12. The Competition
73 6 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The banquet proceeded without further incidents. Aayan thanked the other monarchs for upholding the treaty, and wished for a continuous cooperation between the kingdoms. Then, after spending less than half an hour at the banquet, he stood up, holding his cup high and wished for a pleasant evening for the contestants in the competition and for their safe return from the forest. He excused himself and left.

They left soon after. None of the other monarchs regarded Temsia with favorable eyes. 

Well… surely not after Harith's actions.

They found Jamila waiting for them at the entrance of the mansion.

“The Nur guards have left,” Jamila said.

“And?” Harith prompted her.

“Whatever they were looking for, they couldn’t find,” Jamila said. “Also, they’ve looked thoroughly into your room,” she looked at Ayah. “Whatever they were searching for, they thought you had it.”

“And the child?”

Jamila shook her head. “They made no mention of her.”

“I see,” Harith said.

If it wasn’t the child, was it the dragon egg Ayah had taken from its gilded cage? The egg was safely kept in her inventory. No matter how much they looked, they wouldn’t be able to find it.

Ayah relished in the small satisfied feeling of taking something he had coveted. Something he was willing to anger the whole gathering of monarchs over.

Good, she thought. Let him look.

She would hatch the egg and raise the strongest dragon Morr had ever seen, then bring it down on his head.

“Something else happened,” Jamila said.

“What is it?” Harith glanced at her.

“Someone else was slinking around while we were preoccupied by the Nur guards.”

Loaye was standing between two guards, a pleading face hidden in the rigidity of his smile. His eyes lit up at the sight of Ayah, and he tried to take a step towards her but was stopped by one of the guards.

“I have something to tell you, something important.” He pleaded at her, then glanced at Harith. “Something for your ears alone.”

“Whatever you will tell me, he’ll find out eventually,” she shrugged. “So speak.”

He just stood there, rigid. Then as if awakened from a deep sleep, he blinked several times, his hands rubbing absentmindedly at the back of his head. “No… eh… this is about the… MC.” His jaw tensed at the end, swallowing audibly.

Harith narrowed his eyes at him, but said nothing.

Ayah sighed. “If it’s about yesterday, he already knows.”

“Ah, I see.” Loaye said, his low tone barely audible.

Ayah huffed. What did he think? That she would keep the truth about Aayan a secret?

“The child?” Loaye asked.

“Not your concern anymore,” Ayah narrowed her eyes at him.

Loaye nodded his head slowly.

“Why are you here?” Ayah asked. 

“Listen. I know I was wrong. I know,” he said hurriedly when Ayah opened her mouth to ask again. “But you should know that there was nothing I could have done to save them. When I got there, the ceremony had already started. If I had been a little bit earlier…” He trailed off, his shoulders slumping. “I tried…”

Ayah sighed. “Why are you here?” she asked again.

She stared at his hunched form with stern eyes. She wasn’t going to let him fool her again. 

Loaye glanced at Harith, then back at Ayah. his mouth opened and closed, as if he was unsure what to say. Then he exhaled deeply, as if he was resigning himself to what would happen once he revealed his secret. He looked at Ayah, his face set with determination. “The King was the one who sent the assassin after Temsia’s crown prince.”

“We already knew that,” Harith said.

Till a night ago, Ayah would have rolled her eyes at the general and told him to simmer down, that he was exaggerating. But now, after what she saw, she wondered what other atrocities the bastard had committed. How many crimes he got away with.

Loaye shook his head. “That’s not it,” he said. “You mustn’t let the crown prince participate in the competition tomorrow. The king has arranged for him to be assassinated in the forest and blame his death on the monsters.”

What followed was a complete mess. Ayah had a hard time convincing Harith to let Loaye leave with his limbs intact. He refused to believe that the author was blameless in the whole scheme of things, despite the latter's insistence about his innocence.

“Why would I believe one of Nur’s faithful subjects,” he had said.

Which was… fair.

Ayah had her own doubts too. Though she didn’t believe that he was in cohort with Aayan when it came to the murders. Or at least, she wanted to believe he didn’t.

A guard pulled Harith to the side, and spoke to him in hurried whispers. Ayah took the chance and pulled Laoye away.

“He knows,” she whispered. “Aayan knows about me.”

