03 Arrival in Soce
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lia definitely regretted the choice to ride the horse by the time they reached the capital.

She had never learned how to ride one before now. Her whole body felt sore as if someone had beaten her. Somehow, she managed to keep some manner of dignity when Calix helped her off the horse.

If he was apologetic, she did not see as maids quickly came to usher her to a private room. She remained silent the whole time they helped her freshen up.

I suppose this is the time when they will present me to the King.

She thought to herself as the maids scurried around her.

Shortly, they finished their tasks, and they led her out of the room into the great hall.

She knew she had been there before. The only thing she remembered was that it had been huge, with a throne on a platform up several steps.

Just like the throne room in the Roam Palace.

She said nothing as she walked down the carpeted floor before stopping just before the steps.

Lia remembered that the last time the maid from Roam had been with her. This time, however, she was alone. Yet she did not feel any kind of fear.

In fact, she realized she did not feel anything at the prospect of meeting the King of Soce.

No fear, no apprehension, no excitement. Nothing at all.

She tried to think back to her dream and how she had reacted then. She had been afraid and full of despair.

Emotions that she did not have right now.

She frowned at herself and bowed. A sudden burst of pain greeted her efforts. Her muscles protesting after the abuse of riding a horse for the first time.

Somehow, she managed to stifle the groan that nearly escaped from her lips.

This is nothing.

She told herself as if that would get her body to stop aching.

“You may rise.”

She heard the authoritative-sounding voice echo through the chamber.

Glancing up, she saw the man sitting on the throne. While she had met him once before, this was just like the first time she had met him.

His features were what one would expect of a king. High, noble eyebrows. Sharp eyes and a firm but impassive smile.

He looks like Calix…

The thought crossed her mind quickly before she pushed it away as her eyes flicked to the man standing beside the throne. His position made it clear that the King trusted him, but she did not care about any of that. Her eyes merely focused on him.

Calix stood there in that dark armor with his face bare. He hardly looked any different from that last memory she had of him. Only younger. It was his eyes that caught her attention.

The bright gold she remembered was somehow muted.

It’s like something dulled his eyes.

She ignored that thought and stood. The act made every muscle in her body tremble at the effort.

“We apologize for your uncomfortable trip here, Princess.” The King spoke with that same authoritative tone.

Lia bowed her head in response.

“We hope your stay in Soce will be more pleasant.” He continued. “They sent you with the intention of marrying into the royal family. Unfortunately, that will not happen as Soce law does not permit multiple wives.”

Her heart thumped in response.

Were these the same words?

She did not remember, but she knew that it had played out like this.

The Crown Prince of Roam had sent all the documents and gifts ahead of time. She had lost whatever he had said to her in her memories. She just knew that he had told her that this was her reason for existing.

To help Roam by becoming a bride to the King of Soce.

Something that did not happen because the King had made a different decision.

“Instead, I ask that you offer our kingdom a minor allowance.” The King waved towards Calix. “You will instead marry our Grand Duke. He is the next highest in rank to myself and my queen.”

Lia bowed her head in response once more.

“We will not wrong you. You will remain titled as princess and will also gain the title of Grand Duchess of Batra.”

The words spoken were all pomp and ceremony. There was nothing she could say that would change the decision that this king had already made.

“We would normally host you within the palace, but it seems the Grand Duke wishes to return to his manor.”

Lia could hear the slight tease in the king’s voice. She knew it was not towards her.

Her eyes flicked towards Calix’s face.

He looked completely impassive. Not even so much as a smile.

“You may rest until it is time to leave.”

Lia bowed her head for a third time before turning away. She strode away as best as she could, even though she wanted to take a glance back at the pair.

She was definitely certain that this was how things had played out.

My dream was about the future.

There was no hesitation anymore. She believed that she had seen what would happen if she returned to Roam.

She was going to refuse that life with all her might.

It did not take her long to reach the room she had been in earlier.

There were several maids assigned to serve her while she waited. One had already set down snacks and something for her to drink.

“How long is the Grand Duke expected to be with the King?” She calmly asked the closest maid.

“I am not certain, Your Highness.” The maid answered with a bowed head. “He has already given orders that you are to leave for his manor once they have prepared a suitable carriage.”

“Very well.” Lia responded in a neutral tone.

She had thought it would be a long wait, but it seemed that Calix wished to return to his home as soon as he could.

The maid seemed to hesitate before she spoke again.

“If Her Highness wishes, we can leave the room so she can rest in peace.”

“You may wait outside the room,” Lia responded.

The maids looked at one another before they exited the room in an orderly fashion.

Lia watched them go and thought of the difference between the respectful behaviors of these maids and what she remembered of those four years.

No one had been polite or respectful to her. They had all been like the maid who rode in the carriage with her.

She frowned as she considered that maid. No matter how hard she thought, she could not remember what had become of the woman over those four years.

The maid must have been unimportant. Especially given everything else that happened.

I won’t let it all happen again.

Lia swore to herself.

She would never go back to Roam.

0