Chapter 20 – Elkington Village’s Tradition. Let me wash your back.
713 6 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After resting for several hours, Gerhart heard a knock on his front door.

Knock* Knock* Knock*

"Mister Gerhart? Are you awake? We are having dinner soon!" A young female voice sounded.

"Ah! Coming." Gerhart got up from bed and went to the door.

Upon opening the door, he saw a beautiful brunette with brown eyes. The young woman had a rustic villager charm, a young and hardworking lass with natural beauty.

"O-Oh, hello." Gerhart awkwardly greeted, smiling at her.

"Hello to you too, stud." The young woman unabashedly looked at Gerhart up and down. "I'm Havre, Asher's daughter. I'm here to pick you and your companion up for dinner."

"I'm here," Hope said behind Gerhart.

"Oh? Well, isn't she a doll?" Havre raised an eyebrow when she looked at Hope, an interested smile on her lips. "And who are you, cutey mousey?"

"I'm Hope," Hope said, a bit offended at being called a mousey.

"Nice to meet'cha, Hope. I am sure we will get to know each other VERY well soon." Havre meaningfully winked before turning around, showing her bountiful rear. "Now come along. The food isn't getting warmer."

Gerhart and Hope then followed Havre, with Hope feeling weird.

"Did... did she just flirt with me?" Hope thought. "But I don't swing that way..."

As for Gerhart, he didn't think much of anything, his eyes more focused on the swaying and hypnotic rear in front of him. Hope noticed it and pinched Gerhart's waist.

"Ow. What was that for?" Gerhart asked, feeling a bit of sting in his side.

"Nothing. I felt like pinching you," Hope said and looked away.

"Women are weird..." Gerhart thought, rubbing his side.

With his mind somewhat cleared, Gerhart looked around the large village with around 150 houses. In poor villages, usually serfs, many used cheap mud houses, sleeping on the ground on communal mattresses in one-room cottages with thatched roofs. But here, the most diminutive house was comparable to a two-and-a-half middle-class burgher's cottage in the city, made of oiled wood and bricks. They even had wooden shutters for ventilation and privacy but no glass windows. Some houses were two stories tall, suitable for the poorer gentry.

Surrounding the village was a thick wooden wall protected by female archers on sentry towers, and Gerhart noticed several warehouses, workshops, and even a training ground.

"This place is surprisingly militaristic," Gerhart noted. "But why are the sentries women? Do they lack men?"

While thinking about it, the trio reached a two-story house in the middle. Without knocking, Havre entered through the front door. "Papa, I brought the guests of honor."

When Gerhart looked inside, he saw Asher sitting at a large table with two beautiful women in their late thirties, two teenage boys, two teenage girls, and a young and attractive woman cooking in the kitchen. He also smelled a thick smell of cooked meat, raising his appetite.

"Ah, good. Come and sit." Asher said, motioning to the table.

"Okay, thank you." Gerhart smiled and sat in a seat opposite the teenagers.

"Can I sit with them?" Hope wondered. She was considered a slave, so it might be rude to sit together with them.

But while she hesitated, an early bird sat next to Gerhart. "Mind if I sit next to you, stud?" Havre said, unabashedly leaning against Gerhart's muscular arm while rubbing his leg.

"N-Not at all..." Gerhart blushed and replied. He noted that her family didn't mind Havre openly flirting with a stranger.

"Are they really okay with this?" Gerhart wondered.

"Damn, I hesitated..." Hope inwardly cursed.

"Mousey~ Come sit next to me." Havre, oblivious to Hope's distress, patted the seat next to her in a friendly manner.

"Is she mocking me? But I don't feel any malice. Is it ignorance?" Hope narrowed her eyes at the innocently smiling Havre.

"Havre, it is impolite to call Mousekin like that. Apologize." Asher, more knowledgeable of the outside world, frowned and chastised.

"Eh. I thought it would sound more intimate if I said that." Havre's smile fell and spoke to Hope. "Sorry for calling you Mousey, Hope. I am unfamiliar with your folk, being surrounded by only humans."

"Hah... It's fine." Hope shook her head and sat next to Havre.

"Well, allow me to introduce you to the family," Asher gestured at his family. "These are my life partners, Ellie-Mae and Darcy. My two sons here are Andrei and Hif, 16 and 15, and these are my youngest daughters, Esme and Milana, 16 and 14. And that beauty cooking over there is my eldest, Annabelle, 20 since last month. And, of course, my daughter, Havre, 18. I also have two older sons, but one got drafted, and another left the village to become an adventurer."

"Hah. Well, nice to meet you all." Gerhart nodded at the family.

"He had two wives? No, did he say life partners? I don't get it." Gerhart secretly thought.

"Dinner is ready!" Annabelle said, bringing over a pan full of meat and cooked vegetables.

"So much meat! At least four pounds!" Gerhart thought, amazed at the extravagance.

While thinking that, he saw the family begin praying.