Loaye looked at her, his brows furrowed in thought. “I doubt that. He might suspect you’re an… accursed,” he said, tasting the word in his mouth. “But not that you’re from another world.”

Loaye always said that word− accursed− like it was something he didn’t believe in. Like, years ago, at the orphanage, when the girls in her dorm would gather at night and listen to her reading them ghost stories, the whole room illuminated by the lone dancing light of a candle. There were those who twisted their lips in something close to disbelief, their brows furrowed, always ready to pounce at every opportunity to prove that this or that were illogical or simply impossible. Loaye’s mouth would twist in the same manner, his brows carrying the same frown.

Ayah narrowed her eyes at him.

When will he divulge whatever he’s hiding from her?

“If he did, you wouldn’t be standing here,” he continued. “Believe me. He wouldn’t think twice about starting a second war to get his hands on an outworlder.”

“Outworlder?”

“A name amongst others.” He shrugged. “All that matters is that you lay low till you get back to your world.”

“Well, aren’t you a little bit too invested in my wellbeing?” Ayah snorted.

Loaye sighed. “Listen, I know I disappointed you−”

You think?”

“But this is bigger than you or I. This is about the whole world, not just Morr.”

“You know, a couple days ago I would have believed you.”

“I know. I know. But I’m speaking the truth,” he protested.

Ayah snorted.

“Even if you don’t believe me. Just believe what your eyes saw. Stay away from the king. The further you go, the better.”

“Magistrate,” Harith called, his face set into a displeased frown. “I see you’ve brought company with you,” he said.

Loaye shook his head. “What…? No. I came alone.”

Harith huffed. His scowl deepened as he regarded Loaye.

“Then, take your uninvited guest along with you. It’s preposterous that your kingdom not only lacks integrity, but also manners.”

 

The princess of Nur stood in the garden, alone, unaccompanied by any of her maids or guards. She was speaking heatedly with Shoaib, her shrill voice raising each time the prince shook his head in refusal.

She wore an unmarked dark colored cloak over her dress. A brown dress, devoid of any intricate stitchings, that looked more like a commoner’s clothing than a princess’. Her wide eyes were moist with unshed tears. A pleading expression directed at the irate boy in front of her, who stared at her with a deep frown, his arms crossed over his chest.

“Please. You have to promise me that you won’t participate in the competition.” She took hold of his hand, and squeezed it tightly. “I can’t tell you more. But please believe me when I say that nothing good would come out of it.”

“What’s happening here?” Harith asked a perplexed Jamila.

“She said she needed to talk with Prince Shoaib. But I didn’t think she would ask him to withdraw.”

Harith glanced at the princess. “She did?”

Jamila nodded. “She said she wouldn’t leave till the prince acquiesced. But…” she trailed off, her eyes resting on the fuming prince.

“If the Nur kingdom is so afraid of losing, they can just withdraw themselves and save face. These underhanded methods are shameful.”

Naila shook her head. “No, it’s not that,” she insisted. 

“Princess?” Loaye asked.

She startled so hard strands of her hair fell around her face. Her eyes widened in fear before she schooled her face into a neutral expression.

“Magistrate. I didn’t think I’ll see you here,” she said, her lips trying but failing to mold themselves into a smile.

“Ah. I used to take a stroll around here when my mind became too muddled. I must have forgotten it was allocated to one of the visiting delegations.” He muttered, jaw tensing at the end of the lie.

Ayah sighed. 

Is this all you could come up with?

Naila nodded. “The air around this area is much clearer and easier on the lungs. My mind has been preoccupied lately, I accidentally found myself here.”

Loaye nodded.

These two… are they even trying?

“Well, then. If you’ll excuse me, Prince Shoaib.” She gave a slight bow. “General Harith.” another bow. “Magistrate.” She nodded. “I’ll be taking my leave.”

She sent Shoaib a meaningful look, then left.

“I guess I should leave too.”

“Do take your time magistrate,” Harith said.

While the words seemed welcoming, Ayah had the feeling he would skin him alive were he to remain another second in his presence.

Loaye glanced at her. “Remember what I said,” he whispered, then left.

 

If she had thought convincing Harith to spare Loaye’s life was hard, convincing Shoaib not to participate in the competition was a final boss level of hard.

“Absolutely not,” he shouted. “I trained for it, for years. I will not let something as ridiculous as this stop me.”

