Author’s Afterthoughts
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This was a wild ride, from a short story that I thought I couldn’t do justice to, to making it something big only a few days later. I hit 21 thousand words odd on the first day, a new record that I hope I never come close to again. The next day I wrote another few thousand and felt sad. I was done, I learnt on my last released story that sometimes you have to say enough is enough and stop there, no matter how much you love the characters, no matter how much you want to keep going. You have to stop.

That wasn’t the end however. I ended up writing another short story. In a span of 5 days I had written Skater Girl and Skater Boy (which had the working title of ‘Street Skater’ for a while. Skater Boy is the spin off about Casper’s version of the story. I plan to upload it (as of writing these afterthoughts I know it needs a lot more editing than this story). At first I didn’t know the idea of what happens after the end of Skater Girl, what happens to Celia after this moment? Now I do know.

This was a story of a rise, fall and rebirth across 3 arcs. It felt like an open ending was best, I wasn’t sure if I was giving her a gold medal but after everything I felt she deserved it. Would she go pro again? At the time I had no idea, it wasn’t about that. This was Celia’s story of growing up and it ends before she is even in her mid-twenties and I am okay ending there. It took editing it seriously to figure out it that it was her coming of age story and not her life’s story. I had multiple other ideas, I even have the idea of a ‘Skater World’ spin-off / sequel and I am not sure what will happen there. Skater Boy is likely to see the world, but Skater World? I don’t know. I don’t have enough material for it to be a realistic project yet (but have some chapters that I feel add a lot). Many people might wonder about other characters, all I know is that I don’t plan to write a spin-off for Ryan or Adrian, nor for Celia’s father or any of the people at her school involved in stealing her painkillers. Maybe Skater World will become a thing that fills in all the gaps, maybe not.

I also worked out what caused her accident, it wasn’t intended and she likely wouldn’t figure it out for a long time if she did, but for anyone that wants to know it was the board giving out. She had been using Scarlet (and the trucks on Scarlet on sponsored boards) for so long that the stress just got to them and caused a moment of unsteadiness. Her created trick also stresses the board a lot more than normal skating and she was constantly working on it.

With that I will wrap this up and simply finish up.

I hope you enjoyed this story as much as I did, until next time.

0