Chapter 14: Farewell
46 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Damn, i can't sleep.

I felt so tired after the bath but now i'm wide awake.

I lift my head to look at the window.

It's still dark outside, so i assume it must be around midnight.

Knowing what time it is in the old world was something you did all the time, almost unconsciously, by looking at your wristwatch, phone or any clock you came across.

I didn't pay much attention to it but i still needed to know it.

So having a clock would be nice.

I'm sure this world isn't so primitive that it doesn't have clocks, i just haven't looked properly.

How would people like Alfreda's father arrive on time for his job in Luton.

And it's not like i have places to be.

Why am i even noticing stuff like this?

Damn it, am i becoming more aware of my surroundings after arriving in this world?

In the old world my sole goal was to become the strongest, so i didn't pay much attention to anything else.

Do i actually feel overwhelmed?

Is this anxiousness, or frustration?

I turn to my side and clutch my chest, i can feel my heart beating slightly faster.

Tsk, i hate this feeling!

I sit on the edge of my bed.

Sigh, i guess i'll go outside to get some fresh air and maybe do some training to calm my nerves.

I walk over to my dresser and put on a t-shirt and shorts.

After slowly closing the door to my room, i silently walk towards the staircase, when i suddenly notice light coming out from beneath the door to Eric's and Anna's room.

I hear soft whispers coming from the other side and i get closer to listen.

"Eric, i need it right now, i can't wait any longer."

"Anna calm down. You have to be quiet or Stella might hear."

"Purr, then it looks like you have to keep me quiet nya~."

"Haha, i guess it can't be helped."

I've heard enough and i step away from the door.

They do it quite often so i got used to tuning it out.

I'm surprised they lasted this long since we have a guest, or i just didn't notice.

 

I close the backyard door and take a nice long breath.

The cool night air calms my nerves.

"Couldn't sleep?"

I look to my side to see Stella sitting on the bench.

She is wearing a white blouse and a brown skirt.

I walk over to her and take a seat on the bench.

"No. I take it you couldn't sleep either?"

"I wanted to see the night sky, the stars to be specific."

I side-eye her.

She looks to be captivated by the stars.

They are reflected on her sapphire eyes.

Her lips are slightly parted, a light blush on her cheeks, few strands of hair fall from behind her ear to her side.

"Do you like the stars Alex?"

"I think they're okay."

"I love them. Did you know that the stars and magic are somewhat connected?"

"No, i don't, but i guess you're going to explain it to me?"

"Those who study those two are called astrologers, and it is rumored that they're capable of telling the future by using magic to read the positions of celestial bodies."

"Have you ever met one? Are they strong?"

"Once but only briefly. They're rare because they're looked down upon by most of the magical community, mainly because their predictions have been rather inaccurate. They also tend to live like hermits."

Heh, i'm not surprised.

"When it comes to combat they aren't exceptionally powerful but can be unpredictable."

"Hmm, i'll keep that in mind if i ever encounter one."

She brings her hand to her mouth and chuckles.

"Heh, do you intend to fight everyone you come across?

"If i have to."

She turns back to look at the sky.

"Another reason why i like watching the stars is that the goddess of magic lives among them, in her domain made out of and filled with magic."

"Do you worship her or something?"

"Kinda. I'm grateful that she blessed me with magic that rivals my desire to study it."

I open my mouth to ask how much it would be, but decide against it as i can already predict what her answer is going to be.

She notices this and puts a finger on her lips with a small smile.

"It's a secret."

I scoff at her.

"Yeah, you didn't have to say it out loud."

We sit in silence for a moment until she speaks up.

"I'll be leaving tomorrow."

"Is that so?"

"Yes, i'm grateful for you and your family for allowing me to stay until i've recovered, and even past it."

"Tell that to them tomorrow. I'm sure they'll appreciate it."

"You don't?"

"I don't really care."

An awkward pause.

"You must be wondering what happened to me?"

I turn to look at her.

"Out of all the secrets you have, this one i'd like to hear the most, considering it's the reason you're here."

"I'm willing to tell you, but on the condition that you will keep it to yourself, i don't want to worry your parents."

She says with a sudden serious tone which surprises me.

"I'm fine with that."

She takes a deep breath.

"Do you remember when we first met?"

