Chapter 24 – Second Thrall
698 3 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"One minute. If I am dissatisfied, I kill you."

That was the blatant threat and ultimatum Havre gave.

"If he doesn't convince her, she will kill Gerhart on the spot!!!" Hope, shaking on the side, thought in horror.

Danger signals blared in Hope's mind. She felt like they were now in a cage with a dangerous predator. One wrong move, and they die.

"If she attacks, will I have enough time to stop her? No, will I be enough? Why is she so dangerous all of a sudden?! She is unarmed!" Hope thought and then noticed Havre's palm forming a straight palm. But when she looked at it, it felt like a sharp sword. "T-This monster! She is using her hand like a sword?!"

Not knowing what Hope was thinking and the danger he was facing, Gerhart spoke. "Hope, come here."

"A-Ah! Yes..." Hope shook off her fear and walked to Gerhart, kneeling facing him. She knew his intention.

Gerhart then placed his hand on Hope's shoulder.

"Blessing. Automatic. Everything." Gerhart thought.

Under Havre's cold but astonished eyes, black energy seeped into Hope's body.

Pop* Crackle*

Sounds came from Hope's body, as her body used the accumulated reserve energy in Gerhart's body to destroy and rebuild her body to form a stronger foundation and level up.

"What sorcery is this?" Havre asked, intently looking at Hope's body. She vaguely sensed the changes Hope was experiencing.

"It isn't sorcery, but talent. I awakened it. I can improve the innate stats and talents of others." Gerhart replied, revealing part of his secret.

"..." Havre remained quiet, her interest finally piqued. She wanted to see the result- To see if it was a sham.

After several minutes, Hope's blessing ended. Hope then looked at Havre again, and she felt the threat of Havre was slightly lower. But she knew Havre could effortlessly kill her.

"You monster..." Hope shuddered.

"The mousey does feel a tad stronger," Havre muttered.

"I gave Hope 100 points of energy, and you call it a tad stronger?" Gerhart warily thought.

"Well? Is this it? Is this all you can do?" Havre asked, unimpressed. "If that is all, then you disappointed me."

"I can do more." Gerhart quickly said. "But I need energy for that. If you would allow me, I would like to absorb more energy."

"I will give you a chance. Make her at least double as strong as she is now." Havre said.

"Okay, but promise me you won't reveal what you see here," Gerhart said his condition.

"I swear upon all the gods and my ancestors that if I ever reveal your secrets, may they curse my soul for eternity," Havre said in a monotone voice. "Is that sufficient?"

"Yes." Gerhart nodded. "More than I expected."

Swearing on the gods wasn't something casually done. Although not as binding as an oath in a temple conducted by a high priest, falsely swearing lowers your favorability with a god, making your luck lower in everything relating to him. And Havre swore on the entire pantheon and even her ancestors. Gerhart couldn't doubt her anymore.

"Okay. Follow me." Gerhart said, walking to his bedroom.

Havre silently followed, and Hope also followed.

After closing the shutters, Gerhart sat in front of his box of Magic Stones, opening the 31st-floor ones.

Havre silently watched as Gerhart picked a stone and started absorbing the energy within, the stone turning to dust. Gerhart felt discomfort in his body, but it quickly subsided.

"Is this how you gain energy? Through Magic Stones?" Havre asked, intrigued.

"It is one of the ways," Gerhart replied, picking another stone and absorbing it.

He then continued absorbing the stones one after the other. Before long, all the Magic Stones in the box got absorbed.

Energy: 1708

"I am amazed. How are you not exploding?" Havre asked, fascinated.

"Would you believe me if I said I don't know?" Gerhart asked.

"..." Havre stared at him but didn't reply.

"Anyways, Hope, come here," Gerhart said.

"Yes," Hope said, kneeling in front of Gerhart.

And then, Gerhart gave Hope all the energy again, making her fall unconscious.

Pop* Crackle* Stretch* Snap*

Hope's body continued deconstructing and reconstructing, having obtained around five times what Hope absorbed until now.

"If this doesn't double her strength, I don't know what will." Gerhart thought as he picked Hope up and placed her on his bed.

Havre silently looked at Hope's transformation. The longer she watched, the more she felt Hope grew stronger. Gerhart didn't speak, just silently looking at Havre and Hope.

Finally, after close to an hour, Hope woke up.

"How do you feel, Hope?" Gerhart asked.

"Overflowing with power," Hope replied and looked at Havre. "And you feel much less dangerous now."