“That’s not for you to decide. I’ve already sent word to remove your name from the list,” Harith said.

“What? Why?” Shoaib screamed. “You knew how much I trained for this! I thought you would understand!”

“Stop being immature! This is bigger than your childish pride!”

“I’m not a child!”

“Then stop acting as one!”

The two glared at each other, the tension palpable, sucking the whole air in the room, making the air in Ayah’s lungs insufficient.

She weavered, steadying herself on the back of the chair.

“You can’t order me around. I will participate in the hunt tomorrow. I don’t care what any of you think. This has nothing to do with you anyway.” Shoaib snapped.

“I can, and I will.”

“I am your crown prince!”

“I raised you!”

Whatever words Shoaib had intended to say died on his tongue. He closed his mouth with a click.

“I’m your uncle,” Harith said, quieter this time. “I was there when you were an infant, a defenseless newborn that needed assistance to be fed and clothed, that refused to be put down for more than a couple minutes. I watched you take your first steps. I taught you how to hold your sword. And heaven be my witness, I will not sit and watch you die for some foolish competition.”

Ayah breathed as quietly as she could manage. She stood, unmoving, trying to blend in with the decor. She felt like she was intruding on something private, something that should be discussed between the two family members, alone.

“I’m your uncle, and it’s my duty to protect you, even from yourself,” Harith said, his tone on the verge of cracking.

Shoaib looked startled at his uncle’s rare display of emotion. He stared at his feet, unable to meet his uncle’s eyes.

Ayah blinked in confusion as air flowed easily into her lungs.

Was… what happened earlier a manifestation of Shoaib’s powers?

A knock on the door broke the silence in the room.

“General. I was told there were some changes for the contestants’ list.” A guard entered with a parchment in hand.

Ayah glared at the guard, silently cursing him for his bad timing.

Can’t you see? They’re having a moment!

Harith cleared his throat. “Indeed. Something urgent occurred that required our immediate departure. I’m afraid the crown prince can’t take part in the hunt.”

Shoaib said nothing. He kept staring at the ground, silent.

The guard deflated. It was quite apparent they had high hopes for their little prince. 

“Notify the others. We’ll depart for Temsia tomorrow. I’ll send a new contestants list before first light.”

“Of course, general.” He bowed and left.

“Who will you send?” Shoaib asked in a small voice. “Kasim seems like a good choice. I’ve sparred with him a couple times. Or maybe Neyira.”

A ding startled Ayah. She glared at the screen, already guessing its message.

[A new Quest is available. Would player like to accept it?]

“What?” she hissed through her teeth.

[Receive the wisdom of Uliya.]

[Location : Forest of lost souls.]

Uliya? She mounted the name. Who was this?

[The system wishes the player good luck.]

Ayah narrowed her eyes. It never wished her luck before. What was the damn thing plotting?

“I’ll see who else to send,” Harith was saying.

Ayah had zoned out when the system had given her the new damned quest, so she had no idea what Harith had settled on to send instead of Shoaib. But one thing was for sure. If she wanted to get her quest done, she better butt in now than face the frightened faces of whomever was unfortunate enough to be chosen. There was no need to implicate others in whatever schemes the system concocted.

“I can go,” she said.

“What?” Both Harith and Shoaib startled, as if only now remembering her presence. They fixed her with a frown.

“I can represent Temsia in the competition.”

Shoaib shook his head. “That’s too dangerous. Each year the forest claims the souls of countless warriors. We need to send someone who has trained for such an event.”

“Who says I didn’t?”

“I dragged you here,” Shoaib said, his shoulders sagging. “I can’t in good conscience let you endanger yourself for something unrelated to you.”

“He’s right,” Harith said firmly. “I’ll send for Neyira,” he told Shoaib.

Ayah huffed. 

These stubborn…

“You said in the banquet that I was part of Temsia’s delegation. Has that changed?”

“Of course not,” Shoaib shook his head.

Harith narrowed his eyes at her, certainly suspecting what she was getting at.

Ayah smiled. “Then, it’s settled. I’ll represent Temsia in the competition. And you don’t need to get the other four contestants. I would rather go by myself.”

Each kingdom sent five warriors into the forest. It wasn’t a big number. But it also meant that each kingdom risked losing only five of its warriors instead of a whole army.

“Absolutely not!” Harith snapped.

Ayah glared at him. Why was he being so difficult?

