Chapter 1
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Xiuying studied the woman sitting alone at the corner of the tavern. She was dressed in servant attire, and the way her eyes scanned left and right like a cautious cat convinced Xiuying that the guest was here for business.

She smiled.

This one is mine.

How long had it been since she had a client? Three weeks? One month?

Xiuying schooled her features into a mask of neutrality. She walked toward her client-to-be and then placed the tray on the table. The woman handed her a scroll with a knowing glance and poured herself a wine. Xiuying kept her face bland as she slid the scroll into her sleeve. But before she could walk away, the woman placed a small box onto the tray. Xiuying casually grabbed it and left without another glance.

Taking a seat on her bed, Xiuying unfurled the scroll. As she did so, another piece of paper fell on the floor. She frowned. Picking it up, she studied both scrolls. One was a portrait of a woman who looked to be about two or three years younger than her. Her hair was twisted into a bun on each side of her head and was adorned with a hairpin, indicating that the woman was from a renowned household.

The other was a letter written in graceful handwriting with basic information on the target and the plan. The woman in the portrait was Ye Yunxi, daughter of the Marquis of Zhaolu.

Putting down the scrolls on the bed, she picked up the small box next to her and opened it. What greeted her eyes was a jade necklace. Just as stated in the letter. Xiuying lifted the necklace to her face and gazed at it with awe. The jade pendant hanging from a gold chain was carved in the shape of a gourd.

Anyone could tell how expensive this necklace was with just a glance. Only those born into nobility and wealth could afford something like this. Just like the woman on the painting scroll.

A small smile crept over Xiuying's lips.

If this isn't an opportunity knocking at my door.

As the thought crossed her mind, she heard an actual knock.

"Feiyu?" said a voice from behind the door.

"Come in."

The door slid open and a young man entered her room. But he didn't walk any further and just leaned against the door. He gestured towards the scrolls.

"A client?" Yanxiao asked.

"Yeah," Xiuying answered with a smile, returning her gaze to the necklace. "I'll take this one."

"I'm not going to ask you any questions," Yanxiao said. "But let us know if you need a backup."

Xiuying wasn't looking at him, but she could hear the smile in his voice.

Yanxiao was one of the only two people who knew about Xiuying's real identity as a woman posing as a man named Feiyou, but no more than that. Xiuying was glad that her Shifu kept the rest about her a secret. It would be tough to have more than one person around her aware of who she truly was and her connection to the Yuan Clan of the Imperial Family before the tragedy happened.

As a man, Xiuying's long dark hair was twisted up in a topknot with a white headband wrapped around her forehead, similar to Yanxiao and any other men in the Kingdom of Yu.

"I appreciate it, Yanxiao, but it might be the last client I would take."

Yanxiao frowned. "What do you mean?"

Xiuying smiled as she stared at the jade pendant. Then she said, in a very quiet voice, "I'm thinking of applying for another job."

And then a thought hit her.

The smile on her face turned sly. She placed the necklace back in the small box as carefully as she could and turned to look at Yanxiao.

"Actually, I changed my mind," Xiuying said. "Would you mind taking this job instead?"

***

"Are you sure about this?" Yanxiao asked after Xiuying revealed her plan to him. "I mean, I don't really have any issues playing a part in this. But if this plan works out, as I believe it will, then that means you're leaving."

Xiuying was quiet for a moment before she said, "Yes and no. I'm leaving the Plum Blossom Pavilion, but I'm not cutting my connection with the company in any way. So I'll still be part of this organisation. That is, assuming the group agrees with that."

She might have told him about her plan, but she hadn't divulged the main reason behind it. Yanxiao never questioned her intentions either, which she was genuinely grateful for.

Yanxiao sighed. "You would need to talk to others about this plan of yours, especially Shifu. But in this, you have my back, Feiyou. Whatever happens, you are a part of the Plum Blossom Pavillion."

Xiuying gave him a small smile.

The Plum Blossom Pavilion, located on the outskirts of the Capital, appeared to be an ordinary inn on the surface, but it was in fact a hidden assassin organization that Xiuying was part of ever since she survived that day.

This place almost felt like home to her, and the people here were almost like family to her, but now she had come to a decision to leave. She had to sacrifice comfort in order to achieve her goal. Nothing was permanent--she had already realized that after she lost her friends and family in an attack three years ago. According to the information she gathered, every clan loyal to the Imperial Family was either slain or forced into slavery. And the Hua Family was among those killed.

Until now she still couldn't believe it. She still couldn't accept the fact that her father, the greatest general in the Kingdom of Yu, was defeated.

"I hope you won't forget us." Yanxiao's teasing voice snapped Xiuying out of her reverie.

"How could I forget, when I would need the company's assistance at any time?"

It was late at night, and the Plum Blossom Pavilion closed its doors to customers. As everyone prepared to go to bed, Xiuying headed straight to Dishi's room and informed him about her plans.

Dishi was the owner of the Plum Blossom Pavilion, a man who was old enough to be someone's grandfather. But that was how appearances proved to be deceiving. Despite his age, his strength and skills in martial arts were no less inferior than the warriors who were decades younger than him. His subordinates mostly referred to him as Shifu. He was the one who saved Xiuying during an attack on the Imperial Palace, the only one who was aware of who she really was. If it hadn't been for him, Xiuying would not be here today.

"I want to thank Shifu for everything," Xiuying said as she bowed before Dishi.

"I'd be lying if I said I'm not upset with your decision."

Xiuying's eyes widened. "Shifu-"

Dishi held up a hand and interrupted. "That's only because you are like a daughter to me, Feiyou. Which father would not be upset by his children's departure?" He let out a sigh and smiled. "But I'm pleased to know that you haven't lost sight of your path. As much as I'd like you to stay here, I'd feel even worse if you did." He paused and then said, "I know how badly you want vengeance on those who took everything from you."

Xiuying couldn't help but smile. Honestly, she saw Dishi as more of a grandfather than a father, but she wouldn't dare say that. However, despite having lived with him for three years, Xiuying knew little about her Shifu aside from the fact that he owned a tavern and led an assassin organization.

Who Dishi really was, Xiuying had yet to know.

"You're smart and have excellent combat skills; I believe you'll do well on your own," Dishi said. "However, please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you need help."

"Shifu is too kind. This subordinate is truly grateful."

Dishi chuckled, his eyes filled with warmth like those of a parent. "I'll remember every word you said today, Feiyou. If you're really grateful, then stay alive and try to avoid getting into too much trouble."

Xiuying returned to her room afterwards. The only light was from a single glowing candle on the table. She sat down on the bed and stared at the candle flame as it flickered steadily. Reaching into her sleeve, she pulled out the sharp object she always carried with her.

It was a golden butterfly hairpin.

This hairpin was as valuable and expensive as Ye Yunxi's jade necklace. No--more valuable and expensive.

She had no idea why she had kept it with her up until now. The person who gave it to her was nothing more than a stranger, a monster she wished she had not awakened. But, somehow, the thought of getting rid of it never crossed her mind.

Her fingers tightened around the hairpin, yet the icy metal never seemed to warm her skin. She gazed at its sharpness.

Perhaps the reason she always carried it around was because it could be used as an emergency weapon. And one sharp enough to slice someone's flesh.

The first time she used it as a weapon was to protect someone she now sought to destroy.

0