Chapter 35: Heartache
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I sat at the piano every day, playing from morning till night until I was worn out; I sat at the table, looking at the empty chair in front of me, and ate all the food. Late at night, I carried a pile of newspapers to his study. Sometimes I watched TV, even I could waste away my whole night with advertisements and sometimes fall asleep with the phone in my arms.

I didn't know how much time had passed. When I looked at the calendar, I realized that just a week had passed. Frustrated, I threw away my music sheet and put on my clothes to go shopping. It was said that women could forget unhappy things when shopping, so I tried it.

Indeed, shopping was a pleasant thing. That entire afternoon, I walked back and forth in the men's clothing area, I bought a dozen colorful shirts, two suits, trousers, casual wear, a T-shirt, a watch, a wallet, ties, and belts. Anyway, the credit card he gave me was maxed out after I had used it.

The salesperson in the mall pointed to the heap of items in front of me and asked me if I could carry them by myself. I nodded and asked, “Could you please give me the largest bag?” She handed it to me in confusion, and I squatted on the floor and started to pack the clothes, stuffing them into the bag one by one, throwing the watch and the tie aside as garbage, then I dragged it away.

When I had no strength, I paused at the roadside for a while and continued going forward. It was the first time that I tasted the feeling of missing him. I was exhausted after only seven days. On the tenth day, I got up and headed for the hospital.

I did not go in to see him, but sat on a bench in the garden, looking at his window until dusk. How eager I was to go upstairs, to throw myself into his arms and tell him that I miss him, and I would not run away again.

But I could not let the hatred in my heart go, the ending was doomed to be tragic. I stood up, gritting my teeth and rubbing my paralyzed legs. Finally, I slipped away.

After having played the piano all day and all night, I closed the cover and curled up on the sofa to kill time. It was only the eleventh day. “How long exactly was he going to stay in the hospital? Could the nurse take good care of him? Does his wound still hurt?” I thought as time ticked away.

Thinking about it, I went to the hospital and rushed into the doctor's office. “Doctor!” I said, “How is my father's condition?"

"Who is your father?” the doctor asked.

"Jonathan Li, the one who had a car accident several days ago," I answered.

"Is he your father?” she looked at me doubtfully and showed me the case report and then said, “He has recovered well, just the mood swings. You’d better warn him that if he doesn’t want the treatment, I can’t promise any good results. "

"Thank you!” I said and read his case report thoroughly three times. Although I didn't understand the medical terminology, I memorized every item.

Walking out of the doctor's office, I was about to go home to rest when I heard a beautiful little nurse say, "He's as cool as the breeze.”

"Well, what are you doing in the ward with him every day?” the nurse next to her elbowed her and asked.

"Begging him to accept the treatment, take his medicine." She replied and put down the mirror. “In fact, he is not as horrible as people said. He had a charming appeal, when he looked out of the window yesterday, I saw his sadness, which made my heart, ache.”

My feet stood still, and I could not move further. “Yesterday? He could have seen me sitting downstairs!” I thought.

I leaned against the wall, my firm faith drained away by an invisible force. Looking down at the ground, my heart began to lose control and I felt, “Go and love him one time! He's waiting for you. Let him love you!” I shook my head, suppressing my desire, and walked towards the elevator.

"Wait a minute!” hearing Troy’s voice, I rushed to the elevator. Unfortunately, I forgot Troy was as agile and domineering as Jonathan. I was dragged into the ward by Troy, I leaned against the door and kept silent, for fear that my mouth would say something improper. I hadn't seen him for more than ten days, I was heart-broken just looking at him.

His face was very pale and gloomy, his weight had dropped. "Desiree,” he called out. As I hadn't heard his voice for a long time, I had no strength to resist it. He reached out his hand to me and asked, “What does your so-called good ending mean? Describe it, and I will make it come true.”

"I hope, I hope to stay with you forever,” I told him.

"Well!" he exclaimed.

I ran over and held him tightly, not worrying about his wound. I also realized that I was wrong, but I loved him, and I couldn’t resist his firm and persistent love!

0