"But if I am careless, she can still kill me." Hope mentally thought.

"Well? Do you believe me now?" Gerhart asked.

Plop* Thud*

Gerhart and Hope were astonished. Havre bowed and kneeled in front of Gerhart, actually kissing the floor. She then raised her head to Gerhart, looking him in the eyes. "This lowly one deeply apologizes for her rude behavior, my lord. Please punish this lowly one for her transgressions."

"Hold on, please stand up... And I am not your lord." Gerhart bitterly said.

"Is this lowly one unworthy of my lord? Is this lowly one's apology not enough? Would my lord like proof of this lowly one's loyalty?" Havre asked, raising her left hand's pinky finger and about to chop it off with her right hand.

"Hold on! Stop! Okay, I accept you. So please stop." Gerhart immediately stopped her, fearing she might do something completely insane.

"I underestimated how deeply her insanity affected her. How much willpower did she have to hold on until now?" Gerhart wondered.

"Understood. What does my lord require of this lowly one?" Havre asked while on her hands and feet, her face looking at Gerhart as if he was a god.

"I haven't even used the Thrall thing, so don't look at me like that!" Gerhart inwardly cried.

"Erm... Havre. Master is uncomfortable with such behavior, so please act as usual, okay?" Hope said from the said in a calming voice.

"I see. I have inconvenienced my lord— Gerhart. My apologies." Havre nodded and stood up, looking at Gerhart with the same worshipful eyes. "Please bestow upon me this power, and I shall serve you forever."

"Hah..." Gerhart gave an exasperated sigh. "Seeing you like this, explaining things to you is redundant. But I will say this now anyway. To accept my power, you must become mine in the truest sense. You can say you will be trading your soul and never be truly free again. Are you sure you want to do this?" Gerhart asked.

Plop*

"Havre Elkington swears her body and soul to her lord." Havre knelt again, like how a knight would.

"Hah... Very well. Please stand up. I need to recharge my energy before I accept you." Gerhart said.

"You will accept me?!" Havre brilliantly smiled and stood up. "Thank you, my lord. I won't fail you."

"..." Gerhart started getting tired of her behavior but endured it. Instead, he looked at the depleted box of Magic Stones.

"Havre, would anyone notice the missing stones?" Gerhart asked.

"No, my l— Gerhart. I am the one who checks on the house. Father did this to increase my likelihood of interacting with you and conceiving a child." Havre reported.

"I am just asking, but they don't have any ulterior motives, right?" Gerhart asked.

"As far as I know, they don't. The kingdom created and encouraged villages like ours to train future talents and preserve bloodlines, ensuring the kingdom's supply of powerhouses. This village is completely on your side, Gerhart." Havre explained. "However, they monitor your progress and will make periodic reports when the kingdom's agents arrive as merchants."

"Then it is safe as long as I don't do anything exaggerated, hah?" Gerhart muttered.

"Yes." Havre nodded.

"Alright." Gerhart nodded and started absorbing 32nd-floor Magic Stones, absorbing an entire box.

Energy: 1900

"This will be sufficient to make her a Thrall, right?" Gerhart wondered.

The cost of making someone a thrall depended on their willingness compounded with their strength. Havre was wholeheartedly willing, so he wondered how much energy her strength would require.

"Okay. I am going to make you my Thrall. Don't resist and accept." Gerhart said.

"Yes. Please do so, my lord." Havre knelt again, raising a hand, palm facing the ceiling.

"Fooh... Okay. Here goes." Gerhart exhaled and held Havre's calloused hand, the testament of her struggles.

"Make her my Thrall," Gerhart ordered.

Black energy exited Gerhart's hand and entered Havre's body, beginning the conversion process. Havre didn't even shake, accepting the energy like a saving grace. No, perhaps more like the blessing of god. She was so loyal that the voice did not sound in her head, even actively guiding it into herself. And the energy seemed pleased with it.

 

Rewards to the faithful

 

At the same time, Gerhart heard a message.

 

Havre Elkington has converted successfully.

 

"Hah... That was fast. Even faster than with Hope." Gerhart thought and checked his energy.

Energy: 1780

"A hundred and twenty points, hah? Considering she is a potential Sword Saint, this is cheap." Gerhart thought.

"My Lord, I wholeheartedly serve you," Havre said, still in the same position.

"Hah... Different behavior than Hope's." Gerhart thought.