"The wagon? Sure."

"The group i was with was an adventurer party created by the brothers, Pyke and Vilke, who were sitting in the wagon with me. I met them a few months ago and they invited me to their party and i've been traveling with them ever since. We arrived here in Mercia just a few days before we passed here."

"What about the scarred big guy?"

Her hand twitches when i mention him.

"M-Mercia has an adventurers guild, that's where the brothers met him and asked him to join. His name was Lucan. After that we took a quest which instructed us to go to the forest."

"What were you going to do there?"

"It was a simple quest. All we had to do was to pass through it to make sure it was safe to use."

"I guess things didn't go according to plan?"

"Yes. We passed it back and forth a few times to make sure there wasn't anything dangerous. Evening came and the brothers suggested that we set up camp there and then report back to the guild the next day."

"What happened then?"

"During the night i woke up to some noise. I thought everyone was asleep so i turned on my sleeping bag to see..."

She pauses for a moment and grabs the hem of her skirt.

"When i turned around i saw Lucan stab Vilke, who had fallen asleep while keeping guard."

I furrow my eyebrows, i didn't expect something like that to happen.

"Vilke cried in pain which caused Pyke to wake up but Lucan lunged and stabbed him too. He then looked at me and i could tell he was intending to do more than stab me too, so i got up and ran as fast i could."

Another pause, it's clear that remembering these events are causing a great deal of distress to her.

"He started running after me. He caught me and pinned me down but i managed to get my hand free and use magic to burn his face which allowed me to get him off me and i ran towards the horse that pulled our wagon. He then took Vilke's bow and shot an arrow on my leg."

The rest i can fill in my head.

As much as she tries to hide it, i can see her hand trembling quite a bit.

A few tears have formed on the corners of her eyes.

I thought her party had run into some bandits or something, not one of her party members backstabbing and murdering them.

I look away from her and reach out to touch her shoulder.

She looks at me, surprised by the gesture.

"I'd prefer it if you didn't start crying in front of me."

She wipes her tears and smiles.

"Thank you Alex, i appreciate it."

I take my hand off her and cross my arms while leaning back on the bench.

"Mmh."

"I'm sorry for telling you what happened to me, i should've kept it to myself. It's something a kid shouldn't hear."

"You don't have have to be concerned about me. I actually think blasting Lucan's face with fire was a nice touch."

"What do you mean?"

She asks confused.

"It tells me you aren't weak. Instead of letting him have his way with you, you actually fought back. Despite your fear, you were able to act and free yourself."

"Oh, i didn't think it like that. Thank you, i guess. I have encountered dangerous situations before but this, this was somehow different."

"The guy looked suspicious anyway, the brothers were fools to trust him."

We sit in silence and she seems to have calmed down.

"You're a rather strange boy Alex."

I frown at her.

"Are you making fun of me?"

"Heh, maybe a little. You're not like other kids i've come across. This was most evident by how differently you behave when compared to Alfreda, if i remember her name correctly. It feels like i'm talking to a grown up."

I look into the distance.

"Well, you're not the only one with secrets."

"Haha, true."

We both remain silent and just stare at the sky.

"AH!"

We both hear a sudden loud moan through the window of my parents bedroom.

Stella rubs her hands nervously while blushing.

My heart skipped a beat and i stare ahead with my eyes wide open.

"S-Sorry, you had to hear that."

"I-It's okay, haha. Seems like your parents love each other very much."

"Maybe too much."

"Heh."

We continue sitting in silence, until we notice the light go out of their room.

"I think they're done. I'm going back to bed."

Stella nods and follows me back inside.

"Good night Alex."

She says to me as i ascend the stairs.

"Night."

 

Next day, noon.

 

Stella is helping Anna clean the kitchen.

Unlike when she first arrived, her clothes are all patched up and clean.

White blouse, brown jacket on top of it, brown skirt, shoes and on top of it all brown robes that reach her knees.

"It's a shame you have to leave today Stella, i really appreciate your help."

"It's the least i could do. There is no need to thank me."

"The least you could do? You fixed my garden and helped Eric with fieldwork."

Anna approaches her and gives her a hug.

She gets surprised and blushes.

"I-I just wanted to repay your hospitality."

Stella resumes cleaning while hiding her blush.