“I promise I won’t bring shame to Temsia, if that’s what you're worried about.”

She intended to get out alive, and find a way back to her world. Thank you very much.

“That’s not it−”

“Come on. I’m an accursed. What’s the worst that could happen?”

A small voice at the back of her mind, silently noted that it was the first time she ever referred to herself as such. She wasn’t the only one who noticed, going by the other two’s surprised looks.

“I want to go alone.”

“Out of the question.”

Ayah tusked. What would get him to accede to her?

She sighed mournfully. “To be honest with you. They’ll only slow me down.”

Harith glared at her. “My warriors are−”

“−The best trained warriors in the whole continent of Morr,” she finished for him, grinning. “I know. But sadly, they’ll still get in my way.”

Harith looked at her, unimpressed.

“I’ll knock them down, and throw them out the forest.” She challenged him, hands on her hips. “What would the other kingdoms say when they see your warriors unconscious at the edge of the forest?”

Of course she knew she wasn’t capable of such feats. 

But Harith didn't know that.

And like she was taught; a weakness your enemy is unaware of is a strength.

“Can you imagine the headlines tomorrow? Cause I can.” She waved her hands in a horizontal line. “Temsia: The kingdom of incompetency.”

Harith sighed, running his hand over his face. “This is getting ridiculous.”

“I think these would suit your build,” Jamila said as she ran an assessing eyes over Ayah.

The armor was the usual blue of the Temsian army, the crest at the center of the chestplate.

She turned to Ayah. “Is it true then? I heard you will be participating alone in the competition.”

Ayah nodded.

“Will you be okay?” she asked with concern.

“I still do not agree.” Shoaib looked dismayed.

“I will be fine,” Ayah drawled. “Don’t worry,” she said, ruffling his hair..

Shoaib turned his head away, pouting.

“These need a little bit of adjustment,” Harith said. 

Without a second word, he extended his hand towards the armor and sword. Darkness exploded over them. Ayah stared, transfixed, as their color turned an obsidian black for a second, before reverting to their original colors.

“I reinforced them a bit. Though that doesn’t mean they're invincible. You should still be careful.”

He shifted to the side, allowing her access to them. Not a second later, the system’s ding sounded.

[Item found : Shadow armor. Would you like to collect it?]

[Item found : Shadow sword. Would you like to collect it?]

She hesitated. What if they disappeared like all the items she acquired? She glanced at Shoaib’s expectant face, and Harith’s almost indifferent look.

But then again… they already knew she was an accursed. There was no need for her to hide from them.

“Yes,” she said.

Just as she expected, both the armor and the sword disappeared. The armor appeared around her torso, the blue dress getting all bunched up under the blue metal. The sword fit into her grasp, warm and lighter than the one she had lost. 

“That’s… I’ve never seen an ability like this.” Shoaib’s eyes were wide and unblinking.

“It does come in handy sometimes.” Ayah shrugged.

Jamila took out a notebook and jotted down some words.

Ayah glanced at the two screens hovering in front of her and decided to take a look first at the one that kept blinking for hours.

[You have an unread message.]

“What?” she asked, her voice barely a whisper.

[You’ve fought and bled, surviving the impossible!]

[Congratulations! You’ve unlocked a new stats : Endurance.]

[Endurance : 5]

Endurance? Now? Wasn’t that a bit late? And what was with the single digit? She had thought she was beyond that by now. She should have at least gotten 40 for all the beating she had suffered.

She glanced at the second screen and her mounting anger subsided.

[New item acquired : Shadow Armor ]

[Shadow Armor Lv.1]

[Health : 120]

[Phy DEF : 45 ]

[Magic DEF : 45 ]

[Crit Resist : 9% ]

[New item acquired : Shadow Sword ]

[Shadow Sword Lv.1]

[Attack : 35 ]

[Crit : 5% ]

As someone who has started with a 50 health and 10 in both attack and defense, these were epic items. She glanced at level 1 next to their names. Did that mean they could also be leveled up?

“They’re perfect. Thanks.” She smiled at Harith.

“It was nothing.” He waved her off.

“He means you’re welcome.” Shoaib grinned, ignoring the annoyed look from his uncle.

“General. After her return, I would like your permission to perform a little test.” Jamila stared at Ayah with gleaming eyes. “The world doesn’t know much about your kind and their peculiar abilities. I think it would help ease some tension if we shed some light on those mysteries.”

