Chapter one: the last of a defiant prideful race.
613 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sounds of birds could be heard around me, my paws tread the moist leafy grass as I chased my mother through the forest. Her graceful white form turned back a few times to make sure I was close behind. Today was my first hunt. we chased a unicorn through the undergrowth, however fast or elusive they may be the cannot escape the emperor of the beasts the Fenrir. Before long my mother cornered it and I ran up and tackled it to the ground. Using my fands I crushed it’s throat ending its life without pain.

 

“Did I do good?”

 

I wagged my tail as I asked my mother for praise.

 

“Fufufufu yes my darling son you did great.”

 

She went up to the majestic horse and picked it up in her massive mouth. The unicorn paled in comparison to her who stood as tall and as big as the trees. My mother wasn’t full-grown if she was, she would be as big as a small mountain. I was smaller than her but was still as big as the unicorn. My mother was young but older than most humans could age in this world. My mom was very young for a mother, 45 years old. Fenrir have an indefinite lifespan, but if you were to compare her to a regular canine she would be about two, and to a human fourteen. Mother was indeed young but she stood above most of the monsters in the great forest in terms of power. She feared nothing. My father was twice as big as her… 

Keyword… was.

 

When my mother was pregnant he went out to find food but never came back. She went out to find him only to find he was dissected and skinned by humans. They desecrated his corpse for parts and left most of it behind, the mana from his body contaminated the surroundings and killed off the plants and turned the animals into monsters. Humans regarded us as disasters, however, Fenrir was a race that wanted little to do with humans and rarely involved ourselves with them. The reason they killed us was for our magic stone, it contained our soul force which allowed us to build up mana and live forever. The humans used that to power their cities and gain more power throughout their kingdoms. But Fenrir was thought to be going extinct and the humans sought other methods. So our soul stones were mainly bought as jewelry and passed down as heirlooms. 

 

It was a gross and despicable thing.

 

Fenrir never truly died even in that form they just waited to be returned to the forest for rebirth.

 

They probably never will return…ever.

 

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

 

We came to the ancestral plain to have our meal blessed by our ancestors before we ate. Mother dropped the unicorn on the altar made of one of the sacred oaks. The unicorn lay still, then we bow our head and let our soul stones absorb the unicorns magical energy. It gradually disappeared and the alter returned to its empty state.

 

“Alway remember to give thanks to those who sacrificed themselves for our survival and pray that one day they may return to us.”

 

“Yes mother”

 

We turned away from the altar and began walking to the ruins built by the Beastmen in honor of the Fenrir. Mother picked me up by the scruff and walked into an old church she then lay down and set me down. 

 

“You are dirty, lay still.”

 

She began licking my fur getting rid of the dirt from today’s hunt.

 

I began to enjoy her tung as she licked me from head to tail.

 

I felt a smell tickle my nose. I wiggled my nose in the direction of the smell.

 

“Mother, what that?”

 

Mother had noticed before I ever did cause she immediately picked me up again and ran out of the ruins.

I saw orange lights coming from the opposite side of the ruin entrance. Voices could be heard.

 

Humans.

 

Mother ran with all her might jumping over the rocks, trees, and bushes, she halted as nine humans had blockaded the forest.

 

“Well shit here were are doing extermination and a literal mountain of gold jumps into our trap”

 

The man who said was a dark night that rode on a black horse covered in black armor. He had a shield on it was an emblem depicting green lizard pierced by a lance. 

 

Mother ran to her left to escape the blockade.

 

“Quick don’t let it escape five gold for anyone able to land a hit on it!”

 

Mother kept running never stopping blockades were set all over the forest, the further she ran the more common they got. The humans had set this up a long time ago. More than likely to exterminate the surrounding monsters and burn the forest for territorial expansion.

 

I noticed mother began slowing down, red spots began appearing on her fur. A cliff in the shape of a bowl came into view. She set me down and put me between her legs. The humans were in front of us more than six hundred. They trapped us.

 

“Wow! two in one look at that!” 

 

“Isn’t that double the money?”

 

“Idiot! It’s too small!”

 

“We could capture it and sell it as a pet to a wealthy noble!”

 

“Awe man that’s a great idea!”

 

“Archers!”

 

The sounds of the strings of bows could be heard.

 

My mother not looking at me but yet acknowledging me spoke.

 

My son forgive your mother for what she is going to do… never do this for it will end your life cycle, the only way for me to save you is to self-detonate my core. There is a way do bring me back you must gather as much Magicka into my empty core then bring me back to the world stone to rebuild my body”

 

“Mother don’t leave me!”

 

“I’m sorry, my son…”

 

Then without another word, her magic stone was ripped from her chest and glowed a brilliant blue light. As if crying a small drop drew down its edge. 

 

Then it went pure white.

 

10