"And i'm happy that you decided to teach Alex about magic, i swear that boy isn't interested in anything other than training and punching that tree all day long."

"Heh, he's a strange child indeed."

They both chuckle but then Anna looks rather sad.

"He worries me, y'know? He's so secluded and distant. I've never seen him smile, he never calls me and Eric, mom or dad, like he doesn't acknowledge us as his parents."

"...Oh, i didn't know that about him."

"So it really means a lot to us, especially me when Alfreda and you spend time with him, even if he doesn't seem to like it."

Hearing her reveal these things about me makes Stella look down in thought.

"...you're not the only one with secrets."

These words suddenly appear in her mind.

Anna wipes a tear off her eye on her sleeve.

"Ah, sorry, i shouldn't bother you with my worries."

"No, it's okay. I think it's perfectly normal for a parent to be worried about their child."

Anna smiles in appreciation.

"That's sweet of you say dear, thank you."

Anna looks out of the kitchen window.

"Oh, look! Eric and Alex are back with your horse."

Stella sets down the rag she used for cleaning and pats her robes.

"Then the time has come for me to resume my journey."

She stands straight and offers a formal bow to Anna.

"My words cannot truly express how grateful i am to you and your family for taking such good care of me. Thank you."

Anna walks over to her and holds Stella's hand with both hands.

"You will always be welcome in our home, Stella."

She then pulls her in for a hug.

Stella is surprised by this sudden gesture but quickly recovers and returns the hug in kind.

 

Stella steps outside with her mage hat on her head and her staff strapped to her back, just in time as Eric and i arrive at the gate.

"My friend took great care of it during your stay. Good luck on your journey."

Eric ties the horse's reigns loosely on the gate.

"Thank you Eric, how much do i owe to your friend?"

"Haha, no need to worry about that, it has all been taken care of."

"Oh, thank you. Goodbye then."

Stella is about to grab the reins when she sees me disappear around the corner of the house.

I'm heading to the backyard when i suddenly hear Stella's voice.

"Alex, wait."

I turn around and to see her approaching me.

"What? Is there something wrong with your horse?"

I ask with my hands in my pockets.

"No, but i wanted to say goodbye, since i'm leaving now."

"Oh, bye then."

I'm about to walk away when she interrupts me again.

"Alex."

"What?"

I say rather impatiently.

"Before i do leave, can i show you something?"

"See what exactly? I have stuff to do."

"You'll see when we get there. It's not far and i promise it will be interesting."

I think for a moment and finally give in.

"Fine."

We get back to the gate and Stella unties the horse and gets on top of it.

She looks at me curiously when she sees me standing quite far from the horse.

"What are you waiting for Alex?"

I look at the horse and her.

"You want me to get on the horse?"

"Um, yes?"

"...No."

"Why not? It's gentle, it won't bite."

"Yeah, right. It looks like it's gonna kick my face in."

The horse looks quite sad after hearing what i said.

Stella waves her finger and magic surrounds me.

"What are you!?"

I lift up and float towards the horse, and land in front of Stella.

"Now then, let's go."

She says with a teasing tone.

"Grunt."

 

We travel towards Luton on horseback.

"Are you afraid of horses Alex?"

"No!"

"Then why the hesitation?"

"Shut up! I just don't like them, i'd rather walk."

"Heh."

She chuckles.

"So, are you telling me where we are going?"

Stella steers the horse to enter a large grassfield.

"Just around here."

We ride further in and stop.

"Let's get off here."

She gets off the horse and again uses magic to lift me off it and i grunt when she sets me down.

Once on the ground, i adjust my clothes and the horse neighs with behind me.

It startles me and i quickly move away from it while frowning at it.

Stella walks a little further into the field and i quickly catch up with her.

She stops walking and turns to face me.

"Aside from flying us back to your home, you haven't seen what magic can truly do."

I narrow my eyes slightly at her.

"Oh, are you going to show me another spell?"

"Not just another spell. An offensive spell, meant for attacking. I want you to see and understand what mages are capable of."

She brings her staff in front of her and the magic crystal activates, glowing light blue.

"I hope this staff won't break by what i'm about to do."

She thinks to herself and focuses.

A small, light blue orb forms above the staff, slowly growing larger.