“She’s not a wild creature for you to experiment on.” Harith clicked his tongue.

Jamila startled. She looked offended that he thought that of her. “Of course not. I know that. That's why I asked for permission!”

“It’s not my permission you must ask for.”

Jamila turned to her. “You would, right?”

As long as it wasn’t anything outlandish, and it could somehow help the others, she didn’t see why not. Even though Ayah herself wasn’t an accursed but was rather blessed−cursed− with a system.

Ayah shrugged. Jamila’s face lit up, and she turned bright eyes to Harith.

Harith sighed. “Still a no.”

“It would be helpful−” she protested.

“No.”

“General!”

“I said no and that’s final.”

“General!”

Ayah sighed. She exchanged a look with Shoaib, and they both sneaked away, leaving the bickering pair.

 

“I’m sorry. I still have yet to repay you for saving me, twice, and yet, here you are helping me out again.”

Ayah ruffled his hair. “I told you, you don’t need to thank me.”

“Still…” His shoulders sagged in defeat, a deep sigh escaping his lips.

The poor kid looked more dejected than she thought. Ayah smiled. It has been years since someone was so sad at the thought of parting ways with her. It made her feel like she was needed. Like she had a place here.

“Here is the thing,” she nudged him in the side. When he looked up at her, she continued, “when I get back, I would like a big room overlooking the royal gardens, with a big balcony.” She extended her arms wide.

“You got it.” He nodded, a too serious expression on his face.

Ayah had to restrain herself not to laugh.

“What else do you wish for?” he asked.

She looked up at the night sky. What else would she wish for? Ayah didn’t know. She was used to working hard for everything she wanted. Life had instilled into her that nothing was without a price, that she had to sweat and bleed to achieve her goals.

What else would she wish for?

“Breakfast, lunch, and dinner,” she said, warmth flooding her chest, and a wishful smile pulling at her lips. “I want all four of us to eat together. Every single day.”

The morning of the competition, the mansion was a whole mess. Everyone was getting ready to depart. Jamila was instructing some warriors on how to handle her collection of highly dangerous glass vials.

She wanted to bid goodbye to Shoaib and Harith, but she found none of them around. With a dejected sigh, she took a longer route to the flower grove− the entrance to the forest of lost souls. She had no desire to see Aayan’s face so soon.

She looked like a lamb ready for slaughter standing next to the other kingdoms’ contestants, with their bulky physique and even bulkier armors that made them look like slow moving tanks rather than the powerful fighters they intended to look like.

Well… at least they should be able to take heavy damage with such thick armors. Their swords and spears glinted under the morning sun, polished to a shine.

The monarchs sat in an elevated pavilion. They looked down at their warriors, some with pride, others with apprehension. Only Aayan was standing amongst his warriors, talking, a gentle and so deceptively virtuous smile on his face.

Loaye’s presence was a bit of a surprise to her. He stood next to Aayan, nodding to whatever the king was saying.

She stared at him. Then why was he trying to hide her existence from his king?

Was he pretending?

Aayan noticed her and his smile widened.

“Temsia’s guest. What a pleasant surprise!” 

Loaye choked on air. He doubled over, coughing, his lungs doing their best to exit his chest through his throat.

Aayan spared him a confused glance before he turned to her.

“I was saddened when I heard of Temsia’s sudden emergency,” he said, not one bit of sadness present in his tone. “I had thought you, as their guest, would have left with them. And yet, here you are.” his eyes creaked into a pleased smile.

“I’m here as Temsia’s contestant.”

“Alone?” Aayan asked, though the smile dimmed a bit at the edges, his eyes darting somewhere behind her.

“There’s been a slight change to the list,” a voice said.

Ayah stilled.

Impossible.

She slowly turned, and her wide-eyed eyes met gray ones.

Standing behind her, was the biggest idiot Ayah had ever met− besides herself that is.

Harith, the dumbass who should have been on his way to Temsia, glanced at her then back at Aayan.

“Both her and I shall represent the kingdom of Temsia,” he said.

 


 

Author’s note:

I’ll come back later and fix any mistakes I find. I hope there won’t be much :’)

And again, thanks for reading! :)

If you have enjoyed the chapter, please consider reviewing. It really helps!

7