A Snowy Evening
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Six Years Ago...

A young girl dashed down the sidewalk, her long dirty blonde hair trailing behind her in a wave as she propelled herself forward, her feet pounding against the pavement until she almost collided with another girl with shoulder-length dark brown hair, strolling leisurely toward the bus stop.

"Aiko! I told you to wait," the girl with blonde hair exclaimed as she grasped Aiko's left arm.

Aiko turned with a perplexed expression, removing the earplugs from her ears. She blinked twice at the blonde-haired girl, tilting her head to the left. "Oh, Emi, what did you just say? And why do you look like you ran here?" she asked softly.

Emi shook her head, sighing heavily as she gazed into Aiko's amber eyes with her warm golden-brown ones. They were both dressed in sailor-style uniforms, though Emi's was more fitted while Aiko's was a bit loose. Both blouses were adorned with a red ribbon tied in a bow. Aiko's blouse was paired with a pleated navy blue skirt that fell to the knee, while Emi's was slightly above the knee. They both wore white knee-high socks.

"Aiko, I told you to wait for me," Emi said quietly, pouting slightly. 

 Aiko shook her head and replied softly, "I wasn't listening. That's why I assumed you were right behind me. You should have known I wasn't listening," Aiko explained calmly as she turned around and walked towards the bus stop.

"You're so cold, Aiko," Emi muttered under her breath.

" Stop murmuring to yourself and let's go, I don't want to be late this time. " Aiko added and continued walking ahead. She walked slowly because she didn't seem to want to hurry. 

Emi had a deadpan expression as she watched Aiko walk slowly and thought, ' she doesn't walk like someone who wants to go to school early. '

 After some time, she followed alongside Aiko , and soon They reached the bus stop after ten minutes of silent walking, standing amidst a few other people who were also waiting for the bus.

The bus arrived soon after, and Emi and Aiko boarded, finding seats together, Emi sat on the seat at the front and Aiko sat on the seat behind her . As Aiko settled into her seat, her gaze landed on a boy sitting a few seats behind them. He had shoulder-length, jet black hair and was wearing a white shirt with a pair of black denim overalls. His legs were crossed, and he wore a solemn expression on his face. 'He doesn't look beyond eighteen or seventeen years,' she thought, but her train of thought was interrupted when their eyes made contact. To Aiko's surprise, he was quite handsome. His most distinctive feature was his eyes, a mesmerizing blend of shades reminiscent of ocean waters or tropical lagoons—a captivating hue that combined the tranquility of blue with the vibrancy of green. The stranger's eyes went wide for a moment, then quickly dropped down, and Aiko realized she had been looking at him for a while, which wasn't polite.

'He's too handsome, not my type,' Aiko thought as she looked away. Meanwhile, the guy also averted his gaze, his cross-shaped left earring dangling from his left ear, making it stand out. Aiko decided to look at the bus's window instead of staring at him. The stranger seemed too focused on whatever was written in his notebook to care if the brunette looked at him.

Emi, turned back to look at Aiko and asked, "Aiko, can I sit next to you?" As she pointed to the empty  space beside her, smiling warmly at Aiko, who nodded and returned a strained  yet intimidating smile. ' she still doesn't know how to smile properly ' Emi thought as she stood up and took the space beside Aiko.

Aiko and Emi shared a special bond and were practically inseparable. Despite not having much in common, their friendship was strong.

They first met on a snowy night three years ago.

*Flashback*

It was evening, and Emi hurried out of her house, carrying a white nylon bag filled with cat food, milk, and cat toys. Her black boots sunk into the fluffy white powder of the snow as her short black coat fluttered in the wind. Emi's dirty blonde curls blew in all directions, and her golden brown eyes shone with a bright spirit as she ran towards the alleyway. Panting loudly, she reached the dimly lit alley and spotted a medium-sized wooden structure that looked like it could house a cat.

She crouched down, her breath forming small clouds in the chilly air, and peeked through the opening of the wooden structure. "Yumi, I'm here. I brought your food and toys," Emi said softly, her voice echoing in the quiet alley. Yumi, the black cat, remained still, offering no response or acknowledgment to Emi's presence. "Yumi, come on, don't be rude," she tried again, this time with a louder voice, but still, there was no reaction from the feline.

"I have cat food and cat toys," Emi added, her smile faltering slightly as she gazed at Yumi. Yet, the cat remained motionless, ignoring Emi's attempts to engage her. "Okay, okay, Yumi, if you don't want to eat, that's okay," Emi whispered, disappointment evident in her voice as she stood up. To her surprise, Yumi made no move to follow her usual routine.

Emi's eyes widened in shock as she immediately crouched down again and reached out to touch Yumi's body. It was cold and stiff, sending a chill down Emi's spine. "Yumi..." she mumbled under her breath, her heart sinking as she gently pulled the lifeless cat out from the shelter. Cradling Yumi in her arms, Emi looked down at the cat's lifeless form with a numb expression in her eyes. "Yumi's dead... Yumi left me alone," she whispered, the weight of the realization settling heavily on her shoulders.

As Emi struggled to process the sudden loss, the sound of footsteps echoed from the entrance of the alley. Turning towards the sound, Emi saw a young girl, similar in age to herself, standing at the entrance. The girl's rough appearance and dark purple bags under her weary amber eyes spoke of a difficult life. Despite her disheveled appearance, there was a certain fierceness in her gaze as she stared back at Emi.

To Emi, the girl resembled a stray alley cat, toughened by life's challenges. Ignoring the weariness in her own heart, Emi mustered up a bright smile and gently placed Yumi back into the wooden structure. Standing up, she approached the other girl with an air of curiosity and warmth. "Hello! Who are you? Do you live nearby?" she asked cheerfully, extending her hand in friendship.

However, the girl only stepped back, clearly wary of Emi's friendly approach.

"I think you'd better leave. Now," the girl said coldly, her gaze piercing and sharp. Emi's smile faltered, replaced by a concerned frown as she regarded the girl's demeanor. "I don't think that was the right question," Emi murmured softly, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

"I said you should leave," the girl reiterated, but Emi seemed lost in her own thoughts, not fully registering the girl's words. After a moment of silence, Emi gathered her courage and spoke again. "My name is Emi Mori, and I live in this apartment complex. Can you please tell me your name?" Despite the girl's chilly reception, Emi's smile remained warm and inviting.

The girl hesitated, her gaze shifting between Emi's outstretched hand and her face and she thought, ' If I take her hand now , will I be able to live a normal life like the kids my age ? '  Emi's genuine warmth seemed to thaw the girl's defenses, prompting her to reach out and grasp Emi's hand. "My name is Aiko," she said softly, her voice carrying a hint of vulnerability.

"Well, Aiko, from today you're my friend and new roommate," Emi declared with a bright smile, her warmth enveloping Aiko like a comforting embrace. With a gentle tug, Emi led Aiko in the direction of their apartment building. "I hope we get along well," she added, the promise of friendship hanging in the air as they walked side by side. Aiko hummed softly in response, silently accepting Emi's offer of companionship as they embarked on a new chapter together.

Do you want more chapters?
  • Yes Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0
0