It spins rapidly like a vortex and strands of magic surround it, like it's sucking them inside it.

The vortex is getting stronger, the wind around Stella is beginning to circulate her, bending grass towards the growing orb.

"Observe carefully Alex! Right now i'm channeling my magic in to the orb."

I bring my hands in front of my face, struggling to keep my eyes open due to the increasing wind.

"What are you doing!?"

She doesn't answer and raises her staff higher, the orb is now larger than she is.

I drop on one knee, the wind pressure is deafening.

What is she going to do with that orb!?

Is she going to strike it in to the ground or throw it somewhere!?

At this point the horse gets scared and runs away us.

"Stella!"

I try to shout her name but it's futile, the air current is too loud.

Sweat drops form on her forehead but she remains focused and determined.

The orb shines brightly and it's like we're inside a tornado.

I struggle to stay still and if i attempt stand up, i'm sure it will take me with it.

At this point the orb is at least three times her size and she is holding it above her.

The effort and concentration required by the spell causes her to grit her teeth.

"Arcana Orb!"

She shouts and the orb shoots high into the sky at great speed, causing her to stumble a few steps back but she recovers.

She looks up and focuses her gaze to the orb, which is rapidly gaining altitude.

She widens her stance and brings her staff to her side.

The staff's magic crystal activates again and begins to crackle.

I notice my hair standing up and taste something metallic.

The air around us begins to be charge with static electricity.

The crackling becomes more intense, small particles of electricity flying off it.

With a quick motion of her arm, she brings her staff in front of her, as if using it to throw something.

"Lighting Spear!"

A huge spear of blue lighting launches from her staff and heads straight towards the orb at even greater speed.

Stella then turns around to face me and spreads her arms.

"Witness the power of a mage!"

At the same time, the spear makes contact with the orb and it explodes into a massive fireball behind her.

A moment later, the sound of the explosion and the pressure wave reaches us, making her robes flutter and making me fall on my butt.

I stare at the sight in shock and wide open eyes, the grass being moved violently, the huge explosion and finally Stella, the one who caused it.

All i can feel in this instant is amazement, admiration, excitement and... despair.

Stella collapses on her knees, exhausted and short of breath.

"Huff, huff."

I keep staring at the dissipating ball of fire with my mouth open.

Is this what mages are capable of?

If one is blessed with magic they can do this?

"i'm not sensing any magic in you."

I remember her words and grasp the grass beneath my hands and they begin to tremble.

I make eye contact with Stella, who sees my expression.

She looks at me confused, my breath quickens and frustration builds up.

HOW AM I GOING TO FIGHT AGAINST SOMETHING LIKE THIS!?

 

Stella walks up to me while i'm still on the ground.

"Are you okay Alex?"

She offers her hand to me.

I stare at it for a moment, then shake my head and get up on my own.

"I-I'm fine!"

I pat my clothes and let out a deep sigh.

"How am i supposed to defeat a mage like you? I can't use magic."

I ask with a tone of defeat but keep a neutral expression while staring into the distance.

She looks down and to her side.

"You have to discover that on your own."

She understands what i'm thinking.

How can someone who can't use magic, fight against it with physical prowess alone.

"But you aren't weak Alex. I believe you will become stronger and find a way to fight against magic."

I shake my head and come back to my senses.

"Of course i will. I will become stronger no matter what."

She gives me a faint smile.

Her horse has come back to us and she gets on it.

"Consider this demonstration of magic a parting gift."

She steers the horse to face the road.

"And i enjoyed my time here Alex, i won't forget you or your family."

I roll my eyes at her and cross my arms.

"I don't really care if you do."

She chuckles.

"You sure are strange. Hopefully we will meet again someday, i'm curious how strong you have become by then."

"Perhaps, but i wouldn't count on it."

"You'd be surprised how small the world can be. Farewell, Alex."

"...Bye."

With that she gives me a one final smile and rides to Luton.

 

I admit these past few days have been interesting, i learned quite a bit.

Being able to use magic would've been a useful addition to my skills, but i'm not too bothered by it.

But surprisingly Alfreda can use holy magic, like Anna.

Maybe she can teach her something, despite her lack of knowledge.

Stella, the mage.

That name will remain in my mind, whether i like it or not.

2