteland has to offer. 

Now I do apologize for the delay but I would like to welcome our new guest, he is rather famous as you can see ladies and gentlemen, a man that is shunned from society, since he is touched by the radiation but survived. 

Meet Steve Ford, our resident Ghoul who, according to himself, was an officer during the great war, and according to himself, was one of the great soldiers of America pushing back the communist threat from Alaska and was relocated here in Asia to supposedly land in China. 

Give it up for Steve Ford! "

Cue the laughing track as she was interested on what the man has to say if what the said man named Steve was truthful after all. 

She continued to listen

"Thank you for having me here Chuck, the wasteland isn't friendly to all of us and scarred all of us. I'm just content that you chuck at least treat my kind with a more neutral standing."

The mans voice was very rough, obviously his vocal cords were damaged but it's normal for a ghoul to talk like that, but you can mostly understand the words he's saying. 

"Not to worry my dear friend Steve, here in my talk show, all we want is the truth and only the truth. Now, Steve as you said earlier when we met, is it true that you were in the great war?" 

Steve replied to Chuck with a raspy voice. "Indeed I was. It was a shit show honestly, but we managed. Me and my buddies were stationed back in Anchorage during the first landings of the Chinese."

"And what was is like, does describe the scene to our listeners what was the scene in Anchorage was like for an average officer as yourself." Chuck gestured. 

"Well." Steve hesitantly replied "It was hell for the most part since the bastards took our very own artillery platform and used it against us. We were bombarded for days until finally we saw the artillery was destroyed by special forces. Which were relieved to hear and we didn't give a fuck on how it was destroyed. 

The town we held was mostly destroyed, yet orders from the top was to bunker down and not let the reds occupy one inch of the town. We lost about 2,000 from what I've heard during the siege of that town. The reds kept charging and giving us hell, but we returned it with the same thing, but after Operation Anchorage as some of the younger officers including me was calling it, the Chinese forces steadily retreated, I guessed either abandoning Alaska all together or hiding deep in Alaskan ice crevasse." Steve concluded his short version of his story during Operation Anchorage. 

"Amazing ladies and gentlemen, you've heard it here my friends, the battle of Alaska went smoothly as expected as depicted by the news. And then what happen Steve?" Chuck inquired more. 

Steve replied "Well. We were then ordered to head to Asia to prepare a massive landing force to take on the communist threat. I didn't knew the exact details as I was only 2nd Lt at the time, but from what I've heard, is that the Chinese was stalling our efforts since at the Chinese shores, the Chinese were laying mines, and even using bombarding us with artillery. It took us a few mo this before we successfully landed in Hong Kong, Fujian, and Guang Dong as I remembered on the top of my head. I was with a carrier task force and we were supposed to be the 5th wave of reinforcements before the nukes fell. "

"Amazing...you've heard it here folks, a veteran from a great war recounting his tales of valor, heroism, and sacrifice to save the greater world. Now we're gonna take a break. I hope you ladies and gents enjoy 70s classical music because I sureeeee do

This is Chucks talks show where the truth speaks, louder than guns and sexxx. See you all very soon. 

And the song that she vaguely remembered that was now playing at the radio was from Elton John. Forgot the title since she'd only heard it twice in my previous life. 

Oh well, she guess it's not a bad music overall all things considered. 

She continued on, heading for the QC Capitol with nothing but hope, and dread as she was not great at socializing since eventually, she's gonna have to trade and gather information from the locals. And that, is troubling for a number of reasons. 

She'll cross that bridge when she meets his first well human at least in this world. 

"Man I already miss eating chicken..." She muttered, as she pushed towards her destination.

Welcome to all my dear readers and viewers. I hope you liked this chapter as I hoped since it's challenging for me to take on different characters as this is still news for me so I do apologize in advance. 

As for her location rn in map, I'll update it once she gets to the outskirts of the city itself :)

And for the music, this is the music I was referring to. 

Elton John Story of Rocket Man

I hope you all love the story so far and a new chapter will be out soon (hopefully) since I'm brainstorming ideas and how to incorporate new people for my Mc to meet. 

So I appreciate any feedback and see you guys in the next chapter! 

9