"We thank Kaggyn, Goddess of the hunt and forest, for her bountiful gifts. We thank Brigva for the gift of the hearth. Amen." Asher said.

"Amen." The family repeated, and Gerhart and Hope also said.

And then, the family started cutting the meat, taking some to their plates.

"Eat up, lad. There is plenty more where that came from." Asher smiled. "If there is something we don't lack in this village, it is monster meat and wild vegetables. We have so much that we sometimes throw the excess or use it as compost."

"Well, in that case, thanks for the meal." Gerhart smiled and was about to put some meat on his plate when Havre stopped him.

"Ah, you're a guest. Let me do it." She smiled and cut big slices, putting them on Gerhart's plate.

"Thank you!" Gerhart smiled and started eating.

"It's good! Tastes like pork." Gerhart thought.

"What you are eating now is boar-man meat," Asher said.

"Wow. I heard it was a delicacy." Gerhart replied while eating.

Boar-men are not beastkin but feral humanoid monsters. In terms of intelligence, a smart one had G for intelligence, while the average was H. They did, however, have a knack for using primitive weapons. Boar-man meat is the same as wild boar meat, having evolved from boars, so there were no moral constraints in eating them aside from being humanoid. It was full of vitality and magic, making it nutritious to eat.

As Deadmeat, he had the opportunity to eat this meat on travels. But it was more because it was the leftovers.

After eating the sumptuous meal, Asher turned to Gerhart. "Well, Gerhart. What do you think about this village?"

"Well, the houses are big, almost luxurious, and it looked militaristic. And I noticed there are more women than men here." Gerhart said.

"Bingo. The houses are bigger since we are more fit and can handle the extra work to build them. We also don't lack wood in these parts since the forest here grows several times faster due to the higher concentration of magic. As for lacking men, this is partially due to our tax, which is drafting men here to the army and some becoming adventurers. The other part is, of course, natural death or accidents. I lost two boys and a daughter that way. Bless their souls." Asher replied.

"So... You take on multiple wives?" Gerhart asked, looking at Ellie-Mae and Darey.

"We are not his wives. He doesn't own us." Ellie-Mae corrected.

"We are his life partners, his equals. We live together, love each other, and produce children. But he doesn't have power over us." Darey added.

"Ah, sorry. I am unused to that." Gerhart said, awkwardly rubbing the back of his head. 

"It is fine. Many get confused over that." Asher waved his hand. "Anyways, because we lack men, it's isolated nature, and this place is writhe in danger, we practice certain traditions here."

"Traditions?" Gerhart raised an eyebrow.

"Yep. This village has around 700 inhabitants. Out of this number, about 200 are adult men, 300 are adult women, and the rest are underage. Men born here may have only one life partner at a time, while newcomers may have up to three. It is to add new blood to the mix. However, we also require newcomers to be strong and talented enough, C-rank and above. So, when we need new blood, the Adventurers Guild sends retired adventurers like me or young and talented men like you for training. Do you follow?" Asher said.

"Wait... You want me to..." Gerhart guessed.

"Yep. By next spring, I hope you will leave your bloodline here with any three willing ladies, and we will raise those kids as our own. Of course, if you want to stay in the end or want to return when you retire, you will be welcome with open arms." Asher said with a smile.

"Hmhmhm~ I am one of those willing ladies, by the way." Havre giggled, lightly leaning against Gerhart while brushing his thigh with her hand.

Except for Hope, the rest also had agreeing expressions. They were completely fine with it.

"H-Hold on now. It is too sudden..." Gerhart was a bit panicked.

"No worries, Gerhart. We are not forcing you. You will have plenty of time to think about it. But women here are proactive and tend to be very persuasive." Asher grinned.

"Okay, enough, please," Gerhart said, using his willpower to push Havre away. "What about training?" Gerhart asked.

"Ah, yes. We will wake you up in the early morning for breakfast. We will begin with either Aura or Magic. Your companion there can also join." Asher said.

"Hah. Many thanks." Gerhart said, getting up.

"Oh, and before you leave, take two buckets of hot water and towels to wash yourselves. You must want a bath, right?" Asher said.

"Many thanks." Gerhart nodded.

And so, Gerhart and Hope left the house with two buckets of hot water.

"Well, this village is weird, hah?" Gerhart said in a low voice, breaking the silence.

"... Yes..." Hope said, her thoughts unknown.

"What's wrong?" Gerhart curiously asked.

"Nothing." Hope looked to the side, refusing to speak.

"She is upset about something. I'll ask her later." Gerhart figured.

Soon, the two arrived at the house, and Gerhart and Hope took their buckets to their respective rooms. Taking off his clothes, Gerhart sat on a stool and was about to wash himself when he heard the door opening.

"Gerhart, let me wash your back."

Who is it?! Hope or Havre? (Doesn't change the end result)
  • Hope - Jealous Mousey Votes: 79 81.4%
  • Havre - Proactive Rustic Girl Votes: 18 18.6%
Total voters: 97
38