Chapter 24: Catch Up
30 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a peaceful afternoon, which was unlike previous days. It was just Mori, May, and me sitting on the table eating some toast because we forgot to have breakfast. Mori and May were having strawberry jam while I ate the toast like that since Mara had eaten all the hazelnut spread we had all by herself. Without toast. I know it was her since I found the empty container in her room.

We were enjoying our brunch, casually talking about the things I’ve missed in my coma since this was the first time since I’ve had proper downtime since then. The avatars were out, all going to do their own thing. Kageko was going to Takamagahara with Amaterasu to say hi to the rest of her family, and they dragged along Sam, who as it turns out, happened to be a huge weeb. Not surprising, now that I think about it, since she went from Swordsman to Samurai. Elizabeth was out shopping and took Mara for her convenient Storage magic, meanwhile Jade was out doing a job. Something about being a magician for a hitman’s kid’s birthday party. Chaos was, for some reason, still here but was dead asleep on the couch. The two Maris were… uh… I don’t remember, but Mari (Punk) said something about plotting, so they’re probably buying stuff at the local mall.

“I’ve only noticed it now, but why does May look like a ten-year-old?” When I first met her, she looked like a teenager, yet right now she has clearly regressed in age. 

“She’s using her magic unconsciously,” said Mori whilst eating some toast. “Her whole daughter thing is probably why.”

“Huh.” I looked at May, who was slowly nibbling away at her own toast. I will admit, she’s gotten adorable. We continued eating before we heard the door open. 

“I thought the avatars wouldn’t be here until tonight?”

“Oh, I invited Sophie.”

“Wait… you invited her?!”

“She’s our friend, and she hasn’t seen you in roughly six months.”

“I don’t dislike her, bu-”

“Hey giiiirls!!!” Sophie came tumbling into the dining room, holding a cutesy pose. She was wearing her school uniform, but she had a duck on her head for some reason. “Did y’all have a kid already? Did I miss the wedding? Why didn’t you guys let me third wheel on the honeymoon?”

“There was no wedding nor a honeymoon. Also, what’s with the duck?” Seriously, the duck is just sitting there on her head, not even bothered with the exaggerated movements Sophie constantly does.

“So you’re not denying it’s your kid?” 

“Well… technically she is, but she isn’t!” I could see small tears form in May’s eyes.

“And I’m the father!” chimed in Mori, who had moved May onto her lap as a way to console her.

“Congratulations!” shouted Sophie, with confetti magically appearing from within her sleeves.

“Thanks, I worked hard,” said Mori. “Now then, I’m curious too, Sophie. What’s with the duck?” So we’re just ignoring the kid thing, huh.

“She’s a reincarnation of some loser from a normal Earth, and I’m taking care of her. Don’t tell her, though, since she’s sleeping right now, but I’m only taking care of her so I’m an important part of her narrative, meaning I won’t die.” 

Mori and I stood there for a bit, trying to comprehend what she just said before she stuck her tongue out. “Just kidding, teehee. If I really wanted to stay alive, I’d mess around with you two.” She stared extra hard at Mori, then stared hard behind me, for some reason. I looked back and saw nothing. I then turned around right into Sophie’s finger, which poked my cheek.

“Haha! Made you look!” she said teasingly before sitting down in the seat next to me and putting on a serious face. “So… you guys have a kid now, huh. What’s her name?”

“May.”

“Cute name. She looks pretty old, and you two are pretty young, so adopted?”

“Nope. She’s an avatar of Eve.”

“Which one?” 

“Does the witch hat not give it away?” I made it, so each avatar was easy to tell by their hats.

“Look, Eve, the only avatars of yours I’ve met are the Maid and the Pirate. Although if I had to guess… the Magician?” 

“Witch! It’s obviously the Witch!”

“I thought you were going with a tarot card theming.”

“Maid and Pirate aren’t tarot cards!”

“Well, I thought they were the exceptions. Pirates are cool, and maids are hot, so of course you’d ignore your own theming for those two.”

“I’m not doing a tarot card theming, okay. I will admit it, though,” I looked down in embarrassment, “I did make the Pirate because I thought she’d be cool.”

“Pirates are cool,” said Mori, whilst giving me a thumbs up.

“Soooo… what have y’all been up to in the two weeks since Eve woke up?”

“That’s a long story.” 

We told Sophie about how my avatars split off from me and were roaming free. We were planning on omitting the Roundtable stuff, but it turns out Sophie knew Mori was Death, somehow, so we shared that part of the story. We talked about the stuff that happened in the Dreamrealm, the battle against Susanoo and the “war” against Ares. 

“Aww… why didn’t you girls call me up? I want to have fun too. That and your narrative sounds much better than this duck’s.” She pointed at the duck that was still sleeping on her head.

“I forgot about that duck.”

Sophie stood up with a determined look on her face. “I know what I’m going to do today.”

“What will you do?” asked Mori for the both of us.

“I’m going to seduce one of your avatars. I won’t be surprised if it’ll let me stay alive for hella long in this world.” There it is. Sophie constantly goes on and on about living forever, and although Gods exist, it’s tough for normal humans to be long-lived. “I see that doubt in your eyes, Eve. I’ll have you know I’m older than I look. At least mentally.”

“You sure act like it.”

She poked out her tongue, then stood up, planning to leave. “I’ll see you guys later. Remember to invite me to your wedding when it happens.” Off she went, opting to go through the hole in the roof. For some reason, the holes in my house seem to increase by the days.

Mori and I proceeded to spend the rest of the day watching movies, with May being tucked into her bed. It seemed she also regressed mentally. The movies were great, but it was a bit awkward between Mori and me after Sophie’s comments in our talk.

Sorry for being away for a bit. I was distracted. It's the final week of the break between semester 1 and 2 at my Uni, and I just remembered I'm a student and that I have exams to do for my courses. Chapter releases will somewhat slow down, as I'll be studying/procrastinating, however after next week I should be able to get into my normal chapter every 1-2 day schedule. In the meantime, I'd recommend staring at a wall whilst listening to Last Christmas by Wham!, an activity that's somewhat enjoyable. Either that or read a different story on Scribblehub. I'd recommend something, but everything I read is already being read by everyone else. Oh yeah, this chapter was hastily made, so apologies.

2