Chapter 19: High Price of Love
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day Crystal left him, the sun was shining brightly. He got a phone call from Peter Wilson in New York, “Jonathan Li, you should give me Troy Yang, or you will regret it.” When he heard Peter ‘s voice, he knew that Troy had been up to something.

“Peter, what has made you so angry? Take it easy, I'll teach him a lesson for you.” Jonathan said.

“Troy killed my son! You must bring him to see me at three o’clock this afternoon.” Peter insisted. He was stunned for half a minute when he recovered, Peter had hung up.

Peter Wilson had a big gang in his region, neck, and neck with Jonathan’s men. But Peter had built his strength for forty years, while Jonathan was just from a younger generation. Obviously, Jonathan was in an inferior position in terms of interpersonal connections.

Sometimes when they met, Jonathan greeted him as Uncle Peter. It was audacious of Troy to kill Peter’s son!!! Jonathan couldn’t bear to think of beating Troy, besides, what could change after a fight? It wouldn’t bring Peter’s son back.

Jonathan went to see Troy and just said, “Look, don’t cause any trouble, just make it look as if you died jumping off the balcony.”

Troy replied casually, “I know I am wrong, dear Jonathan. I can settle it myself.”

“How? What he wants is your life!” Jonathan shouted. He had known Troy for three years and thought of him as a brother, he certainly wouldn't have let Troy die, but the matter was too serious. He was not sure he could carry it off.

"Troy, I heard that it's for the policewoman, isn't it?" Jonathan asked.

“Yes!” he replied.

“Obviously, she has made a trap for you. She's a cop. Does she really love you? She is just taking advantage of you.” Jonathan said. Troy did not speak, nor complain or show any regret in his eyes!

Jonathan lit a cigarette and sat down at the table. Eventually, he calmed down. “I told you, don’t give your heart to others. It’s dangerous for us on the streets. We can enjoy the present, but we can’t predict our future. Love comes with a high price which we can’t afford,” he said to Troy.

Troy’s reply to that was, “I know! Jonathan, you also know that love is as addictive as drugs if you have experienced it. You can’t easily escape.”

“I haven't tried love, but I've tried heroin. You can quit!” He paused for a moment, then took a puff. “Although it’s suffering, it’s ok when you go through it.”

“Jonathan." Troy knelt and begged, “Please don't meddle with this matter. I don't want you to get involved in this nonsense.” "Don't say such words if you are my brother!” Jonathan said to him.

Jonathan seldom bothered his eldest brother, Harvey. Jonathan turned to him for Troy’s sake, “Brother, I want to negotiate with Peter.”

"Jonathan, it was Uncle Peter’s son who died. Negotiation won’t work.”

When he headed for the door, Harvey stopped him. “Take as many people as you want. But you must come back alive! It is my only demand,” Harvey told him.

“Harvey ...” Jonathan turned and looked at his face.

Since Harvey had a lover and family, he had changed. He was tired of fighting and killing in the dark. What he pursued were peace and serenity. He was completely free from brutality and aggressive ways.

The moment he heard his words, Jonathan realized that there was something about him that had not changed, brotherly affection. Harvey was still the man who stabbed himself in the chest to save him from a bullet.

He was still the man who would pat Jonathan on the shoulder and say to him smiling, "We are brothers in this life.”

"Dear Harvey, I promise you that I will not fight with them, I will not let brothers get hurt,” Jonathan assured him.

"You still don't know the rules of the game!” Harvey said and waved his hands feebly: "Go! But you must come back alive!”

0