Chapter 10: Big Leagues
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I have won my last three contest in a row with gold medals when it happens, I get a team offer, they want me to become a professional skater. Skate against the big names, well maybe not quite the biggest names yet, but at least enter the same level. I won’t be flying around yet and it will all be semi local but this is the first time mum worries. She wanted me to finish my education, at least to a basic level, I am not exactly bad at school but I really don’t put in the effort and have maybe slightly below average grades. She comes around the next day just saying how it felt very sudden and she is behind me no matter what.

 

We sign the contract a few days later. I am with ‘Vert Sect’, as a starter team they are good to get my name out. I might get my first personal decal soon if I can start placing in contests. I rarely see any of my old crew, I am travelling a lot more, hitting new parks often and still have to focus on my school work cramming it in whenever there is downtime. I am already a bit behind but sometimes a ‘school day’ means I don’t get to skate at all. Tomorrow however, tomorrow is my first official pro contest, new clothes, new shoes, new board, old trucks.

 

The day of the contest is wild. I am use to crowds but it is still very small at Am level, Pro level? That’s another story. Even the park I skate at are a lot bigger now, there are mega ramps, quite large halfpipes, quarter pipes, pools and the usual stuff. I admit it terrifies me a lot and I haven’t been pushing my tricks as much to prepare for this, I want to play it safe and confident. A few big names have entered including Tommy Eagle the guy actually on the box of the skating games. I am not completely fangirling, but some of his tapes are amazing. I am not expected to place on the podium, but I really want to make it. I am still in the mindset I want to prove myself.

 

My run? It isn’t special, I am not competing with small time skaters now, I am against pros. It isn’t enough to be good, you have to be incredible. Tommy also followed me so I was completely overshadowed. Still I got to skate. I got to skate in a park I have never been to before, and I got a few more runs spread out over the day. I feel I need to expand my tricks and while I mostly watch the vert contest I catch a glimpse of the street contest since I heard Casper was here. Thing is, Randall Mull is competing, he invented a lot of the tricks we use and it isn’t really a contest there either.

 

“Hey Casper!” I call out after his final run ends and I am done for the day.

“Cel? Shit already at the big leagues,” he hugs me.

“I managed to see a few of your runs, your switch stance has gotten a lot stronger,”

“Yeah, I have been trying to work on it to vary my lines, still stoked to be here,”

“I know what you mean, I don’t think I did very well but I got to skate somewhere new and watch Tommy Eagle, I can’t tell you how many of his tapes I have seen, but to see him in person, have him shake my hand, sorry I am just fan girling a bit,”

“I know what you mean, Randall Mull crushed me, but he liked my style,”

“Everyone is awesome here, it is like the home group on a worldwide scale.”

“Got your results yet?”

“No, there is a few more runs to finish but I am looking at around ninth I imagine,”

“Pretty solid for a new pro,”

“What about you?”

“If I am lucky I will get sixth but there are a few strong people to go, just meeting Mull was enough to make my day,”

“I know what you mean, shame Ryan hasn’t gotten to be pro yet,”

“Hate to break it to you kid but, I don’t think he has it,”

“Think he is a Vinny?”

“Probably not that bad but I think he should have specialised a bit more, he is fairly decent at both but you poured yourself into vert and I focused on street, he might make it one day but it is harder to be an all-rounder,”

“True, I should get back to my team anyway,”

“Who did you sign with?”

“Vert Sect,”

“Nice, I am still with Rail Squad,”

We share a hug again before parting ways. If had to describe it all, meeting up with Casper again was just the cherry on top of an amazing day. Sure I didn’t get the podium, but no one expected a new pro to get that high. I am happy to be here surrounded by people who get me, I don’t have to be an outcast, and we can talk about lines or what spots we have hit up. I am in my element, my team is friendly and while I am the youngster they never leave me out or treat me as a kid, I am a teammate, someone that is on the same level. It is a family. Speaking of family after seeing the team I get to see mum again who can’t help but be proud of me. She sees I don’t take it to heart that I placed eleventh, actually that is about middle of the pack in this contest so I am honestly impressed with the result. Casper got sixth in the end and partied a bit with his team, no invite for me, I am still a minor and well they went drinking, I thought he was still underage. I head to the hotel after a minor signing session and pass out on the bed. I am living the life all thanks to a man I hate and a mum who supported me.

1