"What is your position? Gerhart curiously asked.

"Citizen, my lord," Havre replied.

"Geh?! Seriously?!" Hope, who was on the side, flinched. She was initially a slave.

"Okay, please stand," Gerhart said.

"Yes, my lord," Havre said, getting on her feet. Funnily enough, she had the same worshipping expression she had before.

"She didn't change..." Gerhart warily thought.

"What does a Citizen mean?" Gerhart asked Hope.

"Citizens are the residents of your realms and are second-lowest in rank, only above the slaves. However, they are free to roam and choose occupations, unlike the slaves, and can voluntarily change to similar low-ranking positions."

"I see..." Gerhart muttered.

"This seems more and more like some demon lord ruling his realm." Gerhart thought.

"My lord, if I may be so audacious to say, I sense I am your only Citizen and have no others above me. May I promote myself?" Havre asked.

"Don't you want to be a Personal Assistant?" Gerhart asked.

"I humbly refuse the honor. My lord already has one. May I promote myself?" Havre rejected and asked again.

"Hah... Okay. Go ahead?" Gerhart said, curious about what would happen.

"Thank you for your generosity, my lord," Havre said and closed her eyes.

 

Havre Elkington's Position has changed to Militia.

 

"Thank you, my lord," Havre gratefully said. "May I request elevation in position? I currently have no superiors."

"Hope, what is the highest military position I can give her?" Gerhart asked.

"... Wife..." Hope said with pursed lips.

"Is my lord willing to make me his wife? I shall dedicate my body to please my lord at night and in war." Havre looked at Gerhart with glowing eyes, seeming excited.

"I didn't say that, dammit!" Gerhart retorted.

"My apologies, my lord. I stepped out of my bounds." Havre said, her head lowered.

"What is below that?" Gerhart asked.

"Rulers are automatically Commanders-In-Chief of their respective armies, controlling several generals. However, they are more like kings and emperors than purely military roles." Hope explained. "Meanwhile, two more positions that don't involve governing actions are available. One is Champion, answering all challenges to your authority, facing foes in your honor. And then there is the Chief Bodyguard who protects you and your family and can appoint bodyguards."

"Well, you heard her. If you don't want to be a Personal Assistant, choose one of these three options." Gerhart said.

"I choose Champion, my Lord. I shall serve as your sword and face your foes." Havre solemnly said.

"Okay. You are now my Champion." Gerhart said.

 

Havre Elkington's Position has changed to Champion.

 

"Thank you, my lord," Havre said and stood up, a hint of pride in her eyes.

"Hah... Okay. First, let's drop the lord thing. For my safety, please behave as if like before." Gerhart said, emphasizing his safety since he knew she wouldn't listen otherwise.

"Understood. I apologize in advance for any future transgressions." Havre said, her expression returning to her usual, cheerful manner. "Is this okay, Gerhart?"

"... Yes," Gerhart replied

"I am glad. Then, I would like to ask, when will you bless me? As a Champion, I am irredeemably weak." Havre said with a pitiful look.

"You are not weak, you bloody monster!" Hope thought.

"Well, I want to... But there is a problem. If I carelessly improve your strength, it might get noticed, right? What if your changes would be noticeable?" Gerhart said his main concern.

If he improved Havre's talent like a jackass, it might lead to noticeable physical changes. It is okay to be considered a late bloomer, and if they ever suspect Hope to be one as well, they might consider it a product of freak chance. But what would happen if he added Havre to the mix?

People are not stupid. If anyone she knew paid attention and connected the dots, it would possibly spell a disaster for Gerhart.

"How about using specific blessing and raising her level first? When she leaves with us later, we can raise her talent." Hope suggested.

"I am reluctant, but Hope has a point. I shall put aside my selfishness and suffice with something as inferior as leveling up." Havre said, unwillingness thick in her voice.

To Havre, leveling up was the same as adding cheap iron to a poorly forged dagger, making it a poorly forged sword. Sure, a sword was better than a dagger, but it was still inadequate for what her mind yearned for. It was like comparing a slab of pig iron to finely forged steel.

"Wouldn't it still cause scars to heal?" Gerhart asked, concerned. "This is a village, so everyone knows everyone, and her family is bound to notice,"

"Leveling up doesn't do that. Only when you raise the innate stats and talents is it affected." Hope reassured.

"Okay. Then I will raise your level first." Gerhart said.

"Thank you, Gerhart!" Havre brightly smiled.

36