Chapter six: a stable foundation.
400 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Don* ka* don* ka* don*

 

Creeeeek*

 

The sounds of wood being cut and the sounds of hammers could be heard throughout the forest. The beastraces for the first time in a century had decided to stop running and fight against human oppression. What they needed more than anything was a place to call home a sanctuary within the forest guarded by the gods of the beast folk. 

 

The beastraces had long revered the Fenrir as the protectors of the forest. the humans had told the beast folk that the Fenrir had been hunted to complete Extinction. The beast folk did not believe this and scoured the ancestral Forest of the Fenrir. The beast folk send a party to the ruins and found thousands of bones of their once-revered Fenrir.

 

The beast folk enraged gathered a four million-strong army. The humans who had long been preparing for that occasion released a toxic gas that would cause blindness and skin lesions to beast folk on the battlefield. After the gas kicked in, the humans slaughtered all the beast folk.

 

Defeated and humiliated, the beast folk retreated to the corners of the lands where they were slowly hunted and enslaved. 

 

But a light shined in the darkness of the beastraces hearts, it was said that a Fenrir

Was spotted in the heart of the cataclysm Forest. They sent scouts to the western region of the Eastern continent. Humans did not know why but they still hunted them down before they could get there.

 

Come a century later a Direwolf by the name of Cara led her family to the border of the forest where they were beset by humans and saved by a Fenrir. she immediately returned to the last retreat where the beastraces resided and told them the news.

 

The beastraces of every kind braved the danger and followed Cara to the resting place of the last Fenrir.

 

And now…

 

A wolf watched from atop a large rock, looking down at the beast folk building a small town below. With one eye he observed the trees he planted two hundred years ago being cut down. He did not say anything, he did not move to stop them with one eye he just observed.

 

The pattering of paws could be heard behind him, a reborn Fenrir named Sil walked up at and sat down. The one-eyed Fenrir did not remove his gaze but continued observing the beast folk build.

 

"It's ok to cry"

 

"I'm not going to cry"

 

"It's hard to give things up sometimes, sometimes you just need to give things up"

 

"I don't know what you’re talking about"

 

"What he means is sometimes it hurts to see hard work go down the drain"

 

Another female Fenrir came up from behind. 

 

"It's not going down the drain"

 

"We get it, buddy, just let it out"

 

"I told you I'm not upset"

 

"I'll give you some space, just come talk to me when your done sulking"

 

"I'm not sulking"

 

The two Fenrir left leaving him alone. 

 

"I'm not sulking it’s just I buried something under those trees now I'll never find it"

 

The sound of more paws could be heard behind. 

 

'what is it now…'

 

"Oh, emperor of the forest…"

 

The one-eyed Fenrir looked behind without completely turning his head.

 

"What?"

 

"It's just that we have been here for four days and we still don't know what to call you?"

 

"I don't have a name"

 

"That is…"

 

The Fenrir thought for a moment, then remembered what the humans called him. The name that was feared amongst all.

 

"Call me Lykaion"

 

The wolves lowered their heads and left, leaving Lykaion alone. He returned his attention back to the beast folk building the sanctuary. He thought back on the last time he associated himself this much with other beings. He had always been a loner since he was just a pup. He never let anyone join him, he always sought revenge on his own. Perhaps he would still have his right eye if he had just sought out help from the beginning. 

 

"Hmm? This? Interesting…"

 

A familiar presence could be felt stumbling about in the forest. He had thought nothing of it then, but her will to live is admirable.

 

"So be it. you've made your point."

 

He got up from his rock and vanished into thin air.

 

Somewhere in the forest, a blonde girl sought desperate help.

9