Does True Happiness Really Exist?
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I know the title sounds like I'm going to go on and on about nihilism and whatnot, but hear me out. After watching a certain YouTube video on Wisecrack (About Bo Burnham), I couldn't help but feel something I'm unable to properly put into words...

The video talks about how deeply ingrained nihilism has become in modern culture to the point we can't even believe in things like love or happiness without first throwing logic out the window and embracing the illusion we all live in. (My opinion. The video's actual meaning could be entirely different, but this is just me jotting down my thoughts while they're still fresh.)

From what I've experienced: People are normally unconsciously insincere to themselves and to others for the sake of fitting in with others. This could be considered the human mind naturally mimicking what is perceived to bring happiness rather than their own will.

For example: We are all told that our birthdays are special and therefore celebrate it earnestly. Some feel genuinely happy on such an occasion while others only acknowledge that the special occasion brought them happiness in one way or another.

The point I'm trying to make is: Are those who seek 'insincere' happiness wrong or is happiness itself just another craving we all seek to survive this era?

Again, I might have made this post a lot darker with that question but it's still something I have to ask... The world isn't as pretty when seen through the eyes of an extremely rational individual.

To me: The sky has no deeper meaning than to protect us from the cold vacuum of space, trees are merely tools used to gather more oxygen, and even strangers I've never met before are judged through their usefulness to me... In other words: I am not a 'good person'.

I'm nihilistic by nature. However, even someone like me can see that although the world is filled to brim with things that aren't 'right', there isn't a reason we shouldn't embrace the little joys in life.

The world is grey, lifeless, and full of insincerity. People lie for benefits and sometimes even go out of their way to stir trouble just to feed their egos.

I'm not trying to say that there AREN'T good people in the world. I'm just saddened by the fact that good people are in the minority since our current society practically strangles them with dark questions that ask like: What meaning is there to being 'good'?

People want to be unreasonable and cowardly because they've already come to the decision that the most 'sincerest' form of happiness isn't from an ideal passed to them, but selfishness.

However, who decided that selfishness is the only way to gain true happiness?

Why is it that no one accepts happiness when it comes in the form of an illusion?

In my own opinion, 'true happiness' or whatever isn't something you should be looking for. What's necessary for people to move on from nihilism is to accept reality and see the good things that are normally filtered out when in a depressed mindset. Let yourself see that not everything in life is a lie!

People like me exist everywhere, but that doesn't mean the world is wrong to have made me into who I am today. I'm a depressing guy, but even a person like me can laugh at the silliest jokes~

There is kindness buried deep within the heart's of man. That is what I truly believe from the depths of my nihilism heart! Life is still worth living!!!

Who cares is people are selfish? Who cares if the world doesn't meet the big standards I put for it? That is no reason for any person, even myself, to give in to darkness of nihilism and decide to live life while uselessly pondering about what's 'sincere' and 'insincere'!

If you feel happy, let yourself be happy.

Don't punish yourself for not living up to your ideals and don't blame the world for not living up to your standards. This is the first step to living a decent life!

I don't know if 'true happiness' really exists... but what I do know is that before moving forward towards this kind of 'grand' goal, it's best to take things step by step through small happinesses.

That's all I have to say... Peace out!!!

0