Chapter 19: Meddlesome Marx
36 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Seriously, who are you?”

“As I said, I’m the plot twi-”

“Sharpshooter, feel free to aim your gun again.” Sharpshooter aimed her gun forcefully on the stranger’s head. 

“Okay, okay! I’m Marx.” She said in a troubled tone, rubbing the part of her head hit by the rifle.

“Marx?” 

“Yeah, Karl Marx, but reincarnated as a cute girl.” A little chuckle came out of Chaos.

“...” I gave the stranger a look that said I wasn’t buying it.

“Fine, fine. I’m Marx the Jester.”

“Jester?”

“Ever play Kirby Super Star?”

“The pink puffball from Smash?”

The stranger looked annoyed at my answer, and so was Chaos, for some reason. “... You know what, I’m Chico Marx from the Marx Brothers.”

“Who?” I don’t think Karl Marx had a brother. Then again, history was never my strongest subject.

“They’re an old comedian group of brothers who performed in the world war era.” That explains why I didn’t know them.

“What made you think I’d know them?”

“I… I don’t know. Actually, now that I think about it, I have no idea how I know about them.”

“So, who are you really?” I said in a much more aggressive tone. She clearly isn’t going to tell me who she is, and this was getting too off-topic.

“I’m a Marx generator.”

“Stop it with the Marx thing.”

“I won’t. I’m doing this so that way when you name me, you choose Marx.”

“Wait… name? You’re an Avatar?”

“Yes. I want the name Marx because of communism, jesters, and so I can have more character overlap with Mara. The letters M, A, and R in our names, the comedic yet overpowered nature, that whole “I have powers a villain would have, but I’m not so bad”, and also genocide. I think she’s committed genocide. You don’t go to an isekai and not commit genocide. As for what’s different between us...” She spent a few seconds thinking with an exaggerated thinking pose. “I’m insane… I guess. Not clinically or legally insane, just casually insane. Oh yeah, I also don’t have a harem. Why the fuck does an assassin have a harem? Why don’t I have one? I wonder, could I have a harem of fellow avatars? Is loving another avatar weird? I love myself.” 

“I guess I’ll name you tha-” Before I could finish, she interrupted me.

“I’m also the mastermind behind the evil Avatars who have banded together to prevent you from getting them back. Forget about that point though, since it isn’t true. I sure hope it was true, though, since I fancy the idea of me being the main antagonist.” I tried to open my mouth to name her but found I couldn’t speak. “I sealed your mouth with duct tape. I’d rather not get named right now. It’s not my time. By the way, Sharpshooter dear, please stop holding the gun against my head, it hurts, and it’s also dirty.”

Sharpshooter put her gun down, clearly resisting. It appears this stranger has mind control abilities. “You might be wondering why I’m here. Simple. I’m going to appear after you defeat Ares and be the big bad guy. I figured I’d reveal it in advance since it’d be rude if I appeared suddenly. Understand?”

I nodded at her question. “Good… good.” 

There was an awkward silence, with only the sound of Chaos sipping wine being heard. “So… do you guys want to play Uno?”

Mara teleported into the room with a very enthusiastic look. “Did someone say Uno?”

“Yes, I did. By the way, Mara, after the battle, I plan to do this whole villain monologue, and it will contain a shit ton of swearing directed at you. Are you alright with it?”

“Uh… yeah, I guess. Who are you? Also, what battle?”

“Marx.”

“The village in Germany?”
“Possibly.”

“What do you mean by ‘possible’?”

““Huh.”” They both said in unison.

“You didn’t answer my question about what battle.”

“I’ll do that.”

“...”

“...”

“You going to do it?”

“Yeah. The battle you’ll have with Ares. I’ll do a big villain monologue, then we’ll fight.”

“That’s cool… I guess.”

“...”

“...”

“Seriously, who is this weirdo?” Whispered Mara to me before looking back at the stranger.

The two of them spent a few moments in a staring contest before Marx (Pending) bought out an Uno deck and started dealing cards to herself and Mara. “Any of you three joining?”

“I’ll join, but I will cheat by making you guys have terrible luck.” Chaos used some magic to make Uno cards appear in her hand. Pretty sure they’re all +4 wildcards.

“I’ll pass. I need to do maintenance on my rifle.” Sharpshooter walked to the kitchen, grabbing some items before jumping through the hole in the roof.

“Uh… I think I might go sleep.”

“Have a good sleep then, Evelyn.” Said the stranger, in a weirdly caring tone.

“Night night, mom.” Said Mara, in her still mocking tone.

“Sleep tight, don’t let the Eldritch beings under your bed bite.” Said Chaos in a… I have no idea what kind of tone.

Off to my room to sleep, I went. Wait… what was that about Eldritch beings?


“For a cheater, you sure suck at this, Chaos.”

“Yeah, even those dead orphans were better than you.”

“Shut the fuck up, both of you. I’m going to take a fucking huge swig of this wine, then I’m going to drunk Uno the fuck out of you two bitches. You’ll lose so hard that the only thing uglier than your loss will be the Kraken's monster form after gaming rage.”

“Try it, you hag.”

“Yeah, try it, fake office lady.”

“ARGH!!!”

It took me not even a day to write this chapter. I'm starting to feel dumb about taking 2 months to write the previous one. I looked at the release times for my other chapters, and holy shit, I'm surprised I wrote that fast. I should probably slow down so that way I don't get burnt out. Actually, would you guys like a consistent schedule, or is the current "I'll release when I finish" alright? Just asking since it turns out the moment I become an author, I forget what I liked as a reader. I'm starting to think I'm not that bright.

Oh yeah, there's a new avatar in town. I... I wasn't planning on revealing this one in this chapter, but I won't lie, I don't think I can control this one. Ironic, considering Chaos is here. I guess that says a lot about Marx. I feel like I should slow down with the character introductions, cause holy shit, a lot of them will fall into the background. Still, at the same time, I personally think it'd be hilarious to introduce character after character, inflating the character number. Well, I'll probably not do that. It'd be stupid. Then again, I'm stupid.

I've got prescribed sunglasses now. I am currently wearing them. Inside. At night. I should probably make shorter Author's Notes. Oh yeah, I remembered something. I've edited all the past chapters, so they should be easier to read now, and I know a lot of you guys will reread. Hopefully. Thanks Uni for giving free Grammarly premium. It's slightly useful. Slightly.

3